• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Does sneaking need to be leveled up to get any use out of it in combat?

Nah. So long as you're outside of a person's field of view you're "hidden." Levelling it up makes the view cones smaller and makes sneak-walking faster, to facilitate moving around vision cones (probably more helpful in combat areas than towns, but eh). It doesn't actually affect how quickly enemies spot you once you're in their vision cone, because that's 100% binary. You can be an OK thief with 0 stealth skills.

And don't assume invisibility is automatically better: you're still revealed if in LoS, so presumably a high level stealth skill will be necessary for the most well-guared individuals. Even when distracting people around the target, sometimes they're in a bad spot to actually steal from.

On that note, DOS2 has the best pickpocketing loot I've ever seen. It's an embarassment of riches in every (vendor) pocket.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know this has been asked before, but where do dismissed companions go within Fort Joy? I wanna temporarily dismiss one to play with one of the others for a bit and quest with them, but I don't want to be without them until the next chapter or hub or whatever.

They go back to where you found them.

Quick question, is there a way to cure (act 1 spoiler)
the elf Verdas that is locked in the fort prison? Never managed to save him in the EA version, but I'm ready to do the final fight on the island so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for him.

Alric

Is there anywhere that list what skills or canon lore the companion characters have, that way I don't overlap when creating my main character?

Massicot

Any tips for what to do with the various Soul Jars? I absorbed
Wither whatevers
, broke
trompjoys
, I'm holding onto the rest for now.

So everyone fighting Griff is interesting. I took a different tack.

I retrieved his "oranges", gave them back to him and fingered the lizard as the person who took them. I then booked it across town to the lizard just in time to find the assassin he sent to kill the lizard, I killed her, saved the lizard and kept Griff alive.

My haughty lizard didn't like the tone of Griff so I killed him and all his lackeys. Before that I had seduced one of his soldiers with Beast through some smooth talking, was pretty cool to see her taking our side.

Trickster

So uhm, is this game just ridiculously hard/poorly balanced, or what's the deal? I'm playing on the normal setting, and I've felt underpowered pretty much ever since getting off the ship at the very beginning. I'm exploring and doing as much side stuff as I possible can, and yet pretty much every fight I get it, I'm only just barely managing to win, or I just get completely fucked. I just reached some magister called
Kniles
, and it's just completely impossible to win

Gothos

So uhm, is this game just ridiculously hard/poorly balanced, or what's the deal? I'm playing on the normal setting, and I've felt underpowered pretty much ever since getting off the ship at the very beginning. I'm exploring and doing as much side stuff as I possible can, and yet pretty much every fight I get it, I'm only just barely managing to win, or I just get completely fucked. I just reached some magister called
Kniles
, and it's just completely impossible to win

Not sure you're suppose to fight him :) In general look at enemy level - if it's 1-2+ higher than yours then don't fight - you will be owned :)

Lanrutcon

Loving the 30 minute battles. Armor sure was a good idea.

*Watches the enemy run through a firestorm like it doesn't matter, cast Frost Armor, cast Restoration for the nth time*

Lucifon

Does the game get more difficult / can you adjust the difficulty? Just got into the Marshes and I'm starting to feel pretty overpowered. Level 5 and just destroyed a Level 8 enemy which the game warned me to flee from due to being too 'powerful' at the moment.

Trickster

Does the game get more difficult / can you adjust the difficulty? Just got into the Marshes and I'm starting to feel pretty overpowered. Level 5 and just destroyed a Level 8 enemy which the game warned me to flee from due to being too 'powerful' at the moment.

Could you tell me how on earth you're managing to feel overpowered? I have the exact opposite problem where everything feels like a raidboss even though I'm at the same level

JC Sera

Could you tell me how on earth you're managing to feel overpowered? I have the exact opposite problem where everything feels like a raidboss even though I'm at the same level
did you play the first game?
I takes a while to learn all the little
cowardly dirt bag
strategic tricks that evens up combat a bit
sneak around and save scum b4 every fight
use terrain (poison terrain+fire=boom, water terrain+electricity=stun, water terrain+ice=slippery, blood functions the same as water for both of those) and barrels to your advantage

I'd also advise doing non-combat quests to level up if you can, and scrounge around for better equipment

Massicot

Like someone earlier said, getting equipment instead of the rags and empty slots you start with is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Lucifon

It sounds like you're earlier than me from your previous post. I also felt severely weak early on but once I got a party of 4 along with a few decent weapons things started to change rapidly. I was also scraping by on battles. Ended up taking some I felt I might not need to and using pretty much my entire stock of res scrolls. Thankfully you're rewarded for some tough battles.

kai3345

Banned
Is there no way to dismiss dead party members? Red Prince died on me, and I'm out of resurrection scrolls, so I wanted to replace him with Beast until I get more.

Damn just found out that according to the wiki I wont be able to continue Sebilles quest

According to the wiki if you tell Griff that Stingtail was the one who stole from him then i guess it prevents you from advancing Sebilles quest. I try talking to Griff with Sebille but all he wants to do is trade :(. Guess I'll have to try again next playthrough.

Bread

Banned
After playing a ton of coop on early access and waiting for the full release to play single player, i realized that single player is way more fun. Can't wait to start DM mode.

Sanctuary

Spell combinations:

Skill Combination: Air + Summoning
Effect: Electric Infusion

Players’ minions will switch to electrical and also learns the electrical discharge.

Skill Combination: Air + Hunter
Effect: Erratic Wisp

The target will teleport to a random location when hit by this skill combination.

Skill Combination: Air + Scoundrel
Effect: Smoke Cover

This combination creates a smoke cloud that is centered on the player.

Skill Combination: Air + Warfare
Effect: Breathing Bubble

This skill combination grants players immunity to gas clouds and from suffocation.

Skill Combination: Air + Necromancy
Effect: Vacuum Touch

This skill combination causes damage, suffocation and silence.

Skill Combination: Air + Polymorph
Effect: Vaporize

This spell combination turns surfaces into clouds and cures the petrification and frozen effect.

Skill Combination: Water + Summoning
Effect: Water Infusion

With this skill combination, the minion switches to water and also gains restoration.

Skill Combination: Water + Hunter
Effect: Cryotherapy

Converts the nearby frozen surface to magic armor.

Skill Combination: Water + Scoundrel
Effect: Vampiric Hunger

This skill combination causes 50% life steal for two turns.

Skill Combination: Water + Warfare
Effect: Cleanse Wounds

This spell combination causes heal, removes burn, disabled, decay, poison, and bleed effects.

Skill Combination: Water + Necromancy
Effect: Blood Rain

This combination douses fires and makes enemies bleed.

Skill Combination: Water + Polymorph
Effect: Healing Tears

Generates tears that will heal the nearby allies.

Skill Combination: Fire + Summoning
Effect: Fire Infusion

This skill combination makes the minion to switch to fire and it learns fireball.

Skill Combination: Fire + Hunter
Effect: Explosive Trap

This combination sets up a trap which explodes when someone touches it.

Skill Combination: Fire + Scoundrel
Effect: Sabotage

The grenade or arrow in the target’s inventory explodes.

Skill Combination: Fire + Polymorph
Effect: Bleed Fire

Enemies will create fire surfaces when hit by this combination.

Skill Combination: Fire + Warfare
Effect: Sparking Swings

Melee attacks leap to second target.

Skill Combination: Fire + Necromancy
Effect: Corpse Explosion

Causes the corpse to explode and deals damage.

Skill Combination: Earth + Summoning
Effect: Poison Infusion

With this combination, the minion switches to poison and gains poison dart.

Skill Combination: Earth + Hunter
Effect: Throw Dust

Causes Damage, Blind, and removes surfaces and clouds.

Skill Combination: Earth + Scoundrel
Effect: Venom Coating

Adds poison damage to weapon attacks for the next 2 consecutive turns.

Skill Combination: Earth + Warfare
Effect: Oily Carapace

This combination converts nearby oil to gain physical armor.

Skill Combination: Earth + Necromancy
Effect: Corrosive Spray

This combination causes cone of damage, acid, and atrophy.

Skill Combination: Earth + Polymorph
Effect: Turn to Oil

Turns water/blood to oil and removes stuck and shock effects.

Damn just found out that according to the wiki I wont be able to continue Sebilles quest

According to the wiki if you tell Griff that Stingtail was the one who stole from him then i guess it prevents you from advancing Sebilles quest. I try talking to Griff with Sebille but all he wants to do is trade :(. Guess I'll have to try again next playthrough.

Maybe you'll get more opportunities later on to advance her quest? I stopped her from interrogating him because I wouldn't let a dirty peasant elf lay her hands on the superior lizard race.

MrCinos

Lucky charm is awesome. Even with all the stealing I've done in Fort Joy the best equipment pieces I have are from Lucky charm finds. The quality of items are far above what merchants had in Fort Joy at this stage (level 3-4). Glad I've rerolled and took Lucky Charm.

That sucks, I couldn't talk to Magistar Borris for Ifan either. Wasn't this all early access content?

Vamphuntr

If you let her interrogate stingtail before you talk to Griff she kills him anyway. I did that and told Griff and the quest continued anyway. I'm continuing the quest in Act 2 now

Is anyone else's game choppy when moving around the camera? Lowering my settings doesn't seem to help at all, not that I should have to.

Do the themes now randomize instruments? In the EA version choosing an instrument meant that the battle themes, for example, always had that instrument as lead. I chose Oud for the full release but I'll still have the Bansuri and Tambura lead from time to time. Bug, maybe?

Grrr is there a way to highlight the areas/targets your character picks up? I'm in Driftwood in Act 2 and my character managed to spot something but I can't find them near where she said it.

Maybe you'll get more opportunities later on to advance her quest? I stopped her from interrogating him because I wouldn't let a dirty peasant elf lay her hands on the superior lizard race.

Im hoping but its looking pretty doubtful. I mean her quest is still active in the log but...

The next person your supposed to talk to after Griff is an undead merchant named Zaleskar and I've found him. Same thing. I use Sebille to start a dialogue with him and all he wants to do is trade.

And yeah I let Red Prince talk to Stingtail first and then Sebille and she kills Stingtail. On Stingtails corpse is the fruit that was stolen from Griff. Then I went to talk to Griff and stopped Sebille from talking to him first cuz I was afraid she was gonna kill him. i talked to him first and gave him his dumb fruit and told him Stingtail had it and now it i guess i cant complete Sebilles quest. And just so every one knows, it does give you the option to not tell Griff who had the fruit so i think you can avoid this situation if you pick the right dialogues.

Burt

Nah. So long as you're outside of a person's field of view you're "hidden." Levelling it up makes the view cones smaller and makes sneak-walking faster, to facilitate moving around vision cones (probably more helpful in combat areas than towns, but eh). It doesn't actually affect how quickly enemies spot you once you're in their vision cone, because that's 100% binary. You can be an OK thief with 0 stealth skills.

And don't assume invisibility is automatically better: you're still revealed if in LoS, so presumably a high level stealth skill will be necessary for the most well-guared individuals. Even when distracting people around the target, sometimes they're in a bad spot to actually steal from.

On that note, DOS2 has the best pickpocketing loot I've ever seen. It's an embarassment of riches in every (vendor) pocket.

Thank you for this. I had no idea.

It really is that good.

Trickster

It sounds like you're earlier than me from your previous post. I also felt severely weak early on but once I got a party of 4 along with a few decent weapons things started to change rapidly. I was also scraping by on battles. Ended up taking some I felt I might not need to and using pretty much my entire stock of res scrolls. Thankfully you're rewarded for some tough battles.

Okay so I actually just managed to complete the fight I felt was impossible. Basically I haven't really been doing a lot of pre-fight setup. Spreading out my group properly and being a bit more methodical with longer cooldown abilties helped a lot.

And after the fight it was as you said with regartds to being rewarded. My protagonist which is a rogue just got 2 giant dagger upgrades, was using 4-5 dmg daggers, now she's using 9-10 dmg, this shit is gonna make the world of difference

Top Bottom