• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

I have pretty crappy Internet with 0.25mbps upload. Now, I've never noticed Steam save game syncing take a particularly long time. Divinity OS:EE though takes in the region of 6-7mins to sync. Steam lists around 20MB in storage for it which if you do the math, works out about right for the game uploading all 20MB or so each time. Confusingly, I have other games with similar size cloud usage, and they don't take anywhere near as long. I've limited DIvinity to 2 auto and 2 quicksaves. I'm guessing though it's quite possible these are all replaced each session. That doesn't explain though why games like Bioshock Infinite don't give the same problem, I imaging I'm going through a similar number of saves. Any ideas gaf?

ee1c0sui.jpg
some ordinary dagger i crafted.

KiteGr

I've given a few hours on the PS4 edition and there are some problems.

1. Everything is to far away! My eyesight is good, but not perfect. I have a TV that's already considered to big for my room and I'm steel struggling to see some details and text.
Choosing a face for my characters was pointless since I could barely see my character's face both in game AND in character creation (since there is no zoom option).

2. Talking to NPCs covers the whole screen! From footage I've seen of the original PC release, the Camera zooms on the NPC you are talking and the text appears bellow them.
That Doesn't Happen in the Console enhanced edition as the camera stays Zoomed out (even if you had it zoomed in) and most of the center of the screen gets covered by text boxes.
Divinity_OS_Classic.jpg
Divinity_OS_enchanced.jpg

The only connection I have with the NPC's appearance is those tiny portraits.

3. Some existing yet unsolved problems with the original edition.
Like the available character portraits not being enough to cover the various character faces and hairs you can create. The body type for males being that of a Body builder, even with zero investment on body building. The NPCs talking a bit to much, despite the godsent reductions in dialogue. Stealing being way to useful to be ignored. ect...

Krabboss

I can't believe the game doesn't explain the levelling to you! I just put a bunch of points in other stats because I thought I needed to level up more before I could go to 2 :mad:

I just started playing the game again and at some point it definitely says you need more skill points as you level a skill up somewhere during the tutorial. I forget where, though. I'm not sure why they don't tell you it at the Abilities menu, though.

Staf

Man i love this game. They really shouldn't have locked animal dialogue behind a talent because the dialogue with some animals are among the best in the game!

Just talking to a upbeat, super optimistic talking crab. Hilarious!

ChanMan

1. Everything is to far away! My eyesight is good, but not perfect. I have a TV that's already considered to big for my room and I'm steel struggling to see some details and text.
Choosing a face for my characters was pointless since I could barely see my character's face both in game AND in character creation (since there is no zoom option).

2. Talking to NPCs covers the whole screen! From footage I've seen of the original PC release, the Camera zooms on the NPC you are talking and the text appears bellow them.
That Doesn't Happen in the Console enhanced edition as the camera stays Zoomed out (even if you had it zoomed in) and most of the center of the screen gets covered by text boxes.
Divinity_OS_Classic.jpg
Divinity_OS_enchanced.jpg

The only connection I have with the NPC's appearance is those tiny portraits.

3. Some existing yet unsolved problems with the original edition.
Like the available character portraits not being enough to cover the various character faces and hairs you can create. The body type for males being that of a Body builder, even with zero investment on body building. The NPCs talking a bit to much, despite the godsent reductions in dialogue. Stealing being way to useful to be ignored. ect...

I am glad I am not the only one bothered by the text box covering the whole screen. It is very annoying IMO. I guess they didn't want anyone complaining about small text but this isn't how you solve it. At least they could of had an option to change it.

Ooohhh didn't see this mentionned, but it seems respecing doesn't remove your skills anymore. That makes it WAY less annoying to respec I guess.

I also found the wiki doesn't have every spell available listed, or at least found one that wasn't. Blessed Earth, which is the aoe Bless, can be made with a scroll and a book via crafting. Not that useful but I wonder what kind of other spells might be missing.

Oh and while they used to break sometimes, I feel the timeline(for your turns and stuff) and the cooldowns/duration remaining on stuff break pretty much every fight now. I can't tell how long until my buffs/debuffs wear off or when my summons are going to die without counting the turns, and I can't tell how many turns until a specific cooldown is back. Especially annoying since the cooldown reduction from int was massively reduced so you don't get short spells anymore.

It actually stopped me from continuing on, well that and the inventory management. I have a 55 inch tv, but everything is hard to see. Feels like these types of games that originated on PC just don't belong on consoles.

Llyranor

Ooohhh didn't see this mentionned, but it seems respecing doesn't remove your skills anymore. That makes it WAY less annoying to respec I guess.
Ha, good to know! But what happens to skills if you lower your ability points (ie. You have more skills than slots), or if you remove your points from that ability altogether?

skyhaven

Neo Member
I really need to stop using air damage weapons, I'm tired of my Knight being stunned constantly because he's tanking everything and standing in blood.

Aeromancer - Avatar of Storm will fix that. I always toss Avatar of Storm on Madora before sending her into a pool of electricity.

09.jpg

10.jpg

That + Whirlwind is devastating when done right.

Ha, good to know! But what happens to skills if you lower your ability points (ie. You have more skills than slots), or if you remove your points from that ability altogether?

The skills still seem to be usable, they just have a huge AP penalty(or small penalty if you put some points but not as much). Doesn't seem to be a restriction on the amount of abilities so you could kinda cheese it to get 6 novice spells and 4 adept with like 3points or 2master with only 4.

Also they massively nerfed the talent > ability/attribute trade. Seems to be 1:1 for both now. Meaning All skilled up is actually better than the trade, and Bigger and Better is the same.

Man i love this game. They really shouldn't have locked animal dialogue behind a talent because the dialogue with some animals are among the best in the game!

Just talking to a upbeat, super optimistic talking crab. Hilarious!

The animal personalities are perfect. This game has all of the right elements.

They have yet to hit a wrong note with me outside of the small text. That is my only quibble. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I find them amazing and they now have my money any time they want. I find myself barely into this massive game and I am already wanting to hear talk about a sequel.

Ploid 3.0

Aeromancer - Avatar of Storm will fix that. I always toss Avatar of Storm on Madora before sending her into a pool of electricity.

09.jpg

10.jpg

Looking at this gorgeous screen on my phone made me wonder how awesome it would be if I could play DS OS on it, then I remembered remote play. PC might have a solution too. I don't have the ps4 version though.

So i switched back to kbm today, couldnt stand inventory management and crafting (try to get things in the backpacks is a chore) and not being about to change the formation of your group (line, 2x2, etc.) About done with the first area, man I remembered why I loved this game, the combat is so good with things go your way :) Giving Madora geomancy to have an extra spider summon and giving BaoGrll hydromancy for the spare heal was a clutch tip, kinda wished the vendors sold more varied spells though. Guess I'll get more in the next area

So i switched back to kbm today, couldnt stand inventory management and crafting (try to get things in the backpacks is a chore) and not being about to change the formation of your group (line, 2x2, etc.) About done with the first area, man I remembered why I loved this game, the combat is so good with things go your way :) Giving Madora geomancy to have an extra spider summon and giving BaoGrll hydromancy for the spare heal was a clutch tip, kinda wished the vendors sold more varied spells though. Guess I'll get more in the next area

You don't get that many new spells in the new area, like 2-3 per school. A bunch are drop/craft only. You can actually craft a fair amount of spells before you have access to them. Can't craft warrior/rogue/archer stuff though, those you'll have to wait.

My main mage has like 3 full bars of spells already and I haven't bought the 2nd map spells yet. I really wish they modified the UI with that in mind, it's a pain to navigate everything. I've set it up as 4 bars with space for visibility with like damage spells, buff spells, debuffs and control spells and summons and avatar/protection spells but it's annoying having to look at all bars to see what's off cooldown and what not. Meanwhile my warrior and rogue don't even have a full bar.

Xeteh

Sad thing is I know these spells exist but I never think to use them. I get set in my ways and do that until it stops working. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

You don't get that many new spells in the new area, like 2-3 per school. A bunch are drop/craft only. You can actually craft a fair amount of spells before you have access to them. Can't craft warrior/rogue/archer stuff though, those you'll have to wait.

My main mage has like 3 full bars of spells already and I haven't bought the 2nd map spells yet. I really wish they modified the UI with that in mind, it's a pain to navigate everything. I've set it up as 4 bars with space for visibility with like damage spells, buff spells, debuffs and control spells and summons and avatar/protection spells but it's annoying having to look at all bars to see what's off cooldown and what not. Meanwhile my warrior and rogue don't even have a full bar.

O i didnt know you could craft spells, hmm I need to start looking at that more closely

edit: seems like I'm gonna need alot of pixie dust. Any good places to farm that? Or should I be buying from vendors?

The skills still seem to be usable, they just have a huge AP penalty(or small penalty if you put some points but not as much). Doesn't seem to be a restriction on the amount of abilities so you could kinda cheese it to get 6 novice spells and 4 adept with like 3points or 2master with only 4.

Also they massively nerfed the talent > ability/attribute trade. Seems to be 1:1 for both now. Meaning All skilled up is actually better than the trade, and Bigger and Better is the same.

that trade is just silly. 1 talents for 10 points lol what a joke.
also no more stupid skill/attribute book every level from the secret seller.

btw is there really a razor edge skill? or it got deleted?

Xeteh

Does a higher level of crafting/blacksmithing give you better items? Like if I had higher Blacksmithing and I crafted a sword would I get better stats on it than if I just had the minimum required skill?

Lanrutcon

Does a higher level of crafting/blacksmithing give you better items? Like if I had higher Blacksmithing and I crafted a sword would I get better stats on it than if I just had the minimum required skill?

Aye, but for things that have variable stats your character level matters too. So you craft better armor at level 20 than at level 10, for example.

Started up the game this morning after spending some time making characters last night and I'm unable to use edge pan for camera control? Is this in options, or is it disabled? I've looked and I can't seem to find anything about it. I was playing in fake fullscreen, but switching to fullscreen still doesn't allow me to edge pan the camera.

Ourobolus

Banned
Started up the game this morning after spending some time making characters last night and I'm unable to use edge pan for camera control? Is this in options, or is it disabled? I've looked and I can't seem to find anything about it. I was playing in fake fullscreen, but switching to fullscreen still doesn't allow me to edge pan the camera.

Enable it in the "Game" options.

Burt

How do I move the investigation with
Evelyn
forward? I found some notes that implicate
her
on some orcs in the Black Cove, but the log didn't update or anything, and I forget where to go.

was this the key for the big Black gate after the first fight? Iirc there was a key and a secret switch behind one of the pictures in the captains room (after the fight agains this Demon thing). The switch unlocks a hidden entrance in this room. Down there is a cave and a place with lots of traps, switches and a giant skull gate. You need to find the right switch (don't know the english ne, sorry. Some of the switches may hurt you, others unlock treasurs and open the gate). Find the right one and fight the Boss. This should give you the key for the Black gate

I got the Black Gate open, but in the same room there's also a door that goes down to the harbor where I remember you finish the quest for
the singing head.
Can't seem to figure out how to open it.

First area boss does seem easier (on classic) than I remember it being. I like it...challenge is good, but I remember having to cheese it in the original edition, while this time it felt like I just had to use decent strategy and positioning.

I think I'm crafting 4 or 5 with my gear on, seems like I'm missing key materials to craft these books though

You need 5 for the books+scroll combination iirc, rest you can make with less but your lvl of crafting affects what scrolls you can make. If you just buy a scroll on a vendor, that's not relevant.

For Pixie Dust, other than checking the materials vendor(water/air spell vendor in cyseal and witch/scoundrel in silverglen), you can make them, and they're actually very easy. You need moondust or bonedust and combine it with stardust. Now moondust is rare since it's moonstones grinded down with a mortar(all the dusts are btw), but bonedust is basically any bone stuff, so skulls and crap, you should have a ton if you hoard stuff like I do. Then stardust is an herb, you get quite a few from looting them, you can also buy some and they're like 2g, so make sure you grab them. Combine the 2 dusts and you got pixie dusts, then it's pretty easy from there. Also elemental halls vendors sell books and restock every level, so that's a good way to get your common books later on, however this has limited uses I find.

So the Keeper of Secrets doesn't restock the skill point books now, right?

Yeah no restock, so you buy them only once, which is great since restock broke the balance and felt annoying if you wanted to min max since you had to hit it asap and then hit it every level and spend all your early gold into it constantly.

that trade is just silly. 1 talents for 10 points lol what a joke.
also no more stupid skill/attribute book every level from the secret seller.

btw is there really a razor edge skill? or it got deleted?

I assume it's a drop only, somewhere. There's a few of these still it seems. It wasn't on the various vendors I've checked so probably the case. Can't craft it either since it's scoundrel. Elemental Tortoise for warriors looked like the same deal, not sure if archers have one of these too as I don't play one. Mages have a bunch but you can craft them using scrolls you find/craft earlier than you find the books(so for example if you want fire elem before you do the fire area you can still make one or the 2 witchcraft summons which are acquired super late compared to their levels).

Edit: Actually there was this one place in the original where you had to pick one of the 3 physical classes books, like some library thing with puzzles I remember vaguely, I think back then it was Barrage for archer, forgot the other 2, but wouldn't be surprised if that's where it is.

Lanrutcon

Should I be crafting weapons by lvl 10? I'm a lvl 3 crafter but combos I use say I'm insufficient to craft, wonder if it's worth pumping points into now

Put 2 points into crafting, get gear that adds more points to get to 5.

At 5 you can craft tons of useful stuff, and enhance gear.

Looking at this gorgeous screen on my phone made me wonder how awesome it would be if I could play DS OS on it, then I remembered remote play. PC might have a solution too. I don't have the ps4 version though.

If you have an nVidia card capable of shield streaming, you can install Moonlight on your phone (if it's android).

Ploid 3.0

If you have an nVidia card capable of shield streaming, you can install Moonlight on your phone (if it's android).

Thanks, going to try this. Hoping wireless ps4 controller support works for it on my xperia z3v.

Edit: Wow this actually works very well, and all I needed was moonlight, native DS4 works with it. Thanks again, now to get that controller mount.

Xeteh

Stench doesn't seem to do anything. I got it on my Mage and I'm watching enemies ignore my Rogue and Ranger to attack her in melee, so frustrating.

Ploid 3.0

Hey guys how do you work the spark-master in the robot fight?

Hints
After talking to those guys near the start of that cave tunnel, go talk to the guy that turns himself into a cat sometimes. Ask him about his failed experiments.

In case you already did this and want to know which commands are worth using on the remote, and you have the remote manual. I used discharge each time his hands got the spark charge to prevent the one shot aoe.

You can also get 3 of your members to park at the levers in the room to discharge the spark charge by pulling them all before his turn comes up.

I guess that wasn't much of a hint.

Stench doesn't seem to do anything. I got it on my Mage and I'm watching enemies ignore my Rogue and Ranger to attack her in melee, so frustrating.

Sadly there's not much else to get for mage. Though they got all the love with spells and ranged attacking. So I can't be too sad for them.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell? I'm in that cave and opened the door to the harbor but every few steps my whole party gets the burning status out of no where. I killed the exploding undead but it still happens. Usually right next to some oil barrels wiping my party.

Also telekinesis didn't work in the exploding room so I had to waste two resurrect scrolls. Can I get the spell version of it soon?

BeeDog

What the hell? I'm in that cave and opened the door to the harbor but every few steps my whole party gets the burning status out of no where. I killed the exploding undead but it still happens. Usually right next to some oil barrels wiping my party.

Also telekinesis didn't work in the exploding room so I had to waste two resurrect scrolls. Can I get the spell version of it soon?

There is a magic totem in the middle of the pier/harbor that activates the burning status. Get a ranged character and destroy it quickly.

its probably has effect on AI targeting, but will not decide AI targeting on its own.

think about it this way. A mage who hails tons of spells and has incredible low armor and HP stand right in front of AI. Targeting priority 100 for him, and 50 for the stupid rogue and ranger. Now the stench lower it by 20. It is still higher than rogue and ranger's.

You need 5 for the books+scroll combination iirc, rest you can make with less but your lvl of crafting affects what scrolls you can make. If you just buy a scroll on a vendor, that's not relevant.

For Pixie Dust, other than checking the materials vendor(water/air spell vendor in cyseal and witch/scoundrel in silverglen), you can make them, and they're actually very easy. You need moondust or bonedust and combine it with stardust. Now moondust is rare since it's moonstones grinded down with a mortar(all the dusts are btw), but bonedust is basically any bone stuff, so skulls and crap, you should have a ton if you hoard stuff like I do. Then stardust is an herb, you get quite a few from looting them, you can also buy some and they're like 2g, so make sure you grab them. Combine the 2 dusts and you got pixie dusts, then it's pretty easy from there. Also elemental halls vendors sell books and restock every level, so that's a good way to get your common books later on, however this has limited uses I find.

Yeah no restock, so you buy them only once, which is great since restock broke the balance and felt annoying if you wanted to min max since you had to hit it asap and then hit it every level and spend all your early gold into it constantly.

I assume it's a drop only, somewhere. There's a few of these still it seems. It wasn't on the various vendors I've checked so probably the case. Can't craft it either since it's scoundrel. Elemental Tortoise for warriors looked like the same deal, not sure if archers have one of these too as I don't play one. Mages have a bunch but you can craft them using scrolls you find/craft earlier than you find the books(so for example if you want fire elem before you do the fire area you can still make one or the 2 witchcraft summons which are acquired super late compared to their levels).

Edit: Actually there was this one place in the original where you had to pick one of the 3 physical classes books, like some library thing with puzzles I remember vaguely, I think back then it was Barrage for archer, forgot the other 2, but wouldn't be surprised if that's where it is.
sadly no. Its horrific scream ( really? this? the one you can craft?) , Elemental Tortoise and Infect.

Hmm stuff never attacks my mage, but then again they never attack Jahan and I don't have Stench on him. Nothing ever really reaches my mage is more the thing, in large part to the summons. I always have 3-4 summons out, plus my warrior and rogue on the frontline so most of the time the mages don't even take any damage.

Pretty sure it works, but it's not a guaranteed thing. Might be a roll every turn to see if the mob changes target or something of the sort, if you fail the roll it sticks to you so you might feel it's broken at times.

Miker

Battlemage feels kind of meh so far, at least on my character. I'm focusing on STR and INT, so there's not a whole lot of AP to go around. I cast, say, crushing fist, then slowly (slowly) walk towards an enemy and all my AP Is gone. 3 AP just to attack in melee is so much more than it sounds. Are there any good movement-based skills in the man-at-arms tree? I know of battering ram (is it any good?), but are there any others?

sadly no. Its horrific scream ( really? this? the one you can craft?) , Elemental Tortoise and Infect.

Uh, that sounds weird, it'd have fit perfectly there. Infect is the archer disease skill right? And tortoise the war spell, so it'd make sense to have a rogue skill as the 3rd choice. Oh well.

You're further in the game than I am so you'll probably find it before me, I still assume it's gonna be a drop book, assuming it wasn't removed. It does have old damage values on the wiki so it might just not exist anymore.

Battlemage feels kind of meh so far, at least on my character. I'm focusing on STR and INT, so there's not a whole lot of AP to go around. I cast, say, crushing fist, then slowly (slowly) walk towards an enemy and all my AP Is gone. 3 AP just to attack in melee is so much more than it sounds. Are there any good movement-based skills in the man-at-arms tree? I know of battering ram (is it any good?), but are there any others?

Battering Ram is the only one, it's good as it moves pretty far and knockdowns everything in your path, but you can only move in a straight line so objects blocking you force you to go around before using it. Air magic has some stuff, Teleport is too expensive to use if you're short on AP but there's a thunder jump thing which I have no idea how it works since I never want my mages to jump into stuff.

Hybrids tend to be kinda bad early on. And later on. I don't think it works very well other than having like 7int to cast a few novice spells with a decent chance. Later on you can compensate with gear somewhat, but in general you're losing main stat or speed for those additional stats so it's always a trade off. There's some good novice spells you can use with low int, but you're never going to be both a good caster and a good melee. Speed is too important and you don't get nearly enough stat points.

Xeteh

So I'm sad that I didn't craft much earlier, I've been missing out.

I also found I could craft plate chest pieces from metal scraps that I got around 12 of in one area in the game, so I can either hold on to them to upgrade my armor for a while or craft and sell chest pieces.

Oh the trade for attributes is even worse than it says. While it says he'll trade 1ability for 1 attribute(which is pretty solid since you can take All skilled up and get 2, so it would be like the old trade, at least one time), he actually trades you three ability points for that one attribute. The talent > attribute is 1:1 as the text implies. Makes the whole thing fairly useless unless you have lone wolf on a non mage class, in which case you can convert some of those useless ability points into useful attributes.

Top Bottom