• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

nbthedude

So much this, I got it and it seems like I completely lucked out. I have sent so many poor spiders to their death though :(

That happens a lot at first but now at level 16 my spider wrecks shit. If you put a lot of points into Int he gets more powerful by a significant margin. You can also buff them for fights.

I always feel bad when he dies after a battle while following me around. All the little guy wants to do is keep adventurin' and help out. :(

epmode

Vague clue: try searching in town where sailors might hang out. More specific:
talk to the cat in the Inn

I'm assuming he already talked to Sam since I'm pretty sure the other cat points you to the inn.

If he's just having trouble finding the collar,
take a look at the beach beyond the west gate in Cyseal. The collar is in the cave after the orcs.

Spider's definitely good but elementals on certain fights are completely broken since they heal when they get hit by the corresponding element. Fire elemental especially is relatively low level(lvl 4 so basically the 2nd summon you can get) and there's a ton of fire monsters. Pop him in the middle of a bunch of fire monsters and while he does no damage, he also takes no damage(or takes some damage from like casters and what not then the other mobs heal him back to full). Even against normal mobs though, Fortify on it then Firefly and Fireball to heal it while aoeing everything it tanks, great stuff.

Animator

I found the collar just now but there is no option to give it to Sam in the dialogue and I can't drag drop it on him from inventory either. Is it bugged?

Also can someone remind me where the secret hideout you open with with the scroll you find at
evelyn's
house is? I did that in my last playthrough but restarted the game to roll with new characters and now I can't find it for the life of me.

Also where the hell was the beach you find staff of pergammon at?

"I found the collar just now but there is no option to give it to Sam in the dialogue and I can't drag drop it on him from inventory either. Is it bugged?"

Make sure the person starting conversation has it in their inventory and not anyone else in the party.

Animator

"I found the collar just now but there is no option to give it to Sam in the dialogue and I can't drag drop it on him from inventory either. Is it bugged?"

Make sure the person who has it in their inventory is the one starting dialogue.

Yea I checked that as well. I am starting the dialogue with the correct character since she is the only one who has pet pal and she has the item in her inventory.

Moonstone

If I have a mage as one character, 2nd character is Rogue/Shadowblade or Ranger better?

Also, I am confused on the original attributes/abilities customization, should I undo the defaults or just roll with it?

Both classes are a good choice, because you probably want to have one dex based class in your team. You can switch between Ranger/Rogue as you actually only need 2 points in the rogue skill. I spend 3 there and will respec later, because all high level Rogueskills suck. 6 skillslots are enough. The rogue teleport for instance sucks, the ranger teleport is way better.

A rogue is always a good ranger and vice versa. It's probably better to start as ranger, because you are pretty squishy in the beginning, my rogue died a couple of times.

@customization: Of course it is better to cutomize, if you know what you do. If you pick Rogue, remove the skill points in lockpicking and "thievery" - they are worthless.

One of your characters should start with "animal friend" (talk with animals - don't know the english skillnames), because you can do some talking quests early on. I started with customized Witch/Rogue and developed the Witch into pyromancer/geomancer/Witchcraft and Charisma+Politician, while Jahan covers water and air elements and is specced for crafting. The summoned spider is really helpful in the beginning, witchcraft+pyromancy is a good start, because there is a lot of poison and explosive stuff early on and the pet is the tool to win the hard fights. And that first firespell.

Ploid 3.0

That happens a lot at first but now at level 16 my spider wrecks shit. If you put a lot of points into Int he gets more powerful by a significant margin. You can also buff them for fights.

I always feel bad when he dies after a battle while following me around. All the little guy wants to do is keep adventurin' and help out. :(

Permenant spider pet mod and balance mod coming up.

Durante

We just did a puzzle I really liked. It's the one (mid-game)
with the 4 plates requiring different weights
. In every other game I would have expected 4 items with the exact 4 required
weigths
, and only those working for the puzzle. In Divinity:OS, you can
arrive at the required weight with any random (combination of) item(s) as long as the weight is right.
Great.

I feel that's representative for the game having a more systemic and less scripted approach to everything - quests, puzzles and battles.

tokkun

Both classes are a good choice, because you probably want to have one dex based class in your team. You can switch between Ranger/Rogue as you actually only need 2 points in the rogue skill. I spend 3 there and will respec later, because all high level Rogueskills suck. 6 skillslots are enough. The rogue teleport for instance sucks, the ranger teleport is way better.

Mixed Rogue/Ranger doesn't seem to work too well to me, since most of the Rogue abilities require a dagger and most of the Ranger ones require a bow. Plus you have to put points into both Single-handed and Bow for damage.

I just gave my Ranger one point in Scoundrel to get the haste and invisibility spells and left it at that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Likewise, I went Rogue/Ranger initially for the double charm, and the utility a bow brings (ranged elemental fire = great for cyseal).

I switched Ranger to Witchcraft recently, and it's been working better.

Ourobolus

Banned
So...Glass Cannon.

I just hit level 10 and gave it to Jahan since he was rocking close to 700HP and it'll probably serve him well.
Trying to decide if it is worth it for my other Mage and Rogue. My rogue would be ridiculously squishy, with just over 200 HP. Thinking I might wait a few levels so I can pump some CON on her. Probably give her a point in Aero so she can have the other invisibility skill.

So...Glass Cannon.

I just hit level 10 and gave it to Jahan since he was rocking close to 700HP and it'll probably serve him well.
Trying to decide if it is worth it for my other Mage and Rogue. My rogue would be ridiculously squishy, with just over 200 HP. Thinking I might wait a few levels so I can pump some CON on her. Probably give her a point in Aero so she can have the other invisibility skill.

Well I took it as soon as I could on my rogue, doesn't really matter how much hp I have since I end every turns in stealth so I only very rarely get hit at all. With it I can generally kill 2mobs a turn with the rogue alone or at least one and move to the next/get a hit off. Can also do a crazy CC turn with Trip+Sever+Charm. Makes the haste spell pretty pointless though, it still increases max AP so that's nice but you basically pay 4 on one turn to get 4 on the next 2 turns, which is kinda meh. Rogue damage is fairly ridiculous when used properly.

danthefan

so.....how do i get past the force field in the church?

In the basement? Hrmm... I can't remember exactly what did it but by continuing the murder suspect story-line it just happened naturally for me. Have you explored the (location spoiler I guess)
hidden lair
on the beach?

Edit - I may or may not be talking about something totally different to you, sorry.

Moonstone

Mixed Rogue/Ranger doesn't seem to work too well to me, since most of the Rogue abilities require a dagger and most of the Ranger ones require a bow. Plus you have to put points into both Single-handed and Bow for damage.

I just gave my Ranger one point in Scoundrel to get the haste and invisibility spells and left it at that.

Yes you should focus on one thing. But you can switch later from ranger to rogue, because you only need scoundrel at 2 and stealth at 3 (which you should have as Ranger). After that you are free to "multiclass". So switching should work well as you will have enough points to spend. But you shouldn't try to do both in fights. Focus is important.

Fighters and mages need their points for their class skills, rogues are pretty easy in this regard. Both classes have similar spells, so you usually want to pick other skills.
But combining them works. ranger-charm - teleport- weaponswitch- rogue-charm for instance.

FACE

Banned
so.....how do i get past the force field in the church?

Cyseal church? If so then you'll have to
use the enlightened amulet on that little pedestal, if you don't have it just talk to Jake on the other side of the force field.

bbd23

In the basement? Hrmm... I can't remember exactly what did it but by continuing the murder suspect story-line it just happened naturally for me. Have you explored the (location spoiler I guess)
hidden lair
on the beach?

Edit - I may or may not be talking about something totally different to you, sorry.

hidden lair? don't think so. which beach?

and yea its in the basement area

ok im having some more success now but one (maybe foolish) problem i'm having is targeting enemies in a tight area. sometimes i can't get the mouse to move to a spot where the strike icon will come up. what am i missing here? i'm fucking right next to the guy and i can't get the icon up!

BPoole

We just did a puzzle I really liked. It's the one (mid-game)
with the 4 plates requiring different weights
. In every other game I would have expected 4 items with the exact 4 required
weigths
, and only those working for the puzzle. In Divinity:OS, you can
arrive at the required weight with any random (combination of) item(s) as long as the weight is right.
Great.

I feel that's representative for the game having a more systemic and less scripted approach to everything - quests, puzzles and battles.
There were also 4 different weighted vases, barrels, buckets, and pots that you could use to distribute the weight differently. I did not even think to put items in the containers to make them heavier. That was one of the better puzzles in the game, some of the others required too much pixel hunting for my liking

Just got to
Hunter's Edge
and still lovin' it. Some of the puzzles before that though were infuriating and I'm not sure whether I'm just dumb or if they were too obscure for their own good. Referring to the
weighted switches in the immaculate trial, and the NSEW switches in the Immaculate Cathedral basement. Say what you want about the puzzles themselves I guess but having to pixel hunt and do weird camera rotations looking for those switches was awful and made poor use of the games' systems.

ok im having some more success now but one (maybe foolish) problem i'm having is targeting enemies in a tight area. sometimes i can't get the mouse to move to a spot where the strike icon will come up. what am i missing here? i'm fucking right next to the guy and i can't get the icon up!

Yeah it's annoying at times. Try rotating the camera(middle mouse hold) and zooming in to get the correct mob larger on the screen, generally helps. I've had to attack without being in backstab position cause I couldn't find how to get behind the mob I wanted to kill.

Got the shovel! Went around town and found a graveyard full of graves. Dig a few up, this undead creature appears but only lv 3. No prob right?

Battering ram. The thing explodes, killing everyone in my party.

...... Damnit

I'd kill for a provoke tried anything I could think of outside of wasting turn turning everyone invisible except my main guy to get mobs to hit her. These punks must got 9 points in loremaster to avoid em in the first place

danthefan

hidden lair? don't think so. which beach?

and yea its in the basement area

If you're still in Cyseal you need to progress with the quests to do with the murder. That church basement (assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about) is the last thing to do on the Cyseal map.

Do I need to be a certain class to encounter this spider? I want a spider

I am pretty sure it's a Geomancy spell. So you need someone with at least a skill point in Geomancy. The spider gets stronger with the amount of Int your character has so it's definitely best off with a mage type character. You need to buy the skillbook from a vendor, I'm pretty sure I bought it in the inn in Cyseal.

While you can't really prevent the AI from running past your tanks, you can make it difficult for them. Chill them, use Slow Current, make sure your melee have Opportunist to punish them when they leave melee range, use special arrows if you have a ranger-type to knock them down, stun them, etc. Don't forget that you can create terrain effects that, by default, the AI tries to avoid completely. In short: use Crowd Control abilities, they're there for a reason.

I cc but it's highly annoying when they ignore only 1 person in the party til everyone else is dead since they were level 13 (they are 18 now). Only time she gets hit with spells if it's an aoe and she's near someone

Ourobolus

Banned
Well I took it as soon as I could on my rogue, doesn't really matter how much hp I have since I end every turns in stealth so I only very rarely get hit at all. With it I can generally kill 2mobs a turn with the rogue alone or at least one and move to the next/get a hit off. Can also do a crazy CC turn with Trip+Sever+Charm. Makes the haste spell pretty pointless though, it still increases max AP so that's nice but you basically pay 4 on one turn to get 4 on the next 2 turns, which is kinda meh. Rogue damage is fairly ridiculous when used properly.
Yeah...I'll have to upgrade sneaking so it doesn't cost so much AP. I managed to plan my other characters pretty well without wasting many skill points, but I'm constantly learning better ways to play my rogue.

Terra_Ex

Late game question:

I'm at the part where I have to go the First Garden or something and fight against the Trife and Leandra. However I still have a quest regarding repairing Leandra's soul forge which presumably will offer an alternative to merely killing her. Have I missed this quest - I'm presuming it's relating to Braccus Rex's sister Cassandra (who I haven't met), but I was not able to find a way into her lair in the Temple of Death due to a large stone head blocking the way and the skeleton alchemist who resides there simply chatters away about perception. Is there more to come regarding this quest if I go ahead and defeat the Trife or have I missed something important? I want to finish up the game so please be explicit about what I need to do to complete the quest. Thanks

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Late game question:

I'm at the part where I have to go the First Garden or something and fight against the Trife and Leandra. However I still have a quest regarding repairing Leandra's soul forge which presumably will offer an alternative to merely killing her. Have I missed this quest - I'm presuming it's relating to Braccus Rex's sister Cassandra (who I haven't met), but I was not able to find a way into her lair in the Temple of Death due to a large stone head blocking the way and the skeleton alchemist who resides there simply chatters away about perception. Is there more to come regarding this quest if I go ahead and defeat the Trife or have I missed something important? I want to finish up the game so please be explicit about what I need to do to complete the quest. Thanks

Yes you missed it. Cassandra is in the northwest area of the phantom forest. One of the crypts in her temple has her bones which you need to burn and then kill her for the bond repair scroll (There is a fake wall that leads to it). Then just proceed into the garden

Dunkelgrau

There's no need to level them up, their power is directly based on the caster's intelligence attribute.

To learn new pyro skills, you'll need to craft, find, or buy a Pyromancy skillbook. These skillbooks are restricted solely by level. Unfortunately, I can't recall who sells pyro books in Cyseal - perhaps Arhu.
I don’t understand this system yet.
When I have got a pyro-magician for example, but I am not allowed to level up my pyro-skills, what I am supposed to do? Learning all other magician-classes?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
]blacky[;122926660 said:
When I have got a pyro-magician for example, but I am not allowed to level up my pyro-skills, what I am supposed to do? Learning all other magician-classes?

Increase your Int/speed for better combos.

Sykotik

]blacky[;122927080 said:
But intelligence is another skill-tree!

I may not be understanding correctly. You can level up Pyro more, but the only benefit you'll have is being able to equip more pyro spells at a time. At max pryo level, you can have all pyro spells ready at once.

"When I have got a pyro-magician for example, but I am not allowed to level up my pyro-skills, what I am supposed to do? Learning all other magician-classes?"

Either save points until you can upgrade it or put points in other abilities. You can also spend the points things like Bodybuilding, willpower which affect your ability to defend against various status effects. Or crafting, Loremaster for identifying objects, charisma, bartering and so on. You don't *have* to spend your points only on pyromancy. Likewise, you don't have to spend them on other things as well, you can save your points.

]blacky[;122926660 said:

Mix and match the skill you have (preferably with the proper attributes to improve them) until you have a party of characters with skills that synergise well together. The progression is not about making the individual spells stronger, it's instead focused on making devious, clever, or ingenious use of your available skills to defeat your opponents.

My suggestion would be that - if you're a pyromancer - perhaps an ally (or the pyromancer themself) should learn geomancy and get the oil slick skill. Since oil slows enemies, it can be a useful defensive or crowd control skill, and with fire it becomes a deadly barrier. You can even cast oil slick and fire skills on an enemy offensively! (This particular tactic works well on archers, who will be effectively blinded by the ensuing smoke.) Additionally, focusing on high fire resist for your melee-oriented allies means that they can wade through this hot mess and take little-to-no damage, or even be healed by it if their fire resistance is above 100.

As an added bonus, the geomancy field also has poison skills which also synergise with fire quite well - EXPLOSIVELY well!

One thing that is important to keep in mind that you're under no obligation to learn all skills in a particular field, let alone all of them. Levelling up your pyromancy skill to learn more spells is only useful if you want to cast higher-level spells at no AP penalty, or to have a wider range of available spells. You may find very few spells useful to your strategies, in which case it would probably be wise to improve other aspects of that character - Con for more survivability, Speed for more AP, or even hybridize them so they can be more useful in other situations.

That's honestly the best part of Divinity: Original Sin's combat system - anything goes; it is a game that takes absolute advantage of its classless progression, and this is a big reason why it is so great.

Edit: Oh, yes. The others also raise good points. You always have the option of saving points when you level up, and later in the game you'll have to if you want to increase your higher-level skills.

"When I have got a pyro-magician for example, but I am not allowed to level up my pyro-skills, what I am supposed to do? Learning all other magician-classes?"

Either save points until you can upgrade it or put points in other abilities. You can also spend the points things like Bodybuilding, willpower which affect your ability to defend against various status effects. Or crafting, Loremaster for identifying objects, charisma, bartering and so on. You don't *have* to spend your points only on pyromancy. Likewise, you don't have to spend them on other things as well, you can save your points.

Indeed. Save your points until you really need them.

Dunkelgrau

My suggestion would be that - if you're a pyromancer - perhaps an ally (or the pyromancer themself) should learn geomancy and get the oil slick skill. Since oil slows enemies, it can be a useful defensive or crowd control skill, and with fire it becomes a deadly barrier. You can even cast oil slick and fire skills on an enemy offensively!
Thank you. I just learned geomancy and bought the oil slick skill – let’s have some fun. :)

So basically you learn all kind of magic during the game? I am not sure, but it seems that there are no other usefully skills to level up. Or does it really make sense that everyone in my party can do crafting or be a Loremaster for identifying objects?

I should go to sleep ... :-S

]blacky[;122935024 said:
Thank you. I just learned geomancy and bought the oil slick skill – let’s have some fun. :)

So basically you learn all kind of magic during the game? I am not sure, but it seems that there are no other usefully skills to level up. Or does it really make sense that everyone in my party can do crafting or be a Loremaster for identifying objects?

I should go to sleep ... :-S

You can learn as many skills as you're able, but remember: a jack of all trades is a master of none, and sometimes you'll need that extra ounce of power to take down a foe; it's all about balancing your strategic needs versus your tactical desires.

The skillbooks available from vendors vary, loosely based on your level. Naturally, their power level varies accordingly. This is not to say that low-level skills are useless, just that they can be... very different.

Having a character learn crafting, blacksmithing, or loremaster can certainly be useful, so go for it if you're so inclined. Crafting and blacksmithing can be confusing at times, so watch out for that. There are hints for it in-game, and guides online, so choose whichever path you desire.

Loremaster not only identifies items for free *provided you have the right item* but it also allows you to see the stats of an ally or enemy. Hold CTRL and mouse-over to get some info on them, based entirely on your loremaster value. Higher values reveal more - from basics like current HP and action points, all the way to physical damage, armour, resistances and weaknessess! It can be useful if you want certainty in your decisions. Keep in mind that each character has their own loremaster value, so you'll need to use one with a high value if you want to see all the info.

You'll probably want to dedicate the blacksmithing, crafting, and loremaster stuff to specific character(s) since it will lessen their combat abilities. A character focusing on all three won't be much use in battle at all, for instance...

And lastly, to reiterate, you do not need to spend your ability points every time you level up; you can save them to afford higher levels of a skill. Each skill requires the previous amount you spent plus one. For example, Level 1 costs one point, level 2 costs two points, level 3 costs three points, and so on. Save up for the skills you really want if nothing seems necessary at the moment!

Now, count the black(y) sheep until you fall asleep!

"So basically you learn all kind of magic during the game? I am not sure, but it seems that there are no other usefully skills to level up. Or does it really make sense that everyone in my party can do crafting or be a Loremaster for identifying objects? "

Nah, you only need one character in the party who has high loremaster (if you even want it, you can still identify objects at vendors) or crafting (again, if you even want it). If you want your character to have all schools of magic, you can do that, but you won't have enough points to max all of them and higher level spells will cost more AP. There's no reason you have to be a pure spellcaster, either. It's totally just up to how you want your character to play.

Ourobolus

Banned
I really wish I had just made a henchman with all non-combat abilities instead of investing my main characters' points on them.

Hopefully I can respec soon, because it should be pretty easy to get all my skills back for my rogue.

epmode

Considering how many crafting/blacksmithing/loremaster points you can get from armor, you only have to spend a few points in each skill to reach level 5. I suggest leaving crafting and blacksmithing to Jahan since he has the Scientist talent which can be worth 10 skill points if you want to max both of them.

Ourobolus

Banned
Considering how many crafting/blacksmithing/loremaster points you can get from armor, you only have to spend a few points in each skill to reach level 5. I suggest leaving crafting and blacksmithing to Jahan since he has the Scientist talent which can be worth 10 skill points if you want to max both of them.
I have him doing Blacksmithing, and then Crafting on Scarlett and Loremaster on Roderick.
At this point I'm just gonna focus on getting Sneaking up alongside One-Handed.

Top Bottom