• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think cross gen periods are lasting much longer now?

REDRZA MWS

Yes. If the Pro versions of consoles become a standard thing (and it looks like they are), we will see a lot longer cross-gen period since the jump from a Pro console to the next generation will be smaller. I.e. game releases and deployment will be more "fluid" between generations and platforms. But this is also a consequence of locking people into digital ecosystems.

It also doesn't help that big-ass games take 8+ years to make...
The “pro” versions prolong the back end, but the beginning lasted way too long having ps4/5 Xbox one/series x/s games release on the older hardware while being ported over from weaker hardware for far too long of a period. I’m not talking about still supporting older hardware, again, I’m talking they don’t make exclusive games solely to take advantage of the new gen’s hardware is happening at too slow a pace.

Hudo

The “pro” versions prolong the back end, but the beginning lasted way too long having ps4/5 Xbox one/series x/s games release on the older hardware while being ported over from weaker hardware for far too long of a period. I’m not talking about still supporting older hardware, again, I’m talking they don’t make exclusive games solely to take advantage of the new gen’s hardware is happening at too slow a pace.
Yes, which is what I am talking about as well.

amigastar

It's kinda funny Metaphor Refantazio will get a cross gen release on PS4 and such.
I hoped cross gen is a thing of past slowly but surely now.

Supporting older hardware is commendable, and appreciated.
nah should be laws against it

SLZKve.gif

bender

What time is it?
What was the recent number of PS4 MUAs? 100M. No reason to leave those folks behind when most games are scalable and the architectures are so similar. I don't see cross generation ever going away again save for major architectural shifts.

amigastar

Also graphics are not much better this gen than last gen and making games takes too long anyways so that's another factor.

Top Bottom