• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Starting Gear Pick: Inquisitor
Speed 7
Dexterity 8
Dual Wield 2
Hydromancy 1
Scoundrel 1

Talent:
Far Out Man
Know it all

Skillpicks:
Scoundrel - Hide in Shadow
Scoundrel - Fast Track
Hydromancy - Regeneration

Combat tactics. Start fight. Fast Track. Hide in Shadow. Re-position. Unload dual wield wand at 4 AP per shot. If you reserve the right amount of AP, you can fire 3x in one turn and these cannot miss unlike melee/bow attacks. They also have a chance to apply elemental effect like electric stun, fire burn. So be careful when you fight on water puddle.

Sample combat video here

This seems interesting. Made one of my characters like this but not sure how to grow them from here. Just more Scoundrel ranks and skills or dabble in magic instead? Hydromancy doesn't seem to be the best use of magic skills.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this gets a good sale at Christmas, I want to pop my turn based RPG cherry with this game.

Walpurgis

Banned
Looks like it's doing well.
j4bj6Ff.png

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015JTEAAC/

MattyG

Banned
So, beginner question; what's my best option for when a party member is down and I'm out of potions/resurrection scrolls? One of my party members died on the beach outside Cyseal, and I don't know what to do.

Corpekata

Banned
So, beginner question; what's my best option for when a party member is down and I'm out of potions/resurrection scrolls? One of my party members died on the beach outside Cyseal, and I don't know what to do.

Need to buy a scroll in town or learn the skill (it's in Witchcraft) though the latter is for higher levels.

Need to buy a scroll in town or learn the skill (it's in Witchcraft).

I was pretty far in the original game and never found a way to learn the resurrection spell rather than just using the scrolls. Can you actually teach resurrection as a spell?

EDIT: Well, what do you know, you can find ressurection skillbooks. I tried crafting them but apparently you couldn't craft them like every other spellbook.

Corpekata

Banned
I was pretty far in the original game and never found a way to learn the resurrection spell rather than just using the scrolls. Can you actually teach resurrection as a spell?

Yeah, but it's a mid to late game spell, and IIRC it has to be purchased, isn't a drop.

Finally putting some time into this. Really like it so far but a bit paralyzed on character builds. Debating researching it up....

Finally putting some time into this. Really like it so far but a bit paralyzed on character builds. Debating researching it up....

If you're like me you're might just restart the game a bunch of times early till you understand how to create some decent characters. If you want some tips on character creation, here are some that I'll put in the spoiler tag below.

You should avoid making either of your player characters proficient in Scoundrel, Expert Marksmen, Hydrosophist, and Aerotheurge skills as there are 3 companions in the first town that are already have points in those skills so it would be a waste to make a dedicated archer, rouge, and water/wind mage.

There's a fourth companion in the same town that starts with only Man-at-Arms skills but since there are a lot of diverse skills in that school it's not a bad idea to make one of your player character use it as well. That same companion also is proficient in 2handed weapons so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a character who is proficient in 1handed weapons and also points in shields or dual wielding.

You should make one of your characters a dedicated crafter (ie put points into blacksmithing and crafting). Crafting is very important in this game IMO. Some people will tell you to create a no name companion later on when you reach this special place that's basically a dedicated crafter but that's only if you are anal about min/maxing. There's a trait that gives 1 point into crafting and blacksmithing that you can put on one of your characters at the character creation screen. It's not necessary but is not a bad idea.

Also make sure one of your characters has at least one point in loremaster so you can identify items immediately. You'll eventually get rings that give like +2/3 loremaster so just equip that on the character that already had +1 loremaster.

Finally, make sure one of your player characters has the Pet Pal trait so you can talk to animals. You'll miss out on some sidequests otherwise. You can't give this trait to the 4 companions as they can't talk to NPCs btw.

P.S. Later on, you can respec your player characters with the steep cost of losing all your learned spells and skills. You can always buy or find more copies of those missing spells and skills so don't be afraid on stocking up on said skillbooks if you ever want to respec.

skyhaven

Neo Member
This seems interesting. Made one of my characters like this but not sure how to grow them from here. Just more Scoundrel ranks and skills or dabble in magic instead? Hydromancy doesn't seem to be the best use of magic skills.

You probably want some Aeromancer as well for the ease of crowd control. Teleport, Chill wind is really overpowered. Hydromancer gains access to Freezing Touch, Rain if you can afford the books. They're all one skill point tier spells.

The advantage of wand attacks are 100% to hit chances. No armor consideration, only elemental resistance. And capable of elemental effect triggers. Hydro casts Rain, causing puddle and Wet effect. Wet reduces Air Resistance = More Air Wand damage and chance to stun on hit.

People that get close to you gets hit by Chill Wind (2 AP), Freezing Touch (3 AP), all these fail? Teleport (7 AP) drop them back to their start.

Scoundrel 1 Skill point - Hide in Shadow, Fast Track, wait till level 3, Adrenaline. Done. 8 DEX is all you need. Done.

It's pretty disgusting when you consider how many crowd control options and AP you have at that point. Let's recap the options you get at level 3:

- Dual Air Wands that can stun. Or perhaps Fire wand to detonate a cloud of gas?
- Hide in Shadow / Fast Track combo to avoid aggro at the start of combat and reserve AP for 2nd round. Adrenaline that recovers 50% AP immediately for emergencies.
- Chill Wind to freeze from 15 metre at 2 AP
- Teleport to drop enemy away from you when they get too close at 7 AP
- Shocking Touch to stun at close range for 3 AP
- Freezing Touch to freeze at close range for 3 AP
- Rain to lower Air Resistance and trigger electric stun pool. Wonderful opener.
- Healing to self heal during and after combat.

If you really can't build a 'workable' build from then on, then maybe you need to narrow down the role of this build. I call it the high AP wizard, capable of unloading crucial crowd control and dishing out effective damage at range with no regards to cooldowns. The higher your INT, the more likely you will land freeze/stun with spells and the more damage wands do. So it's perfect. The Wizard has constant source of damage while having cheap AP CC to spam at the start of fight to even the odds.

Know It All is kind of a trap though, it's incredibly inefficient. It's kinda ok-ish early game, but once you get the ability to respec(granted that happens fairly late in the game), you can trade 1 talent point for 2 attributes or 10ability points. That means stuff like Know it All, Bigger and Better, All skilled out are very very poor choices for late game. And since you really don't need them in general unless doing some hybrid build that requires a large amount of different stats, I would definitely pick something else. Now you can respec out of them fine, but respecing is very expensive and annoying since you lost all your spells so you have to go find books for everything again/craft books for stuff that doesn't drop.

For a mage, there's not that much to pick from, but having Pet Pal on that char is a potential choice, Stench is pretty good if stuff ever gets in melee range/starts in melee range as mobs will tend to change target if you have it, Elemental Affinity is really solid lategame(not so much early, but can be nice if you stand in pools of water for Hydro spells at the very least since there's little downside). Also Scientist if you plan on making that char your crafter, but I would recommend against it on a mage as there's way too good skills to level on mages with all the magic schools, even if only for situational spells.

Wands definitely feel broken though. Yesterday I noticed you can actually crit with them. Crit was a useless stat for mages before but with wands critting, it's actually decent now.

Burt

I just opened up (homestead)
the Hall of Heroes
and I think there's some sort of bug --
when I ask to see a list of new recruits to hire generic party members another character pops up next to the vendor but no list pops up, and I can't talk to him anymore.

This a permanent bug, or will it sort itself out once I progress a bit?

Anything on this? Still bugging out on me.

Anything on this? Still bugging out on me.

This sounds like a bug yeah as you get access to it right away. You tried reloading a previous save/exiting homestead and coming back? Might be UI issue too, see if setting stuff to default helps, you don't really need to use the menu more than once overall since once the henchmen are hired they just stick in the hall even if you drop them iirc.

Burt

This sounds like a bug yeah as you get access to it right away. You tried reloading a previous save/exiting homestead and coming back? Might be UI issue too, see if setting stuff to default helps, you don't really need to use the menu more than once overall since once the henchmen are hired they just stick in the hall even if you drop them iirc.

Yeah, nvm, it just doesn't work in controller mode for some reason. Works fine with the keyboard, but going from controller mode to keyboard mode apparently takes a full restart. Is there a place I should report this?

Yeah, nvm, it just doesn't work in controller mode for some reason. Works fine with the keyboard, but going from controller mode to keyboard mode apparently takes a full restart. Is there a place I should report this?

Official forums http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=17 have a bugs thread but don't know if they read it or what. Were you in splitscreen when that happened? I would have assumed more people would have ran into the issue if it was for all gamepad users.

UberTag

Probably just means there weren't a lot of copies printed out in the first place.
That's more likely the case.
The Talos Principle was notoriously thin on supply as well.

Could literally find only one online retailer with any semblance of stock during its launch week and I just elected to grab it at less than retail minus tax minus shipping off PSN because it was appreciably cheaper to go that route.

Xeteh

Has anyone done the quest "Arhu's
Failed Experiment"? Using the remote to disable his weapons is making him say he needs another charge but his next turn without anything charging him he just Ultra Bolts anyway. Am I missing something?
Am I missing something?

Styles

Um, so I am stuck at the loading screen before the character creation screen. Have there been any solutions for this? The loading bar doesn't fill up at all. :(

[e d i t] Never mind, it finally loaded, phew.

shmoglish

Not sure if I have a bug. Level 9 now and doing some sidequests. Made it to the secret cave (with all the Orcs in front of it,
Black Cove
) and the fight against
Crabspiderthing and Captain Skell (made the Source beast the first time I entered the cove)
were no problem. But the last way
after the captains room
is a bit strange. There is some oil and a few bomborcs. Killing them from the distance, easy. But even without the oil and while it is raining I start to burn after this fight and have no idea why. Is this normal?
Both are fantastic. Eco Draconis was my first Larian game and I loved it, so I tried Divine Divinity on GOG and loved it even more. Amazing stuff.

All of them except for Beyond Divinity. Attempt no playing there.

Should check to see if you have Divinity II Developers Cut in your library, Enhanced Edition isn't the first time Larian has been awesome with customers about updated versions. That has a bunch of options that are more for replaying or screwing around as I recall however, but the big thing is to play a Dragon Knight Saga version rather than just Eco Draconis.
Thank you, will keep that in mind. And I am sure eco draconis is the Dev Cut.
OK, so the graveyard is......interesting!!!!
Told you! Good place for low levels (and you can do something for the mainquest...)

Oreiller

Has anyone done the quest "Arhu's
Failed Experiment"? Using the remote to disable his weapons is making him say he needs another charge but his next turn without anything charging him he just Ultra Bolts anyway. Am I missing something?
Am I missing something?
I have the same issue. I think this quest might be bugged.

Know It All is kind of a trap though, it's incredibly inefficient. It's kinda ok-ish early game, but once you get the ability to respec(granted that happens fairly late in the game), you can trade 1 talent point for 2 attributes or 10ability points. That means stuff like Know it All, Bigger and Better, All skilled out are very very poor choices for late game. And since you really don't need them in general unless doing some hybrid build that requires a large amount of different stats, I would definitely pick something else. Now you can respec out of them fine, but respecing is very expensive and annoying since you lost all your spells so you have to go find books for everything again/craft books for stuff that doesn't drop.

For a mage, there's not that much to pick from, but having Pet Pal on that char is a potential choice, Stench is pretty good if stuff ever gets in melee range/starts in melee range as mobs will tend to change target if you have it, Elemental Affinity is really solid lategame(not so much early, but can be nice if you stand in pools of water for Hydro spells at the very least since there's little downside). Also Scientist if you plan on making that char your crafter, but I would recommend against it on a mage as there's way too good skills to level on mages with all the magic schools, even if only for situational spells.

Wands definitely feel broken though. Yesterday I noticed you can actually crit with them. Crit was a useless stat for mages before but with wands critting, it's actually decent now.
well, they are good for the first half of the game which is all that really matters while you are trying to finish a build. After that just respec.

well, they are good for the first half of the game which is all that really matters while you are trying to finish a build. After that just respec.

I guess but really didn't like respecing, might not be nearly as bad now that vendors seem to have static spell inventories and there's not as many unique drop/creation only books.

danowat

Banned
Told you! Good place for low levels (and you can do something for the mainquest...)

Graveyard spoilers

I first uncovered Jared, and didn't appreciate the huge bomb on his back, hit him and he exploded insta-killing my entire party and losing an hour of progress! (must save more), returned and made sure I had some distance, killed him again but this time Murphy the dog had gotten close, so he died :(

Then I found the greaving mother, decided not to exume her daughter and instead exumed the philosopher, won his quiz which was fun!

Then I exhumed Dave, he was a little tougher (both Dave and Jared are Lvl8?), but the greaving mother decided to wade in, and died, which solves the issue of not exhuming her daughters body!

shmoglish

Graveyard spoilers

I first uncovered Jared, and didn't appreciate the huge bomb on his back, hit him and he exploded insta-killing my entire party and losing an hour of progress! (must save more), returned and made sure I had some distance, killed him again but this time Murphy the dog had gotten close, so he died :(

Then I found the greaving mother, decided not to exume her daughter and instead exumed the philosopher, won his quiz which was fun!

Then I exhumed Dave, he was a little tougher (both Dave and Jared are Lvl8?), but the greaving mother decided to wade in, and died, which solves the issue of not exhuming her daughters body!

:D Great, things like this happen to me sometimes and now I really save every 5 minutes. Still funny to read storys like this.

There is another grave behind the mother, without a gravestone iirc. This one is "important".

danowat

Banned
there was something that I found that the game completely omits to tell you (in hindsight I think the Kotaku beginners guide touched on it, but I didn't pay much notice to it), and that is that to upgrade an ability to the next level you need 2 ability points, I didn't realise this, and instead of saving the ability points I got for Lvl2 and 3 I spunked them on other abilities because I didn't appreciate that I should save them to upgrade my existing abilities.

If you're like me you're might just restart the game a bunch of times early till you understand how to create some decent characters. If you want some tips on character creation, here are some that I'll put in the spoiler tag below.

You should avoid making either of your player characters proficient in Scoundrel, Expert Marksmen, Hydrosophist, and Aerotheurge skills as there are 3 companions in the first town that are already have points in those skills so it would be a waste to make a dedicated archer, rouge, and water/wind mage.

There's a fourth companion in the same town that starts with only Man-at-Arms skills but since there are a lot of diverse skills in that school it's not a bad idea to make one of your player character use it as well. That same companion also is proficient in 2handed weapons so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a character who is proficient in 1handed weapons and also points in shields or dual wielding.

You should make one of your characters a dedicated crafter (ie put points into blacksmithing and crafting). Crafting is very important in this game IMO. Some people will tell you to create a no name companion later on when you reach this special place that's basically a dedicated crafter but that's only if you are anal about min/maxing. There's a trait that gives 1 point into crafting and blacksmithing that you can put on one of your characters at the character creation screen. It's not necessary but is not a bad idea.

Also make sure one of your characters has at least one point in loremaster so you can identify items immediately. You'll eventually get rings that give like +2/3 loremaster so just equip that on the character that already had +1 loremaster.

Finally, make sure one of your player characters has the Pet Pal trait so you can talk to animals. You'll miss out on some sidequests otherwise. You can't give this trait to the 4 companions as they can't talk to NPCs btw.

P.S. Later on, you can respec your player characters with the steep cost of losing all your learned spells and skills. You can always buy or find more copies of those missing spells and skills so don't be afraid on stocking up on said skillbooks if you ever want to respec.

Helpful, thanks! I'd actually built an archer and a water/wind Mage, so going to consider restarting.

Doc_Drop

Helpful, thanks! I'd actually built an archer and a water/wind Mage, so going to consider restarting.

It's definitely good to have a varied set of adventurers, but I would say you can play who you want as your mains. There is a bit of variety of who you can add to your team and you may find that their personality may not necessarily gel with yours is something worth considering. I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to take someone along because of their skills if I don't like their character.

Something to consider before abandoning progress

Although a mage with fire spells is advisable from the start in order to help with stubborn locks and doors ; )

Lanrutcon

Just a second opinion:
- Scoundrel has some really good supporting skills at level 1. So even if you don't make a dedicated Scoundrel, consider giving your characters one level to get them those supporting skills (the invisibility is sexy). I give my Archers 1 level of Scoundrel.
- There's no harm 'doubling up'. Like, I run 2 archers: one bow, one crossbow. Reason I do this is because my twin mages turn areas to shit, making melee combat virtually impossible. So 2 Archers coexist beautifully.
- 1 point in air magic gets you access to the Teleport spell. I get at least 1 point in air magic for all my mages, regardless of their main focus, just for Teleport. It's very easy to abuse, and turns the tide of battle with a little thought.
- The melee NPC you can recruit has the most annoying voice ever. You have been warned.

You can just use henchmen to fill the holes but if you want 2 companions, you definitely don't want a water/air mage since generally speaking you'll want 2 mages and Jahan is pretty specialized. However on the other hand, most mages will end up with like 2 in everything eventually, so you could easily just change Jahan into a fire mage down the road. 2 water and 2 air both have fairly decent adept spells that you'd want on every mage(invisibility, cleansing water and probably other stuff but those 2 come to mind specifically). So you don't have to remake, just adjust in the next few levels. Until like lvl 10 or so, 1point in everything is fine anyway, you don't need to hit 5 asap, since you can't find the books until later anyway.

For the archer well you can just pick any other companion, there's plenty of room.

I also disagree with the recommendation to not make a melee rogue because a companion can be one. Player melee rogues are A LOT better than companions(or henchman) due to traits, specifically the 20% chance to hit when backstabbing which basically gives you 100% chance to hit on everything if you're backstabbing which makes a huge difference. You also get +1sneaking if you do want to go that route(though with the nerfs, probably not), +1lockpicking if you go that and immunity to fear/curse as well as the other goodies that come from traits. That's not even taking into account the points wasted in stuff like lockpicking/pickpocketing/sneaking if you don't plan on getting these, or weird stat choices(when you really should be maxing dex/speed exclusively pretty much).

So overall I'd say, don't care too much about the companions unless you absolutely want them in your group. You can easily fit 2 of the companions in pretty much any setup, though preferably you'd have one mage in your starting lineup so you have 2 with the companion one.

It's definitely good to have a varied set of adventurers, but I would say you can play who you want as your mains. There is a bit of variety of who you can add to your team and you may find that their personality may not necessarily gel with yours is something worth considering. I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to take someone along because of their skills if I don't like their character.

Something to consider before abandoning progress

Although a mage with fire spells is advisable from the start in order to help with stubborn locks and doors ; )

That's my one missing skill right now!

Edit: lots of good advice, thanks all.

Noaloha

If you're missing fire spells you can, at a pinch, carry some candles around to trigger interactions (set your oil alight, remove poison etc.). I think you drag and drop from inventory if they're in your bag.

Lanrutcon

If you're missing fire spells you can, at a pinch, carry some candles around to trigger interactions (set your oil alight, remove poison etc.). I think you drag and drop from inventory if they're in your bag.

Fire wand.

Wands are so, so silly right now. I almost want to tell people to abuse them before Larian realise what they've done and patch things.

Rizzi

The homestead guy who lets you hire people seems busted for me. I can't interact with anything after I go to see who he has.

Doc_Drop

Fire wand.

Wands are so, so silly right now. I almost want to tell people to abuse them before Larian realise what they've done and patch things.

Yeh, I was taken aback by the OPness of them. Why even bother with a staff for a mage? Although admittedly, in the vanilla version, as my characters got more powerful I just levelled up and gave my mages melee weapons like two handers or one hand and shield in case enemies got up close and personal if my mages were still had spells on cooldowns.

Teppic

I fled from the battle in the graveyard. Now my characters aren't walking together anymore. How do I make them stick together again?

Doc_Drop

I fled from the battle in the graveyard. Now my characters aren't walking together anymore. How do I make them stick together again?

There's a chain that links your party. You can drag the portraits up and together and switch them around and even split them for very useful reasons. It's similar to the example in the tutorial dungeon

Top Bottom