• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Maybesew

I'm new to Divinity, and got started last night. I love crafting in RPGs, so I've been collecting every little scrap of things that I have come across in the first town.

I saw the links in the OP about crafting, but is there a more verbose guide of what items should be available around the starting area, and what makes sense to craft together to progress in my crafting skill?

Vitanimus

do the companions you get at cyseal have important quests? I made a 2 handed knight not realising there was already one available and I can't be bothered restarting. do they have an impact on the story or will I miss nothing if I just create some henchmen?

Ourobolus

Banned
do the companions you get at cyseal have important quests? I made a 2 handed knight not realising there was already one available and I can't be bothered restarting. do they have an impact on the story or will I miss nothing if I just create some henchmen?
They all have one quest that resolves late-game.

Sevenfold

I've just defeated him, the discharge command seems to be working so use that if you want to avoid its ultra bolts. You can also use Jahan to freeze it, it works fairly well. Its physical attacks still hurt a bunch though.

Thanks, don't know how I've missed that...

I sent rogue in with the remote, hit either discharge electricity and regen after physical/fire and disable weapons on second rotation. I teleported 1 mage into pack of fab 5 and helped with my mage, everyone else and spidy on the other mage and ignore archer. Soon as 1 mage down focus on other/archer then all fire on robo. The NPC good guys hit hard and as long as you can keep robo from using elements it's a pretty easy fight.

Any idea why it takes an age to sync my save to Steam when I quit the game? Doesn't happen with other games, it's really slow to upload.

epmode

Any idea why it takes an age to sync my save to Steam when I quit the game? Doesn't happen with other games, it's really slow to upload.

This game has a lot more data to store than most. Next time you save a game, look at the total size of your cloud storage.

Lanrutcon

Guys guys guys.

So wands have 3 charges of awesome shit. Fire wands, for example, cast motherfucking fireball, right? You get a massive AP penalty to wand use if you don't have the right magic. Like, to cast that fireball without Pyro 3 costs 13 AP.

But only in combat.

Activating wand charges from outside combat is free. So why the hell not start every combat with a free fireball? bonus points if your invisible party goes in to drop an explosive barrel beforehand.

Then there's the fact that attacking with a wand costs 3 AP. 3 AP gets you an attack, plus whatever effect the element of the wand is. Wanna drop some oil on the enemy, then light them up? Use a wand. It's an absurdly cheap way to trigger elemental combos at range, with 100% chance to hit. The first forest you have to clear is always rainy, so take an air wand and watch everything get stunned for 3 AP a shot.

Loving the game all over again.

Annubis

I see that the ranger and scoundrel 'teleport' skills seem to be gone.
Is there anything left that can do it other than teleport?

bati

Is anyone at high level yet and using Glass Cannon perks? If so, how many party members with it? I'm only at lvl 7 and took it on Jahan because I was afraid of gimping my party too much, health wise.

This game has a lot more data to store than most. Next time you save a game, look at the total size of your cloud storage.
It's taking like 5mins to upload! Supposedly it's 42MB in the cloud. Batman uploads in a second and that's about 7MB. Doesn't make sense. Are cloud servers handled by the devloper or provided by Steam? I've noticed they're different sizes.

ChanMan

Guys guys guys.

So wands have 3 charges of awesome shit. Fire wands, for example, cast motherfucking fireball, right? You get a massive AP penalty to wand use if you don't have the right magic. Like, to cast that fireball without Pyro 3 costs 13 AP.

But only in combat.

Activating wand charges from outside combat is free. So why the hell not start every combat with a free fireball? bonus points if your invisible party goes in to drop an explosive barrel beforehand.

Then there's the fact that attacking with a wand costs 3 AP. 3 AP gets you an attack, plus whatever effect the element of the wand is. Wanna drop some oil on the enemy, then light them up? Use a wand. It's an absurdly cheap way to trigger elemental combos at range, with 100% chance to hit. The first forest you have to clear is always rainy, so take an air wand and watch everything get stunned for 3 AP a shot.

Loving the game all over again.

That is good to know!

I am think I will stick with my Ranger and Inquisitor but now hearing about other party members I am not sure what to do with my classes as I plan to restart lol.

Also I am curious, do you have to choose Madora or Jahan as companions or can you choose someone else?

Ourobolus

Banned
Is anyone at high level yet and using Glass Cannon perks? If so, how many party members with it? I'm only at lvl 7 and took it on Jahan because I was afraid of gimping my party too much, health wise.

In the original, I pretty much gave it to everyone that wasn't a tank.

I'm not sure that I like the voice acting. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I like to read at my own pace and the talking breaks my concentration. Wish there was a way to toggle conversation VA off while keeping ambient VA on.

Whoa. I was about to be bitter that previous owners didn't get all the cool animations in this enhanced version, then noticed that I received the advanced version for free!

Eusis

Whoa. I was about to be bitter that previous owners didn't get all the cool animations in this enhanced version, then noticed that I received the advanced version for free!
I remember a similar feeling when I noticed a Developer's Cut came out for Divinity II and thought my brother may've made a mistake gifting me Divinity II before that came out and without me even playing the Dragon Knight Saga version much (and for a prior poster: Yes, Ego Draconis is the initial version of Divinity II)... only to see that I got the Developer's Cut in my Steam library anyway! Larian's really awesome with support, and they were virtually unknown to me before Divinity II especially when Atlus got to put out the 360 version of Dragon Knight Saga, and especially when I heard about Original Sin being a more old school RPG with actual turn based combat, which isn't so odd now, but was when it was announced and before Kickstarter really blew up for games.

Then there was hearing about Divine Divinity as a bonus for pre-ordering Witcher 2 on GOG, but that seemed like some obscure RPG that had enough of a cult following to get recommendations. Which is still valid, just that they blew up since then themselves.

Giever

That is good to know!

I am think I will stick with my Ranger and Inquisitor but now hearing about other party members I am not sure what to do with my classes as I plan to restart lol.

Also I am curious, do you have to choose Madora or Jahan as companions or can you choose someone else?

Madora and Jahan are two of the four unique NPCs that can join your party. You can also eventually hire ordinary mercenaries, if you'd prefer.

Crumbtiny

Madora and Jahan are two of the four unique NPCs that can join your party. You can also eventually hire ordinary mercenaries, if you'd prefer.

Is there freedom to customize the 4 other party members or are they pretty locked into their roles? Like, I don't expect to turn the warrior into a wizard, but how much, if any, flexibility do I have with that warrior?

JackDT

Ok, so they patched the random loot.

Which is terrible. It was effing hard to get artifacts for your builds with all the junk stats floating around. Now? now chest contents are decided before you even see them, and fixed in stone.

I look forward to all the two handed swords, daggers, shields and heavy armor my ranged party is going to find.

Oh wow. I love this change.

I'm the type of player who if I CAN save/reload over and over I will so I'd rather not have the option. It's not fun to sit there save scumming even after a battle for 20 minutes and I just can't resist the urge to min/max the loot.

It would be nice to have a checkbox in the difficulty options or something though for those who like it.

Giever

Is there freedom to customize the 4 other party members or are they pretty locked into their roles? Like, I don't expect to turn the warrior into a wizard, but how much, if any, flexibility do I have with that warrior?

As far as I know, they're only 'locked in' by virtue of the fact that they're level 3 when you get them. You can customize them however you'd like for each level after that. You may even be able to respec them eventually (I never got that far, so I'm not sure if you can do that for companions as well).

From what I understand, it would actually be fairly trivial to turn a warrior into a wizard, to be honest. Just have them learn whatever talents and abilities you want when they level, and give them the appropriate attributes. The biggest barrier to them being effective in a different role would be that their first two (or is it three?) talents would probably not be particularly effective outside of their intended class.

Baalzebup

They start with whatever perks and skills and stats etc that they currently have, but you have total control on their progress from there, the same as your own characters. The only thing they won't get are the bonuses from the various dialogue choices.

Ok, so they patched the random loot.

Which is terrible. It was effing hard to get artifacts for your builds with all the junk stats floating around. Now? now chest contents are decided before you even see them, and fixed in stone.

I look forward to all the two handed swords, daggers, shields and heavy armor my ranged party is going to find.

Not quite, at least by my observations. If you save/load near a chest, they will always have the same contents, but if you leave the area and come back 5-10 minutes later, the contents have been randomized again. There are some chests that really do have one, permanent set of contents, but others definitely do randomize IF you don't try to save scum them.

What are the Best mages combo spell you can do ?

Honestly, the options there are almost stupidly huge and can easily involve prepping by non-mages. For example, get some telekinesis on your rogue (rings, bracers, skill points, whatever) and have your STR characters lug around a few explodey barrels. When you spot enemies, take the barrels from your big guys, go invisible, telekinese the barrels all around the enemies while invisible. --> Open hostilities with a fireball that blows up all those explosive/oil/poison barrels and covers the battlefield in a field of fire.

Quick question. (Fabulous Five Quest)

I'm at the fight with the sparkmaster 5000 and I have the controller. I've read the book so I know what combinations to enter, but I can't get the controller to work. I'm entering the correct combination (on PS4), but nothing is happening. Anything I'm missing?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Wasn't within range.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good lord. Has anyone done the "Double Dungeon" early quest:

So I have to "hold" an item and then place it back on something to use it? In this case the pedestal? Ok. Then why doesn't it work? Serioulsy why not just take the pendant OUT of my inventory like every other scenario? This is frustrating as fuck.

And it doesn't help that people had a problem with this on the ORIGINAL game as well. Meh.

Bairdotr was locked in a cage in town. Madora was in the bar I think. Wolgraff is in a well outside town. Don't remember Jahan, maybe upstairs in the mayor's house?

Neither Madora or Jahan have Pet Pal, unless that was changed in EE. Not sure about the other two.

Is that well really far away? I'm trying to hold my party at 3 and find him but I am getting creamed by the undead out there. Lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Is that well really far away? I'm trying to hold my party at 3 and find him but I am getting creamed by the undead out there. Lol

Go to the graveyard and dig up the big dirt pile in the middle. There will be level 2 enemies down there and he is at one end of the underground area. At the other end is a trapped room that leads to the General Store.

Maybesew

Should I expect to die often? I just hit level 3, full party of 4 and can't survive any combat outside of town. I take that to mean I should be working on all of these quests in town first, but am not sure

NPCs sure are wordy here. It feels like everyone is giving me their life story.

But it's pretty funny. The voice acting is adding a lot to the charm, and it seems like the voice directors had a lot of freedom to adapt and read lines in slightly different ways than the scripted versions, which shows.

Right now I'm mostly just wandering around town talking to people, but that's plenty of fun on its own. I'm also really enjoying the music for this game. It's really fitting.

Baalzebup

Should I expect to die often? I just hit level 3, full party of 4 and can't survive any combat outside of town. I take that to mean I should be working on all of these quests in town first, but am not sure

At level 3, there is exactly one gate that you can expect to leave from and have a decent chance at winning your fights. Did you check the enemy levels? Before you learn the ropes, anything more than +1 your own levels will murder you.

Burt

I went back to a kb/m today just to see how things are, and while the pad and kb/m both have pros and cons, I think I'm solidly in the controller camp at this point. Not having to struggle for rats on the gamepad honestly tops inventory management with the mouse and keyboard. A-button search is a fucking godsend too. My biggest problem with the gamepad is probably that the UI, inexplicably, shirks the little prongs that group every 4AP on top of your hotbar. Don't know why they do it, and I know it sounds stupid but the ~1 second it takes me to lean forward and distinguish between 7/8/9 AP is a pretty big QOL issue, considering how often it comes up.

I might pick this up in the summer, when I have little in the way of new games to play. Hopefully it'll be quite cheap by then.

I didn't realize it was $60. Not that it isn't worth it, but...I'm cheap.

Corpekata

Banned

You shouldn't be dying against enemies your own level too much on normal. If they are above you, try exploring to find enemies in range. If they are 2 levels above you or higher, it's the game telling you to go elsewhere. The gates outside of town all have different level enemies, and the gate guards will react to your level, if they think you should go out there or not. The first gate you should be exiting is already opened by default.

Though it is possible to hit level 4 just by questing around in town.

You should probably only be dying often early on to traps and blowing yourself up on accident as you learn the ins and outs of the elemental combo system. Sorry Midora, I will not lob fireballs at that poison area you're tanking enemies near next time until you get out of range!

So I have to "hold" an item and then place it back on something to use it? In this case the pedestal? Ok. Then why doesn't it work? Serioulsy why not just take the pendant OUT of my inventory like every other scenario? This is frustrating as fuck.

And it doesn't help that people had a problem with this on the ORIGINAL game as well. Meh.

I just clicked the pedestal and my character put the right item on it right away. Not sure what your problem was.

Oh wow. I love this change.

I'm the type of player who if I CAN save/reload over and over I will so I'd rather not have the option. It's not fun to sit there save scumming even after a battle for 20 minutes and I just can't resist the urge to min/max the loot.

It would be nice to have a checkbox in the difficulty options or something though for those who like it.

After a few tests, I've confirmed you can still save scum, but only like 3times, after that it's locked to whatever you got. It isn't really worth doing early on, but it might be later on for vendors, though I haven't checked if the 3strikes rule works on vendors also, just on chests.

Typical combo would be Boulder Bash/Midnight Oil > Fire, Poison Dart on the ground > Fire. Note the cheapest way to get fire is either throwing some burning object at it(like lamps and torches laying around or you picked up) or using a fire wand, though using an actual fireball does a lot more damage but costs a lot of AP. Poison is stronger than Oil in terms of damage combo since it explodes while oil just burns. Burning enemies take additional damage from Fire, so you can like add Fireball to the combo for more damage. Also 2 warm effects > burn.

On the other side of the spectrum, Rain to create a pool of water > Lightning to electrocute the pool, creating a stunning area for a while. Rain will also put Wet status on everything, increasing air damage and increasing the chance to stun with lightning damage. Using Bitter Cold or other Freeze effects will also increase water damage taken, so you can Bitter Cold > Ice Shards for more damage. Can also freeze pools of water to make them into frozen ground(mobs will get knocked down by falling if they walk on frozen ground). And Blood pools from fighting can be electrocuted or frozen.

More complicated, you can Ice Shards the ground to create a freezing field, then use fire to melt it, then use lightning to charge it with electricity. Also exploding poison ground with fire will generate poison clouds, which can also be charged with electricity to create stunning clouds instead.

There's more stuff, especially defensively, for example using rain extinguishes fires and generate smoke(blocks sight, good against ranged mobs) as well as remove burning from people, you can even freeze your characters to remove burning, or you can use a fire attack to remove freezing.

This update is a little bit of a mixed bag for me.

Wands seem extremely good to the point of surpassing even bows in terms of straight up attack.
Still sometimes the games thinks you need more AP than it should to make an attack. This is a bug that didn't get quashed... annoying.
Sneaking still seems like a terrible option for combat due to the high high high AP cost of just moving into position. And the talent that increases damage from sneak doesn't apply to invisibility for some reason.
They didn't really smooth out the very beginning of the game at all. Fortunately, I personally know what groups of monsters I can engage with and beat early on. But I am aware from personal experience that this design can leave people feel stuck. Granted, I am playing on tactician difficulty, but I am judging from the original release.
And I can't honestly tell with absolute certainty, but it seems like the camera is stuck zoomed in slightly more than previous.
I would have really liked to see a lot more mercs you could hire at low levels. Or better yet, an ability to create and customize your own merc just like in pillars of eternity. I would have really liked the pillars build your own merc option.
While the voice overs are great, that wasn't really a problem before, but the issues with writing remain poor imho. It isn't the tone but often the mere amount of substance to the dialogue.

The positives of the EE do appear to severely outweigh the negatives, so I am definitely happy with it.

Burt

This update is a little bit of a mixed bag for me.

Wands seem extremely good to the point of surpassing even bows in terms of straight up attack.
Still sometimes the games thinks you need more AP than it should to make an attack. This is a bug that didn't get quashed... annoying.
Sneaking still seems like a terrible option for combat due to the high high high AP cost of just moving into position. And the talent that increases damage from sneak doesn't apply to invisibility for some reason.
They didn't really smooth out the very beginning of the game at all. Fortunately, I personally know what groups of monsters I can engage with and beat early on. But I am aware from personal experience that this design can leave people feel stuck. Granted, I am playing on tactician difficulty, but I am judging from the original release.
And I can't honestly tell with absolute certainty, but it seems like the camera is stuck zoomed in slightly more than previous.
I would have really liked to see a lot more mercs you could hire at low levels. Or better yet, an ability to create and customize your own merc just like in pillars of eternity. I would have really liked the pillars build your own merc option.
While the voice overs are great, that wasn't really a problem before, but the issues with writing remain poor imho. It isn't the tone but often the mere amount of substance to the dialogue.

The positives of the EE do appear to severely outweigh the negatives, so I am definitely happy with it.
Yeah, this is about 100% correct. Really looking to respec my backstabber, although that might change considering I just got Bully to go along with Trip. Hard to see it ever outclassing a 2H'er though.

The lack of a completely custom hireling is annoying. They promised custom henchmen to backers and apparently don't want to renege on the exclusivity, which is understandable but also pretty "ehhh". Considering I just hired a mage named "Explodo" and all the fourth-wall breaking they do in the game, you would think that they'd be okay with bending the rules.

Lanrutcon

Early game?

Have someone with Scoundrel 1 turn invisible and walk up to the enemy, drop an explosive barrel or two, then sod off. Have a mage fireball the area.

Late game?

Oath, Meteor, Spores.

Shinjica

Early game?

Have someone with Scoundrel 1 turn invisible and walk up to the enemy, drop an explosive barrel or two, then sod off. Have a mage fireball the area.

Late game?

Oath, Meteor, Spores.

Meteor is nerfed now, you can cast it only one time for fight

shmoglish

You have to use the throw command. Did this quest yesterday and almost fot crazy because I thought you have to hold the item.
Anf yeah, doesn’t make sense. After the tutorial that poped up when I was Holding it, I was so sure I have to do it like that.

Lanrutcon

Meteor is nerfed now, you can cast it only one time for fight

That's fine. The idea is to light the dude up, as well as the ground, while doing damage. The Deadly Spores are where the money is. Deadly Spores causes an explosion if a spore hits a burning target/patch. Each spore explodes seperately. I've done absolutely stupid damage with it in the past. Like, that female orc boss in the later city? 1 round. Whatsherface with her summons? 1 round. Hope the combo still works.

Edit: Guys, did anyone warn the first time players about the hall of secrets? Cause I just remembered how it works and how nobody told me the first time around.

danowat

Banned
For a new player, on console, the learning curve is STEEP!, and I have a few question that aren't explained anywhere in the game (so far), is there a digital manual available anywhere?

Sometimes when examining an enemy it will show you their weaknesses, other times it won't, why is this?.

Wet, apart from damping down fires, and acting as a conductor for electric spells, does it do anything?, I fought (unsuccessfully for a few times) the flamethrower enemy in the dungeon under the graveyard (good luck if you've got no ranged characters!!), and I thought getting him wet (water balloon) would (in some way as he has a burning flamethrower on his back) would affect him, but it didn't appear too.

There are a number of icons that aren't explained, is there a cheat sheet anywhere that explains them?

How do you alter formation on console?

Why do sometimes the health bars change colour from red to blue?

Friendly fire, I assume that anyone (except the caster?) will be affected by AoE spells, and when using ranged combat there is no indication of the potential of friendly fire, you just have to use common sense?

I assume the spiked ring around an enemy means that he is blocking another enemy?, or something else.

I'm sure I've got a ton more questions that would probably be answered if I could find the manual.......

Noaloha

For a new player, on console, the learning curve is STEEP!, and I have a few question that aren't explained anywhere in the game (so far), is there a digital manual available anywhere?

Sometimes when examining an enemy it will show you their weaknesses, other times it won't, why is this?.

Wet, apart from damping down fires, and acting as a conductor for electric spells, does it do anything?, I fought (unsuccessfully for a few times) the flamethrower enemy in the dungeon under the graveyard (good luck if you've got no ranged characters!!), and I thought getting him wet (water balloon) would (in some way as he has a burning flamethrower on his back) would affect him, but it didn't appear too.

There are a number of icons that aren't explained, is there a cheat sheet anywhere that explains them?

Friendly fire, I assume that anyone (except the caster?) will be affected by AoE spells, and when using ranged combat there is no indication of the potential of friendly fire, you just have to use common sense?

I assume the spiked ring around an enemy means that he is blocking another enemy?, or something else.

I'm sure I've got a ton more questions that would probably be answered if I could find the manual.......

Not 100% on this but I have a vague recollection that the 'Wet' status will also increase success chance of 'Freeze' effects and hinders 'Burn' effects (likewise, the 'Warm' status for vice versa I think).

A spiked ring around an enemy indicates that they have the Opportunitist skill and will get a free hit against you if you move out of their melee range.

shmoglish

@danowat

Can't answer your questions by myself, butin the small Manual in the retail edition they mention this link.

http://guide.divinityoriginalsin-enhanced.com

Top Bottom