• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I'm about lvl 3 right now. Exploring and such. My two characters are absolute assholes to each other. I love it. lol Combat is kicking my ass though. =(

Corpekata

Banned
I started this blind last night. Enjoying it, but there was one thing that seemed either buggy or just terribly unclear.

I started with a golden chalice thing in my inventory. I forget its name but the description was something about turning things to gold, so I figured it was how you sell stuff.

Anyway, I tried combining various things with it, but nothing worked. When I tried cup+Old Cloth Bracers, it told me that the recipe worked and made Improved Bracers. But I didn't get any Improved Bracers. I've still got the old ones. And I kept trying, but nothing ever happened (except a message telling me it totally worked, I promise).

Anyone know wtf is going on?

The Golden Grail is a former Kickstarter backer item. All it does is change the color of gear (to golden) and make it slightly more valuable, so you can sell it for a bit more.

You should similarly start with a pair of talking underwear that will chastise you throughout the game if you decide to don them.

Anno

I started this blind last night. Enjoying it, but there was one thing that seemed either buggy or just terribly unclear.

I started with a golden chalice thing in my inventory. I forget its name but the description was something about turning things to gold, so I figured it was how you sell stuff.

Anyway, I tried combining various things with it, but nothing worked. When I tried cup+Old Cloth Bracers, it told me that the recipe worked and made Improved Bracers. But I didn't get any Improved Bracers. I've still got the old ones. And I kept trying, but nothing ever happened (except a message telling me it totally worked, I promise).

Anyone know wtf is going on?

I honestly don't remember if it makes the item any better, it may just make it more valuable and turn the color to gold. Are you sure it's not what you're wearing? If it's something that shows on your character is it a gold color now?

I just started this and barely made it past the first tutorial encounter (the woman who summons an archer and two minions). My companion died and I was nearly dead.

Three questions...
How do you heal between battles?
During combat where do they show the available APs for my characters.
When creating a character is there a way to modify the companion (playing solo at the moment). I keep quitting out the creator to try and get something I like as a partner.

Also..
I will take any beginner tips!!

JambiBum

I just started this and barely made it past the first tutorial encounter (the woman who summons an archer and two minions). My companion died and I was nearly dead.

Three questions...
When creating a character is there a way to modify the companion (playing solo at the moment). I keep quitting out the creator to try and get something I like as a partner.

Also..

You don't automatically heal between battles like in most games. You need to eat food/drink potions/use spells to heal in between fights. You should be able to modify both characters to however you want.

Anno

Three questions...

Also..

What platform are you playing on? You can definitely modify basically everything about both characters, but I'm not sure where the options are or what they look like on console.

Re: healing, you'll need food or potions or healing spells. A few skills can start with healing spells, but you may not have them. Do you know what skill trees your characters are currently in? The spells don't cost mana, you just need to wait the cooldown time and you can heal again.

APs are the green/red dots right above your characters skill bar.

Edit: Here are a lot of great beginners tips.

Lanrutcon

Three questions...

Also..

Well, if you had problems with the first tutorial fight on normal then whoa boy :) gotta shape up, son! If I can make a suggestion: make one of your starting characters a Wizard (caster with fire/earth magic), and pick 'Summon Spider' as one of your starting spells. Use the spider during the first round of combat, always. It's a meat shield. Resummon it whenever you can.

There, I just saved you a crapload of frustration.

First..thanks!

I am playing on the PS4.
The only option I see is to enable a second controller to modify the character. I will try that now. There must be another way though..not everyone has an extra controller.

-I'm really not this stupid...
You can just scroll over the the secondary character.

About to start from scratch...

The Golden Grail is a former Kickstarter backer item. All it does is change the color of gear (to golden) and make it slightly more valuable, so you can sell it for a bit more.

You should similarly start with a pair of talking underwear that will chastise you throughout the game if you decide to don them.

Was wondering what those were.

Anno

First..thanks!

I am playing on the PS4.
The only option I see is to enable a second controller to modify the character. I will try that now. There must be another way though..not everyone has an extra controller.

Yeah that seems crazy town if so. On PC it's on the first screen that comes up where the two characters are shown. Somewhere there it says "Customize" or something.

Yeah that seems crazy town if so. On PC it's on the first screen that comes up where the two characters are shown. Somewhere there it says "Customize" or something.

I just did an edit on my post. If I cant figure out how to create a character I really am doomed!!

Ricker

I just did an edit on my post. If I cant figure out how to create a character I really am doomed!!

Nah,its cpmplicated because they show you your guy on the left and the guy on the right it says Player 2,so some might think if you are playing alone,you dont need to do anything,well you dont but it can be changed...a lot of stuff is complicated for no reason in this game lol...

Miker

I think Cyseal may be too big for its own good as a starting town. It's amazing how dense it is in terms of things to do, but it's also intimidating, and if you're bent on doing everything before moving on, as I am, it can really slow down the pace.

Also, I've put points into crafting and loremaster in one of my characters, but I've heard that it's a waste because henchmen or companions can craft/identify/whatever. What's the verdict?

Ourobolus

Banned
I think Cyseal may be too big for its own good as a starting town. It's amazing how dense it is in terms of things to do, but it's also intimidating, and if you're bent on doing everything before moving on, as I am, it can really slow down the pace.

Also, I've put points into crafting and loremaster in one of my characters, but I've heard that it's a waste because henchmen or companions can craft/identify/whatever. What's the verdict?

a point or two is fine. I wouldn't go past that though.

Anno

It's fine to have on your main characters, too. I prefer having crafting there actually, makes it easier to keep components primarily on one person.

Regarding Cyseal, I don't mind it much. The quests are interesting and if you find a couple of a smaller fights that are around town you can get to level 3 without too much trouble and get off into the countryside.

I can see why people get a little thrown off by the pacing after just having been introduced to the combat then having a couple hours of non-combat, though.

vocab

If you want to min max sure, get a henchman. However, I find that to be tedious to go to homestead to just craft. I just used Jahan as my dedicated crafter/blacksmith (he comes with points there) while my mage was the loremaster. You get gear that increases some of those skills so I wear that gear to get a bonus. Theres enough skill points to get whatever you need.

Corpekata

Banned
Crafting on your non-party members is probably the ideal min-maxing way to approach things but I don't think the game exactly requires that in the first place. Maybe it does on Tactician and Honor mode, but normal playthroughs I wouldn't worry too much about having a perfect build like that.

Lanrutcon

Crafting is very much a mid/late game skill. I really hope they fixed some of the stupidly rare ingredients. I remember taking aaaages to upgrade my bow.

Edit: Wands are...like. I mean. I picked up 2 wands during the tutorial dungeon that have 3 charges of fireball each. Fireball, guys. Those 2 wands alone are going to make my first few fights outside the town walls complete cakewalks.

It's fine to have on your main characters, too. I prefer having crafting there actually, makes it easier to keep components primarily on one person.

Regarding Cyseal, I don't mind it much. The quests are interesting and if you find a couple of a smaller fights that are around town you can get to level 3 without too much trouble and get off into the countryside.

I can see why people get a little thrown off by the pacing after just having been introduced to the combat then having a couple hours of non-combat, though.

The main issue with Cyseal is that there is no content after Act 1.

I am intrigued by the dialogue interplay between the two protagonists meta game, and how people approach it.

There are a couple of ways you can approach it, you can let you main character have their opinion/your opinion and then your partner offer an opposite viewpoint leading to the RPS mini game or you can have your partner be a yesman and agree or you can mix it up.

Obviously if you offer up an opposite viewpoint there is a chance that this viewpoint may win (RPS being random I assume) but does this offer more in the way of traits? is it better to do it this way to have a balanced party? I assume having two protagonists with different traits and outlooks offers up a better spread of experiences rather than having them both think the same?

I chose no AI for one and rascal for the other. Did I miss my opportunity to have them interact with one another?

Edit : Nevermind. I read up about the subject online.

Neoweee

OMFG. An interface... for crafting? What the hell is this? An in-game recipe list? WTF?

EDIT: I'm joking. This is amazing.

Is there a collected log of all the minute changes to this game I can look up? I heard of the Glass Cannon nerf and the removal of charm arrows and now want to see what else they did to the combat.

Man, I am so damn mad at this game right now.

I spent a good hour and a half trying to figure out how the hell do i leave the "end of time" to get back to the town i was in before. The damn imp said he'd show us how to teleport out of there and didnt do that, even the log said he showed us, but he aint showed us shit.

The game just flat out didn't tell me, I been walking around that place the whole time trying to figure out how to leave, reloading save games thinking that maybe it was a glitch or something. Only got out of there by pure mistake, when viewing the map, gotta use the got dayum map and tab over to another page to leave...........WUT!? I was so fucking mad dude. I thought it would of been a dialog optio, or an object to interact with or an item to use, or a teleport skill, or a tutorial box pop to tell me how to teleport, or SOMETHING. I would have NEVER thought to use the map.

and second, im getting super frustrated because i bought this game so me and my friend can play couch co-op, and use split screen to play, but she can not move her camera at all, like the right analog stick doesn't do anything for the second player and its really frustrating her and now she wont play because of it.....................

man, I think im done with this game for a while, im just too heated to continue playing, fallout cant get here soon enough.

I spent a good hour and a half trying to figure out how the hell do i leave the "end of time" to get back to the town i was in before. The damn imp said he'd show us how to teleport out of there and didnt do that, even the log said he showed us, but he aint showed us shit.

The game just flat out didn't tell me, I been walking around that place the whole time trying to figure out how to leave, reloading save games thinking that maybe it was a glitch or something. Only got out of there by pure mistake, when viewing the map, gotta use the got dayum map and tab over to another page to leave...........WUT!? I was so fucking mad dude. I thought it would of been a dialog optio, or an object to interact with or an item to use, or a teleport skill, or a tutorial box pop to tell me how to teleport, or SOMETHING. I would have NEVER thought to use the map.

and second, im getting super frustrated because i bought this game so me and my friend can play couch co-op, and use split screen to play, but she can not move her camera at all, like the right analog stick doesn't do anything for the second player and its really frustrating her and now she wont play because of it.....................

man, I think im done with this game for a while, im just too heated to continue playing, fallout cant get here soon enough.

I just went to the in game screen where you load save files. Right above that on the same menu is an option that allows you to pick a portal and warp there. But I will admit it wasn't obvious to me either.

Ourobolus

Banned

There should have been a giant flashing green icon on the side of your screen...

I don't blame you for not figuring it out, but why didn't you just google how to leave the area?

Burt

I just opened up (homestead)
the Hall of Heroes
and I think there's some sort of bug --
when I ask to see a list of new recruits to hire generic party members another character pops up next to the vendor but no list pops up, and I can't talk to him anymore.

This a permanent bug, or will it sort itself out once I progress a bit?

Anything on this? Still bugging out on me.

Dizzy-4U

I guess that works like Alt on the PC, absolutely essential if you're looking for a key or quest item that's in with a load of other stuff
Yeah, sort of.... Very elegantly done, I'm very impressed with the controller support.

Skn9AqU.png

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
My apologies if this question has been asked:

Is there a way to disable the floating black box descriptions of items and objects (Cheese, Bread, Bucket, Chest, etc.) that appears in the city? It's especially bad and distracting in the marketplace where every object is labeled on screen - and when you enter buildings and homes, it gets extremely cluttered.

There doesn't serm to be an option to turn it off in the menu (that I've found). I don't know what I did to activate this - it wasn't like this during the dungeon or the beach.

Edit: Actually, I just figured out how to do it - clicking R3 turns the floating descriptions on and off.

Something else that wasn't explained well enough to me is how to highlight my character when an exclamation mark appears above their heads. I know to hit x afterwards but that is it.

I got started earlier tonight. I created a couple of characters and explored the beginning a little bit. The game seems fun and quite deep. Choosing dialogue for two different characters is going to probably take me some time to figure out exactly how to play it.

I don't think I'm going to have too much time to play this for a couple of weeks, but I can tell that it will be fun when I do.

vocab

My apologies if this question has been asked:

Is there a way to disable the floating black box descriptions of items and objects (Cheese, Bread, Bucket, Chest, etc.) that appears in the city? It's especially bad and distracting in the marketplace where every object is labeled on screen - and when you enter buildings and homes, it gets extremely cluttered.

There doesn't serm to be an option to turn it off in the menu (that I've found). I don't know what I did to activate this - it wasn't like this during the dungeon or the beach.

On PC holding alt does that ala diablo 2 style. If it's always on there's probably something in the options about it.

Anno

I got started earlier tonight. I created a couple of characters and explored the beginning a little bit. The game seems fun and quite deep. Choosing dialogue for two different characters is going to probably take me some time to figure out exactly how to play it.

I don't think I'm going to have too much time to play this for a couple of weeks, but I can tell that it will be fun when I do.

I realize you already started and probably don't want to restart, but you can assign a bunch of different AI's to one or both of your characters if you don't want to effectively argue with yourself.

epmode

Something else that wasn't explained well enough to me is how to highlight my character when an exclamation mark appears above their heads. I know to hit x afterwards but that is it.

Can't you just switch to a main character that doesn't have an exclamation mark and talk to them? Just walk up and press A.

I realize you already started and probably don't want to restart, but you can assign a bunch of different AI's to one or both of your characters if you don't want to effectively argue with yourself.

Yeah, I saw the option was there.

But I'd prefer to go in deep. It's going to take some time to get used to, but I actually can see this being a lot of fun. It's forcing me to really come up with a strong idea of what my characters' personalities and motivations are, rather than just choosing options on the fly.

Can't you just switch to a main character that doesn't have an exclamation mark and talk to them? Just walk up and press A.

Are we talking about quests? The tutorial wasn't clear. All I know is it said to highlight and press x. I have no idea how to highlight. But I will try your suggestion, thanks.

Type2

Ive been waiting to jump into this game for a long time now. Just redeemed my kickstarter code and installed it.

Any tips for someone going in blind?
Anyone want to add me for some co-op at some point?

Im not sure if I can play much tonight if at all though.

Top Bottom