• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodgy games journalism and Shoe's last editorial on the subject

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This thread is in part inspired by reading this: http://vgmwatch.com/?p=917#more-917

This is a subject of great interest to me, mainly because I have writer friends who've been in positions to accept moneyhats and (although THEY didn't), this shit is terrible for not only the industry as a whole (shit games selling meaning more shit gets made), but it's particularly shit for those who can't afford to spend money on crap and are passionate enough to save whatever pennies they have in wait of a great game.

Some of you may remember the Driv3r scandal where the game received 9/10 in two major Future publications, a high score on Games Radar, a perfect 5/5 in a grotty UK men's mag (hi Sam Richards) and everyone else who wouldn't guarantee at least a 7 was refused a review copy.

No journo involved in what was lazily dubbed as 'Driv3rgate' wanted to go on record about being offered moneyhats or even the code refusal. MCV ran a feature on it, and typically, the bigwigs denied their mags accepting moneyhats or similar and the whole thing was swept under the rug with all potentially shameful parties walking away without a scratch.

So why am I bringing this up?

Well there was a part that caught my eye in Shoe's editorial:

“While I want to call them out because I want the industry to shape up, I don’t want to get into petty fights. I feel like we’re above that.” Hsu also worried that an investigative piece looking at these accusations would not be a good fit for an entertainment magazine like EGM.

So why do the editorial at all? “I had a selfish reason for doing that editorial,” Hsu said. “I’m hoping that, with this added pressure for everyone to do the right thing…and for the press to start acting like press…that it’ll make it better for *all* of us across the board… If all of my competitors would not allow game companies to read their copy before going to print … it’d make my life a lot easier.”

I don't think this is the way to go. Because of the way the Driv3r scandal ended up - no-one getting called out or suffering for their dishonesty - this shit continues today and the mags continue to flourish, hoodwinking honest folk into buying turds. That's if they still do such things, as I don't read the mags or the site involved.

Thing is, I strongly believe they NEED to be called out and publically shamed. Have I heard of any moneyhat stories since? Not since then, but I have heard of review copies not being sent out unless certain scores can be guaranteed and similar such PR-friendly services.

Still, the publications highlighted in the scandal continue to sells well and Shame Radar has now expanded into the U.S market and has since inked an MSN deal. If the shame was indeed backed up with accounts from those involved, then I don't thank that would be the case and many people would feel inclined to leave those publications for more reliable and honest scriblings.

Here's World of Stuart's excellent acrhive of the whole icident, also involving Babel Media viral dudes (which you're all probably sick of, but I'm going to link anyway):

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/drivergate/drivergate.htm

NEVER FORGET

It does suck that game journalists make half of what other journalists make. In general at least. I am going to college to become a journalist, and I plan to start in gaming, but I've pretty much accepted that it's only going to be a start of my career. After a few years unless something gives I'm going to have to move on to bigger things than just games despite them being my first love.

winter

I love how the new matrix game got scores of 7+. For those who don't believe a score of 7 calls for "moneyhats," play the game and tell me it deserves more than a 3.

The problem with a very large portion of the gaming press is that they are often brought up as kids, and they stay kids. They stay boastful egotistical selfish children who exist to look good or get things.

Top Bottom