• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz to step down, Joining Clinton campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

You're acting like she did something illegal. She wrote a couple e-mails that were leaked that made it appear she may have not been 100% neutral at the DNC. That's it.

Folks are going to have to suck it up and realize that you're not going to agree with every political candidate on 100% of the issues or like 100% of the people who are working for those political candidates.

The move does nothing for Hillary and it's completely unnecessary. "Ignore it" and "suck it up" are not a valid defense for a move that has zero upside to it. The legality of what was done is also completely irrelevant, because this is about public perception.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pendas is a Correct the Record plant, confirmed!

I mean, all it takes was just one person saying "Trump!" and the conversation immediately veered off-course violently.

It's kinda funny in it's own way, to be honest. It must be so nice for Hillary to have an opponent like Trump, where she or her supporter(s) can just literally say, "But him!" and everything she does will be excused, heh :p

People saying let's shake things up are really in an ivory tower trying to fuck over all people not a straight, white Christian male in the USA lol

But we've had it so good in America for 30 years now, time to let everyone but white people down because some woman was a shitty chairperson

shem935

Banned
The move does nothing for Hillary and it's completely unnecessary. "Ignore it" and "suck it up" are not a valid defense for a move that has zero upside to it. The legality of what was done is also completely irrelevant, because this is about public perception.
Ultimately I don't think they want her presiding over the convention each day and potentially getting booed. Not a good look. I suspect her speech which I think is still on will be an apology speech to sanders which will be good to try to bridge the gap. That's my guess. Even if they don't do that I think it's worth it to not have running the convention and causing friction each day.

Pendas

Banned
Well GAF, you've been fun. But I've got a really long day tomorrow. :)

Guess where I am?

DNC.png

Peace! <3

Joeytj

Banned
Since when is being a surrogate the same as "joining the campaing" in a meaningful way?

Some Sanders supporters definitely care more about their feelings than actual politics.

She already resigned, she's not running the campaign. Gezus, and even if she were, the controversy waa about her being at the DNC and not with Hillary.

Let's see. If Clinton wins, little by little corruption will take over the Democratic party, next candidate will be worse than her but people will still vote because the alternative is even worse than Trump.

If Trump wins, he does damage for 4 years, loses next election and a true liberal president will be elected then we live in an utopia ever after.

The choice is clear to me.
jk.
Or not

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/debbie-wasserman-schultz-dnc-226100
But the Clinton campaign was very much involved in the DNC chair&#8217;s defenestration. Earlier in the day Sunday, Sanders had again suggested that Wasserman Schultz should resign -- and DNC officials announced she would be replaced as convention chair by Ohio Rep. Marcia Fudge, an influential member of the Congressional Black Caucus. By sundown &#8211; after intense negotiations with senior Clinton campaign officials -- the committee tapped longtime Clinton aide, TV surrogate and party vice-chair Donna Brazile as interim chairwoman.
But, to senior Democrats, it also representing a clean-up operation that brought Clinton and Sanders &#8211; who has demanded her ouster for months -- into closer alignment a day before the Vermont senator was due to deliver his opening-night endorsement of an opponent he long accused of rigging the election with the help of the D.C.-based party establishment.
All weekend, senior Clinton staffers and members of the Sanders brain trust were huddling in Philadelphia. Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver and strategist Mark Longabaugh were in touch with Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook, senior adviser Charlie Baker, and lawyer Marc Elias on Friday night and Saturday during the rules committee proceedings. The WikiLeaks emails kept popping up as a topic of conversation, and while the Sanders aides didn't demand Wasserman Schultz's ouster, they made their preference &#8212; that she exit as soon as possible &#8212; known.
Team Sanders got no warning either, but they were immediately cheered by the installation of Brazile. They had instructed Clinton aides in May &#8212; the last time speculation swirled about Wasserman Schultz's exit &#8212; that she was preferable, and they regarded her as better than Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid's option at the time, as well.

Inside the White House, aides and lawyers have been poring through the Wikileaks dump all weekend. There's a lot of flagging of potential problems, but also a lot of eye-rolling and disbelief about what Wasserman Schultz and her staff were thinking, and that they were putting it in emails.

Still, Obama didn't get involved at all as Wasserman Schultz was at the brink. Whenever the topic of replacing her came up, despite the fact that Obama lost patience with her years ago and generally avoided having to talk to her, he'd always felt that it wasn't worth the trouble that would come of forcing her out.

Bellamin

Reads like a bunch of bullshit to be honest, Obama didn't oust her because it was too much of a pain and wasn't worth the trouble?

I trust Glenn Thrush's reporting. His work has always been good in the past and his article cites senior Democrats as sources.

Well GAF, you've been fun. But I've got a really long day tomorrow. :)

Guess where I am?

DNC.png

Peace! <3

This is a good explanation for why the Democrats have problems gaining traction even when facing a historically bad candidate like Donald Trump.

It all makes sense now.

In an election where we are facing a despot who is going to do his best to trample on our fragile democracy, we've got people at the convention who are more than happy to tear the entire system down.

This is more disgraceful than anything I've seen in the emails.

Krowley

Since when is being a surrogate the same as "joining the campaing" in a meaningful way?

Some Sanders supporters definitely care more about their feelings than actual politics.

She already resigned, she's not running the campaign. Gezus, and even if she were, the controversy waa about her being at the DNC and not with Hillary.

Actually, the controversy was that she was always an extension of Hillary's campaign.

That she has now, literally, joined the campaign is definitely (to borrow the popular vernacular of political junkies) "not a good look."

This election is one hell of a clusterfuck. DWS seems like an egomaniac who threw a tempter tantrum.

It's a good thing Hillary is running against Trump instead of Romney.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Next position will be part of the Clinton Administration
Right
Mission Accomplished Debbie. Your next assignment democracy ambassador for the Clinton Foundation.
Right
I remember reading back when Sanders made his list of demands including DWS stepping down that she was going to be gone anyways? It's standard procedure, DWS was appointed by Obama and Clinton is going to want her own person in the position. Plus Clinton doesn't like DWS anyways, they have history
Wrong

Vire

Why are we even arguing over a made up title created just to keep her from being utterly humiliated in public? It's meaningless garbage.
Did you miss the part about Clinton vouching to campaign for her to reassert herself in a position of power.

Me too I guess.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Why are we even arguing over a made up title created just to keep her from utterly humiliated in public? It's meaningless garbage.
It's an awful political move and makes Hillary look bad.

This isn't good for anyone who doesn't want Trump to be president.

You have the head of DNC being accused of being in bed with you and your campaign and your first move after they're forced to resign is to actually bring them into your campaign? It looks like a quid pro quo at best.

Vire

I do find it amusing that literally no news outlet is reporting on the fact that Clinton offered her a job after the fact.

Not even mentioned in the CNN article.

Steel

Banned
I think it's a compromise to get DWS to walk away quietly without making a fuss

it's a very Underwood move, and smart move on part of Clinton

You don't have to think about that, the politico article posted earlier pretty much says as much.

I do find it amusing that literally no news outlet is reporting on the fact that Clinton offered her a job after the fact.

Not even mentioned in the CNN article.

It was mentioned on CNN the channel, though.

Did you miss the part about Clinton vouching to campaign for her to reassert herself in a position of power.

Me too I guess.

You mean get re-elected? Why is that even mildly controversial? All Sanders wanted was for DWS to be pushed out of the DNC, which happened. The rest of this is just noise and people screaming about optics.

Biske

Let's see. If Clinton wins, little by little corruption will take over the Democratic party, next candidate will be worse than her but people will still vote because the alternative is even worse than Trump.

If Trump wins, he does damage for 4 years, loses next election and a true liberal president will be elected then we live in an utopia ever after.

The choice is clear to me.
jk.
Or not

Uh and he stacks the supreme court with fuckheads and we get shitty decision after shitty decision... thats kind of a huge deal. Probably the biggest consequence of this election. Joke or not, the whole "vote for Trump so things get super shitty BUT Then they will get really great" is thrown around in seriousness and its dumb as hell and terrifying as hell.

jmood88

That's the point. We know that the position means nothing but hardcore Sanders fans are using this as proof that she was colluding with Hillary. We know that the emails are nothing outside the norm for a political campaign, and actually pretty tame, but hardcore Sanders fans see it as definitive proof that the election is rigged, and republicans are loving being able to fake like they're outraged. Just like with the Melania Trump thing, the issue isn't what actually happened, it's how the campaign has reacted and hiring her, even if it's for a nothing position, on the heels of the emails is just dumb. If she's whining and stomping her feet, tell her that she needs to shut up and wait or she won't have any job at all, don't allow her to continue making your campaign look bad.

Cth

I'm conflicted.

I'm one of those 3rd party/independent voters.

I don't like either candidate. Both have policies that will be destructive. There's checks and balances in place (in theory) to keep things from getting out of hand (provided neither party sweeps all three branches)

So, ultimately it boils down to the supreme court issue. Which I get that there's a chance to impact things for years to come. And yes, there's LGBT rights and other issues that will definitely be decided by the make up of this future court, so I get that importance.

My problem is, every single time there's been a Democrat in office, I've lost my job/got laid off. I finally managed to get a full time job after I 3 and a half years recently. So yes, it's selfish/paranoia but I'm leaning towards throwing my support to a third party candidate. I already lost my house to foreclosure, which put incredible stress on our family. So, I'm (hopefully) understandably nervous with either outcome.

And I'm in North Carolina, which makes things even more conflicting. Things could go either way. And ultimately, the election is decided by the electoral college it's really a matter of how I'm registered.

I know no candidate will ever fit me 100% and I value my vote and feel I have a moral obligation to vote my conscience -- and to me, voting for something as opposed to against something is important.

So I'm conflicted -- do I support my family and friends who are LGBT and risk losing my job again, or do I continue to (in some people's eyes) "throw away my vote" by showing I want more choices?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Okay, tell me what an honorary chair does.
It doesn't matter.

Person A and Person B both work in a highly visible public office.

Person A is forced to resign from their job because of allegations being overly favorable to Person B. Person B hires Person A for a job on the same exact day.

When does that not look like a quid pro quo? When does that look like a smart business decision? It's laughable people are defending this. It looks AWFUL

I'm conflicted.

I don't like either candidate. Both have policies that will be destructive. There's checks and balances in place (in theory) to keep things from getting out of hand (provided neither party sweeps all three branches)

So, ultimately it boils down to the supreme court issue. Which I get that there's a chance to impact things for years to come. And yes, there's LGBT rights and other issues that will definitely be decided by the make up of this future court, so I get that importance.

My problem is, every single time there's been a Democrat in office, I've lost my job/got laid off. I finally managed to get a full time job after I 3 and a half years recently. So yes, it's selfish/paranoia but I'm leaning towards throwing my support to a third party candidate. I already lost my house to foreclosure, which put incredible stress on our family. So, I'm (hopefully) understandably nervous with either outcome.

And I'm in North Carolina, which makes things even more conflicting. Things could go either way. And ultimately, the election is decided by the electoral college it's really a matter of how I'm registered.

I know no candidate will ever fit me 100% and I value my vote and feel I have a moral obligation to vote my conscience -- and to me, voting for something as opposed to against something is important.

So I'm conflicted -- do I support my family and friends who are LGBT and risk losing my job again, or do I continue to (in some people's eyes) "throw away my vote" by showing I want more choices?

Um, what kind of job do you have that would be somehow so vulnerable to a Democrat in the White House?

It doesn't matter.

Person A and Person B both work in a highly visible public office.

Person A is forced to resign from their job because of allegations being overly favorable to Person B. Person B hires Person A for a job on the same exact day.

When does that not look like a quid pro quo? When does that look like a smart business decision? It's laughable people are defending this. It looks AWFUL

I'm not defending how it LOOKS or OPTICS, I'm trying to understand the REALITY of what it was. I would gladly agree that there's a bunch of people out there who will see what they want to see here, but that doesn't mean it's not a bullshit title made for a press release.

Steel

Banned
I'm conflicted.

I mean, if you lost your job in or around 2008 it's mostly on bush w. The financial crisis was not caused by Obama.

Blader

I'm conflicted.

Huh? Do you get laid off because all your bosses are republicans and they punish their employees every time a democrat is elected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom