• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Finalow

any way to stop the
sand storm? I think it's gonna be hard to kill the spider queen with half of the usual AP.

Not really. It only feels like that because you have so little information to go on.
uh, yes really. information has nothing to do with it. the whole part before Hiberheim shouldn't have been there, it just added pointless battles and made the whole thing more boring.

Noaloha

Be careful when you equip a shield on a rogue. Most of the time, they don't attack twice anymore. Although sometimes they still do, so I assume one or the other is a bug.
Worth noting that the single hit from having a shield does twice the damage of the two individual hits without shield, so the damage works out about the same. I haven't noticed if the two hits double the chance of weapon-based status effects proccing though.

Torraz

So I turned level 9 after the fight against
Braccus Rex and co
. After beating the fight on my own I found some forum posts about this fight, and people mentioning that they were level 10 when they started it.

I think I have explored most of the map, and have maybe 2-3 quests left to complete, if I even manage to find the objectives. Am I in danger of being underleveled for the rest of the game?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm at the point where
I need star/blood stones to get through a door in the Source Temple, but don't really feel like figuring out which ones I'm missing. Is there another way to get through here?

Kinan

Heh, in a "class room" you notice that one of the students has a book called "How to fake illness" on his table. Later when you scout the teacher's room you will see the book "How to spot fake illness" there. :) Love these small touches. :)

Terra_Ex

Braccus Rex and co
. After beating the fight on my own I found some forum posts about this fight, and people mentioning that they were level 10 when they started it.

I think I have explored most of the map, and have maybe 2-3 quests left to complete, if I even manage to find the objectives. Am I in danger of being underleveled for the rest of the game?
No, but when you go to the next area I strongly suggest you focus on
finding the white witch
immediately as most of the paths in that area will beat you down fairly quickly if you go exploring freely, while following this questline will guide you to the right enemies/area for your level.

Brakke

Banned
Braccus Rex and co

Did you go through Orc beach into that cave? Crabs Vs Pirates quest? I forgot to do that myself.

Also, had you encountered all of the Rex's summons out on the field? Maybe you missed one?

Braccus Rex and co

Sounds maybe a bit low, but you might have not done a major area. For example the
Black Cove
has a ton of xp in it if you do it all and it can be easy to miss since no quest really sends you directly there and instead you end up finding out it's where you complete certain quests if you venture in there.

Make sure you have all your quests done other than stuff in Silverglen
(should be the White Witch stuff and Marisa's Will which is a minor quest turn in)
but you might still be fine I don't remember exactly what level stuff is. Depending on your choices and stuff you get more or less xp too, for example combat solutions tend to reward more xp than charisma stuff(but not always, sometimes it's more like charisma gives more xp but combat gives drops). Also in general it's fairly easy to see where you haven't done stuff on the map since it's still covered, while the edges of the map are very clearly displayed with blocky map bits.

On an unrelated note, got to the point now where I one shot bosses. Death Fist is way OP, I've hit a boss for 3700 with it(which at lvl 15 is instant death). Even without it though Flurry with a 2H is stupid damage, even without crits I do upwards to 1500damage by stacking Rage+Oath of Desecration before hitting and now that I had Nullify Resistances it does even more and if I crit a few times it's like 2000-3000damage(my weapon has 18%crit too so it's not uncommon). My rogue did pretty good damage but these 2 skills are way stronger, granted Rogue does sustained high damage over any number of turns while those have cooldowns(only 4turns for Death Fist though so it's not even that bad).

Durante

I just saw that Divinity is back at the #1 spot on Steam. Over a month from release, and without any sale or special event. I never expected this.

Braccus Rex and co

I did that at level 8. What a PITA.

BPoole

I just saw that Divinity is back at the #1 spot on Steam. Over a month from release, and without any sale or special event. I never expected this.

I love seeing a game selling on it's own merits/word of mouth rather than a multi million dollar marketing budget

There is a scale at the top of the barter menu and if you click it, it will automatically match your gold to their asking price.

40 hrs in and I had no idea about this. LOL I am an idiot.

Immaculates Questline Question:

What the heck am I supposed to do in Sacred Stone? I killed the Shopkeeper Woman and her bodyguards but thats about it. Should I just wreck the guards and free everyone in the prison? Also what is the trick for the Immaculate temple in the North? I have the amulet to get in but there doesn't seem to be anything to do. Is there a way to proceed deeper into the temple? Need the sacred blood or whatever to finish the spell.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
93E8941060D9ECB1B30E0A456021D898F15CD6D4

The barrier of pots and boxes strikes against but this time against braccus rex!

Seriously this never fails to be over powered. Never fight more than one boss at a time.

but really...how the fuck do I beat
king boreas

Well...
he's healed by fire and water attacks, so avoid those. IIRC poison is what he is least resistant to, so focus on those attacks (if you have them). Take some time before battle to line up and distribute your resistance potions and spells to your party so you know where they are - you'll need them. Water resistance in particular will be critical in mitigating KB's melee damage, but other elements are also needed to survive his other elemental summons. After all of that, it's a simple matter of burning alive long enough to take him down.

king boreas

The statues around the arena cause the AOE effects and also his resistance to the elements. Once you start the convo with him switch to another party member and have them destroy the statues. Makes the fight much easier.

king boreas

The shrines around the room to get resist buffs and Immunity to Freeze/Water Shield I guess are key for this fight. I really don't know though cause I got a lucky string of crits when I hit him with flurry and killed him on the 3rd round of the fight, he barely changed the room's elements to fire so I saw that mechanic but then he died right away. Use potions, use Absorb the Elements, use element specific Shield spells if they stack with the buff not sure and just whittle him down I guess?

Might want to change the elements on your weapons too so you don't heal him every hit or use stock weapons without any elemental damage on them. If you have 5 blacksmithing, you can craft pretty good basic weapons, make sure to polish them at a whetstone wheel to increase damage and if you have the money/there's some for sale, add Tormented Souls to them(might need crafting for that) to get +2str/+2dex on top.

bbd23

The statues around the arena cause the AOE effects and also his resistance to the elements. Once you start the convo with him switch to another party member and have them destroy the statues. Makes the fight much easier.

weird..we tried that....but felt like it wasnt working... will attempt again

Exuro

Well just found out that you can't finish Goblin Trouble if you
kill Lawrence
. Time to go back 5 or so hours and not do that...

SRG01

I'm at the point where
I need star/blood stones to get through a door in the Source Temple, but don't really feel like figuring out which ones I'm missing. Is there another way to get through here?

You should have 11-12 if you follow the main plotline. If you have 11, make sure you dig up the one near the broken mirror.

SRG01

king boreas

If I remember correctly, a lot of the large AoE spells that come out of the grates don't hit the stairs as much, so turtling helps. Charm helps immensely during this battle too. I can't recall if Boreas can be stun locked though.

Keep summoning/charming things, and chip away. Took me a solid hour or so.

Ysiadmihi:

Make sure you've used all the bloodstones you have, not just keep them in your inventory. ALSO, make sure you've gotten rid of any unwanted problems in your homestead.

Finalow

"fuck this shit" - my reaction to the weights puzzle during the
Immaculate Trials
. used the pyramids to get past those barriers.

Heh, in a "class room" you notice that one of the students has a book called "How to fake illness" on his table. Later when you scout the teacher's room you will see the book "How to spot fake illness" there. :) Love these small touches. :)
I also love this. there is so much stuff to explore.

Immaculate Trials
. used the pyramids to get past those barriers.

I also love this. there is so much stuff to explore.

Heh I figured that one out by
putting the barrel that actually has some writing on it and seeing it was 7.5lb or whatever. Saw that the 3 other buttons were sized and went accordingly. first was 5lb, the other was 2 i think and the last 1lbs.
Didn't take me too long to figure it out especially since they clicked when you got the proper weight on em.

Just finished the Trials actually.

I am lv. 8-9 and
was up against those 5 other lv. 13-14 enemies. My entire group kept getting stun-locked so i said F it and just left to go to the homestead again at end of time.

One thing I just learned, this game doesn't compensate stat gain for being able to equip a weapon. Found this bad boy.

ibcZUfYQPqrNdz.png

My Knight has 11 STR, needs 12. But the weapon has +2 str. So if I equipped I would go to 13 but it doesn't allow the equip.

Oh and of course also I wouldn't be able to swing the thing lmao.

I also found this thing

Awesome

The fact that I am finding gear that is so above my level is making me think I have explored a bit too much too soon lol. Enemies are lv. 13-15 and I'm only lv. 8-9 but holding my own thanks to stun-locking ... sometimes.

Brakke

Banned
Heh. I equipped a +2 Str weapon once to boost me high enough to equip an armor that replaced a +1 Str armor, then went back down to my +1 Str weapon that didn't have AP penalty.

Silly.

Zushin

This game looks interesting! I've always wanted to get into Baldur's gate style games, but never understood the DnD rules. I assume you don't need to know them for this game?

This game looks interesting! I've always wanted to get into Baldur's gate style games, but never understood the DnD rules. I assume you don't need to know them for this game?

This game doesn't use DnD rules yeah(not that they're really complicated in BG), most of the stats are clearly explained ingame, at least their effects, for the actual real numbers you either test it yourself or check the wiki(mostly it's stuff like starting AP being perception+speed but it doesn't say what's the ratio, it's just half of each added together). It also uses simple logical mechanics of elemental combos, so water increases chance to freeze or electrocute, poison is explosive so fire creates explosions, fire cancel freezing by heating up while water cancels burning, that kind of stuff. The combat is also turn by turn unlike BG.

On the level 8-9 thing, did you skip
Black Cove? The pirate cave past the orcs on the beach west of Cyseal
. Seems really low level. Also the Immaculate stuff is kinda the 2nd arc of the map, stuff in
Hiberheim
is lower level so should be a bit easier, but it's still 12 as far as I remember so you're pretty far behind.

Zushin

This game doesn't use DnD rules yeah(not that they're really complicated in BG), most of the stats are clearly explained ingame, at least their effects, for the actual real numbers you either test it yourself or check the wiki(mostly it's stuff like starting AP being perception+speed but it doesn't say what's the ratio, it's just half of each added together). It also uses simple logical mechanics of elemental combos, so water increases chance to freeze or electrocute, poison is explosive so fire creates explosions, fire cancel freezing by heating up while water cancels burning, that kind of stuff. The combat is also turn by turn unlike BG.

Durante

Immaculate Trials
I thought that was one of the best puzzles in the game. I love that it's actually based on
weight, and not on any particular items like it would be in most other games.

Enco

I'm 4 hours in.

Is it faster to restart with the new AI personalities or to unlock the 3 stones to change it in game?

Torraz

Just now got to
Silverglen

I read that at this point I should have access to
the secret seller
in the homestead, however I just unlocked
the first elemental room
Did I miss a star stone? Is that possible?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm currently at that weight puzzle during the Immaculate Trials and I have no idea what to do. I've got one switch to click on the West of the map, aaand that's it. :/
I feel like I should maybe explore the mines, but on the other hand, there might be some way to
un-invunarable those knights in the immaculate's village.

Lttp, I know, but I found out Glass Canon is indeed incredibly usefull. :p
I'm 4 hours in.

Is it faster to restart with the new AI personalities or to unlock the 3 stones to change it in game?
Why not roleplay both?
But restarting's faster. Getting three Starstones took me like twenty hours. That's not saying much, though. I'm taking it really slow. Already 110 hours in (!) :)

Finalow

I thought that was one of the best puzzles in the game. I love that it's actually based on
weight, and not on any particular items like it would be in most other games.
yes, it's different than the usual boring puzzles but it made me rage since all the vases there had 5 weight, even the smaller ones, wth. I started searching for items from my inventory with the right weight but it didn't work, they were mostly 0.2, 0.25, 2,25 etc. - and I had to leave those items there. I guess that I was probably missing something.

I had fun with this puzzle instead,
Maradino's teleporters.
- this guy is everywhere. the reward wasn't really good though, probably should have loaded the game a couple of times there.

ViviOggi

I should probably get around to getting Glass Cannon up on my mage... when do you get a trait point, is it every three levels? Never paid much attention to it.

MrBud360

This game and Star Citizen are the proof that Ultima and Wing Commander franchises are in the wrong hands.....

How is the dlc handled in this game? Is it low level or end game? Just trying to find out if I should purchase now or later. I would rather wait.

Enco

I'm currently at that weight puzzle during the Immaculate Trials and I have no idea what to do. I've got one switch to click on the West of the map, aaand that's it. :/
I feel like I should maybe explore the mines, but on the other hand, there might be some way to
un-invunarable those knights in the immaculate's village.

Lttp, I know, but I found out Glass Canon is indeed incredibly usefull. :p
Why not roleplay both?
But restarting's faster. Getting three Starstones took me like twenty hours. That's not saying much, though. I'm taking it really slow. Already 110 hours in (!) :)
Thanks.

Guess I'll just keep going and roleplay both characters.

Top Bottom