• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I prefer civil war but I like this too!

The visual effect is really stunning, especially the part in Hong Kong

Tacitus_

How generic is he? Yellow Jacket/Iron Mongers tier (which I love) or Malekith/Ronan tier (which I hate)?

I'm really horrible at ranking these things, but probably somewhere in between. He looks great when he's doing his thing, but he comes off really one dimensional with his lack of dialogue. The one good dialogue scene was pretty good though, even if it still left his motivation.. lacking.

Just finished watched it. The effects are spectacular and most imaginative in MCU but story wise, it kind of flat.
Cumberbatch is a great actor but he seems not enjoying his role this time.
Overall it still entertaining although not as great Iron Man or Captain Americ, its not as bad as Thor or Hulk. I think Ant Man is the closest things to compare.

Best fights in the MCU to date, God the effects were so good.
Really really enjoyed it. Best introduction MCU movie so far.
Loved the
time loop deaths
, just amazing.

Refreshing to have an asshole hero too. Tony is snarky, but damn Strange is a real know it all prick. Typical surgeon.

Rachel McAdams is the only low point, they gave her absolutely nothing to do. She's a spare wheel throughout. Disappointing.

Rafy

506f5c26fafdc943f53b00cfebbc3f5e.png
I am about to watch the movie right now. This will be my first ever IMAX experience, wish me luck.

EDIT: Jesus. this screen is huge!

Blader

Rachel McAdams is the only low point, they gave her absolutely nothing to do. She's a spare wheel throughout. Disappointing.

That's disappointing but basically what I expected when Feige described her as being Strange's tether to the real world. Collider did an interview with Feige a few weeks ago and asked how McAdams would be different from the typical superhero girlfriend, and he just ignored the question :lol

Fluvian

Banned
May i ask why? was Mikkelsen's perfomance bad,barely any screentime etc? i'm really curious.

Not enough screen time. There was something there to develop, he could have been a tragic hero figure but they wasted it, I kind of understand it actually since I don't feel they needed to cut anything to give him more screen time, they just needed the film to be longer.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So I just got back from seeing this less than an hour ago, and I have to say that on the whole...I was pretty disappointed with it. Although it had a handful of some nice moments, it was definitely far, far lesser than the sum of its parts.

Pros:
-Some really nice visuals, and not just in terms of the film's special effects. The film was really complimented by some great set design and costume work, that was both colorful and imaginative.
-Tilda Swinton, unsurprisingly, was brilliant.

Cons:
-Even though I usually like him as an actor, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch turned in a pretty poor performance as Strange. Very awkward and hesitant, he seemed to struggle with some of the more emotional material he was given. Plus, even speaking as an Englishman, I found his American accent distractingly terrible. It's really bad.
-Very rushed story in addition to flimsy, bland and uninspired characterization.
-Another incredibly weak Marvel villain in the form of Kaecilius. An extremely, dull by the numbers villain who follows the usual kind of motivations. An utterly forgettable antagonist.
-As predicted, as the obligatory love interest, Rachel McAdams's character is utterly worthless and gets given absolutely nothing of interest to do, so much so she just abruptly exits the film without another word before the third act kicks off. You could have removed her from the film entirely and nothing would have changed.
-Really awkward, not particularly funny comedic beats constantly crop up inappropriately during dramatic moments. It feels like many jokes were shoe-horned into the film at the last minute in a hurried attempt to make the film "lighter", without thinking about how they disrupt the dramatic tone of any given scene. (For example, a goofy joke immediately is exchanged after a character is brutally killed off which ultimately ruins the overall tone of the scene).
-The film's climactic battle is far too chaotic and ends much too abruptly.

So yeah, speaking as someone who was really looking forward to this film, I felt pretty let down. Tilda Swinton was great though.

6/10.

Fluvian

Banned
So I just got back from seeing this less than an hour ago, and I have to say that on the whole...I was pretty disappointed with it. Although it had a handful of some nice moments, it was definitely lesser far, far lesser than the sum of its parts.

Pros:
-Some really nice visuals, and not just in terms of the film's special effects. The film was really complimented by some great set design and costume work, that was both colorful and imaginative.
-Tilda Swinton, unsurprisingly, was brilliant.

Cons:
-Even though I usually like him as an actor, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch turned in a pretty poor performance as Strange. Very awkward and hesitant, he seemed to struggle with some of the more emotional material he was given. Plus, even speaking as an Englishman, I found his American accent distractingly terrible. It's really bad.
-Very rushed story in addition to flimsy, bland and uninspired characterization.
-Another incredibly weak Marvel villain in the form of Kaecilius. An extremely, dull by the numbers villain who follows the usual kind of motivations. Another utterly forgettable antagonist.
-As predicted, as the obligatory love interest, Rachel McAdams; character is utterly worthless and is given absolutely nothing interesting to do, so much so she just exits the film before the third act kicks off. You could have removed her from the film entirely and nothing would have changed.
-Really awkward, not particularly funny comedic beats constantly crop up at completely unnecessary dramatic moments. It feels like many jokes were shoe-horned into the film at the last minute in a hurried attempt to make the film "lighter", without thinking about how they disrupt the dramatic tone of any given scene. (For example, a goofy joke immediately is exchanged after a character is brutally killed off which ultimately ruins the overall tone of the scene).
-The film's climactic battle is far too chaotic and ends much too abruptly.

So yeah, speaking as someone who was really looking forward to this film, I felt pretty let down. Tilda Swinton was great though.

6/10.

Weird, excluding the part about Cumberbatch I actually agree with everything you said, and I'd probably give it a higher score, around 8 I'd say.

I don't know I was just so charmed by the visuals and how creative most of the sequences are, I really enjoyed it and it felt fresh to me.

Oh and a bit of spoiler talk, about the climax I actually think it's pretty fucking great excluding
how sudden Madds death is, all the stuff with Dromanu's sequence was great, watching strange die and say that line over and over again got a big laugh out of me and I could see Dan Harmons writing all over it (very Rick and Morty esk.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Weird, excluding the part about Cumberbatch I actually agree with everything you said, and I'd probably give it a higher score, around 8 I'd say.

I don't know I was just so charmed by the visuals and how creative most of the sequences are, I really enjoyed it and it felt fresh to me.

Oh and a bit of spoiler talk, about the climax I actually think it's pretty fucking great excluding
how sudden Madds death is, all the stuff with Dromanu's sequence was great, watching strange die and say that line over and over again got a big laugh out of me and I could see Dan Harmons writing all over it (very Rick and Morty esk.

I did definitely like that part, but it still struck me as rather illogical. What guarantee is there that Dormammu would even keep his word after Strange leaves? As some kind of celestial, god-like being, why would Dormammu even feel the need to keep up his end of the "bargain"? That, and Strange just brushing past Madds in the final fight felt really unsatisfying to me.

El Topo

I really enjoyed the movie, much more than I had expected, but I have to agree that Rachel McAdams' part/role was almost insulting.

I did definitely like that part, but it still struck me as rather illogical. What guarantee is there that Dormammu would even keep his word after Strange leaves? As some kind of celestial, god-like being, why would Dormammu even feel the need to keep up his end of the "bargain"? That, and Strange just brushing past Madds in the final fight felt really unsatisfying to me.

I agree, but then again, not everything has to make sense in a movie like this.

Fluvian

Banned

Because strange only ended the spell afterwards when he restored the sanctum

Wiseblade

Are we doing rankings now?

Top Tier
Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Avengers

High Tier
Antman
Iron Man
Captain America

Mid Tier
Doctor Strange
Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2

Low Tier
Incredible Hulk
Thor

Bottom Tier
Thor 2: The Dark World

Ask me tomorrow and I might swap Cap 1 and Strange around. Doctor Strange really does make the Thor movies look like trash.

Doctor Strange has my favourite third act of any MCU origin movie. It's not a "wow I can't believe they did such a ballsy thing"-level but it was pretty cool and unique.

Ask me tomorrow and I might swap Cap 1 and Strange around. Doctor Strange really does make the Thor movies look like trash.

The Thor movies make the Thor movies look like trash. But I can't agree at all with this ranking of IM3. That's a top 3 MCU movie for me.
francis.png

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Having a heavy meal beforehand meant I was starting to nod-off towards the end (This is true of most movies for these days, a reflection of age more than any statement on the film)

When the clothing gets the biggest gags, you'd normally worry about the film but it was great. I kinda wished we'd done 3D. Cast was uniformly great and loved Giacchino busting out a harpsichord as a signature sound.

Grazzt

Just saw it, and I definitely loved it. The actions, combined with the visual effects, were just brilliant. Not too much humor like other Marvel movies, but there were still some good laughs.
I agree it's in the Antman's tier, just below Avengers 1, IM1 and Civil war 2 and 3.

I'm quite disappointed about Dormammu. I think he should be more powerful, and get a post-credit scene suggesting he is gonna break the deal or something.

Orbis

Saw it last night, I was pleasantly surprised given that I wasn't sold on the trailers. Good fun movie that neither dragged on nor felt remotely cheesy.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah saw it as well last night, it was pretty good and kind of fresh (you know magic and stuff). In addition to the villain which was wasted again, I didn't think the music was better than other MCU, it has the same problem: it's too quiet and mostly in the background, only when the credits roll you could really hear it.

ps. In the 3D screening I was in the movie was messed up (blurry) from the beginning, luckily they fixed it in 2 minutes.

Somehow the kungfu and magic fight in this make me want a high budget naruto movie, lol.

Tilda Swinton as Ancient One is amazing. I want to watch this again soon.

As much as I like Tilda Swinton in general and also in Doctor Strange, there was nothing, absolutely nothing in her performance that an Asian(-American) woman couldn't have done. I kept thinking throughout the movie that a bald Zhang Ziyi could have easily taken the role without appearing like a Dragon Lady stereotype.

RogueShadow

Neo Member
Soooo.....uh, Forbes has two reviews for this movie now ?

One calling it pure magic and the other calling it subpar.

Ooooookay ?......

Donos

Was okay to good. Some nitpicks but overall he fits the role. Cbatch definitively looks good in his sorcerer dress (without and with cape). Suprised that the theatre was not booked out on release day but it seems that the marketing was rather weak in germany imo.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Cbatch definitively looks good in his sorcerer dress (without and with cape).

I'm not that familiar with Strange and only know him from other Marvel comics he has cameos in, but man did he look incredible in that costume, especially when the cape came on. Felt 100% like the character. Costume/effects department did a great job here

mrkgoo

Going to add my thoughts from spoiler thread (no spoilers) - It's a good movie, but the story is rather pedestrian. The visuals and effects elevate it.

Really excited to see it, but I hate when some dumbass makes a spoiler comment and thinks they can get off by putting a shitty spoiler warning like this:

Spoiler Warning,the Avengers go eat Schwarma.

duckroll

That was a really pretty effects laden videogame action movie with a safe and boring as fuck origin story. Might be the safest and most mundane Marvel film since Thor 2.

That was a really pretty effects laden videogame action movie with a safe and boring as fuck origin story. Might be the safest and most mundane Marvel film since Thor 2.
Damn

Well, going to see this at IMAX 3D just for the visuals, so hopefully I'm at least entertained by that.

El Topo

Eh, I can see why someone would feel like duckroll. It's a very safe, predictable movie. I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom