• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Jag

Goddam. Used up my 2
yarrow plants
that I need for a quest and I can't find anymore. Anyone see any other than the ones growing because I think I took those already?

Is there a way to move around the map easier? I know fast travel exists, but that's not the issue. The issue is, the maps can be pretty dense, and while you can drop markers and waypoints, it's still extremely annoying to move around towards specific places. Unless I'm missing something, you can't simply bring up the world map and then click on an area to view that area. It only allows you to make markers and notes.

I used a movenent speed mod in the first game just to cut down on length of time backtracking and it was sound. There's probably one out already for this.

Sanctuary

I used a movenent speed mod in the first game just to cut down on length of time backtracking and it was sound. There's probably one out already for this.

Movement speed isn't the issue. It's the ultra zoomed in minimap, which makes it pretty much useless for navigation and not being able to look at the world map, point to anywhere and then focus in on that area and click the ground so that my party moves there. Like pretty much every other isometric CRPG ever besides Divinity.

Sou Da

Movement speed isn't the issue. It's the ultra zoomed in minimap, which makes it pretty much useless for navigation and not being able to look at the world map, point to anywhere and then focus in on that area and click the ground so that my party moves there. Like pretty much every other isometric CRPG ever besides Divinity.
I honestly assumed there something wrong with my game when I couldn't do that lol.

Burt

Anyone know where Gareth is?

I cleared out the vault before going to the Amadia camp, so they want me to find him and say he went that direction, but he doesn't seem to be in there.

Ryzaki009

Because I had the lovely time of being forced to cheese 2 archers because they'd rip through my armor (both physical and magical that was fun) in one turn before stunlocking me and then I'd die the enxt turn unable to do jack squat. That's not fun. Eventually I cheese the fight by spamming totems beforehand but I shouldn't have to do that.

I guess I'll play this when it doesn't crash constantly. What a disappointment.

? I've been playing for 16 hours and I haven't had a crash yet.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, I really love the game but I don't know what it is with Larian and brutal early game difficulty.
You are basically forced to do every sidequest available to even hope to have a chance in some of the encounters. The jump from Lvl 3 to Lvl 4 is especially brutal.

Personally, I don't mind but I imagine this might turn a bunch of people off.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really love the game but I don't know what it is with Larian and brutal early game difficulty.
You are basically forced to do every sidequest available to even hope to have a chance in some of the encounters. The jump from Lvl 3 to Lvl 4 is especially brutal.

I recall D:OS (before the EE) was incredibly harsh with levels and stuff also. I wonder if this is a case where they will de-tune the difficulty over time and those who come to the game later (from sales or whatever) will never know the troubles.

I will say that I intend to play it on one of the easier modes based on what I'm hearing about the AI so far.

Ricker

This is why I never finished the first...that first chapter took forever but I loved it,it was hard but I managed but at some point in the second act,there was a section I just could not beat and just gave up on it,unfortunatly...looks like its the same again...?

Anno

Got an hour or two before I can jump in and make a character. What's everyone been enjoying class/play style wise?

carlsojo

Yeah it needs some tuning or it's going to turn me off of future playthroughs. Unless there's some early game skills that let you bypass armor or something that I haven't found.

Fantastapotamus

I recall D:OS (before the EE) was incredibly harsh with levels and stuff also. I wonder if this is a case where they will de-tune the difficulty over time and those who come to the game later (from sales or whatever) will never know the troubles.

I will say that I intend to play it on one of the easier modes based on what I'm hearing about the AI so far.

I'm playing on what is considered normal and I'm now at a point where I feel good about my team. I got my ass kicked so hard by pretty much every non-trash encounter so far, but since I hit lvl 4 things got considerably more manageable.

This is why I never finished the first...that first chapter took forever but I loved it,it was hard but I managed but at some point in the second act,there was a section I just could not beat and just gave up on it,unfortunatly...looks like its the same again...?

It kinda is, even tho I absolutely adore the game

Yeah it needs some tuning or it's going to turn me off of future playthroughs. Unless there's some early game skills that let you bypass armor or something that I haven't found.

The armor concept is just brutal. Especially early on when you are still just wearing rags.
Also I basically got used to fighting in Fire/Poison cause I feel like the enemies just constantly barf AoE spells.

I do wonder if playing as 4 Conjurers just breaks the game tho, since I finally got my Totem ability things got a lot more manageable (I didn't pick Totem at the beginning which was a big fucking mistake)

Artdayne

Yeah, early on is really hard. I came into the game with a lot of knowledge because I've played through the EA twice and going into tactician was insanely brutal. I gave up on it for now and started over on classic but now i'm at a point at level 6 where things mostly feel very easy at this point.

How brutal is tactician mode?

It is very brutal, much more so than tactician in DOS 1. It's just very difficult to cut through all of their armor (magic/physical) in order to do damage to them, even when you are at the same level as them. I imagine it gets easier with gear but I gave up on it around level 3-4.

Someday, I'll play the first one I bought 60€ on PS4 for more than one hour, so I can get why everyone I know is raving about it.

Good to see a critically acclaimed Kickstarter game have a sequel

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, early on is really hard. I came into the game with a lot of knowledge because I've played through the EA twice and going into tactician was insanely brutal. I gave up on it for now and started over on classic but now i'm at a point at level 6 where things mostly feel very easy at this point.

I remember OS 1 being the same.
The first ~5 levels were just insanely brutal but things got way easier after that.

It's pretty shitty apparently.

It's essentially a 50% stat inflation, where it kind of doesn't matter what your Wits are at, enemies almost always go first, hit way harder and take an eternity to kill (more armor too).

+50% damage
+5 Ini
Extra health and armor.

Geez, that sounds straight up broken.

J4g3r

Early games spoilers regarding a certain NPC:

Sebille killed Stingtail before I had any idea he was where to buy Pyrokinetic Skillbooks, am I boned or will I find another vendor that sells them down the line?

Fantastapotamus

Sebille killed Stingtail before I had any idea he was where to buy Pyrokinetic Skillbooks, am I boned or will I find another vendor that sells them down the line?

You and me both.
I'm sure there will be another one down the line but it'll probably take some time.

(I really don't like how seemingly random NPCs are the skill book vendors. You basically have to try and trade with every character to find out who sells what)

Sanctuary

If it plays out like the first game, you'll be able to find a few more vendors of the same school types. They however don't always sell the same lower level spells. IMO they are all kind of junk anyway other than Haste and Peace of Mind. Necromancy and Hydrosophist seem to be the strongest in this game too in terms of direct manipulation. Necromancy by far. It also synergizes nicely with...everything.

carlsojo

I reloaded and pickpocketed.

Decado

For whatever reason this game doesn't appear in the new release or top sellers tab on the front page. Only shows when you go to the link at the bottom. It it isn't having a negative effect on sales.

Anno

For whatever reason this game doesn't appear in the new release or top sellers tab on the front page. Only shows when you go to the link at the bottom. It it isn't having a negative effect on sales.

Games you own don't appear in the top sellers lists on the main page. You have to click through to get to them. I assume that's the issue here. Though yeah it's kinda silly that coming out of EA doesn't get you in the notable new releases tab.

Unai

It's essentially a 50% stat inflation, where it kind of doesn't matter what your Wits are at, enemies almost always go first, hit way harder and take an eternity to kill (more armor too).

I've barely had any fights until now, but I'm thinking about restarting on classic now.

J4g3r

Alright, thanks guys - I figured there might be another vendor somewhere down the line, just hate that I've missed out at the start.

Reloading isn't worth it either because I'm like 6 hours ahead in-game from when it happened, not doing all that again!

This is my team so far:

Fane: Necromancer, Geomancer, Hydrosophist

Lohse: Pyrokinetic, Hydrosophist, Aerotheurge

Sebille: Scoundrel, Huntsman

Beast: Warfare, Polymorph
I reloaded and pickpocketed.

You don't get them all that way, right?

I've tried killing/reloading to see and you only get 2 out of what they actually sell... D:

I've barely had any fights until now, but I'm thinking about restarting on classic now.

I started various times in tactician,trying differents builds and such. After some hours I decided that I would definitely enjoyed the game much more in classic mode. I restarted and that is definitely the case. I feel they will patch it to make early game more balanced. This is only for singleplayer; maybe multiplayer is less frustrating and less punishing. The biggest problem for me is not the enhanced stats but also that it makes every enemy a sponge with high health and armor values, making combat tedious.

Sanctuary

You don't get them all that way, right?

I've tried killing/reloading to see and you only get 2 out of what they actually sell... D:

The trick is to have at least one item with +thievery and +scoundrel. Rings are the best since anyone can use them, and gloves or boots that don't have a higher requirement than 10 finesse works. You then have each character in your party steal by equipping those items. Of course, this is entirely reliant on you finding those items in the first place. Also, have one person in the group talk to the NPC you want to steal from to keep them locked in place. After one person has stolen, send them away a bit from the group so that the NPC can't search them when they want to search your party because they realize they've been robbed.

Favourite combo so far
- Raise dead body as a Bloated corpse
- Self destruct the bloated corpse
- Cast decay on an enemy in the blood
- Cast blood sucker

Undead/Necromancer really bring to life some new combos, which i though were clunky in EA.

Ya its ridiculous.
The AP boost is insane.

It's still early (just wiped out the Fort and am level 5), but so far Fane's undead hasn't actually been all that helpful. It also makes sense to give him Necromancy for self healing since poison isn't very reliable (unless your other Wizard attacks him with poison wands), and it's actually unsafe to make poison clouds for healing too against other casters since they can just blow them up.

Favourite combo so far
- Raise dead body as a Bloated corpse
- Self destruct the bloated corpse
- Cast decay on an enemy in the blood
- Cast blood sucker

Undead/Necromancer really bring to life some new combos, which i though were clunky in EA.

Ya its ridiculous.
The AP boost is insane.

Vamphuntr

I'm getting crashes too.. what GPU do u have?

1070. I solved it by deleting all my saves. Make a manual one using your most recent save and delete the rest.

If you guys are wondering the characters you didn't recruit follow you to the new area after Act 1 even if you didn't recruit them in the first place.

Gyoru

Anyone know where Gareth is?

I cleared out the vault before going to the Amadia camp, so they want me to find him and say he went that direction, but he doesn't seem to be in there.

Gareth is outside the Braccus Armoury (there should be a quest flag there) being assaulted by a bunch of magisters. The Braccus Armoury is located north of the Burning Pigs and quite a bit north of the camp/hideout. There is a Waypoint right where he is.

Lanrutcon

Not feeling the combat at all.

The original's combat was fine. It didn't need this armor bullshit.

It's basically "That Thing You Want To Do Won't Work(tm): The System".

Vengal

I'm a pretty big fan of the armor system but I did play early access for a long enough period of time that maybe I just got used to it.

kionedrik

I think it's that, too. Or at least better AI. Didn't enemies get a stat bump on Tactician in the first game too? Maybe I'm misremembering.

They were stronger but the stat difference wasn't too massive, perhaps a 10%-30% increase. The biggest difference was the enemy party composition and number of enemies, for instance the first fight in classic was 2 humans and in tactician was 2 humans + 2 summons.

TheChaos

Magic was super broken in the first game. Like halfway through the game you get access to a bunch of spells that you could spam over and over to win, even on Tactician.

This armor system makes it so that you have to use physical attacks now.

Lanrutcon

I'm a pretty big fan of the armor system but I did play early access for a long enough period of time that maybe I just got used to it.

Maybe I'll enjoy it more once I get armor like the enemies are wearing. I also get 50+ physical armor sets at level 3, right? Can't wait. I'm level 4, so I probably just haven't found a non-shitty trader yet.

Shahadan

Maybe I'll enjoy it more once I get armor like the enemies are wearing. I also get 50+ physical armor sets at level 3, right? Can't wait. I'm level 4, so I probably just haven't found a non-shitty trader yet.

Quest rewards and some loot will help. My hp rarely get dented anymore, armor stacks up pretty easily, but yeah you just have to have enough items to fill the slots.
The system seemed like an annoyance to me at first but it makes you have priorities and you can't cheese anything immediately with status effects.

Also pickpocket and steal stuff.

Okay I've finally escaped Fort Joy... but apparently that's not the end of the First Act! So exciting. At the Hollow Marshes now and met the undead vendor dude right on the bridge, wonder where I should go now. I still have Vault of Braccus Rex quest to do, hope I didn't miss it

JambiBum

For people worrying about gear once you get out of the prison and to the first real hub area you get better stuff and should be fine for fights if you know what you are doing

Lanrutcon

Quest rewards and some loot will help. My hp rarely get dented anymore, armor stacks up pretty easily, but yeah you just have to have enough items to fill the slots.
The system seemed like an annoyance to me at first but it makes you have priorities and you can't cheese anything immediately with status effects.

Also pickpocket and steal stuff.

Does pickpocket ever reset? It says I can't pickpocket people anymore.

Top Bottom