• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Burt

Anyone know what the item kits that the undead merchant Charla on the orc beach sells are for? I think they're all called 'Adventurer's Axe/Staff/Sword Kit' or something like that, and they seem to have slots on them, but I haven't been able to find anything about them online.

Can you not quickly swap between mouse and pad controls on the PC version? It seems locked in once you load a save.

Think it's locked once you load.

Wait. Even in our comments we are getting tons of reports of massively awesome and useful items. In fact we even did a video about it. The number of actual usable items in this games boxes and vases is insanely high compared to other titles. Do you mean Junk as in not "the quest dagger of daggering." Or do you consider junk fire-grenades, knockout arrows, and poisons?
To me I would consider junk to be stuff like BD's continual carrot of carroting that bred without regard to human life in those games. Versus mixable grenades and potions. Then again maybe difficulty level makes those less useful.

I meant junk as in arrows and stuff yeah. Also food stuff if it's basket of fruits or sacks of grain and what not. There's a lot of these things to click, and half of them have outright nothing while the other half has 1 special arrow/grenade or some shafts or some potatoes. If there weren't notes and stuff sometimes in them for quest related stuff, I probably wouldn't loot them. Granted, I also tend to not use my grenades and I don't have an archer, but since all that stuff is craftable I feel I'd just spam craft the good ones and not rely on super random stuff.

With lucky charm you can proc actual equipement loot on them I think, but I don't have Lucky Charm on my leader, not even the trait point cause I have +1 crafting instead.

The loot overall is decent though, and I feel kinda better than it used to be, I find a lot of daggers and wands which is what I can actually use(although wands see very few upgrade potential since they only seem to roll a couple of stats). Also there's a bunch of new brown/yellow unique items that weren't there before I think, like crab's claw dagger.

At least for the second part, I think all spells/skills are purchasable now. For instance, I can buy whirlwind, and the item where you would normally find it was a skill book of something I already had.

Don't think so, at least not early on. You can buy different spells than before and they're not randomized anymore so you don't have to spam F8 to find the books you want, but there's plenty of spells missing. For example in Man at Arms, Divine Light isn't sold but can be found fairly early(it's a novice skill). Witchcraft's Summon Undead Warrior isn't sold either and iirc it comes super late in the first act, I just crafted it cause I didn't want to bother to wait. So there's still some rare books that you might need to craft or buy from the homestead vendors in endgame. Bunch of stuff missing from the shops in act1 at least, maybe Silverglen will have more. I'm almost there.

As soon as I read this I went to do it, and I can't figure out how in the inventory menu to put keys inside of the backpack.

Messing around more on controller, so if anyone still can't figure this out, you hit X (square on dualshock) to bring up the menu, select "hold", then go to the container and hit A (X on dualshock). You can also "hold" an item, walk up to a chest/crate/barrel, then hit the button to drop it in there.

You can also pick up some chests you find in the world and drop them back at your base to store different items. Like one chest for crafting materials, and another for food items and plants.

Another time saver is putting all your scrolls in a backpack (good for potions too), then setting it on the hotkey bar. So you could select the backpack while in combat to access all your scrolls, while having it only take up a single spot.

Ploid 3.0

For Enhanced Edition is it generally ok to make a warrior or rogue character with a skill that is INT based? Looking at the updated ability list I'm now noticing there's so many abilities for int, and a lot less for STR. I'm thinking my whole party would be fighting over int gear with hardly anyone lusting after STR or Dex stats on gear.

I need to look up how many skill points you can get at the end to plan this all out. Whenever looking up info on EE it's mainly about announcing the console version and changes they made to have it work with controller.

Edit: Nice backpack tips. I put all keys in a backpack my current run because I noticed I had way too many, and with characters automatically sharing items to carry out a task you give them, It felt like a good idea to lump them all together never to worry about them again. The hotbar thing is brilliant.

coopolon

So is the story really better? I played a out half way through original and the story was so...nonexistent. It really killed the game for me, is it better enough now that it's worth revisiting? To be clear I don't need planescape torment, just something with characters.

My wife likes it so far. She has fun with games like final fantasy or WoW, so she understands RPG concepts. Since it's turn based there's also more time for teaching. You would just have to have some patience while she learns all the UI elements and which hotkeys do what, etc.

It's turn-based, so no need for reactions. Does your wife like fantasy settings? Does she like reading lore, talking to NPCs with tons to say, and quirky humor? If so, give it a try. You can always play on easy.

It's turn based, so reaction times aren't an issue.

It's still a fairly hardcore RPG though. Lots of reading and you have to like learning a combat system and experimenting. If she has that patience it's pretty much the best coop RPG around.

Thanks for the feedback! We will probably give it a go.

So is the story really better? I played a out half way through original and the story was so...nonexistent. It really killed the game for me, is it better enough now that it's worth revisiting? To be clear I don't need planescape torment, just something with characters.

It's slightly better, but mostly the changes were made so the story was better explained, and sooner. You learn about a bunch of stuff in the first act instead of doing seemingly random tasks until act2 where the stuff used to start making sense. So far the actual story doesn't seem to have changed, just the presentation and the order of some events. I kinda liked it so I don't really mind.

Ourobolus

Banned
Don't think so, at least not early on. You can buy different spells than before and they're not randomized anymore so you don't have to spam F8 to find the books you want, but there's plenty of spells missing. For example in Man at Arms, Divine Light isn't sold but can be found fairly early(it's a novice skill). Witchcraft's Summon Undead Warrior isn't sold either and iirc it comes super late in the first act, I just crafted it cause I didn't want to bother to wait. So there's still some rare books that you might need to craft or buy from the homestead vendors in endgame. Bunch of stuff missing from the shops in act1 at least, maybe Silverglen will have more. I'm almost there.

That doesn't really matter though. You can't respec until much later anyway, and so far it *appears* that nothing cannot be bought eventually. So if you respec and lose your skills you can probably still get them again.

That doesn't really matter though. You can't respec until much later anyway, and so far it *appears* that nothing cannot be bought eventually. So if you respec and lose your skills you can probably still get them again.

Well there's plenty of early game books not available in shops was my point, so while they might be available later, it doesn't mean you can get them again later on necessarily. Too tired to check today but I guess tomorrow I'll have enough stones to open the first elemental hall so I'll check what kind of selection they have, unless someone who's further ahead wants to chime in.

How do I upgrade these Base Kit weapons? I haven't found anything to explain that yet and I'm currently using one.

From the explanation she gave, it seems you'd get pieces to upgrade in every area after the first one. So in the forest you'd get one, then in the ice area and then in the last area and it'd complete the weapon or something. That's how I assume it works.

J_Viper

So I've got an unopened copy on my desk staring at me, and I'm currently pondering if I should crack it open or take it back to Best Buy.

On one hand, me and my bro need a new local co-op game, and I've always been interested in checking this out since I don't have a gaming rig, and the positive reception here is certainly selling me on it. I also watched a few of those dev diaries from Larian, and holy hell the head of the studio is one charismatic dude.

But on the other hand, this game seems absolutely MASSIVE. With Blops 3, Fallout, TR, Battlefront, and Just Cause 3, which makes me afraid it'll just end up getting buried along with the rest of my backlog.

Should go for it GAF?

Burt

So I've got an unopened copy on my desk staring at me, and I'm currently pondering if I should crack it open or take it back to Best Buy.

On one hand, me and my bro need a new local co-op game, and I've always been interested in checking this out since I don't have a gaming rig, and the positive reception here is certainly selling me on it. I also watched a few of those dev diaries from Larian, and holy hell the head of the studio is one charismatic dude.

But on the other hand, this game seems absolutely MASSIVE. With Blops 3, Fallout, TR, Battlefront, and Just Cause 3, which makes me afraid it'll just end up getting buried along with the rest of my backlog.

Should go for it GAF?

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it's better than all of those games, unless the leap between Just Cause 3 and Just Cause 2 is as big as the one between Just Cause 2 and Just Cause 1.

Burt

Are you from the future?

Yes, and I've come back to tell you all that second sequel to the spinoff of the series with like 14 games, Bethesda RPGs, the Tomb Raider that's imitating the Uncharted that's imitating Tomb Raider, and the 2015 EA shooter that had a huge open beta are all exactly what you expect of them. Couldn't get my hands on Just Cause 3.

But seriously, look at those games... you don't think that you already know exactly what you're going to get out of them?

vocab

Should go for it GAF?

If you want to only play familiar titles, by all means return it. It's a long game, and requires some patience.

bounchfx

Should go for it GAF?

it is a big game, i think it took me 75 hours to do it all co op, with a friend

but it's also a fucking amazing game, and is probably going to be better than all of those. really depends how much of an RPG guy you are though, I guess.

I have a question.

Is it possible to bring my characters into a friends game so that all four characters are our custom made characters, or can I only control his secondary character when we are playing online?

When I get into fights, the combat music plays once, then stops. Is this normal? I played the original for 25 hours, but I don't remember. I can get in a boss fight that takes forever, and it's just silence between sound effects. Kinda sucks.

Is the Failed Experiment quest bugged or what? I was level 5, not sure where a good place to level was, so I just strolled into this cave without having the quest (or the remote) and beat him. It started off by just destroying the NPCs (who also walked right into fire...idiots), one-shot one of my characters, and then it didn't do anything the rest of the fight. Each turn it would just make buzzing sounds. The entire thing is just messed up. I didn't join the Fab Five, but when I talked to the mayor the only option was to say I did join them. Just...I don't....but...I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Sanctuary

Really loving this game, except it has some major issues that should have been fixed with this version.

-Camera is still way too fucking close, and makes travelling pretty much anywhere somewhat annoying.

-Map navigation is terrible. Can't bring up the map and click on an area to look at that area so you can actually move there. Instead, you have to scroll the screen all over the place, trying to find what you were wanting to look at on the map. Sometimes this works, but it's a chore and extremely easy to get disoriented. Namely because the "N" randomly disappears all of the time on the minimap.

-Inventory is a clusterfuck of a mess.

Man-at-Arms low level heal is only "once per combat" ... does that mean I can only use it once per fight or just one per 'round', like I couldn't use it twice in a row.

Once per fight. It's still very useful to have, especially if the Warrior is the one using it on himself.

Man-at-Arms low level heal is only "once per combat" ... does that mean I can only use it once per fight or just one per 'round', like I couldn't use it twice in a row.

Xeteh

How important are Wand and Dual Wield skills for an Inquisitor-type? I have 2 points in Dual Wield for the AP reduction atm.

-Camera is still way too fucking close, and makes travelling pretty much anywhere somewhat annoying.

-Map navigation is terrible. Can't bring up the map and click on an area to look at that area so you can actually move there. Instead, you have to scroll the screen all over the place, trying to find what you were wanting to look at on the map. Sometimes this works, but it's a chore and extremely easy to get disoriented. Namely because the "N" randomly disappears all of the time on the minimap.

Yeah, the camera drives me nuts sometimes especially when you try to target something near the top of the screen in combat and it just tells you invalid target until you pan it up. The amount of times I have clicked on the map to center the camera on that spot forgetting it doesn't work like that is pretty embarrassing.

Sanctuary

Yeah, the camera drives me nuts sometimes especially when you try to target something near the top of the screen in combat and it just tells you invalid target until you pan it up. The amount of times I have clicked on the map to center the camera on that spot forgetting it doesn't work like that is pretty embarrassing.

Lol, not to mention what happens sometimes (not that much, but enough to be annoying) during combat. You try selecting a target to attack, and instead hit the ground beside an enemy and walk right next to it. This is really shitty when a caster with a wand does it. I just had one of my casters walk on top of a burning patch of ground next to a boss and get one-shot.

I had him down to 30% too. :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyone having trouble on xb1 joining friends games? Or finding other players at all? Me and my friend can not connect to each other.

How important are Wand and Dual Wield skills for an Inquisitor-type? I have 2 points in Dual Wield for the AP reduction atm.

If you're dual wielding, you want to max dualwield, no other way about it. You definitely want at least 2 and can leave it like that for a while, but if you're not leveling magics much and relying on wands for damage, you might as well keep going. Wands I'd say leave it until you have 5pt dualwield. While the value of the first point is higher than leveling DW, the 5pt of DW is a 25% damage boost(reduces AP from 4 to 3).

Lanrutcon

So,
Braccus Rex
killed my whole party in one turn. His opening attack is pretty brutal I guess.

Split your party up, have one person pull (like an MMO). Make sure that one person is buffed against whatever element the boss opens with.

Scrolls that summon things can be used to make a wall of cannon fodder to draw enemy attacks.

Split your party up, have one person pull (like an MMO). Make sure that one person is buffed against whatever element the boss opens with.

Scrolls that summon things can be used to make a wall of cannon fodder to draw enemy attacks.

What's annoying about summons is in a lot of boss fights you need to enter the room to trigger a dialogue and then the fight starts, if you summon first they'll be almost out of time by the time the fight starts. But yeah they're extremely useful as cannon fodder in most boss fights. Witchcraft is actually really solid because of it, Summon Undead Warrior+Charm on the opening turn if you have enough starting AP(I think you need 10 which isn't that much), easy fodder everywhere. Then replace the undead warrior with the super undead warrior later on, the big one is quite strong, even has opportunity so makes a much better wall than other pets.

On a slightly related note, I wish the loremaster bonus was shared for examining mobs. One of my chars has 3 lore master so he can see all the detailed stats(or well most, not sure if it's better at 4/5) but it's also my lowest initiative character so I have to do first turn without being able to check for willpower/bodybuilding levels and stuff. It also doesn't seem to list basic immunities like knockdown immunity, might need more loremaster points though.

Oh interesting, I think that's new, Legendary items(pink color) that unlocks a skill when you equip them. Don't remember these, or even that color from the original.

rpcdrag0n

Loving this but, bit stuck.

Cannot get passed Raddagoth to get into Evelyn's - it seems there are two ways; beat him in 3x rock,paper, scissors or fight him (which is proving impossible).

Any help appreciated

Lanrutcon

Cannot get passed Raddagoth to get into Evelyn's - it seems there are two ways; beat him in 3x rock,paper, scissors or fight him (which is proving impossible).

Any help appreciated

Ok, simple stuff. Basic barrel cheese.

Have you been to the pirate cove? There are a ton of oil barrels there. If not, then you're gonna have to scavenge oil barrels somewhere else. Oh, and a poison barrel. Normal str + 1 rank of Telekinesis will allow you pick up barrels. They weight 60, so a normal character can carry 1. Have someone pick it up, then drag it to someone elses inventory. If you have a Packmule or two then you can carry a lot more.

Simply wander up to Raddagoth, save your game, poke him. Now note where everything spawns. Reload. Position all barrels in such a manner that they chain detonate from a single fireball, and affect everything that spawns. You do have fireball, right? You should have found a few scrolls by now, or you can go buy one, or your Pyro should be able to cast it by now if you have one.

Now step back, split your party up, set up your party for combat out of the blast areas, have a lone someone initiate combat (highest initiative you have, preferably). Now pull that person back and drop a fireball on the barrels.

Mop up anything that still's moving. Oh, and he's weak to Air magic. Stun Arrows work great.

Oreiller

Any help appreciated

His summons will disappear a few turns after he dies so try to kill him as fast as possible. He's quite resilient though so it won't be easy.
If he uses an invisibility spell, use an AOE, it should make him appear. Summon stuff if you can so they will draw the ennemies' attention.

Any help appreciated

Did you have to fight him? I did but not sure he was necessary. I didn't barrel cheese it, did it like I do most fight, most important part is having an aoe to get him out of invis, I used fireball, and I used Slow Current+Teleport on the golem to drop him far away, so he basically took 3turns to come back then teleported with my other mage and he just spent the whole fight running. Mop up the skeletons or CC them before you take him out of invis and just spam shocking touch/blitz bolt for stuns basically. He hits kinda hard but spend a lot of time casting useless debuffs so you don't need perma stun, but stunning him every now and then will skip his turns, so he'll have time to get his debuffs back and use them again instead of attacking. Then finish the golem, once it's alone it should be an issue.

BeeDog

Loving this game, but my cRPG skills from before are completely lost. Finding the game somewhat challenging even on the lowest difficulty, especially the final boss in Cyseal.

What named companions do you like the most so far?

Durante

In the original, there was a way to unlock the zoom level and make it practically unlimited, and it was a huge quality of life improvement. I'd check if that is still the case.

Lanrutcon

Loving this game, but my cRPG skills from before are completely lost. Finding the game somewhat challenging even on the lowest difficulty, especially the final boss in Cyseal.

What named companions do you like the most so far?
The mage is a total cynic. Not going to spoil his life story, but he's got a lot of history.

The archer is incredibly naive. Her reaction to a lot of events tells of a very sheltered life.

The two are very much opposites, and it shows in their dialogue. They play off each other very well.

epmode

In the original, there was a way to unlock the zoom level and make it practically unlimited, and it was a huge quality of life improvement. I'd check if that is still the case.

Failing that, it baffles me that Larian still didn't give us a way to click on the map screen and have the camera go there instantly. The Infinity Engine games do this and it's a big help.

Orcastar

Failing that, it baffles me that Larian still didn't give us a way to click on the map screen and have the camera go there instantly. The Infinity Engine games do this and it's a big help.
3D graphics rendered only where you're currently looking vs static 2D environments.

Top Bottom