• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

It has nothing to do with that, at least from my perspective.

Loved the old series(even like 3 a lot), I just think the Kremlings are overrated.

They were decent amusing enemies but Rare was never known for its inspired character design.

This. I just have trouble understanding the attachment to these characters. DKC2+3 are some of my favorite platformers (3 being my favorite). I don't particularly think the new enemies in either of the current games are great, but would I prefer the kremlings? Not at all.

They were cool enemies and along with K.Rool obviously people are gonna want them in the new games too. The snowmads are cool in this game so it doesn't particularly bother me but it did in DKCR.

zroid

Banned
I hope Retro's next DKC game has a clan of maniacal but adorable gophers as the enemies

yes they're making another fucking donkey kong, deal with it bitches!

I hope Retro's next DKC game has a clan of maniacal but adorable gophers as the enemies

yes they're making another fucking donkey kong, deal with it bitches!

bd2821a5d984e62f77548938ac9e1d83.jpg

Kriken

Well get to eBay and buy those carts!

And an SNES if you must!

They were on the Wii VC... until 2012
I really didn't get into digital console purchases until last year *Grumble*

Also there are GBA ports of the games as well, I should really try that if they never release them on the Wii U VC

Christopher

It has nothing to do with that, at least from my perspective.

Loved the old series(even like 3 a lot), I just think the Kremlings are overrated.

They were decent amusing enemies but Rare was never known for its inspired character design.

well Retros must be abysmal if you think rares characters were "uninspired"

They were on the Wii VC... until 2012
I really didn't get into digital console purchases until last year *Grumble*

Also there are GBA ports of the games as well, I should really try that if they never release them on the Wii U VC

Not with the GBA's audio. DKC2 and 3's soundtracks are good enough that the GBA ports don't really suffice, in my opinion. Although I guess they're better than not playing them at all.

well Retros must be abysmal if you think rares characters were "uninspired"

Retro's are better.

They actually can make a fucking simple stupid ostrich memorable but the way it animates, sounds and even looks in all its goofiness.

Rare gets shit on all the time for their character designs as I pointed out but I'm not even one of those that does it often as they are usually decent.

But while they haven't gotten to show it so far too much, Retro's character design to me is easily better.

I like their style.

The Tikis were throwaway wallpaper enemies so they couldn't do much with them but even their basic enemies, I liked better than many of Rare's.

I can't say about the Snomads as I haven't really seen them in action but I'm glad they are using their minds and imaginations and not recycling/rehashing old enemies.

Now THAT would be lazy.

Kriken

Not with the GBA's audio. DKC2 and 3's soundtracks are good enough that the GBA ports don't really suffice, in my opinion. Although I guess they're better than not playing them at all.

Ripsaw Rage comes to mind for DKC 3 :/ I know it's not the same soundtrack, but it's an example of the GBA port being meh

I'll admit I miss K. Rool, but other than him I miss the Gnawtys most. Those guys were hilarious.

Can't wait to play this. Great OT.

Oh, do we know if the Gamepad control setup will have a run/pick up button the way the old games did (and DKCR did with sideways Wiimote)?

Neiteio

Super Mario 3D World was No. 1 on Amazon during the holidays and went on to be... the worst-selling 3D Mario to date. :-\

Lijik

The GBA version of DKC3 is interesting if you want to track it down. Wise had to redo the entire soundtrack because Eveline Fischer's original wouldnt work on the GBA. In tone the new soundtrack is like a spiritual predecessor to his work on Tropical Freeze

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone here beat DKCR on mirror mode or DKC3 on TUFST mode? If so will you tackle hard mode in Tropical Freeze?

For myself the answer is yes to all 3 questions.

For me the toughest level in each game were Jagged Jewels (DKCR) and Lightning Lookout (DKC3)

braves01

Banned
Anyone here beat DKCR on mirror mode or DKC3 on TUFST mode? If so will you tackle hard mode in Tropical Freeze?

For me the toughest level in each game were Jagged Jewels (DKCR) and Lightning Lookout (DKC3)

Yes to the first one.

I don't know to the second. It sounds really hard. I needed those checkpoints to get all the Kong letters in mirror mode.

I beat Returns on Mirror Mode and yes, I will tackle hard mode for sure.

I want to know what the secret unlockables are in TF !!!

I was going to say the same. The well done GT TV review mentioned it, but said Nintendo wouldnt allow them to reveal it, just yet.

Maybe a remake of the retro DK game? That may be too much to ask, but we got something similar, in 3d world.

Deku Tree

I was going to say the same. The well done GT TV review mentioned it, but said Nintendo wouldnt allow them to reveal it, just yet.

Maybe a remake of the retro DK game? That may be too much to ask, but we got something similar, in 3d world.

If it was that good they would be telling everyone.

braves01

Banned

Remixed DKCR levels in HD? That'd be cool.

I want to know what the secret unlockables are in TF !!!

When you collect all the KONG letters of each world you unlock a K level (one per world, a total of 6). When you've completed each K level you unlock a seventh island with 3 challenging levels. After that, you unlock the Hard Mode (only one heart, no checkpoints, and no buddies, but you can choose playing as Diddy, Dixie or Cranky).

Neiteio

The game's already been out for some days now in Japan. We already know the unlockables.
Seventh island with three super-hard levels, which you unlock by doing the K-levels to collect seven gifts. Then you unlock Hard mode, which gives DK one heart and removes buddies, checkpoints, etc.

Deku Tree

When you collect all the KONG letters of each world you unlock a K level (one per world, a total of 6). When you've completed each K level you unlock a seventh island with 3 challenging levels. After that, you unlock the Hard Mode (only one heart, no checkpoints, and no buddies, but you can choose playing as Diddy, Dixie or Cranky).

How do you know that?

Edit: oh the game is already out in Japan.

RaidenZR

Has anyone else received any BS email from Amazon with a sudden later-than-release-day delivery confirmation? I just got notified that I'd get it on the 25th despite having Prime and it pre-ordered for months.

Deku Tree

Has anyone else received any BS email from Amazon with a sudden later-than-release-day delivery confirmation? I just got notified that I'd get it on the 25th despite having Prime and it pre-ordered for months.

Yeah I cancelled my Amazon order today. Going gamestop.

orborborb

It just occurred to me that my hype for this game has to be the reason I've ordered two Taco Bell Tropical Punch Freezes over the last few days and then even looked up a video for how to turn a can of soda into a similar drink. Shake it well before putting it into your freezer for 3 and a half hours undisturbed, open it carefully and it will remain liquid while you pour but as soon as the ice crystals have something to latch onto they will form before your eyes making a slush. I recommend Cactus Cooler as the soda.

I just pre-ordered this today. What on earth am I going to play until Friday to keep me busy? I can't safely sustain this expanded dong for four more days in a row.

Gah, I'm so excited. This looks infinitely better than Returns (because I disliked both the music and enemies in that game,) and the original DKC series is one of my favorite trilogies of all time.

Hype get!

I wonder if there is anything you get for beating
the game on hard mode
. I certainly hope so.

Top Bottom