• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does ePSXe enhance really enhance psx visuals?

neptunes

chrono.JPG

ff8.JPG

This emulator is over good, but I haven't noticed any differences can someone tell me if it enhances the visuals of ps0ne games by a large margin?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes it does...but it takes a lot of work to get to that point.

Based on your shots, you are WAY off...

If I had my PC available right now, I could give you some pointers, but I'm currently away from it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is there no way to speed up load times?

And I know it can't be discussed here, so can someone PM me on how to transfer my games to my hard drive as playable "roms"? I'd like to have a few PSX games on my PC for when I leave for Tokyo on Wed.

Lyte Edge

neptunes said:
assuming you have the legit copies of the game, just make an image of them.

Yeah, that's what I need the help on. ^_^; I have about 100 PSX games; no pirating for me.

neptunes

If only the ps2 could do this to psx games, I was fooled into the sony hype when they said the ps2 would enhance psx games.

I wonder if this could be played over kaillera ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, there has been no work (IE, software updates/releases) on PSX emulators for awhile.
interesting

ePSXe 1.6.0 released! - August 5 2003

Then again it appears updates are very infrequent

dark10x

neptunes said:
If only the ps2 could do this to psx games, I was fooled into the sony hype when they said the ps2 would enhance psx games.

HUUUGE difference, though...

PSX emulation requires TONS of fiddling in order to achieve the best results for each game. PS2 was designed to be fully compatible while providing slight enhancements. There is NO WAY they could have allowed for such drastic improvements without destroying compatibility.

Hahah this is like me with ZSNES. I can barely get it to work with the default settings. GOD FORBID I put any engines on it. (I've only been using Emulators for games I own, and when I'm not at home, as well to test this POS out.)

The sad part, my laptop's specs:

1.1 AMD4 ghz
384 MB RAM

But I do have a shitty videocard. Some 16MB Trident thing. Bleh. And yes I'm using the latest version of ZSNESWIN. :\

I'd be afraid to even try ePSXe. Though I hear VP, and Grandia look alot better. It'd be nice to play Grandia at 60fps...

Yeah, even some of those screens look pretty terrible. ePSXe has some plugins that are built specifically with Radeon9800 or better videocards in mind, though, and the results are amazing.

Lyte Edge

Holy crap, what plug-ins do you need to enhance the games like that? Must have them! :)

NotMSRP

Dragona Akehi said:
Hahah this is like me with ZSNES. I can barely get it to work with the default settings. GOD FORBID I put any engines on it. (I've only been using Emulators for games I own, and when I'm not at home, as well to test this POS out.)

The sad part, my laptop's specs:

1.1 AMD4 ghz
384 MB RAM

But I do have a shitty videocard. Some 16MB Trident thing. Bleh. And yes I'm using the latest version of ZSNESWIN. :\

I'd be afraid to even try ePSXe. Though I hear VP, and Grandia look alot better. It'd be nice to play Grandia at 60fps...

My computer is crappier than yours, yet games wonderfully work on ePSXe.

dark10x

neptunes said:
what??, you're not serious are you?

Yes, he is serious. A PC monitor is simply TOO sharp and reveals too many visual flaws. When outputting to a TV, many of these faults are removed yet the image remains much clearer than normal.

But I do have a shitty videocard. Some 16MB Trident thing. Bleh. And yes I'm using the latest version of ZSNESWIN

That's a problem right there. It's all about the videocard, so there is likely nothing you can do. :\ I also have a shit video card in my note taking laptop and can only run Genesis and NES stuff on it. My old P2-450 used to handle ZSNES like a champ, for the record. Heck, old K6-166s were capable of running it well (without any filters, though).

As for framerates, you can't actually increase the framerate while maintaining the correct speeds. The games were not designed to run that fast and the result will be reflected in that. So, if you were to enable 60 fps on a 30 fps game...the game would literally double in speed.

epmode

also, bear in mind that the two games you posted pictures of use prerendered backgrounds. there's not much you can do with them, so the models will always stand out. as the resolution gets higher, it'll look even worse.

with the right settings, wipeout xl is a new game in psxe. it's great to be able to see an upcoming turn instead of an upcoming blur.

Well I'm just happy that I can play at all when I'm on the road and I don't have my SFC handy. (It runs perfectly fine as long as I leave it on the smallest settings.)

I just wish I could output from my Laptop LCD > TV without it constantly jumping. (Flickering I guess.) Probably the vid card again though, I imagine.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Yes, he is serious. A PC monitor is simply TOO sharp and reveals too many visual flaws. When outputting to a TV, many of these faults are removed yet the image remains much clearer than normal.

Thanks. Using ePSXe and playing FF9 with tv-out and graphic filters on made it look alot better than playing on the regular console.

dark10x

neptunes said:
but most of these plugins utilize Direct X which is better than playing the psx on a television, not matter what set-up you have (component, s-cart etc..)

Nooooo, he is talking about outputting your PC to your TV...

hobbitx

Hmm, so what plugins and settings should I be using to get those results? I'm not even looking for super enhanced stuff, just results similar to the first pics.

Lyte Edge

Thanks for the link; I tried it out on Tobal 2 and it worked great. :) Now to find the plug-ins...

Lyte Edge

Yeah, I've got a PS2 controller adaptor, and it works great. It even works almost perfectly with PC versions of PS2 titles like Silent Hill 3 and GTA VC. (Little to no configuring required; the game "knows" what the button layouts are already.)

What plug-ins should I be getting to enhance the visuals? All I have right now is Pete's openGL plugin 2.5...

Lyte Edge

neptunes said:
Look for a direct x plugin, try searching on google.

What I am looking for specifically is a plug-in that will smooth over textures/sprites; a blurred "N64" style texture if you will.

Basically whatever it takes to get the same picture as that FF7 screenshot.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Lyte Edge said:
What I am looking for specifically is a plug-in that will smooth over textures/sprites; a blurred "N64" style texture if you will.

Basically whatever it takes to get the same picture as that FF7 screenshot.

What you want is bi-linear interpolation.

Top Bottom