• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early critics lol, calling this revolutionary and Matrix levels.
Eh, I can see why someone would feel like duckroll. It's a very safe, predictable movie. I enjoyed it a lot anyway.
Your username got me thinking what a Jodorowsky Marvel movie would be like :D

duckroll

It's not a bad film by any means. I thought the humor was pretty funny, there was a lot of it, and the effects were for the most part really well done. The dimensional stuff looked great. It's just wasted potential and unfulfilling if you want something more than just a 2 hour time waster that makes you laugh. While the effects were nice, I didn't like the actual fighting much. Felt like a videogame with QTEs and timed blocks and counters.

I don't like Sherlock's take on Strange either. Too openly arrogant and sarcastic without the presence of being a dangerous man. But what I did like was the Ancient One. Stand out performance. She played really well against the entire cast, elevating what little there is to elevate in otherwise pedestrian scenes.

Litan

It's not a bad film by any means. I thought the humor was pretty funny, there was a lot of it, and the effects were for the most part really well done. The dimensional stuff looked great. It's just wasted potential and unfulfilling if you want something more than just a 2 hour time waster that makes you laugh. While the effects were nice, I didn't like the actual fighting much. Felt like a videogame with QTEs and timed blocks and counters.

I don't like Sherlock's take on Strange either. Too openly arrogant and sarcastic without the presence of being a dangerous man. But what I did like was the Ancient One. Stand out performance. She played really well against the entire cast, elevating what little there is to elevate in otherwise pedestrian scenes.
With the origin out of the way and the character established, I hope they go for a more original script and make good use of Mordo as a villain for the sequel.

The things that disappointed me were the waste of Mads & McAdams and some of the fights feeling a little mundane. I really enjoyed the rest of it. The origin story was a necessary "evil", especially for someone like Doctor Strange.

I did read (in Empire magazine) that they saved the really crazy ideas for the sequel so I'm excited for that.

Raptor

The things that disappointed me were the waste of Mads & McAdams and some of the fights feeling a little mundane. I really enjoyed the rest of it. The origin story was a necessary "evil", especially for someone like Doctor Strange.

I did read (in Empire magazine) that they saved the really crazy ideas for the sequel so I'm excited for that.

Thats a dangerous method, see Singer with his Superman.

guek

Banned

giphy.gif

but you can't kill my hype

duckroll

Well, there isn't a lack of crazy in this film so it's all cool. We're getting even more crazy next time.

Really? I don't think there was anything crazy in the film at all. The visuals were trippy sure, but what was actually weird or crazy in the story? It's literally Hero's Journey 101 with some creative visual effects used as background flavoring. There was no mystery, no horror, no interesting exploration of magic. Just a basic primer for "who is Doctor Strange" to the general audience. Guardians of the Galaxy had way more "crazy" in it, and it wasn't even particularly trying.

Really? I don't think there was anything crazy in the film at all. The visuals were trippy sure, but what was actually weird or crazy in the story? It's literally Hero's Journey 101 with some creative visual effects used as background flavoring. There was no mystery, no horror, no interesting exploration of magic. Just a basic primer for "who is Doctor Strange" to the general audience. Guardians of the Galaxy had way more "crazy" in it, and it wasn't even particularly trying.
I think they were specifically talking about the visuals in the interview. I can't remember exactly but I'm quite sure that's what they were talking about. Maybe they were talking about the story; it could be they wanted to keep this safe so they could ease in the audience or something.

Anyway, the visuals are what I was referring to. :)

kurahador

What did you thought about Ant-Man?

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think I've seen so much as a non-character in a movie as Rachel McAdams in this film. They may as well have just renamed her character "Inessential Person"

The character didn't even have any kind of defined personality or relevance to the plot. She was just "Person".

duckroll

No...I mean in terms of being an origin story. Does Ant-Man did it better than Doc Strange?

Ant Man was far more interesting, creative, and satisfying as an overall film compared to Doctor Strange. Better characters, better cast dynamics, and a climax that actually felt earned and worth fighting for, instead of something that feels like a cutscene with "Achievement Unlocked - Completed Game on Normal Difficulty" popping up at the end.

I do agree with that Doctor Strange needs to go crazy and weird in terms of story and the way it's told, I just don't think this would've been the easiest movie to do that.

Someone will probably prove me wrong, though.

BadAss2961

Ant Man was far more interesting, creative, and satisfying as an overall film compared to Doctor Strange. Better characters, better cast dynamics, and a climax that actually felt earned and worth fighting for, instead of something that feels like a cutscene with "Achievement Unlocked - Completed Game on Normal Difficulty" popping up at the end.
Ugh... Hard to be that uninteresting. Concept alone should push Strange at least beyond Ant-Man.

Ant-Man is some of the weakest shit i've seen. It just wanted to fill a runtime as generically as possible and collect. Can't sit through more than 20 minutes at once on STARZ.

guek

Banned
Ugh... Hard to be that uninteresting. Concept alone should push Strange at least beyond Ant-Man.

Ant-Man is some of the weakest shit i've seen. It just wanted to fill a runtime as generically as possible and collect. Can't sit through more than 20 minutes at once on STARZ.

Maybe you'd love it if it had a pop song every 5 minutes

I like it a lot more than I do Ant-Man (which I still like). The concept, the visuals, the setting, the whole hero's journey thing, the cinematography, the score and the cast were all better than Ant-Man, IMO. I think Ant-Man is the most generic Marvel movie you can get. Good action scenes, though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I like it a lot more than I do Ant-Man (which I still like). The concept, the visuals, the setting, the whole hero's journey thing, the cinematography, the score and the cast were all better than Ant-Man, IMO. I think Ant-Man is the most generic Marvel movie you can get. Good action scenes, though.

Personally, for me the story was much better told in Ant-Man and the characters in that film proved to be far more well-rounded and engaging than anyone found in Doctor Strange.

Both Doctor Strange and Ant-Man tell very generic, by-the-numbers stories, but the difference for me is that Ant-Man told it's story much better. The only real general difference between the two films is their distinctly different visual styles and their differing approaches to presenting action.

Aside from the wonderfully trippy visuals, there's nothing really that sets Doctor Strange apart from previous Marvel efforts.

Doodis

Ugh, it's time for me to stay out of this thread until I see the movie next weekend. Hype is being dragged to the quantum realm.

Personally, for me the story was much better told in Ant-Man and the characters in that film proved to be far more well-rounded and engaging than anyone found in Doctor Strange.

Both Doctor Strange and Ant-Man tell very generic, by-the-numbers stories, but the difference for me is that Ant-Man told it's story much better. The only real general difference between the two films is their distinctly different visual styles and their differing approaches to presenting action.

Aside from the wonderfully trippy visuals, there's nothing really that sets Doctor Strange apart from previous Marvel efforts.
I respect that even though it's the opposite for me :)

longdi

Banned
I agree with duckroll, antman had a better origin story and the jokes were better. Gotg had more trippiness like that 80s music.

Dr strange felt more like marvel creating Tony stark 2.0, jokes weren't as fresh, origins seems rushed. It even tried setting up a new big bad after thanos.

I give it 7/10 for freshness. Mcu is slipping, i think their era is eroding, antman was the last one that i genuinely enjoyed

I agree with duckroll, antman had a better origin story and the jokes were better. Gotg had more trippiness like that 80s music.

Dr strange felt more like marvel creating Tony stark 2.0, jokes weren't as fresh, origins seems rushed. It even tried setting up a new big bad after thanos.

I give it 7/10 for freshness. Mcu is slipping, i think their era is eroding, antman was the last one that i genuinely enjoyed

Ant man was just last June.....

kiguel182

The film has some cool visuals, an interesting climax and some funny parts. It's not revolutionary and it's a very by the numbers script overall but it's an enjoyable time waster.

Harmen

Probably seeing it tomorrow, still hyped though I will keep my expectations in check in respect to the story and villain.

Furthermore, a shitton of people would argue Civil War is one of MCU's highlights. Don't know about gaf though, filmgaf is confusing to me.

ElyrionX

I liked Ant Man but Strange is a much better movie than Ant Man. Far better supporting cast. Tilda Swinton alone is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in Ant Man. And Rachel McAdams is so much more charismatic than Evangeline Lilly.

longdi

Banned

Maybe i should say mcu is losing steam, and marvel is desperately hanging on as evident by dr strange, they hoping to extend the mcu by going in circles, but the formula is becoming formulaic!

AoU = suck
CA:CW = BvS mess
Dr strange = refresh rehash.

time to cut the rope kevin!

Famassu

A well made movie, the VFX were really nice, an enjoyable movie, but all-in-all it's dragged down a bit by the action not being all that imaginative or special most of the time apart from the world-bending magic (the time-flowing-backwards battle scene near the end was pretty neat in concept & execution but some of the other action scenes mostly had the mindfuckery visuals as a backdrop to some pretty pedestrian melee fights) and the story being a bit too typical a superhero origin story in many aspects.

I hope Dr. Strange 2 will go crazier in all aspects (and whatever other MCU movies he'll be in). As far as MCU origin stories go, this was a pretty decent one (it's not as horribly boring as Captain America:FA or unnoteworthy as Thor), but not among the best of all MCU movies.

nubbe

I think it was a decent movie.
Everything was really straightforward with no twists.
It felt rather shallow. I wish there had been some drama that explored the aspects darkness.

I'm annoyed that Mr doctor became all powerful without a decent montage.

It was kind fun to hear a person in the audience utter "I don't understand this" when Strange was first ripped from his body and traveled through dimensions and time.

A decent introduction movie I guess.
I hope the next one is insane.

guek

Banned
Maybe i should say mcu is losing steam, and marvel is desperately hanging on as evident by dr strange, they hoping to extend the mcu by going in circles, but the formula is becoming formulaic!

AoU = suck
CA:CW = BvS mess
Dr strange = refresh rehash.

time to cut the rope kevin!
Nah.

While the reliance on formula is concerning, it's yet to have a major impact on reception or BO performance. Few would agree that civil war was a mess on the level of bvs or guilty of typical marvel formula tropes.

ElyrionX

I reallly like Rachel McAdams, but she was a total non-entity in this movie. Evangeline Lilly in Ant Man actually had presence, not to mention an actual character arc.

None of those have anything to do with charisma.

Evangelline Lilly is almost a tired cliche of herself by now, bordering at Michelle Rodriguez-levels of bad. She plays the same hardass woman with some kind of underlying vulnerability in virtually all her prominent roles.

number11

One of the reasons the Logan trailer is getting praise is because of how different it looks. I never understood when people talk about superhero fatigue, but I'm starting to feel the MCU fatigue. How many times can you make the same formulaic movie before people get bored?

Having said that, I'm still excited for the next batch of MCU movies. The good news is that they won't be origin stories.

SpaceWolf

Banned
None of those have anything to do with charisma.

Actually, screen presence has a lot to do with charisma.

Evangelline Lilly is almost a tired cliche of herself by now, bordering at Michelle Rodriguez-levels of bad. She plays the same hardass woman with some kind of underlying vulnerability in virtually all her prominent roles

...?

Evangelline Lilly has hardly gotten herself involved in enough mainstream projects since she finished LOST to be labelled as someone who gets typecast as "hard ass women", so I find your point a little bewildering. Also struggling to understand your definition of "hard-ass women". Do you basically mean women who are strong and capable in the face of adversity? Kate from LOST wasn't a "hard-ass" neither was her Elven character in "The Hobbit". Aren't those basically the only two prominent roles she's ever done?

I take it you also thought she was being a bit of a hard-ass in that film where she ate some crackers?

NotLiquid

This movie was one hell of a treat. Especially visually. Definitely an interesting direction for Marvel to go in. The last act was quite a riot.

longdi

Banned
I wonder how they will do scenes with Tony and Strange together in Infinity Wars? Two wise cracking ego freaks, is such a thing even possible?

mrkgoo

I think where doctor strange loses out to any man is that mostly there are no surprises. The story is told in the same way any of these movies are told. The same things happen. Guy who loses his way finds redemption in training for some mystical art that he doesn't believe in until he starts truly believing. Matrix, Star Wars umpteen martial arts movies etc.

Which is fine. It's a classic tale. And hence the movie is fine. Story wise it just isn't anything really truly interesting. It's so classic that visuals and style aside, they could've released 10-20 years ago (where it would've had a bigger impact) and the story would still be the same.

Ant-man is told in a way that is not as conventional but also the story isn't as cliched. There are moments that you don't expect to happen. It feels like a different take on a character designed for the movies. I don't really read either character in the comics but where any man feels like he has been adapted and changed, doctor strange feels like it's just exactly taken from the comics. Which is not a bad thing necessarily, but it just lends to the feeling that there isn't anything new (again, visuals and style aside).

And no, it's no matrix level of revolution. To do that you have to come out nearly 20 years ago.

NotLiquid

Can I just say that Cumberbatch is not a charismatic Dr. Strange?

I dunno if I agree. I'm not a fan of the actor but as a character he's absolutely convincing in the portraying Strange's development. Cumberbatch is perfect in portraying someone as talented as he is arrogant, and it makes it all the more satisfying to see him humbled by the things he doesn't believe in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom