• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

the secret exit in Panicky Paddles (5-4)...

is bullshit

But I still managed to get it, sanity intact. For those who don't know/remember, it's the one where you have to get Dixie through to the end, while the level has way more various ways to lose health than most other levels, and the only kong barrel is right at the beginning. I might be a bit strict on myself for not using any powerups but DAMN YOU whoever at Retro designed that specific challenge

Yeah, that one is super rough. There'd be a number of situations where I just about made it and do something REALLY DUMB right where I needed to be.

the secret exit in Panicky Paddles (5-4)...

is bullshit

But I still managed to get it, sanity intact. For those who don't know/remember, it's the one where you have to get Dixie through to the end, while the level has way more various ways to lose health than most other levels, and the only kong barrel is right at the beginning. I might be a bit strict on myself for not using any powerups but DAMN YOU whoever at Retro designed that specific challenge

I freakin' hate that one.

maxcriden

If you dislike that, you won't be terribly happy about world 6's exit, though.

That one was tricky for me. Another one I found pretty difficult was in 4-A. I did it with Cranky but I have a feeling Dixie would have been a bit easier.
It was reaching the vine above the jumping spiked balls that really threw me for a loop.

maxcriden

My wife has no idea Hard Mode exists. When we unlock it I'm really curious how much convincing it will take her to play through it with me. I've already kind of convinced her to play through 3DW in hard runs (no coins, power-ups, enemies, or any of the above, with each character separately) but we haven't gotten to it yet.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I may have missed it, but has anyone uploaded the full soundtrack for this? I'd love a good quality mp3 or lossless download if anyone's got it...Thanks!

daripad

Skowl on hard mode kicked my ass. Otherwise it's been surprisingly easy through two worlds. Might actually be able to do it.

Yes, normal levels have been easier than I expected, but the boss fights are too hard for me in hard mode. I need to practice more. Meanwhile I'm in World 3 already

braves01

Banned
So after finally getting some time with this game, I'm about 2 worlds in and have some thoughts:

• I'd heard a lot of it before even playing, so this is more redundant confirmation than anything: the soundtrack is fantastic and fits the game very well. I doubt it will be topped this year.
  • Cranky and Dixie are meaningful additions to the DKCR formula and are quite fun to use. Overall, It really feels like Retro has nicely expanded the already fantastic mechanics of the series
  • Even if this game's visuals are not "next-gen" technically, they're certainly among the industry's best from an artistic standpoint. It seriously looks amazing on my TV.
  • Load times haven't been as bad as I was expecting.
  • I'm thankful nothing was shoehorned into the game on account of the gamepad, but it's still disappointing it's not used at all. It could've at least shown the summary of puzzle pieces / kong letters in each level, or even had miiverse posts scroll by.

MrBlonde

I'm getting a Wii u for Mario kart but I am tempted to pick one up now to play this and Mario 3d. I have heard this game can be tough, just how tough is it? I dont want to get frustrated with it. I'll be playing co op with my fiancee

daripad

I'm getting a Wii u for Mario kart but I am tempted to pick one up now to play this and Mario 3d. I have heard this game can be tough, just how tough is it? I dont want to get frustrated with it. I'll be playing co op with my fiancee

Have you played Returns? This game is easier but if you think is too difficult you can buy items to make it easier and more enjoyable if you get easily frustrated.

I can't talk about co-op since no ona plays with me lol

dkeane

Having the strangest time with this game.
I turn it on and struggle through a level, raging at how many times I die . . . but I finally beat it and it feels SO good.
Then I turn it off and repeat the next day.
I'm loving it though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Son (just turned 5) has graduated onto this after finishing Mario 2d/3d ... Only started yesterday and he's having a hard time lol. World 2-5

Lots of sighs and frustration - but he loves it

Have to say - as someone who didn't bother with the SNES games I'm pretty impressed with the game too. I only picked this up on a whim as well - glad I did

Neiteio

I turn it on and struggle through a level, raging at how many times I die . . . but I finally beat it and it feels SO good.
I'm loving it though.
That's because struggling through a well-designed challenge with well-crafted mechanics is quite a satisfying process. By virtue of good design, you will inevitably get better and eventually prevail... which is a wonderful feeling. It's why the Dark Souls series is so popular. The task mastery of managing your different traversal skills in an obstacle course meant to rigorously test them... It's beautiful. :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm loving it though.

welcome to the DKCR experience, we've all been throught that

I suggest, however, a punching bag for when you're going to get to the later levels

lingpanda

You will get frustrated so I suggest bouncing back and forth between this and 3D World. Beating this game will will make you feel like the man though. :)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Whew, thought Irate Eight was going to be much more difficult on hard mode with DK. Wasn't that bad honestly.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
After playing this more and more over the past few weeks, I think it's time I start discussing the possibility that this has been the best 2D platforming experience I've ever had. Some of these levels are leagues ahead of the closest modern platforming competitors, and then adding in World 6 where nostalgia is thrown in as well... it just can't be beat.

I'll need to wait a few months to see how it settles, but this game is up there. It gets better and better the more you play, too, which is usually the opposite for 2D platformers in my experience.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I wasn't expecting that at all in High Tide Ride (4-2).

The underwater levels are easily my least favorite part of the game. Levels with a little swimming are okay, but the ones that are entirely or almost entirely swimming are blah.

NEO0MJ

The underwater levels are easily my least favorite part of the game. Levels with a little swimming are okay, but the ones that are entirely or almost entirely swimming are blah.

Yeah, they kinda drag the game down. Don't know why devs feel that they're required, water levels have always been the worst part of any platformer.

Fess

Okay I guess I'll stop complaining now that Retro aren't focusing on Metroid. This is the best game I've played on WiiU and possibly any nextgen console, easily one of the best looking ones too. Hats off!

mstevens

I'm loving it though.

I'm going through the game similarly. For some reason, the most frustrating levels so far were a couple in World 2 (I'm on 4-3 right now), but I usually play two levels to 100% completion and then call it a day. It's actually been a pretty fun way to go through the game and it's growing on me every play session.

Just finished High Tide Ride a few minutes ago. I'm not usually a huge fan of mine cart levels, but that was a blast.

NEO0MJ

Just finished High Tide Ride a few minutes ago. I'm not usually a huge fan of mine cart levels, but that was a blast.

While I'm a fan of most Mine Cart levels, I found that one exceptionally good. I love the music in that level, especially how it changes with the level.

_Isaac

So yesterday I finally got to play a good chunk of multiplayer. I can't seem to find anybody else that is interested in this game, so my six-year-old cousin would have to do. Maybe it's because he's young and keeps dying, but the game is much harder with two player mode. You frequently have less access to certain abilities because the other person is usually running around on their own too, and you really just hemorrhage so many lives. When we started I had about 90 or so red balloons, but after two or three levels we were down to fifty, and that was without getting the collectibles. The multiplayer in this game so far just doesn't seem as fun as Mario multiplayer.

Oidisco

I'm just gonna ask this here:

I've never played Returns and after playing TF, I really want to go back try it out. So should I get the Wii or 3DS version? I know the Wii version looks better and has a much better framerate, but the motion controls might ruin it. On the other hand, playing the 3DS for too long can hurt my arms, plus it has extra levels and lessens the frustration or Barrel Rocket stages.
I'm a bit conflicted so halp!

jnWake

I've never played Returns and after playing TF, I really want to go back try it out. So should I get the Wii or 3DS version? I know the Wii version looks better and has a much better framerate, but the motion controls might ruin it. On the other hand, playing the 3DS for too long can hurt my arms, plus it has extra levels and lessens the frustration or Barrel Rocket stages.

I'd go for Wii. You're used to 60fps now and 30fps would totally ruin you I think. Besides, the motion isn't that bad, only a bit tiring if you do the time trials!

Man, Irate Eight in Hard Mode/Time Trial is very hard. I got a record 10 seconds from the WR and I'm #8 in the Leaderboards, that must mean something.

maxcriden

I'll offer a counterpoint to the above poster. I should say I'm not someone who notices the differences significantly between 30 fps and 60 fps. I mean, I can tell the difference, but it doesn't bother me much. I liked DKCR Wii okay, but I absolutely love DKCR 3D. If it hurts your arms, just play it in shorter bursts. It's an amazing game. The framerate and lessened graphics are far outweighed IMO by the ability to use normal controls. You have TF though, so you have an easy way to decide. Just play some TF with the Wiimote. If you like the motion controls then go with the Wii version, the extra levels are fun but not crucial. If you don't, I would strongly recommend the 3DS version.

(BTW, how does the 3DS version lessen the frustration of Rocket Barrel stages?)

I'll need to wait a few months to see how it settles, but this game is up there. It gets better and better the more you play, too, which is usually the opposite for 2D platformers in my experience.

Probably because mastery of the roll jump completely alters your perception of a level's design. It adds a ton of depth to the game.

Mlatador

Banned

This is actually what I've experienced as well. The gameplay mechanics are so refined - it's amazing.

Just finished world 3. My god, I'm still shocked how FUCKING GOOD this game looks! World 3 was so beautiful. Some of those levels are really intense! The music accompanies them perfectly as well. David Wise definitely knows how to get me pumped up.

Tropical Freeze is just such a rich game in every regard!

Playing in Co-Op is great, too, IMHO, because you really have to work together. But I can see how lesser experienced gamers could have problems with that, because it requires taking extra care of each other. It also helps if both players are at the same level skillwise.

Playing in Co-Op is great, too IMHO, because you really have to work together. But I can see how lesser experienced gamers could have problems with that, because it requires taking extra care of each other. It also helps if both players are at the same level skillwise.

Don't I know it :) Been playing co-op with my 9 year old son and man, he just hangs me out to dry (I play as Donkey and he usually plays as Cranky). Playing with someone who doesn't wait for you if you're slightly behind for example, is as frustrating as hell. I'm gradually teaching him to slow the hell down and work together but boy is it ever frustrating...

Oidisco

I'll offer a counterpoint to the above poster. I should say I'm not someone who notices the differences significantly between 30 fps and 60 fps. I mean, I can tell the difference, but it doesn't bother me much. I liked DKCR Wii okay, but I absolutely love DKCR 3D. If it hurts your arms, just play it in shorter bursts. It's an amazing game. The framerate and lessened graphics are far outweighed IMO by the ability to use normal controls. You have TF though, so you have an easy way to decide. Just play some TF with the Wiimote. If you like the motion controls then go with the Wii version, the extra levels are fun but not crucial. If you don't, I would strongly recommend the 3DS version.

(BTW, how does the 3DS version lessen the frustration of Rocket Barrel stages?)
I completely forgot about Wiimote controls for TF! That's a great idea. And I thought I'd read somewhere that Rocket Barrel stages were improved somehow on the 3DS. Maybe it was just having an extra heart or something.

Anyways the framerate is the main that's conflicting for the 3DS really, since I do notice it and I can certainly see it bothering me. If I do find the motion controls comfortable I'll just get the Wii version I think. If not then I guess I'll get the 3DS version. The framerate might bother me but it wont make it much less fun for me. Thanks for the answer anyways (and the other poster too).

Mlatador

Banned
Don't I know it :) Been playing co-op with my 9 year old son and man, he just hangs me out to dry (I play as Donkey and he usually plays as Cranky). Playing with someone who doesn't wait for you if you're slightly behind for example, is as frustrating as hell. I'm gradually teaching him to slow the hell down and work together but boy is it ever frustrating...

I see! ^^ Well, in the later levels he'll find out that running too fast and not waiting for each other won't lead to much - the hard way - as the game is quite notorious for punishing people who do exactly that :)

Either way, hope you both make it to the end!

maxcriden

I completely forgot about Wiimote controls for TF! That's a great idea. And I thought I'd read somewhere that Rocket Barrel stages were improved somehow on the 3DS. Maybe it was just having an extra heart or something.

Anyways the framerate is the main that's conflicting for the 3DS really, since I do notice it and I can certainly see it bothering me. If I do find the motion controls comfortable I'll just get the Wii version I think. If not then I guess I'll get the 3DS version. The framerate might bother me but it wont make it much less fun for me. Thanks for the answer anyways (and the other poster too).

Oh yes, I think that's in Easy Mode. In normal mode the levels are identical to in DKCR Wii. Personally if you can try out a copy of DKCR 3D somehow I think you'll get a good feel for what the 30 fps feels like. It's honestly IMO not bad at all because it kinda fits with DK's lumbering movements. If you don't like the motion controls I would really encourage you to check out the 3DS version, it's one of the most impressive games on the system.

jnWake

I haven't played DKCR3D but I can imagine the time trials being a pain in the ass, especially if you're used to doing TT in DKCTF, that's why I said the fps comment. For casual play I guess it doesn't matter.

maxcriden

I haven't played DKCR3D but I can imagine the time trials being a pain in the ass, especially if you're used to doing TT in DKCTF, that's why I said the fps comment. For casual play I guess it doesn't matter.

You're 100% right about the time trials, they're friggin' impossible on DKCR 3D. :(

--

On a totally unrelated note, I'm really not into Shoal Atoll. I think it's far and away the one real misstep in the game and the worst level I've played. I appreciate what they were trying to do but I just don't think it worked. I'm glad this is the only level like this (AFAIK).

Oidisco

I think I'm the only one that liked Shoal Atoal. It's my least favourite water level, but I still found it to be enjoyable.

Lijik

Is Shoal Atoll the maze one? Because I liked the idea behind it but the maze itself was really weak. It was a cool throwback to Rareware style water levels but the layout could have been better

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

framerate issues on DKCR 3D are really blown out of proportion around here, game is perfectly fine with just minor slowdowns here and there. I avoided the Wii version because the controls really killed it for me, and enjoyed the 3DS version very much, its a gem of a game i felt damn bad for missing it and was super happy to know they were making a port

jnWake

I'm 0.2 seconds from the WR in 4-5 (the one with the bombs) but I can't nail a damn trick with the barrels. Oh well, being second isn't bad either but I was so close ;_;

Ryunohadouken

Neo Member
ive found every puzzle piece and kong letter, but i cant beat the final boss!! im gonna give it a rest for a couple of days, play some titanfall, then go back...lol

Top Bottom