• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Xeteh

So I mistakenly killed the witchcraft/scoundrel book vendor. Will i find another vendor later in the game?

edit: second question, where can i find a furnance to use my ore?

Yeah, there are other vendors and there is a furnace behind the abandoned house in Cyseal.

Sanctuary

ranged precision stance. +30% chance to hit. If you still can not get 90%+ chance to hit after that, than probably putting a few points into perception would be best... Help with traps too.
Farseer is more for combining with power stance.

Total "duh" moment. I actually skipped picking up the stances, because I didn't like how they performed early on, and this was before knowing about Farseer (started over around level 6). In hindsight, yeah. Hyperopia is a bad talent. I do have 8 perception though, +10 for traps, and an additional +2 if I need it from Burn My Eyes. I thought Dexterity was to hit though and Perception was for crit?

Still didn't get what you want? Ok then. Head north from Silverglen, Shadow Walk passed the blockade. go through the desert. Enter the forest and head east. There's a river blocking your way to the next town. Normally you'd have to do..stuff...to get to the town. Why bother? have the rest of your party pyramid to where your Shadow Walker is, and teleport (or jump or netherswap or pass) him/her across the river. The developers tried to block this, but missed several spots. Check that town for your spell.

Still didn't get what you want? Well, since you're all the way on the east end of the map, why not use a bridge to go to the next map? From there just head south till you reach the next town. Check for your spell there.

Still didn't get your spell? Buy Craft 2, wear gear to get it to 5, save scum scroll crafting till you get it, craft the scroll into a book.

I'm actually at the desert section now, and it was easy enough to get past the blockade
without a fight.
Didn't really want to exploit my way through areas on a first playthrough, but I have been save scumming scroll attempts and still it's been coming up empty, other than to see what I can get at level 15.

Alucrid

Banned
I put in a couple hours of the original game, i'm assuming there's no reason to not go with the EE if i'm going to play this game?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
The possibilities during combat in this game are something else. We had to throw a freezing grenade to prevent ourself from getting killed, but unfortunately my mage got frozen aswell because the grenade slightly missed. The two frozen dogs next to me explode and do massive damage when killed. Since we didn't have any spells etc. to warm my mage up, I thought about what else could unfreeze me. Then I remembered the annoying comments of the player characters every time we ran by the campfire in Cyseal and ta-dah... mobile kitchen to the rescue!

373420_2015-11-03_000x6jmq.png

Bunch of those spells are really easy to get if you just unlock the right elemental hall though. Like if you know you're going fire, unlock that first, and you get infectious flame and meteor easily and pretty early. By the time you've done the trial thing, you should have 3 halls open, so you should have most of the masters done, and it doesn't take long to get the last one(or you have it by the trial if you've done hiberheim first).

Sanctuary

I've yet to see a Meteor scroll, so I'm kind of in the same boat.

LOL, don't hate me, but after pondering trying to skip to the next town, I decided to enter the
Immaculate Trials Cave
and the second vase I looted just now was that spell!

Bunch of those spells are really easy to get if you just unlock the right elemental hall though. Like if you know you're going fire, unlock that first, and you get infectious flame and meteor easily and pretty early. By the time you've done the trial thing, you should have 3 halls open, so you should have most of the masters done, and it doesn't take long to get the last one(or you have it by the trial if you've done hiberheim first).

I've only had three bloodstones so far, and I didn't actually know that you had to use them on a room to unlock it. I thought the rooms just opened automatically each time you picked up a new stone. Ending up with an empty stone after visiting the end of time the first time makes sense now. It also means I'm set back a stone since I used one for a quest.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, did the console versions turn out OK?
I kickstarted the original way back, and have since picked up the EE on PS4, but I haven't yet had a chance to jump in.

Baalzebup

Total "duh" moment. I actually skipped picking up the stances, because I didn't like how they performed early on, and this was before knowing about Farseer (started over around level 6). In hindsight, yeah. Hyperopia is a bad talent. I do have 8 perception though, +10 for traps, and an additional +2 if I need it from Burn My Eyes. I thought Dexterity was to hit though and Perception was for crit?

Perception is a major modifier in determining the penalty your get to the hit chances from range. Higher perception = lower range penalties.

I've only had three bloodstones so far, and I didn't actually know that you had to use them on a room to unlock it. I thought the rooms just opened automatically each time you picked up a new stone.

This is only true for Star Stones. The Bloodstones are
kind of a corrupted forms of the Star Stone that is purified when it is used and then your chaps absorb the power of the stone right after it is purified.
. So you need to use them before they are counted. They are a very powerful healing consumable so there is a bit of a balancing act going with them. (Do you use them right away to open more rooms or save them when you really need that heal-all effect)
So I guess using them already wasn't a problem. I just took a trip back to the end of time and spoke to the previously inactive statue that controls the elements too. They give a lot of experience too, so from a first time perspective, it seems better to use them as you get them.

There are two quests, one very early into the second major area, that requires a Bloodstone. The latter one basically gives you one for a bit of busywork, but for that first one you have to come by it by whatever means. I always kept one in reserve, and used any extras beyond that, so I was set for it. I can't even remember how far it is in the second area before you get one if you don't already have one.

Sanctuary

This is only true for Star Stones. The Bloodstones are
kind of a corrupted forms of the Star Stone that is purified when it is used and then your chaps absorb the power of the stone right after it is purified.
. So you need to use them before they are counted. They are a very powerful healing consumable so there is a bit of a balancing act going with them. (Do you use them right away to open more rooms or save them when you really need that heal-all effect)

So I guess using them already wasn't a problem. I just took a trip back to the end of time and spoke to the previously inactive statue that controls the elements too. They give a lot of experience too, so from a first time perspective, it seems better to use them as you get them.

edit: Behold, the spells I needed in the Air Elemental room!

Viruz

The game is great to me, but I need some guidance please...
I have a ton=1000kg (almost) of rotten fish and other things in my bag. It stinks.
Now I have to stealth(?) in the murder house? How?
Thanks.

I've only had three bloodstones so far, and I didn't actually know that you had to use them on a room to unlock it. I thought the rooms just opened automatically each time you picked up a new stone. Ending up with an empty stone after visiting the end of time the first time makes sense now. It also means I'm set back a stone since I used one for a quest.

You're never set back, the stones you use in quests will still open a room, because
you never actually use star stones, you use the bloodstone part, then they become a star stone, then you absorb them. I assume the quest you mean is the Alfie one and you do get credit.

Thing is the trial has 3 stones in a row, so it increases the counter really quick. If you do all the cyseal stuff+trial, you only need one more stone to have all 4 elemental halls, and that's like at lvl 12-13. It takes longer if you clear all of the forest and hiberheim stuff before you do the trial though.

Baalzebup

The possibilities during combat in this game are something else. We had to throw a freezing grenade to prevent ourself from getting killed, but unfortunately my mage got frozen aswell because the grenade slightly missed. The two frozen dogs next to me explode and do massive damage when killed. Since we didn't have any spells etc. to warm my mage up, I thought about what else could unfreeze me. Then I remembered the annoying comments of the player characters every time we ran by the campfire in Cyseal and ta-dah... mobile kitchen to the rescue!

And this is why I absolutely love the combat, physics and weather etc system in this game. Whatever crackpot idea you come up with has a decent chance of actually working.

Neoweee

Is there a way to turn of AI personality after I've started the game? It's been a giant mistake, and I'm sick of failing quests or having to reload because I lost RNG fests.

Eusis

Is there a way to turn of AI personality after I've started the game? It's been a giant mistake, and I'm sick of failing quests or having to reload because I lost RNG fests.
There's an option for cooperative dialogues or something in the options. I turned them off when I tried to recruit Madora and got my companion shooting her mouth off with no chance to override and keeping me from recruiting Madora. Just isn't worth it when it's the AI being a psycho player 2 who just wants to be an obstinate jackass.

Neoweee

There's an option for cooperative dialogues or something in the options. I turned them off when I tried to recruit Madora and got my companion shooting her mouth off with no chance to override and keeping me from recruiting Madora. Just isn't worth it when it's the AI being a psycho player 2 who just wants to be an obstinate jackass.

Ah, Duel Dialogs On/Off. One of the worst, non-descript-but-important options I've seen in my life.

epmode

Is there any way to disable the text that appears whenever an NPC talks? It's distracting. The subtitle setting has no effect and disabling banter in the combat log only prevents the text from appearing in the combat log.

Also, does it seem like the NPC chatter frequency is REALLY HIGH? Like, original-release-high? The Cyseal market is ridiculous.

Ploid 3.0

For some reason particular NPCs want to kill one of my characters. I came back from exploring and decide to check the vendors for stuff and he Scoundrel/witchcraft floor all seem to hate the character now. I have no clue why other than maybe my warping around town may have triggered some glitch.

Crap I don't want to go deep into my save history having to undo a lot of awesome loot, and long fights I just did. I tried letting the NPC's kill that particular character but they still want to kill him after. Bah!

Edit: I can't even fight them back. :\ (correction, I can fight back. It's just that I wasn't paying attention to the CC and melting down of my HP by a swarm of 4 bees/npcs).

Lanrutcon

For some reason particular NPCs want to kill one of my characters. I came back from exploring and decide to check the vendors for stuff and he Scoundrel/witchcraft floor all seem to hate the character now. I have no clue why other than maybe my warping around town may have triggered some glitch.

Crap I don't want to go deep into my save history having to undo a lot of awesome loot, and long fights I just did. I tried letting the NPC's kill that particular character but they still want to kill him after. Bah!

What did you do to your reputation? Remember that reputation is tracked per character. That's the only thing I can think of that would make them want to kill one specific character.

Eusis

Ah, Duel Dialogs On/Off. One of the worst, non-descript-but-important options I've seen in my life.
I think it's kind of fun to try to banter with them, but it really isn't worth it when it actively shuts down recruiting a character as absolutely as it can. Kinda miss the crazy multiple personality angle though where you can RP by yourself the characters arguing.

Ploid 3.0

What did you do to your reputation? Remember that reputation is tracked per character. That's the only thing I can think of that would make them want to kill one specific character.

I don't know. I'm thinking I may have ported the party to another character with the pyramids while the vendor barter, high chr character was in the buy sell menu. The upstairs bodyguard dude initiates the fight since hid vision hit's me first. The reason I'm thinking it's a port thing it's the only way I could have left them without noticing they were angry with me. I wasn't stealing from them, or pick pocketing.

I guess I'll be making my craft character my barter character now as well. Though he has the stench trait. Thankfully it's only that upper floor.

Edit: Looks like I may have found out why. I killed a NPC that I thought was a enemy (close to starter city near Orcs)
Charla
. I guess the fact that the character got the killing blow marked him with a "you killed someone I looked up to" mark on him? Odd weapons loot anyway. Before finding out this was a npc I suspected the fact that I had those weapons in my inventory caused it, but moving them to another character did nothing. Going over to keep this NPC alive at the least, and now I won't be marked.

skyhaven

Neo Member
I'm pretty annoyed with the lack of novice skill slots increments. Madora is stuck at 6 Novice skill slot even if I upgraded her Man at Arms skill to 4. I recall last time we have infinite skill slot upon reaching skill mastery 5 - is this still true?

Baalzebup

Daggers no longer hit twice per action... god is cruel.

I though so too... and then I invested some points in Dual wield and reached blacksmith 5. Getting 2 daggers with +1 speed makes for a good livin'. And just imagine the monster you get when you dual wield some of the really monstrous end-game crafted weapons. Total of +4 str, dex, speed is nothing to sneeze at.

Sanctuary

I though so too... and then I invested some points in Dual wield and reached blacksmith 5. Getting 2 daggers with +1 speed makes for a good livin'. And just imagine the monster you get when you dual wield some of the really monstrous end-game crafted weapons. Total of +4 str, dex, speed is nothing to sneeze at.

I never played before EE, but if daggers hit twice per attack before, the dual wield talent just seems like they took a default mechanic, and hid it behind a skill dump. I was wanting to play a Rogue on my next playthrough, but I've read conflicting things about them.

With stealth being stuck at 5AP per use now, you can't really use it in combat to get around. Without Featherfall (which I haven't even found or crafted yet, and I'm level 16) or Cloak and Dagger and Fast Track, they spend all of their AP just to get into position.

Are you supposed to Walk in Shadows before the rest of your group engages, and then have them initiate once you're in position? If so, it sounds tedious.

shmoglish

Phew... level 14 now, yesterday I met some friendly
Dead Knights in the mine
. First time I used sneaking. Can someone sy how much is left in the mainquest?
I left the mines after the meeting with leandra and the Dead Knights.

I never played before EE, but if daggers hit twice per attack before, the dual wield talent just seems like they took a default mechanic, and hid it behind a skill dump. I was wanting to play a Rogue on my next playthrough, but I've read conflicting things about them.

With stealth being stuck at 5AP per use now, you can't really use it in combat to get around. Without Featherfall (which I haven't even found or crafted yet, and I'm level 16) or Cloak and Dagger and Fast Track, they spend all of their AP just to get into position.

Are you supposed to Walk in Shadows before the rest of your group engages, and then have them initiate once you're in position? If so, it sounds tedious.

no. rouge just walk up to them using 3-4 AP and then proceeds to melt everything. dagger was poormans two-handed in the original, no longer the case in EE.

skyhaven

Neo Member

IMO that's the biggest downside of rogues: they have to be in melee range to do most things, but you have to understand that their debuff is way more potent and frequent (low AP) than warriors. Blind, Knockdown and Stuns combined with dual 100% hit backstabbing a disabled target contributes to greater single damage output than warrior at low to mid level. If you want to play ranged, I guess Rogue can whip out the bow and spam special arrows, but then you'd be a Ranger. Hahah.

I actually like the idea of dual wielding rogue BEFORE the dual wands come into play. Right now, my dual wand Wizard can execute a 17 m Freeze, 17 m Charm, 17 m Stun and 17 m Blind. Yes, Wizards consume more AP in doing so from range, but it'd be silly to dismiss Wizards as 'slow'. If you don't build a slow wizard, his CC potential is way better than rogues at max range very far away from harm.

Let's just say if I take Glass Cannon talent, I rather be 17 m away than be 2 m from the target

Burt

Dead Knights in the mine

~40%. But, that is a hard thing to pinpoint in this game, considering how out of order you can do things.

I literally moved on to the next zone before I found the wizard's secret lair and Hiberheim in my first playthrough, for example.

vocab

How do you add stats to your weapon?

Crafting/blacksmithing. When you craft a weapon you can get stats on your weapon based on how high your blacksmithing is. Some items combined with your weapons will add a stat or elemental damage to it.

Dead Knights in the mine

Did you do
Hiberheim
? If you did more or less half way. If not, you got a bunch to go.
Hiberheim is meaty as hell

I put in a couple hours of the original game, i'm assuming there's no reason to not go with the EE if i'm going to play this game?

Play EE. There is zero reason to play the original. EE is much more optimized and polished.

Nyx

Hmmm, I think I'm stuck. (early game spoilers)

I've been clearing stuff west of Cyseal, cleared the Lighthouse of the Ghoul and other mobs, killed all the Fire Elementals at the burned ground, killed all zombies at a grave with a trapdoor but when I go inside that there's 4 pillars with the 4 elements on them but nothing happens when I use them in the correct order.

Thought maybe I had to do other stuff first but south of Cyseal (near the secret cave) there's a ''minefield'' which kills me everytime.

What do I need to do now? I can't reach Evelyn's cave I think cause I need to go all the way up north and the trapdoor room with pillars leads to nothing?

shmoglish

~40%. But, that is a hard thing to pinpoint in this game, considering how out of order you can do things.

I literally moved on to the next zone before I found the wizard's secret lair and Hiberheim in my first playthrough, for example.

Did you do
Hiberheim
? If you did more or less half way. If not, you got a bunch to go.
Hiberheim is meaty as hell

Thank you.

I was in Hibernheim before, but I have to do a few sidequests in the Second "Chapter". And I still don`t know how to enter the Trollcave and the last time I was in the desert I almost made no damage.

I've been clearing stuff west of Cyseal, cleared the Lighthouse of the Ghoul and other mobs, killed all the Fire Elementals at the burned ground, killed all zombies at a grave with a trapdoor but when I go inside that there's 4 pillars with the 4 elements on them but nothing happens when I use them in the correct order.

Thought maybe I had to do other stuff first but south of Cyseal (near the secret cave) there's a ''minefield'' which kills me everytime.

What do I need to do now? I can't reach Evelyn's cave I think cause I need to go all the way up north and the trapdoor room with pillars leads to nothing?
In my spoiler is the way to solve the puzzle

There are to caves with 4 pillars, I think the second is in the west near the entrance you found already. You have to use the mentioned order of the first cave in the second cave, and the order mentioned in the second cave in the first.But iirc this has nothing to do with the mainquest. Do it for exp and loot.

Shinjica

Crafting/blacksmithing. When you craft a weapon you can get stats on your weapon based on how high your blacksmithing is. Some items combined with your weapons will add a stat or elemental damage to it..

we know what item add combined add stats (INT, STR etc) to weapon/armor/rings?

vocab

Go north, you missed a tunnel where you're supposed to go. South is the
black cove
. You can use spells to set off mines too.
Also, the riddle you are talking about requires you to take a party of two to go to the other entrance close by. The correct order is only for one part of the puzzle.

Nyx

Thanks guys!

Oh and in this tempo this game is steadily becoming my GOTY, can't thank Larian games enough for bringing this to consoles and making it work with a controller!

we know what item add combined add stats (INT, STR etc) to weapon/armor/rings?

There's 2 different systems. I'll put this in spoilers in case people don't want to read about crafting mechanics, note that all this can easily be found on the various crafting lists on the wikis, I'll link one again: http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Crafting_(Divinity:_Original_Sin)
First is when you craft an item, it can have stats if your blacksmith/crafting is high enough, however the stats possible are dependant on the item. For example daggers can get 4 results if you have 5 blacksmith: +dex, +speed, +lucky charm or +damage. Meanwhile, swords are only +dmg or +1 max AP, you can never get stats, though 2H swords can roll +str on them. The +dmg roll is also a trap, because you cannot further upgrade the damage with a whetstone on a +dmg roll weapon, but you can on the others. The difference is like 5% less damage, but you get the additional stat which makes them better.

Because of the set stats you can roll, overall daggers are by far the best weapons to craft, melee wise, because the stats they can generate are really good(+2speed is +1turn AP, which is obviously godlike, and since you can dualwield, that's +2AP per turn for "free").

Also at lvl 15+, you get more stats, though I forgot the values.

The second system, is the upgrade system. Once you have an item, you can upgrade it by adding various stuff to it. For example adding an elemental essence to it will add that damage type. Adding a Tenebrium ingot adds Tenebrium damage to it. Adding a tormented soul adds stats(str/dex) to it however iirc it doesn't stack so you can like make a 2H sword with str then add a tormented soul for str, but it's been a while so maybe you can. Note that you can't add everything to a single weapon, there's limitations of like 1 per type of upgrade(so can't have all elements on a weapon), and if I remember correctly using a whetstone will also prevent you from adding Tenebrium to it.

Bows have their own upgrades, where you add a Sextant for perception and a bowstring for +dmg.

I don't think wands have any upgrades possible, though crafting them with 5crafting should probably result in +int like staves, making them better than the stuff you find in general.

Lanrutcon

Example:

Take bow, add bowstring, add tenebrium ingot, add sextant, add tormented soul.

When done at the proper levels, will add:
- Straight damage increase
- Additional tenebrium damage
- 2 Perception
- 2 Strength
- 2 Dexterity

Shinjica

There's 2 different systems. I'll put this in spoilers in case people don't want to read about crafting mechanics, note that all this can easily be found on the various crafting lists on the wikis, I'll link one again: http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Crafting_(Divinity:_Original_Sin)
First is when you craft an item, it can have stats if your blacksmith/crafting is high enough, however the stats possible are dependant on the item. For example daggers can get 4 results if you have 5 blacksmith: +dex, +speed, +lucky charm or +damage. Meanwhile, swords are only +dmg or +1 max AP, you can never get stats, though 2H swords can roll +str on them. The +dmg roll is also a trap, because you cannot further upgrade the damage with a whetstone on a +dmg roll weapon, but you can on the others. The difference is like 5% less damage, but you get the additional stat which makes them better.

Because of the set stats you can roll, overall daggers are by far the best weapons to craft, melee wise, because the stats they can generate are really good(+2speed is +1turn AP, which is obviously godlike, and since you can dualwield, that's +2AP per turn for "free").

Also at lvl 15+, you get more stats, though I forgot the values.

The second system, is the upgrade system. Once you have an item, you can upgrade it by adding various stuff to it. For example adding an elemental essence to it will add that damage type. Adding a Tenebrium ingot adds Tenebrium damage to it. Adding a tormented soul adds stats(str/dex) to it however iirc it doesn't stack so you can like make a 2H sword with str then add a tormented soul for str, but it's been a while so maybe you can. Note that you can't add everything to a single weapon, there's limitations of like 1 per type of upgrade(so can't have all elements on a weapon), and if I remember correctly using a whetstone will also prevent you from adding Tenebrium to it.

Bows have their own upgrades, where you add a Sextant for perception and a bowstring for +dmg.

I don't think wands have any upgrades possible, though crafting them with 5crafting should probably result in +int like staves, making them better than the stuff you find in general.

Thanks for the info, still, there is an item (like torment soul for STR) that add more INT to staves?

Top Bottom