• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

valouris

Sooo, I think I effed up my party big time. I wasn't paying attention to the conversations when talking to the companions in fort joy at first, and it seems you can control what class they are going to be by dialogue. Can you changes this later? I have gross overlaps so far. If you can't change it, how big of a hassle is it to respec later on, or to just start specing towards the class that you need from them?

Maximo

Sooo, I think I effed up my party big time. I wasn't paying attention to the conversations when talking to the companions in fort joy at first, and it seems you can control what class they are going to be by dialogue. Can you changes this later? I have gross overlaps so far. If you can't change it, how big of a hassle is it to respec later on, or to just start specing towards the class that you need from them?

After you get off the Island you can respec anyone including yourself from there on.

Lanrutcon

See, every time I find an enemy that can fire a bow at spaces they don't have LOS on or I find an enemy that has a no cooldown teleport that doesn't need LOS or cost AP I think that tactician can quietly go fuck itself. There's no point in trying to fight without exploiting at that point.

I'm getting constant freezes each time I get closer to Griff's kitchen. The game completely stops for a few seconds. It's starting to get annoying, does anybody knows if there a solution for this? It's not like it's game breaking, but I fear things would get worse later in the game.

If anyone is interested, after doing some research this problem is the same that some users where talking pages back; memory leak that happens in fort joy. Seems this is my cue for stopping playing around and finally work to get out of this island, before the game becomes unplayable.

Late act 1 inquiry:

I think I messed up, I sold the Wand of Purge somewhere before. The problem is I couldn't find the NPC whom I sold it. I have the Helmet of Tyranny to eliminate the two Shriekers at the coast to progress with the story. However, I can only use it exactly twice as a demon spawns afterward, and the purge skill is no longer usable. I haven't killed that one Shrieker in the marsh, and there are 3 of them just right of the first two I eliminated earlier.
I remember that I also got a Wand of Purge earlier from the Winter Dragon side quest,
but I gave it to him as requested. What are my options now?

Tovarisc

See, every time I find an enemy that can fire a bow at spaces they don't have LOS on or I find an enemy that has a no cooldown teleport that doesn't need LOS or cost AP I think that tactician can quietly go fuck itself. There's no point in trying to fight without exploiting at that point.

Courtyard of Fort Joy is interesting place in this regard. AI archers ignoring rules of LOS and ground elevation. Even traceline of effing arrow came through geometry in multiple places as shit heads ignored rules of physics. Same time I can't fire back from elevated position because that wall or cart that AI just shot through while hugging them is blocking line of fire.

Also their 2h melee dudes and battle mages have insane amounts of AP. They can move quite long distances, buff and 1-2x attack / round.

I'm super early and already game is showing its artificial difficulty.

Maximo

Late act 1 inquiry:

I think I messed up, I sold the Wand of Purge somewhere before. The problem is I couldn't find the NPC whom I sold it. I have the Helmet of Tyranny to eliminate the two Shriekers at the coast to progress with the story. However, I can only use it exactly twice as a demon spawns afterward, and the purge skill is no longer usable. I haven't killed that one Shrieker in the marsh, and there are 3 of them just right of the first two I eliminated earlier.
I remember that I also got a Wand of Purge earlier from the Winter Dragon side quest,
but I gave it to him as requested. What are my options now?

I believe the Winter Dragon you save can kill The Shreikers.

Ok I have to be doing something wrong with combat cause Jesus this game is kicking my ass so hard.

Only lv 3 still and when I fight enemies that are my lv or one over.

It's like every enemy has 0 issues off the bat knocking my party members down/seting them on fire, etc.

However MY mages and CC are damn near useless against ANYONE until I widdle down their magic or physical armor.

This is just on classic...

I fought the Frogs/aligators fine, but in the dungeon and getting my ass kicked so hard by
the houndmaster and his two archer friends

Anyone have any combat tips or anything?

My Party is the Red Prince/Ifan/Loche all specced to their default classes.

My main problem is there's no good way for me to aggro anyone, I can't make them focus me or my tank and they just peg Ifan/Loche down in like 2-3 hits and then I'm really upt he creek since Ifan is my main dps and Loche is my utility/healer.

Key to fights in this game is that you use your environments to your advantage. When you are outnumbered, try to isolate enemies one by one and create choke points. The large room has got archers on elevated positions who can all focus fire on your party, it's pretty much a death trap. Instead try to lure the enemies to one of the prison cells or further away.

Made it out of Fort Joy in my co-op game last night. Started to Dual Wield daggers (I'm Shadowblade) and its fun! I wish I'd invested points in DW rather than Single but apparently in Act 2 there's an option for respeccing?

The game is fun, feels like an utter timesink because we'll decide to "Oh, let's just explore the Fort" and then we spend like 3 hours doing fights with that Paladin or the people inside, and just trying to explore everywhere.

Moff

where can you find the teleport spell and what school does it belong to?
I found the chicken spell so I hope that will fights a bit easier.

where can you find the teleport spell and what school does it belong to?
I found the chicken spell so I hope that will fights a bit easier.

Teleport is aerotheurge. You can get it for free during
'The Teleporter' quest by defeating the crocodiles to the north of the fort. The skill comes attached to a pair of gloves so you might want to look out for a skill book as well to get it independently.

Massicot

Everythings been smooth sailing since Act 2 wrt saves and memory leaks and chugging. Seems weird that the first act seems so bad since it was playable for a while.

UberLevi

Anyone else a little upset that touch spells don't receive a range bonus on Far Out Man? I think I remember Original Sin 1 providing an extra couple of meters to close ranged spells. Hard to find a use for the chicken hex on my ranger because I'm hardly ever standing within arms reach of an opponent. The armor resistance on it doesn't help either, so I may just toss it. The only time it has really benefited me is when a rat that I spoke to called me a chicken so I hexed him and then killed him for being a dick.

Anyone else a little upset that touch spells don't receive a range bonus on Far Out Man? I think I remember Original Sin 1 providing an extra couple of meters to close ranged spells. Hard to find a use for the chicken hex on my ranger because I'm hardly ever standing within arms reach of an opponent. The armor resistance on it doesn't help either, so I may just toss it. The only time it has really benefited me is when a rat that I spoke to called me a chicken so I hexed him and then killed him for being a dick.

Hey, it's got roleplay value. That's good enough for me!

Merely basing my answer on the Beta hes supposed to fly over and disable them when you get close.

I found an earlier save just before I gave the wand to him.

I've restarted from there and everything is fine now. Thanks anyway.

Yeah, the chicken spell sounds good on paper, but it's not actually useful in battles.

Tovarisc

Reposting for visibility, anyone have advice on this issue? Would love to vendor be vendor.
---------------

Do I really need "waste" level up points on persuasion so I can continue Sebille's story? I really don't want spread points thin like that and would Persuasion 1 even do it?

Just past Fort Joy
I'm supposed to talk with Lone Wolf called Zaleskar and it forces persuasion check. Even with high Finesse that check fails every single time. Which sucks even more is that he is vendor with few items I would love to get, but failing persuasion check forces fight that by looking at his numbers is currently unwinnable for me.

Best part of this is that if Sebille wasn't my PC this check wouldn't even exist.

Xater

Now that I got some decent equipment the game is more managable. Already went back into the fort and killed a bunch of the guards.

DarkStream

It is insane how good the controller support is.
I love the "loot circle"!
I was against using a pad in the beginning (because CRPG and stuff) but damn, it's so good!

Now that I got some decent equipment the game is more managable. Already went back into the fort and killed a bunch of the guards.

Yeah, that was the turning point for me as well. Most battles seem impossible at first, but after hanging around in the fort for a couple of hours finding and stealing stuff I can finally manage most of the following battles.

Have they released the tools to create custom maps/levels? I cant find any recent videos on youtube.

There are already custom maps/levels on Steam Workshop.

It is insane how good the controller support is.
I love the "loot circle"!
I was against using a pad in the beginning (because CRPG and stuff) but damn, it's so good!

It really is. The best gamepad implementation in any cRPG ever.

I'll buy every Larian game in the future. Obsidion should take notes.

Anyone who has played around with the Gamemaster mode, is there a way to rotate characters and objects while placing them? Can't seem to figure it out.

plenilune

Is it true that (act 1 end spoiler)
you only get to keep 4 members (incl. player character) after you get off the island, and the rest are dead?

Reposting for visibility, anyone have advice on this issue? Would love to vendor be vendor.
---------------
Is it possible you're supposed to play out the fight? Similarly as Lohse:

I was forced to attack the elf seer in the cave by the fort. Can you stop the fight later, or maybe you're okay to kill him and get the info from his body?

Or - can you find some +per items? There's a 'town' out there on the swamp with vendors

JMY86

---------------

Do I really need "waste" level up points on persuasion so I can continue Sebille's story? I really don't want spread points thin like that and would Persuasion 1 even do it?

Just past Fort Joy
I'm supposed to talk with Lone Wolf called Zaleskar and it forces persuasion check. Even with high Finesse that check fails every single time. Which sucks even more is that he is vendor with few items I would love to get, but failing persuasion check forces fight that by looking at his numbers is currently unwinnable for me.

Best part of this is that if Sebille wasn't my PC this check wouldn't even exist.

I ran into a similarsituation I failed my finesse check with Sebille so
Zaleskar
just attacked me. I was definitely under levelled so it took me about 20 minutes to kill/cheese him after burning through a ton of consumables and all my knockdown arrows but
Zaleskar
is dead. I received a ton of XP and some loot but I have no idea how to progress the quest further now...

Lucifon

Anyone else get an error connecting to the Larian Support Server on startup with an extended startup time?

Loving this game so much, it reminds me a lot of Dragon Age Origins actually in many ways. One of my favourite games this year for sure, I'm hooked.

ubiblu

I'm a long-time RPG veteran with a number of years of D&D under my belt (before it became impossible with real-life commitments), and I still feel completely overwhelmed getting into this game. I've gone with origin stories and making fairly sane decisions but still feel like i'm missing out on so much. Made it to Fort Joy before calling it quits.

My solution? Start with D:OS EH on PS4 and work my way back into D:OS2. I'm already loving the PS4 controller rather than K&M, and everything just seems less chaotic. I feel like this is a series I could love (that doesn't suffer from 90's era graphics/movement like POE), so i'll try and chip away over the next few nights and actually commit.

Mik2121

Does this game have a very linear story or is it more of a "there's a main story but you sorta forge your own story" thing?
If the game is very linear, is there some way to do something with more freedom?

I used to play TONS of D&D with my brother and his friends back in the day, and loved that you could do anything. I know this is a videogame so obviously it will be very limited, but all in all, how many options for things do you have in general?

Does this game have a very linear story or is it more of a "there's a main story but you sorta forge your own story" thing?
If the game is very linear, is there some way to do something with more freedom?

I used to play TONS of D&D with my brother and his friends back in the day, and loved that you could do anything. I know this is a videogame so obviously it will be very limited, but all in all, how many options for things do you have in general?

There's more options in this game than any others. It really rewards ingenuity. So much so that you probably won't even realize most of your options or that the game even takes certain things into account. It's closest to a tabletop D&D game that you will ever get at this point.

Orb

Is this coming out on PS4 soon? I cant find anything on release for consoles except that its supposed to be on them at some point.

Anno

Is this coming out on PS4 soon? I cant find anything on release for consoles except that its supposed to be on them at some point.

Nothing announced about consoles other than that it'll presumably come out on them if it does well on PC which it definitely is. I'm guessing sometime next year.

I'm still really early on and there's some aspects from the first game I'm missing...can someone tell me they're more prevalent in the latter areas: hidden switches, traps, levers?

I found the first game abundant with this stuff and so far the beach and Fort Joy hasn't had much of this. I'm hoping people didn't tell Larian to get rid of their intricate trap design! I loved finding buttons behind paintings and keys under flowerpots too.

Orb

Nothing announced about consoles other than that it'll presumably come out on them if it does well on PC which it definitely is. I'm guessing sometime next year.
Damn, maybe ill be able to get a pc soon. Id love to play this asap.

Mik2121

There's more options in this game than any others. It really rewards ingenuity. So much so that you probably won't even realize most of your options or that the game even takes certain things into account. It's closest to a tabletop D&D game that you will ever get at this point.
Good enough. Between this and the video with Matt Mercer where he is doing DM, and a video with Swen Vincke on release day where they lost electricity but was all genuinely excited, I just went and bought it.

Downloading now. Haven't played any of the Divinity games and not many CRPG these days (recently some Pillars of Eternity I guess).

JMY86

I'm sure it will be coming to PS4/Pro & Xbox One/X but I doubt it will be soon though. I would guess next spring/summer at the earliest...

I'm still really early on and there's some aspects from the first game I'm missing...can someone tell me they're more prevalent in the latter areas: hidden switches, traps, levers?

I found the first game abundant with this stuff and so far the beach and Fort Joy hasn't had much of this. I'm hoping people didn't tell Larian to get rid of their intricate trap design! I loved finding buttons behind paintings and keys under flowerpots too.

There's some of them, not that many. There's a lot of "ooh I found something" then dig a treasure chest out though, which iirc is pretty much the same as the first game, it was mostly this, the actual traps/levers/switches were in specific places. I guess maybe there were more traps in the first game early on but there's some in here too, just not as early(or well not many). Once you get further in act1 there's a bunch of places that are similar in design to first game, traps, pressure plates, mini puzzles and stuff like that.

Top Bottom