• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

The uh...chapter 1 end fight is quite the thing.

Best part is when the
giant worm
comes in unexpectedly while your party is at half health. Good times.

Oh and let me just say after doing Act 1 and getting my feet soaked in Act 2 proper, I think Larian found a good spot balancing out mature themes with their trademark humor which is excellent and hope it persists throughout the game.

One of my minor gripes about the first game was how everything was so light-hearted, made the world come off as artifical so I never was invested in the storyline. Now though I'm very much into the swing of things playing not only for the combat but story as well.

Burt

Yeah, so, in an Act 2 dungeon

When you go in the caves to fight
Mordus

You can bypass the entire dungeon by
running to chasm on the far side of the room where the void spider things take you, walking out onto the plank jutting out right there, and flying/teleporting down right to where Mordus is.

Currently working through the dungeon backwards for that sweet XP and loot.

Dario ff

Banned
We're debating with a friend to make our first playthroughs a completely coop one. It would take a lot of scheduling to play through a game this big, but it sounds potentially amazing.
Yeah so we just started this today and it's indeed amazing. It's gonna be hard to avoid temptation and keep this purely coop playthrough, but what I played so far is leaps ahead over the first game already. The environments look incredible, the story is very interesting, the companions are so varied and have some actual depth, the skill trees and race combinations have more choices than ever, your choices affect dialogue so much (even if just in flavor), I can't believe EVERYTHING is voice-acted and the multiplayer implementation is still so freaking smooth... I love it.

This game is indeed fucking incredible. Playing it in coop and single player with a different build when all 4 of us aren't present. Even after 60h of EA I'm still nowhere near tired of it and haven't even got to act 2. This team deserves all the success they can get. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first Original Sin, didn't think it was possible.

Lanrutcon

Best part is when the
giant worm

Oh and let me just say after doing Act 1 and getting my feet soaked in Act 2 proper, I think Larian found a good spot balancing out mature themes with their trademark humor which is excellent and hope it persists throughout the game.

One of my minor gripes about the first game was how everything was so light-hearted, made the world come off as artifical so I never was invested in the storyline. Now though I'm very much into the swing of things playing not only for the combat but story as well.

Let me tell you about my version of that fight.

I painstakingly dragged a bunch of heavy duty crates from the city and, using stealth, blocked every entrance/exit/ladder in those ruins. Then I got 3 of my characters teleport. I snuck into the west section and teleported the west archer into my party. Then teleported him west to the broken bridge. Then teleported him to the little island in the west with the statue and the chest.

As I was bombarding the poor bastard across the broken bridge while the rest of the enemies tried breaking my crate barricades...the worm shows up. I kill the archer, the enemies pile on the worm, everything gets sets on fire for some reason. I'm enjoying the spectable when the worm borrows under my entire party and sets everyone on fire.
Not normal fire, but hellfire.

I kill the worm and lose two people, whom I res outside of the ruins so that they're out of combat. The two party members out of combat shore up my crate barricades while the two in combat set up for another teleport chain.

I then proceed to teleport the enemy, one by one, onto the little island where my crossbowman tears them apart as they watch helplessly. UNTIL THE ENEMY MORPH TELEPORTS MY WIZARD NEXT TO A BARREL, and then fireballs the dude.
Karma.

Maximo

Does it matter who your Source Master is in Act 2?
Ryker wants a tablet was planning to get it for him then kill him, but a sorcerer will also teach me if I save her apprentice in Blackgate, then there is this guy on the Deathfog island who seems extremely untrustworthy...
Or can I do all the quests and learn from them all?

Ryzaki009

Best part is when the
giant worm

I swear you used to be able to avoid the worm by not using Source abilities.

Does it matter who your Source Master is in Act 2?
Ryker wants a tablet was planning to get it for him then kill him, but a sorcerer will also teach me if I save her apprentice in Blackgate, then there is this guy on the Deathfog island who seems extremely untrustworthy...
Or can I do all the quests and learn from them all?

You need more than one teacher yeah. Also there's another teacher who's familiar to anyone who played the first game :D

Trickster

I've done the first fight in the Fort Joy
Arena
, but afterwards I'm unable to do anymore there? My journal tells me to
talk to Thola the Thorny one, but the speech option I have is to fight one of my compaions
, yet I can't actually choose any of them to fight?

Sarcasm

How do you get the chests in the
Arena
?

Also another
Arena
question, after winning you can say
Yes fight ally or not, if you both say yes you just fight each other right
? One of us said opposite.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I like it when you get to a point and that quest that seemed to be going no where now pops back up and gets completed.

Feels Gooood.

I am certainly abusing the quick save / load ability just to see how things play out. Still in act 1 after 13hrs of saved time...

I haven't been able to beat the
flower lady
yet.. that is way too hard.

Reani

Damn just found out that according to the wiki I wont be able to continue Sebilles quest

According to the wiki if you tell Griff that Stingtail was the one who stole from him then i guess it prevents you from advancing Sebilles quest. I try talking to Griff with Sebille but all he wants to do is trade :(. Guess I'll have to try again next playthrough.
that is incorrect because i did exactly that.
you have to not have sebille in your party during any dialogue with stingtail. after you give up stingtail to griff, you have to go and kill the assassin that tries to kill stingtail in his sleep. do that without sebille in party also. you get bonus exp for saving stingtail.

then just take sebille with you and talk to him again, sebille dialogue will proc and kill him, advancing her mission

I like it when you get to a point and that quest that seemed to be going no where now pops back up and gets completed.

Feels Gooood.

I am certainly abusing the quick save / load ability just to see how things play out. Still in act 1 after 13hrs of saved time...

I haven't been able to beat the
flower lady
yet.. that is way too hard.

it's harder now that bless is source related. to to basically juggle the mobs using high ground and/or luck

Sanctuary

I don't get it. Does Wits only affect the initiative for a single character at the start of a fight? I thought it determined the turn order for each character individually. Either it doesn't, or the game cheats, because enemies with lower Wits are getting their turns first after a single party member gets to go at the start of a fight.

Dipper145

What I'm getting is that the game is balanced around having a party with gear, which is bullshit, since your first few levels don't have even mediocre gear. The moment I got my entire team in armor, accessories, etc the game took a HUGE turn.

From your description of the last fight in world 1, it seems like the balancing is done around painstakingly setting up battles before hand and doing things like resurrecting characters so they are outside of battle to further do things outside of the battle. That's the kind of thing I was talking about which doesn't seem fun, or should be needed at all in a normal difficulty setting. Although I would imagine with the lengths you went to you're probably on tactician or higher. I feel like the stuff needed for a normal difficulty battle to be won should already be present in the battle area, and I shouldn't have to resort to such a significant amount of out of battle prep work.

Currently I'm well into the 2nd world/area and I wish there was a difficulty in between explorer and normal, currently playing using normal mode and going to explorer if I fail at a battle. But the difference between normal and explorer are huge health and armor wise. Which I guess works out since then I can just easily get by the battle and progress. Theres been a couple times where it's been the difference of everyone dieing in 2-3 turns and winning in 2-3 turns with almost no health loss.

Burt

Currently playing on explorer difficulty, how much harder is classic? I am really enjoying the story but need a bit more challenge.

Classic is a noticeable step up, but I'm pretty sure the hardest part of classic is going from levels 2 to 4. If you've hit 4 (and specifically, passed the
Houndmaster fight
and you're looking for some more challenge, I would definitely recommend notching it up.

Vamphuntr

Some fights are pretty garbage. The fight with the oil voidlings is so frustrating. The the whole thing gets covered in necrofire and it gets more frustrating. Fuck that the npc died 40 min in I'm not restarting.

Rejoice Necro/Summon mains, Necromancer does get a summon as a rank 2 spell, AND ITS GLORIOUS!!!!!

hIEiLZM.jpg

Sanctuary

Rune bonuses don't seem to be working correctly either. +10% max to magic armor? Okay. I have 78 without it, and 79 with it. +10% armor bonus? 98 without it, 99 with it.

What does it looks like at rank 10? The basic incarnate becomes a huge Demon at rank 10 or higher.

No idea, my summoning rank is 6 atm (base of 3, gear +3). The necro summon I linked in that pick scales off summon which is nice; makes necro/summon builds viable and atm that bone spider hits for a truck 110-120 dmge with each hit of 2AP

Classic is a noticeable step up, but I'm pretty sure the hardest part of classic is going from levels 2 to 4. If you've hit 4 (and specifically, passed the
Houndmaster fight
and you're looking for some more challenge, I would definitely recommend notching it up.

Thanks, I might turn it up now and see how it goes. Still early days at the moment, just got to Fort Joy.

Vamphuntr

I have Fane as my main as Necro/Summ/Pyro and had to add pyro because the damage simply isn't there and I'm level 14 now. The main drawback to summon is that it takes long to set up and you can only have 1 summon and 3 totems. My summoning is at 12 (10 + 2 from gear) and the totem gets trashed quickly on classic and they deal like 100 damage when enemies have tons or armor and magic armor. Summon can deal 200+ for 2 AP but at this point my Ranger Sebille with Sky Shot can do 500-700 for 2 AP and my Warrior can do as much with bouncing shield (for some reason it adds both armor and magical armor do the damage it does lol). Moreover totems and some summons absorbs the elements they are cast on which might lead to some problem like healing enemies instead.

Just a general question, is it better to make a custom hero and tag it or are folks liking starting off with one of the unique origins? I'm still not quite sure what the difference is. Apologies if this has been answered before.

Maximo

Anyone know what the Glowing eye from Reapers Cove is for?

Just a general question, is it better to make a custom hero and tag it or are folks liking starting off with one of the unique origins? I'm still not quite sure what the difference is. Apologies if this has been answered before.

Personally it seems better off to go with a Origin character for the banter/dialogue and their quests, you can customize them to whatever you want so *essentially* they are a custom hero just with a main quest.

Sarcasm

Origin gives more choices in dialogue and whatnot, you can still customize them just not name and tags.

Vamphuntr

Anyone know what the Glowing eye from Reapers Cove is for?

It opens the secret door in Morlus (sp) study. The place where you get stuck walled inside and need to flip a switch on the back of a statue to open the door. There is an hidden spot to put the gem outside the room.

Ryzaki009

What the fuck Blackgate is insane,
Bloody 10+ mobs just spawn how the hell do you deal with everything

Oh god yeah. And then the fire ones spawn so if you (or the stupid AI) made that a firefield they get free healing unless you immediately remove those surfaces. It was challenging but man I felt good when I finished. Til that dude said he couldn't teach me. Then I was pretty pissed.

Maximo

It opens the secret door in Morlus (sp) study. The place where you get stuck walled inside and need to flip a switch on the back of a statue to open the door. There is an hidden spot to put the gem outside the room.

Any advice for the title puzzle with the symbols and switch puzzle?

Massicot

I blessed all the burning
pigs
and now the quest seems stuck? Bleh. Maybe I just have to do something else but they are all gone and the log hasnt moved.

Edit: THIS GAME. The
pig
was found somewhere else.

I'm still in Act 2 in Driftwood, for the Missing Magister's quest I already found the killer but I'm looking for
Higba, the initial suspect. Already checked underneath the Fish Factory
, anyone know where he/she is? It's bothering me to no end.

kai3345

Banned
this quest journal is so shit lol

same with the quest markers on the map. i've got characters who are dead that are still marked with a read flag on my map

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not a huge fan of needing to have a specific stat at an amount to trigger something.

This is mostly in regards to a specific item (according to a YT)
Braccus set piece that requires you to have wit at around 16 or so to trigger it.

Genryu

Banned
So I decided with the memory leak issue I was having with my normal save that'd I'd just start a new one for now with two characters that have Lone Wolf.

I have a question though about the [Fort Joy stuff]
arena. Are there any fights after the first one, because the Thorny One keeps asking if I want to challenge a party member but I don't have any options to choose.

Burt

I'm still in Act 2 in Driftwood, for the Missing Magister's quest I already found the killer but I'm looking for
Higba, the initial suspect. Already checked underneath the Fish Factory
, anyone know where he/she is? It's bothering me to no end.

The dwarf on the back porch of the fish factory, I think his name is Kannox, will tell you that Higba jumped in a barrel to hide from the Magisters and hasn't been able to come out because they're all still there. But, I can't find the barrel that he's in. So, it's either find that barrel, or figure out a way to call the Magisters off of the factory.

Not a huge fan of needing to have a specific stat at an amount to trigger something.

Braccus set piece that requires you to have wit at around 16 or so to trigger it.

The gloves
Also require 18 STR to get a liboff a sarcophagus
. Pretty standard cRPG stuff.

Massicot

So I decided with the memory leak issue I was having with my normal save that'd I'd just start a new one for now with two characters that have Lone Wolf.

I have a question though about the [Fort Joy stuff]
arena. Are there any fights after the first one, because the Thorny One keeps asking if I want to challenge a party member but I don't have any options to choose.

I think it's just a way to fight in Co-op.

you need stat's to trigger all sorts of things from opening up containers, to moving shit

Top Bottom