• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

CyReN

Has anyone pre-ordered on Amazon? I still have:

Delivery estimate We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

I'm interested in what you guys will use control-wise(WISE OMG):

Analog stick or d-pad???

Someone said the underwater levels work better with the analog but many people swear by the d-pad for 2D games.

zroid

Banned

Analog stick or d-pad???

Someone said the underwater levels work better with the analog but many people swear by the d-pad for 2D games.

Haven't played it, but I always find underwater stages to be better with the analogue stick when you're given full 360° control. If it controls like Mario underwater where you have to tap A to propel yourself upward, then the d-pad is better.

It's like with Rayman Origins/Legends, always used d-pad for regular stages, but the stick for underwater ones.

jnWake

DKCR was pretty good on the Wiimote+Nunchuck so I guess the stick will be the way I play. Actually, I just noticed I play every platformer but Mario with the analog stick, weird!

ohlawd

Analog stick or d-pad???

d-pad

I want to use the analog but my thumb naturally gravitates to the d-pad.

I use the analog at first then 30 mins later I look at my hands and my thumb is on the d-pad like "bitch how'd you get there?"

Analog stick or d-pad???

DKCR feels good with analog, smooth and responsive. It's really designed with analog in mind (whereas 2D Mario has - and you have to play with - digital control).

Kinsei

Banned

Analog stick or d-pad???

Analog Stick. It was much better than the d-pad in DKCR and I assume that it will be the same here.

AstroN

Banned
Snow days last week made me forget all about this. It's so close all of the sudden!

I'm extra psyched. DKCR would probably be in my top few favorite games if not for the shake roll/blow. This game seeming to have better music doesn't hurt either. I hope the levels are as fast paced and satisfying.

The 3DS version of DKCR is really great for not needing that shake roll nonsense. I think its only 30fps as compared to 60fps though.

I hope they make a 3DS version of this new one.

VanWinkle

Analog stick or d-pad???

If it allows d-pad movement, DEFINITELY that.

Dpad, feels better in 2D games. You have to choose in settings btw, cant switch on the fly

Now why would they do that? I'd love to know the reasoning behind that.

VanWinkle

The GameXplain review said "it's the best game currently available on the WiiU -- period."

I can believe it.

I'm expecting it to be in SM3DW territory for me; a really fun game that isn't mindblowing in any way (and that's okay! Not every game has to be mindblowing!). Very excited to play it.

emb

The 3DS version of DKCR is really great for not needing that shake roll nonsense. I think its only 30fps as compared to 60fps though.

I hope they make a 3DS version of this new one.
Yeah, I do want to try that out! For me it felt a little early to get a remake, but whenever I replay I think that will be the definitive version that I go for.

The GameXplain review said "it's the best game currently available on the WiiU -- period."

I can believe it.
That's actually a really tall order at this point, after Pikmin 3, W101, and 3D World. We'll see. If this game holds a candle to DKCR, I think it's pretty feasible.

VanWinkle

Yeah, I do want to try that out! For me it felt a little early to get a remake, but whenever I replay I think that will be the definitive version that I go for.

Man, I don't know, I HATED the 3DS version, but I loved the Wii game (despite not liking motion controls at all). The 30fps with drops hindered the gameplay A LOT, and I felt like the controls were sometimes unresponsive, to the point that I often kept wishing I were playing on the Wii version with motion controls. I died so much more often on the 3DS version.

Haines

Banned
Starting to feel the hype for this game and more importantly another classic Nintendo games....this weekend will be fun times....

f@luS

More than a member.
got my game

i dont like the look ( find it a bit blurry/not crisp) , but very fun, played for the first hour

Man, I don't know, I HATED the 3DS version, but I loved the Wii game (despite not liking motion controls at all). The 30fps with drops hindered the gameplay A LOT, and I felt like the controls were sometimes unresponsive, to the point that I often kept wishing I were playing on the Wii version with motion controls. I died so much more often on the 3DS version.

The dude from GameXplain said the 3DS version was indeed unnaturally more difficult because of the framerate.

I would still get it but I have the Wii version and had no problems with the motion controls.

The new levels and portability are enticing but with the new game almost out, I don't know if I will ever get the 3DS version.

Neiteio

I agree that Tropical Freeze has formidable competition for the title "Best WiiU game, period," most notably in the form of Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and TW101.

But this is the sequel to the best 2D platformer ever we're talking about here. Now in HD. With Dave Wise. Online leaderboards. Replay upload. Collectible figurines. And mother***king Cranky Kong.

K' Dash

I finished the 3DS version with all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters, didn't think it was unplayable, controls are tight, I played with the dpad, the game looks beautiful and the 3D is amazing, obviously they had to compromise the framerate, but is an incredible port, loved it.

Ooccoo

They seriously NEED Kremlings back in the series. The Tikis and now Vikings look like shit compared to the badass we had on the SNES. I understand Retro wants to create its own universe but all monsters of the new era are boring. King K. Rool was an iconic vilain and they even stripped Cranky Kong of his personality. I feel like I'm playing a soulless DKC, though having Wise back on track is great.

They seriously NEED Kremlings back in the series. The Tikis and now Vikings look like shit compared to the badass we had on the SNES. I understand Retro wants to create its own universe but all monsters of the new era are boring. King K. Rool was an iconic vilain and they even stripped Cranky Kong of his personality. I feel like I'm playing a soulless DKC, though having Wise back on track is great.

K. Rool is so memorable I don't even remember any of the boss fights against him.

But this is the sequel to the best 2D platformer ever we're talking about here. Now in HD. With Dave Wise. Online leaderboards. Replay upload. Collectible figurines. And mother***king Cranky Kong.

I'm mad at how people seemingly can't realize this. We're speaking of top tier entries in history of videogames, here.

emb

I'm not sure if it will be a problem for me or not. I can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps visually, but in a game that requires tight reactions, I do kinda worry that I might feel it.

= ]

The only thing I remember is something about a freakishly large belly button. Man what was up with that?

k_rool_06.png

emb

I thought the K Rool fight in DKC was memorable. A great theme, and the
credits fakeout
thing.

kunonabi

Analog stick or d-pad???

analog since I'll be using Wiimote and Nunchuk. I typically prefer dpad but DKCR worked pretty well with the analog so I don't mind switching.

Top Bottom