• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

danowat

Banned
Hm, weird. You should be able to activate the scroll, click on a character's portrait, and a ring should pop up that shows the range in which you can revive them.

Yup, I thought it was weird, I reloaded a save, but I'll have another try tonight.

Type2

I'm actually going to try to play the damn game today! I spent quite some time yesterday just playing with character build ideas in the creator. The only thing I know for sure is that I want to play on casual with one of my classes being a wizardy type. I'll check out that kotaku link that keeps popping up and just try the game already!
I'll probably end up restarting once I get a feel for how it plays but the min maxer in me just kept me at character creation until 2 in the morning.

Dredd97

I'm loving this game but man there is a serious amount of dialog from the npcs :)

reminds me of dragon age origins with the amount of chatting that goes on

Burt

Fucking misclicks are driving me nuts. I try to attack a target, it does an idle animation, miss, then walk into fire. I try to click on something that is on uneven ground and end up walking past it, putting my character is danger. Why can't there be some confirmation?

Another reason I prefer playing with the controller anymore. For a CRPG, the core point-and-click mechanics have really always been pretty mediocre in this game. I mean, you can misclick if an enemy's idle animation leans out of your cursor's way. Can't tell you how many times I've died after a battle when I go to pick something up and walk myself right into fire or poison by mistake.

Besides A-search, the basic combat selection is just a ton sturdier with a controller, and a quick cancel with the B button is a lot more intuitive for canceling unintended movement than whatever the key is with kb/m. Plus, no more accidentally skipping turns by reflexively hitting the spacebar.

Yes. Good that the same character will repeat the same sentence often within a SECOND of each other. Right.

Sounds like someone's life is lacking in cheeses.

Another reason I prefer playing with the controller anymore. For a CRPG, the core point-and-click mechanics have really always been pretty mediocre in this game. I mean, you can misclick if an enemy's idle animation leans out of your cursor's way. Can't tell you how many times I've died after a battle when I go to pick something up and walk myself right into fire or poison by mistake.

Besides A-search, the basic combat selection is just a ton sturdier with a controller, and a quick cancel with the B button is a lot more intuitive for canceling unintended movement than whatever the key is with kb/m. Plus, no more accidentally skipping turns by reflexively hitting the spacebar.

Hmm, may have to try using a controller (more than 5 minutes to see how it works in town) I guess. I figured the inventory is nasty enough with KB/M, but I'll give it a shot and see how it works in combat.

Tried it a little, and it's not bad. It does seem to highlight the excruciatingly slow movement when walking around, though.

Ok, quick question. I'm a pretty experienced CRPG player but I've never played Divinity:OS , beyond a few hours where I didn't really get past the first town. Is it more rewarding to start on the higher Tactician difficulty, or Normal good enough for a first playthrough? Is it one of those deals where you easily outlevel and outplay the AI at high levels, or is the boost in Tactician only appreciable if you've played the game before?

Corpekata

Banned
Most of the Tactician changes I've played so far would be pretty harsh for new players. Enemy compositions change so easy tactics for the vanilla version encounter becomes less viable, and I've even seen enemies use common player tactics, like using the "trade place ability" to dump my mage into range of a melee horde.

Vanilla did get a bit easy but they've done a ton of balance changes so I'd start there.

For controller players, is there a way to zoom out to like an equivalent of a "tactical" view on pc and is there a way to speed up the cursor panning speed?

Xeteh

Is Madora's voice really that annoying? I haven't got her yet but I see quite a few people complain about her.

Yes. They gave her the most stereotypical comedic southern accent and it goes so well with her over-the-top tinfoil hat wearing personality. Its awful.

Fucking misclicks are driving me nuts. I try to attack a target, it does an idle animation, miss, then walk into fire. I try to click on something that is on uneven ground and end up walking past it, putting my character is danger. Why can't there be some confirmation?

Yeah, the amount of times I've wasted AP misclicking is staggering. The one that I wish was that there was some sort of confirmation about stealing stuff outside of Sneak because I've had to reload a few times by accidentally stealing something while trying to click on an NPC.

Burt

For controller players, is there a way to zoom out to like an equivalent of a "tactical" view on pc and is there a way to speed up the cursor panning speed?

Up on the D-pad takes you to a dead-on overhead view, but I don't think you can zoom out any more than what the right stick allows. Not sure if you can boost panning speed. Seems to be the same as the kb/m WASD speed.

Edit: nevermind, it's right there in the 'Game' section of options, "Panning Speed".

Up on the D-pad takes you to a dead-on overhead view, but I don't think you can zoom out any more than what the right stick allows. Not sure if you can boost panning speed. Seems to be the same as the kb/m WASD speed.

Edit: nevermind, it's right there in the 'Game' section of options, "Panning Speed".

Awesome thanks! I think I'll give controller a try this weekend

Is there a consensus on who the most interesting companions are? I'm going through the character creator and I figured I'd best l choose beforehand which companions I'm going to drag along so I know what gaps to cover with my created characters. I'm not necessarily looking for the strongest two, just the two that are the most likeable and/or have the most interesting stories.

I played the original version for a couple of hours but didn't get very far, but I remember thinking Madora was a bit obnoxious, so that leaves Jahan, Bairdotr and Wolgraff. Who do you guys recommend I pick up for my playthrough?

Xeteh

Is there a consensus on who the most interesting companions are? I'm going through the character creator and I figured I'd best l choose beforehand which companions I'm going to drag along so I know what gaps to cover with my created characters. I'm not necessarily looking for the strongest two, just the two that are the most likeable and/or have the most interesting stories.

I played the original version for a couple of hours but didn't get very far, but I remember thinking Madora was a bit obnoxious, so that leaves Jahan, Bairdotr and Wolgraff. Who do you guys recommend I pick up for my playthrough?

I haven't played through very far but in that short time I've come to really dislike Madora and Jahan. I'm actually restarting (again, lost count of how many times this is now) and I'm making my two characters so that I can run with Bairdotr and Wolgraff.

lionpants

Started this last night with the wife on the PS4. It's great so far, even she likes it!

Couple questions that I couldn't really find the answers for online...

- Is there a way to cycle through friendly targets with the controller similar to cycling enemy's with RB, LB? Targeting party members with the left sick is pretty cumbersome.

- Is there anything valuable in boxes or vases? There are so many and it really slows the game down looting all of them because of the fear we will miss some sweet loot. Can we safety just loot chests and ignore vases and boxes?

Dsyndrome

Didn't you use to be able to see what books you've read concerning recipes and such? Trying to remember if I read Adventurer's Guide [X] is cumbersome, and I'm having trouble finding where the book log is, if it exists.

Speaking of books, I remember there being blank skillbooks at the various vendors, but I haven't seen them sell one yet. Changed, or need to be higher level (5)?

Last few questions:

Boxes and vases tend to have garbage loot, but once in a while there's like quest stuff in them so you kinda want to check them, but yeah it's annoying.

No way to know which books you've looted already or not for the recipes, but you don't need the books to do the recipes, so I'd recommend just checking a crafting list. Most of the recipes you find are very basic stuff anyway and of little use. Overall I'd say the only really useful thing to remember is if you have 2 blacksmithing, use all the metal weapons you have on a whetstone wheel(there's one in the hall of heroes, and in every town), it increases their damage a bit(more if you have 5 blacksmith). You can also do similar with metal armor/shields on anvils and leather armor on mobile kitchen(harder to find but there's one where the guards are in cyseal). For the other stuff you actually need items, these are just free.

Blank skillbooks have been removed from the early vendors as far as I can tell, maybe they're in Silverglen but I didn't get there just yet so can't say. Books aren't random anymore though, so it'd only be useful to make books of higher tier than available. You can still do it by combining 2 blank scrolls, but that's hard to do early game due to the lack of essences.

Annubis

Didn't you use to be able to see what books you've read concerning recipes and such? Trying to remember if I read Adventurer's Guide [X] is cumbersome, and I'm having trouble finding where the book log is, if it exists.

I don't think so. I remember having to read every book I found last time too.

Maybesew

1) Get a backpack
2)Put all the keys in the backpack

this can also applied to books/notes and other plot essential items

As soon as I read this I went to do it, and I can't figure out how in the inventory menu to put keys inside of the backpack.

Karak

Last few questions:

Boxes and vases tend to have garbage loot, but once in a while there's like quest stuff in them so you kinda want to check them, but yeah it's annoying.

Wait. Even in our comments we are getting tons of reports of massively awesome and useful items. In fact we even did a video about it. The number of actual usable items in this games boxes and vases is insanely high compared to other titles. Do you mean Junk as in not "the quest dagger of daggering." Or do you consider junk fire-grenades, knockout arrows, and poisons?
To me I would consider junk to be stuff like BD's continual carrot of carroting that bred without regard to human life in those games. Versus mixable grenades and potions. Then again maybe difficulty level makes those less useful.

Miker

Does anybody have tips on how to not suck with the Shadowblade build? And specifically, how to improve dual wielding? I have about a 75% hit chance with 2 points in dual wielding, and I haven't found any "short" weapons that decrease the penalty when in the off hand like in other RPGs. It sounded cool enough in the character creation menu, but now that I've actually wandered out of town, I have no idea how to actually use it properly in combat. Backstabbing only seems possible with a few select weapon types (daggers, etc) and I don't know where to find decent daggers. Ugh.

EDIT: After looking around a bit, it really seems like a pain in the ass to play as a rogue type character. Sneaking, getting into position, then backstabbing seems like a ton of work. Wondering if I should restart. But I've already done all the shit in Cyseal and I'd have to do all of it again :-/

As soon as I read this I went to do it, and I can't figure out how in the inventory menu to put keys inside of the backpack.

I couldn't figure out how to use a backpack on controller, but it's just drag and drop on m/kb. There are a few things that you seemingly cannot do with a controller at all, including toggling helmet visibility.

Lanrutcon

Forest cleared, beach cleared, busy with the cove. Smooth sailing so far. First Source Abomination down on second try.

The new loot system is really really holding my party back atm. I don't think they factored in that 2 of the 4 archetypes are light armor wearing Dex characters. Or that staves are completely useless compared to wands. It's an absolutely shitty feeling killing a hard boss and watching swords and shields drop. Not cool.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
First time player doing co-op with a friend. I'm not a stranger to the genre and I'm having a lot of fun!

I'm playing on tactical mode and just cleared what I consider the "first boss" of the main murder mystery quest. I'm actually not really having a difficult time with an earth/fire mage, a water/air mage, a s&s warrior, and a ranger.

However, I just couldn't get a dagger rogue (my favorite archetype) to work. They're too fragile, offer no cc in the early game, and dualwielding seems awfully weak without 4+ points invested. I had an easier time with a single dagger, but sneaking costing 5 AP felt too impractical to use. (Do points in sneaking decrease this cost?) Backstabbing is great, but they still didn't offer enough to warrant a spot on my tactical mode team. Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just hold off on dagger rogues until the midgame?

Xeilyn

So i just got this game, really fun so far. My two characters are Mage and Ranger, now i just met Jahan and madora but i kinda wanna roll with Bairdotr instead of Jahan. Will i be fine with only one mage if i play in classic mode?

This may have been asked already, but I haven't seen it in the 15 pages I've read.

I really want to find a good Co-op game for my wife and I. Her "gaming" experience consists of mobile games, and Mario cart. She doesn't like shooters, or really any game that requires quick reaction due to the fact that she still hasn't gotten used to using a controller. Would D:OS EE be a good option for us? Or should I keep looking?

Thanks!

Lanrutcon

So i just got this game, really fun so far. My two characters are Mage and Ranger, now i just met Jahan and madora but i kinda wanna roll with Bairdotr instead of Jahan. Will i be fine with only one mage if i play in classic mode?

Totally. Don't stress. Classic is open to a wide variety of parties. It's only the harder difficulties where you have to cover your bases.

Annubis

You can finish the game with no mage at all.
Mages just make the battlefield control aspect easier.

An archer can pretty much do the same as a mage with special arrows and now you can have everyone use grenades too.

In the end, even 2 heavy duty warriors can work simply because they can basque in the damage, outlive it and kill everything.

Forest cleared, beach cleared, busy with the cove. Smooth sailing so far. First Source Abomination down on second try.

The new loot system is really really holding my party back atm. I don't think they factored in that 2 of the 4 archetypes are light armor wearing Dex characters. Or that staves are completely useless compared to wands. It's an absolutely shitty feeling killing a hard boss and watching swords and shields drop. Not cool.

the game is already kinda easy on tactical mode, no need for good loot at all. Just sell them and craft something on your own ;p

Xeilyn

Totally. Don't stress. Classic is open to a wide variety of parties. It's only the harder difficulties where you have to cover your bases.

You can finish the game with no mage at all.
Mages just make the battlefield control aspect easier.

An archer can pretty much do the same as a mage with special arrows and now you can have everyone use grenades too.

In the end, even 2 heavy duty warriors can work simply because they can basque in the damage, outlive it and kill everything.
Thanks alot guys! Then i'll ditch Jahan and go with Bairdotr. I can tell that i will love this game

Llyranor

Does anybody have tips on how to not suck with the Shadowblade build? And specifically, how to improve dual wielding? I have about a 75% hit chance with 2 points in dual wielding, and I haven't found any "short" weapons that decrease the penalty when in the off hand like in other RPGs. It sounded cool enough in the character creation menu, but now that I've actually wandered out of town, I have no idea how to actually use it properly in combat. Backstabbing only seems possible with a few select weapon types (daggers, etc) and I don't know where to find decent daggers. Ugh.

EDIT: After looking around a bit, it really seems like a pain in the ass to play as a rogue type character. Sneaking, getting into position, then backstabbing seems like a ton of work. Wondering if I should restart. But I've already done all the shit in Cyseal and I'd have to do all of it again :-/

However, I just couldn't get a dagger rogue (my favorite archetype) to work. They're too fragile, offer no cc in the early game, and dualwielding seems awfully weak without 4+ points invested. I had an easier time with a single dagger, but sneaking costing 5 AP felt too impractical to use. (Do points in sneaking decrease this cost?) Backstabbing is great, but they still didn't offer enough to warrant a spot on my tactical mode team. Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just hold off on dagger rogues until the midgame?
I was thinking of taking the rogue NPC, but you guys are scaring me!!

Though, if you're having trouble with hitting things, take a point in geomancy and cast Bless all the time (or have your mage cast it).

I was thinking that lightning would help a rogue character too. Extra invisibility and teleport, particularly

lionpants

This may have been asked already, but I haven't seen it in the 15 pages I've read.

I really want to find a good Co-op game for my wife and I. Her "gaming" experience consists of mobile games, and Mario cart. She doesn't like shooters, or really any game that requires quick reaction due to the fact that she still hasn't gotten used to using a controller. Would D:OS EE be a good option for us? Or should I keep looking?

Thanks!
My wife likes it so far. She has fun with games like final fantasy or WoW, so she understands RPG concepts. Since it's turn based there's also more time for teaching. You would just have to have some patience while she learns all the UI elements and which hotkeys do what, etc.

Xeteh

Okay, it isn't just me. I felt like I was doing something wrong because despite picking every painting off the walls and trying to keep up with gear/spells I feel broke and undergeared. Those weapons that Charla sells with the sockets, is there somewhere that explains what you're supposed to upgrade those with?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Thanks!
It's turn-based, so no need for reactions. Does your wife like fantasy settings? Does she like reading lore, talking to NPCs with tons to say, and quirky humor? If so, give it a try. You can always play on easy.

I was thinking of taking the rogue NPC, but you guys are scaring me!!

Though, if you're having trouble with hitting things, take a point in geomancy and cast Bless all the time (or have your mage cast it).

I was thinking that lightning would help a rogue character too. Extra invisibility and teleport, particularly
The problem isn't hitting things, it's that dualwielding takes 5AP per attack initially and it isn't practical to invest that many points to decrease it at the beginning of the game. Also, being so fragile on the frontlines when the first encounter is 5 dudes is pretty intimidating. I'll try again this weekend to see if I can get it to work somehow.

It's turn-based, so no need for reactions. Does your wife like fantasy settings? Does she like reading lore, talking to NPCs with tons to say, and quirky humor? If so, give it a try. You can always play on easy.

The problem isn't hitting things, it's that dualwielding takes 5AP per attack initially and it isn't practical to invest that many points to decrease it at the beginning of the game. Also, being so fragile on the frontlines when the first encounter is 5 dudes is pretty intimidating. I'll try again this weekend to see if I can get it to work somehow.

melee is hard. Melee glass cannon more so. Be prepared to be underpowered in the first part of game.

But i love melee rogue. I found it challenging and fun to make a rogue build work in tactical mode. Gear, skill book, you need all those thing to survive as a melee. And the support from your mages ;p

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
melee is hard. Melee glass cannon more so. Be prepared to be underpowered in the first part of game.

But i love melee rogue. I found it challenging and fun to make a rogue build work in tactical mode. Gear, skill book, you need all those thing to survive as a melee. And the support from your mages ;p
Ya, that's what I gathered in my earlier post. =(

My s&s is often inches from death, and that's with 2 self heals + 1 mage heal, and a spiderbro to help tank.

patapuf

Thanks!

It's turn based, so reaction times aren't an issue.

It's still a fairly hardcore RPG though. Lots of reading and you have to like learning a combat system and experimenting. If she has that patience it's pretty much the best coop RPG around.

Llyranor

Hmm, is a S&S rogue a better idea then?

It's turn based, so reaction times aren't an issue.

It's still a fairly hardcore RPG though. Lots of reading and you have to like learning a combat system and experimenting. If she has that patience it's pretty much the best coop RPG around.
Yeah, hands-down the best coop RPG out there. Combat is so much fun in coop (especially with more spellcasters).

For someone who's familiar with RPGs, I'd recommend this.

Ploid 3.0

There are so many changes I don't know what to do. I wish there was a video or something on the major ability changes. Sneak and guerrilla seem to be pretty expensive to use in combat now. Glass cannon changes, etc.

Also I wish respec came sooner in the game, and I don't know if it will be bad to use when it's available like the old version (spells wiped and some impossible to find again). Contemplating restarting again with different setups since it's like I'm learning the game all over again. I didn't hit a brick wall in Tactician or anything, just that I want to do things differently with points and abilities to make a better synergised group.

(Takes a look at op again)

Ourobolus

Banned
There are so many changes I don't know what to do. I wish there was a video or something on the major ability changes. Sneak and guerrilla seem to be pretty expensive to use in combat now. Glass cannon changes, etc.

Also I wish respec came sooner in the game, and I don't know if it will be bad to use when it's available like the old version (spells wiped and some impossible to find again). Contemplating restarting again with different setups since it's like I'm learning the game all over again. I didn't hit a brick wall in Tactician or anything, just that I want to do things differently with points and abilities to make a better synergised group.

(Takes a look at op again)

At least for the second part, I think all spells/skills are purchasable now. For instance, I can buy whirlwind, and the item where you would normally find it was a skill book of something I already had.

Xeteh

Lol, I feel dumb. I finally get Bairdotr's name. I'm a bit slow.

Me too, I would have restarted less if that was an option.

Played the vanilla version a bit on PC, loved the shot out of it but I stopped when I heard a console version was coming. Downloading on PS4 now...

One question I have- what are some good ways to 'break' the game? I found it hard, and I know the devs didn't worry about balancing too much, and the game is open to exploitation.

Any input on this?

Top Bottom