• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

I-hate-u

Huge DMC fan here. I have been putting of playing this game but I always knew that Iwould have to play it someday. I went on youtube and looked at a couple of cutscenes and I was extremely dissapointed in what I felt as the bastardization of Dante and Vergil.

So, to all who finished it, is this game worth 60 dollars and is it a good DMC game for hardcore fans of the story and the gameplay like myself?

Dahbomb

I think the game is a good deal on the PC not so much on consoles. I would wait for price drop on consoles but get it now on PC as you can get it for under 30 bucks in some places. Game is fun, looks good and has some depth/replayability to it. Story is not all that cracked up to be but the game play is good enough for most people.

Dibbz

Huge DMC fan here. I have been putting of playing this game but I always knew that Iwould have to play it someday. I went on youtube and looked at a couple of cutscenes and I was extremely dissapointed in what I felt as the bastardization of Dante and Vergil.

So, to all who finished it, is this game worth 60 dollars and is it a good DMC game for hardcore fans of the story and the gameplay like myself?

yes

I imagine it would get much, much cheaper very soon, so I would wait for a better price if you don't need it this month (week?).

It's not really DmC's problem, it's GAF's. Like Korrz pointed out the DMC4 thread has about the same amount of posts as this one and this has only been out a month.

Truth be told, it's nobody's problem. There's a market for intrinsic frame-precise games like DMC4, and for higher level creative action games like DmC. There's nothing wrong with either and one isn't inherently better than the other, despite what some people would like you to believe.

Gbraga

If you're saying 60 dollars I assume you can't run it on PC? The difference is huge. If you really have to go with consoles, stay away from the PS3.

That being said, no, I don't think it's worth 60 bucks, specially if you're a fan of the story. I never really cared about the old series' story, but this one is REALLY bad. So poorly written. It tries to be a social commentary/satire story as well as dig into the new lore and it fails in both ways. DMC3's story is way better. I really disagree with people saying "well the story is shit but it's better than before", at least they didn't think they were really smart for using they live for a completely pointless social commentary.

The gameplay is where it's at, and it's pretty good, the best combat in a western game along with Darksiders II, but the boss fights are shit and there are some anti replay stuff that will probably annoy the hell out of you.

I still think the game is worth playing and I recommend it, but I preordered it for $30, so it's pretty hard to say if it's worth $60. I'd say wait for a better price, but the game is good, don't take it as "game sux buy it cheap lol"

I think the game is a good deal on the PC not so much on consoles. I would wait for price drop on consoles but get it now on PC as you can get it for under 30 bucks in some places. Game is fun, looks good and has some depth/replayability to it. Story is not all that cracked up to be but the game play is good enough for most people.

Does it look as good on consoles? Because it's just fantastic on PC, every single time I play it I get blown away by the visuals, so, soooo good. And it runs so well that I can max it out and play downsampled from 3200x1800 and always keep 60fps. It's honestly one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Wasn't really impressed by the PS3 demo though, but it was probably because of the horrible performance.

Dahbomb

Game has better lighting textures on PC with some added flair plus better resolution. Really though its the framerate that's the difference.

KevinCow

Banned
I decided to give Bayonetta another try, and I'm hating it less than last time.

But I don't understand how people can complain that this game has too many cutscenes interrupting the action and killing the replay value, and then in the same breath say that Bayonetta is completely perfect and the best game ever. Because Bayonetta has the exact same issue, made even worse by the fact that it takes five inputs to skip its cutscenes (start, down, A, left, A), whereas in DmC you can just mash select. And Bayonetta also has the frequent issue of enemies attacking you immediately out of cutscenes. Not to mention the instakill QTEs when you least expect them.

Dahbomb

So what's the chance of DmC:SE??

All DLC costumes, Downfall, Bloody Palace, Turbo mode, better balance tweaks?

Kevincow: I don't think Bayonetta is a perfect action game and what you described are some of my problems with it (cutscene skip is mapped to a different short hand command by the way). Its a 9/10 game for me, still superior to DmC because it has genre defining mechanics. DmCs cutscenes and story at least pass the basic requirements of such a criteria whereas Bayonetta is just a general clusterfuck in that regard.

Gbraga

But I don't understand how people can complain that this game has too many cutscenes interrupting the action and killing the replay value, and then in the same breath say that Bayonetta is completely perfect and the best game ever. Because Bayonetta has the exact same issue, made even worse by the fact that it takes five inputs to skip its cutscenes (start, down, A, left, A), whereas in DmC you can just mash select. And Bayonetta also has the frequent issue of enemies attacking you immediately out of cutscenes. Not to mention the instakill QTEs when you least expect them.

Good luck mashing select during unskippable cutscenes. I tried, it's not fun.

RT+select skips cutscenes in Bayonetta. It's way less obnoxious than DmC's mid-action cutscenes because they're all built to be instantly skippable (except QTEs which are a major detractor from the game). The enemies attacking you out of cutscenes is super intentional and occurs every single time an enemy is introduced for the first time and nowhere else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't think anyone says bayonetta is perfect, it just is good enough in the main areas to combat the shitty stuff while DmC doesn't benefit as much from that. I'm sure I complained about the enemy attacks out of cutscenes in the OT back when it came out because that shit was irritating, and the QTE implementation is awful and I recall being frequently panned on. There is a shortcut to skip in bayonetta(forget it) and there's no load. DmC has a lot of integrated scenes that aren't skippable at all.

The other complaint about Bayonetta people have been throwing around in retrospective is "hundreds of combos i cant possibly remember". There are like 10 dial-a-combos that you have to remember, some minor forks of those, and a few minor changes from weapon to weapon. If you put your mind to it you will know everything there is to know by reflex in no time at all. It's clever that way.

RT+Select skips cutscenes in Bayonetta instantly, all of them. It is a game actually designed from the ground up to be replayed tons.

Ehhh, QTE's and space harrier and bike sequences kind of bummed me out in that regard. Same reason why I always dislike replaying DMC1 for the Mundus part 1 fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't think anyone says bayonetta is perfect, it just is good enough in the main areas to combat the shitty stuff while DmC doesn't benefit as much from that. I'm sure I complained about the enemy attacks out of cutscenes in the OT back when it came out because that shit was irritating, and the QTE implementation is awful and I recall being frequently panned on. There is a shortcut to skip in bayonetta(forget it) and there's no load. DmC has a lot of integrated scenes that aren't skippable at all.

Pretty much. The QTEs are definitely shit, the enemy attacks out of cutscenes are cheap as hell and don't get me started on that Space Harrier homage. Bayo is not perfect by any means.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was never a fan of the verse system in Bayonetta. It caused stuff like the split between the jeanne fight after the space harrier to happen, and some of the alfheims were annoying.

Are you aware of what "in the same breath" means?

1) Back + Dodge insta skips cutscenes.

2) Even if it didn't, you don't have to wait for loading like in DmC (which takes a while, mind you) to finish before you can actually skip.

3) Complaints about being unable to skip cutscenes are usually the result of subsequent playthroughs. Anyone playing through Bayonetta after the first time knows when the QTEs or enemy attacks are coming(not that I don't think they were a bad idea at all).

4) DmC tends to have clusters of cutscenes, meaning you may skip one, only to be thrust immediately into another. Then wait for the game to load before skipping or, even worse, wait through the entirety of an unskippable cutscene.

Long story short, Bayonetta is much less of a hassle on second playthroughs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd have happily replayed the final Jeanne fight a billion times if that stupid 20 minute torture session wasn't a prerequisite for doing it every time.

The last Jeanne fight is the best boss fight ever in my opinion. It's a testament to how good it is that I put up with that shit so many times over again.

If you ignore the second point I made, maybe.

I've only played the demo level on consoles, but on PC hitting the back button was never as much of a hassle as it was in Bayonetta to hit start->skip.

Not to mention that some cutscenes in Bayonetta end with the enemy attacking you. Unless you have these scenes memorized or simply hammer the dodge button, you will get hit.

Apdiddy

Having beat the game, it's OK but definitely not the worst game I've ever played but not the best either. Which is disappointing after the mostly excellent Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I'm not sure I should compare DMC to the OG DmC series since I've only played and beat the first one....that's not really fair to the DMC reboot.

Some of the levels just looked...bland. The later levels weren't as interesting as I'd hope they would be.
I would think the center area leading to Mundus' office/location of the hell gate would be swarmed with enemies, not in flat level/arena like areas. I was hoping it would be more like the part of Limbo leading to Raptor News HQ or the nightclub level.

I didn't have a problem with
Vergil wanting to become a ruler at the end...him being stand-offish and aloof was there all along. But Dante's change was a bit more of a problem for me since most of the game he acted like he didn't care and would be fine being no less than a mercenary.

Oh, and I really hated the Mundus boss battle. I actually laughed out loud at Stay Puff Marshmallow Mundus attacking Dante without arms. 'Tis only a flesh wound.

I'm hoping that if Capcom does have NT do a sequel they fix a few things (mainly the ranking system, better enemies, better levels, etc.) and keep others the same (the voice acting was top notch).

KevinCow

Banned
4) DmC tends to have clusters of cutscenes, meaning you may skip one, only to be thrust immediately into another. Then wait for the game to load before skipping or, even worse, wait through the entirety of an unskippable cutscene.

Bayonetta does the exact same thing with the clusters of cutscenes, and it's even more annoying when you have to press five things to skip them.

That said, I'm glad I know about the shortcut now. It should make the rest of the game far less painful. Especially entering and exiting the shop. It would've been nice if the game had told me about it, though.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's not an issue in DmC, I just think it's hypocritical that the people who complain that it ruins replay value in DmC tend to be the same people who have replayed Bayonetta a million times, and I've never seen anyone but myself take issue with it in Bayonetta.

Meanwhile, I've rarely seen anyone mention the little things in DmC that make it so much more playable and replayable, like:

- The easy to navigate mission select screen. Maybe you unlock something like this after you beat Bayonetta, but so far it seems like you can only load your last save.

- Secret missions that restart immediately, no load time, no cut to a failure screen. You fail, you press select, and it starts over. Plus, they're accessible from the main menu.

- Falling in pits doesn't count as a death, send you to a Game Over screen, and make you wait for it to reload. It just takes off a bit of health and instantly respawns you.

- The shop lets you return abilities with no penalty, encouraging the player to experiment. I'm frequently annoyed by the abilities shops in these kinds of games, because I have no idea which ones are gonna be useful. It sucks to buy something, only to later realize that you've basically wasted your upgrade points. It's nice to be able to trade something in if you realize it hasn't been very useful and try something else out instead.

Little things, but they add up a lot to make it more enjoyable and less annoying for me to play than many games like this.

- Falling in pits doesn't count as a death, send you to a Game Over screen, and make you wait for it to reload. It just takes off a bit of health and instantly respawns you.

Nothing in Bayonetta can kill you in one hit (QTEs excluded). Even potentially fatal attack always leave you with a sliver of health, this includes falling.

KevinCow

Banned
I was hopping around missions in Bayonetta today.

If a mission menu doesn't exist, I must be going crazy.

Then I guess it's something you need to unlock. I just know the main menu only had two options, Start Game and Load Game, and when I see that it usually means it works like older games where you don't have a super convenient mission select screen to jump around as you please.

Then I guess it's something you need to unlock. I just know the main menu only had two options, Start Game and Load Game, and when I see that it usually means it works like older games where you don't have a super convenient mission select screen to jump around as you please.

Load game, RB, choose mission? That doesn't work for some reason?

123rl

I finally bought DmC and I've finished two missions now. It's a good game, but a bad DMC game at the same time. I like switching between Angelic and Demonic weapons although having to hold down another button to attack seems pointless. But the lack of aim kills the game for me. Also, am I crazy or are there no Styles now? I want to fuck shit up with Royal Guard

So: good game, but as an action game it's not even close to DMC3 on a technical level and it shouldn't be using the DMC license

Dahbomb

- The shop lets you return abilities with no penalty, encouraging the player to experiment. I'm frequently annoyed by the abilities shops in these kinds of games, because I have no idea which ones are gonna be useful. It sucks to buy something, only to later realize that you've basically wasted your upgrade points. It's nice to be able to trade something in if you realize it hasn't been very useful and try something else out instead.
Has been a feature since DMC4.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You press right bumper at the chapter select screen to pull up the menu

It's in the manual

Probably could have figured it out yourself for less effort than complaining about it on message boards

KevinCow

Banned

It's in the manual

check that or the internet before complaining

Or maybe they could make a more intuitive menu interface that makes it clear that there's a chapter select. You know, like in DmC.

But I guess I'm talking about a company who thought it was a good idea to have a ten second cutscene every time you enter the shop.

And I'm talking to people who think that having a secret hidden input to skip cutscenes excuses the annoying frequency of them, not to mention how they often come in clusters and are just generally embarrassingly horrible.

No no, Bayonetta's perfect and nobody's allowed to point out the flaws in it. And when DmC and Bayonetta have the same flaw, it only counts as a flaw in DmC.

And you guys wonder why this bullying groupthink mentality scares people away from talking positively about DmC in this thread.

It's in the manual

Probably could have figured it out yourself for less effort than complaining about it on message boards

C'mon, no need for that sort of nastiness.
Or maybe they could make a more intuitive menu interface that makes it clear that there's a chapter select. You know, like in DmC.

But I guess I'm talking about a company who thought it was a good idea to have a ten second cutscene every time you enter the shop.

And I'm talking to people who think that having a secret hidden input to skip cutscenes excuses the annoying frequency of them, not to mention how they often come in clusters and are just generally embarrassingly horrible.

No no, Bayonetta's perfect and nobody's allowed to point out the flaws in it. And when DmC and Bayonetta have the same flaw, it only counts as a flaw in DmC.

And you guys wonder why this bullying groupthink mentality scares people away from talking positively about DmC in this thread.

Or this. You're making a habit of discussing DmC by criticizing DMC3 and Bayonetta, which puts people off because of your tone. Phrase everything you just posted in the form of a question, I think you'd get a lot more mileage out of the discussion before going straight for the ad hominems.

Anyways, starting to replay DMC4, there's a surprising amount of stuff that carried over to DmC, like the grapple platforming which is much more annoying in DMC4. I audibly said "oh, fuck you" when I missed a grapple in the castle section and it dropped me back into the room below and spawned scarecrows just to waste my time, instead of just spawning me back on the ledge. Also, I wish the pull moves in DmC were as quick as the devil bringer (maybe they are side by side, but they definitely feel faster in DMC4), though the move followups in DmC are pretty nice. Just depositing an enemy at your feet seems sort of...limp.

I finally bought DmC and I've finished two missions now. It's a good game, but a bad DMC game at the same time.
So: good game, but as an action game it's not even close to DMC3 on a technical level

I'd give it some more time than just playing two missions. Each individual weapon in DmC has less depth than a particular weapon in DMC3, so the combat in DmC really opens up when you amass a larger arsenal and are able to utilize all 8 at once. Also, the two best weapons (imo) - are obtained later in the game as one of the last weapons you receive.

It's in the manual

Relax dude, jeez.

Preference Bias. It exists rampantly in video game discussions. I affirm that Bayonetta is not the replay friendly kind of game some gaffers here make it out to be. But then again, it's just Bayonetta, DMC3 is the superior action game anyway. Which, as it happens, is also the most replay friendly action game despite some odd-ball key <-> door puzzles. With risk of being called out for demonstrating bias in my very own post, I'd like to remind people there are no genre breaking missions or sequences in DMC3, nor are there any QTE's, and the cutscene skip is extremely responsive. Not to mention next to all cutscenes are bookended at the start and end of missions, very rarely breaking in-mission pacing.

Pein

Banned
I finally bought DmC and I've finished two missions now. It's a good game, but a bad DMC game at the same time. I like switching between Angelic and Demonic weapons although having to hold down another button to attack seems pointless. But the lack of aim kills the game for me. Also, am I crazy or are there no Styles now? I want to fuck shit up with Royal Guard

So: good game, but as an action game it's not even close to DMC3 on a technical level and it shouldn't be using the DMC license

its a good thing at 2 missions in you've unlocked every weapon and move.

Lijik

- Secret missions that restart immediately, no load time, no cut to a failure screen. You fail, you press select, and it starts over. Plus, they're accessible from the main menu.

This was something I really liked. There was one with like a witch, a blood rage and a ghost rage that I fucked right up the first time. When I died and then Dante got right back up seamlessly and the match started over, I smiled.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

or maybe you can reference something on the internet before complaining about it on the internet.

It's not hard

Get over yourself.

You set the tone for your Bayonetta criticism with "I'm hating it less than last time." and then proceed to update us with every gut reaction you have as "criticism".

Alot of which are misinformation you could have referenced yourself in moments had you really wanted to.

But I guess a longer list looks better than a shorter one

Don't worry your agenda was plenty transparent in your previous posts. No need to restate it further

And I'm talking to people who think that having a secret hidden input to skip cutscenes

Again. In the manual. (but who reads those right?!?)

and it's like that so that people don't skip on accident. That's why the pause menu is in place. So people who want to pause it can pause and resume and more advanced players on replays know about the "secret" method.(from such hardcore advanced skills such as google and manual reading)

Risette

A Good Citizen

Intuitive menus don't really exist and the cutscene skip is obtuse on purpose so you don't skip them on accident.

Intuitive menus don't really exist and the cutscene skip is obtuse on purpose so you don't skip them on accident.

There is skipping things on accident, i.e - a mere press of a face button to a skip a cutscene. But a simple concept of a select button is okay. Most people don't mash the select button for no reason. I also think - that his argument is if they are going to make it obtuse, why then they don't let you know about the skip feature in some message prompt on game replays? I dunno, whatever.

And LOL at people in this thread telling others to "get over themselves" and "agendas" and shit. So funny.

Top Bottom