• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Mlatador

Banned
I love the world 5 boss! What an awesome fight! Some of his attacks are similar to high level mind-games in fighting games (don't know how else to describe it). He's so mean... lol :D He tricked me real good a couple of times! Especially the last attack pattern
when he shoots his ice-attacks 3 times very fast, so you barely manage to jump over them, then actually feints the 4 shot to make you jump, only to then surprise you with a SLOW shot, which gets you 100%, because you've already - instinctively - jumped. After getting hit, I thought: "Ok, I got you now!" and prepared myself for the next slow shot, since I didn't want to prematurely jump into his attack again, but immediately found myself hit by another FAST shot... LOL! I bursted out laughing because I can't remember the last time a videogame boss tricked me so nicely xD

Retro really did an amazing job with the bosses! They are legitimately an interesting challenge and not just there for you to be beaten. They want to fuck you up, haha! :D

Based Retro!!! :3

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I love the world 5 boss! What an awesome fight! Some of his attacks are similar to high level mind-games in fighting games (don't know how else to describe it). He's so mean... lol :D He tricked me real good a couple of times! Especially the last attack pattern
when he shoots his ice-attacks 3 times very fast, so you barely manage to jump over them, then actually feints the 4 shot to make you jump, only to then surprise you with a SLOW shot, which gets you 100%, because you've already - instinctively - jumped. After getting hit, I thought: "Ok, I got you now!" and prepared myself for the next slow shot, since I didn't want to prematurely jump into his attack again, but immediately found myself hit by another FAST shot... LOL! I bursted out laughing because I can't remember the last time a videogame boss tricked me so nicely xD

Retro really did an amazing job with the bosses! They are legitimately an interesting challenge and not just there for you to be beaten. They want to fuck you up, haha! :D

Based Retro!!! :3

Actually the slow shot can be done at random. He could use it at any time, but he seems to often use it last or next to last.

dkeane

Finally had more time this weekend to play this. WOW this game is so great. The challenge is perfect. In the middle of world 5. I'm addicted now.

jnWake

I lost my record in stage 4-5 by 0.05 seconds! ;_;

In revenge for that I stole the record of 5-3...

zlCfzRydXPsFdT5fHI

... by 0.09 seconds! My run has some sloppy parts though so I don't expect it to last much.

Also, congrats Oidisco on getting on the Windmill Hills top 8. I find that stage pretty annoying to speed run, the timing inside the big windmill is a pain in the butt. My time in that stage isn't that good (like 3-4 seconds off the WR).

Mlatador

Banned
I'm now 6th in Windmill Hills top ranks. I'm so proud of myself

zlCfzRydXPsFdT5fHI

... by 0.09 seconds! My run has some sloppy parts though so I don't expect it to last much.

Also, congrats Oidisco on getting on the Windmill Hills top 8. I find that stage pretty annoying to speed run, the timing inside the big windmill is a pain in the butt. My time in that stage isn't that good (like 3-4 seconds off the WR).

Very nice guys! You're making Gaf proud. Nice to see people around here know how to play the games and not only know how to talk about them! :p

Oidisco

zlCfzRydXPsFdT5fHI

I played through Windmill Hills well over 100 times just to get the timing down for the big windmill section, and even then I can't reliably do it. The rest of the level is a cakewalk though.
Very nice guys! You're making Gaf proud. Nice to see people around here know how to play the games and not only know how to talk about them! :p
Thanks, besides Busted Bayou and Windmill Hills I'm not taking Time Attack too seriously. I want to get through Hard mode 1st and collect all Puzzle Pieces before I attempt any speedruns.

_Isaac

So I passed the last k level yesterday, and unlocked World 7. It looks like it's a whole world with just incredibly hard levels, so I think I'm done with this game for now. [:
It's truly a fantastic game, and I had a blast. Go Retro!

So I passed the last k level yesterday, and unlocked World 7. It looks like it's a whole world with just incredibly hard levels, so I think I'm done with this game for now. [:

There are only 3 levels(I think).

They're kind of like the K levels but definitely not much harder.

gotoadgo

It's only three levels and they aren't really that difficult.

It's only
levels. And they are about on par with the K levels in terms of difficulty. If you played the Golden Temple in DKCR you pretty much know what to expect here.

Edit: Beaten twice haha.

_Isaac

It's only
levels. And they are about on par with the K levels in terms of difficulty. If you played the Golden Temple in DKCR you pretty much know what to expect here.

Edit: Beaten twice haha.

I never beat the Golden Temple, which is why I was thinking of just giving up.

Alright then I'll give these a shot. I really only tried the first level once.

AnnTiPa

Just completed the game, including the extra levels.

After NSMBU and 3D World I was ready to give up on platformers as they both were utterly disappointing. However, my faith in platformers has been resurrected thanks to DKCR. Excellent level design, great music and challenging enough. I might give the hard mode a try later if I can find the time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just when you thought you couldn't love a rocket stage, you play 5-2 Reckless Ride. Awesome theme, great design. All of 5 thematically is kind of cool

Just when you thought you couldn't love a rocket stage, you play 5-2 Reckless Ride. Awesome theme, great design. All of 5 thematically is kind of cool

I always loved the rocket levels... but I feel that that level is the ultimate climax of what Retro wanted to achieve with that style of gameplay. The camera angle actually helps in the sense that you can see what's coming from further away. And yes, the concept of Juicy Jungle was awesome, and some of the best 2D platforming ever.

smuf

Do you unlock anything by going through hard mode? Not sure if I want to go throughout the trouble, normal mode was hard enough as it is.

Bought a Wii U on Monday because I've been having some stressful days at work and decided to do some retail therapy. Also bought this since DKC: TF was the primary game I wanted a Wii U for, and gotta say I'm loving it. Totally makes the system purchase worthwhile.

The music so far has been amazing. Really love the World 1 and World 2 boss themes, although Irate Eight is probably my favorite overall track(s?) so far. My favorite overall levels are the two mine cart levels (of course the mine cart levels have always been my favorite in any DKC game) and I really love the Sawmill Thrill theme.

The only problem I've had with this game is how easy it is to get extra lives. I've had 99 lives since the beginning of World 3 without even using any banana coins to buy them. Some of the levels have been challenging, but I don't think I've dipped below 95 or 96 total lives since hitting max. Other than that, A+ game.

Oidisco

Getting so close to finishing the game on Hard Mode, just about 10 stages left. I said it earlier but it really hasn't been that difficult outside of a couple of stages, and that was usually because I made some really stupid mistakes.

As soon as I have all Puzzle Pieces and Hard Mode completed, I'm gonna try and get Shiny Golds in Time Attack, and then just maybe attempt a Speed-Run of the game!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Bought a Wii U on Monday because I've been having some stressful days at work and decided to do some retail therapy. Also bought this since DKC: TF was the primary game I wanted a Wii U for, and gotta say I'm loving it. Totally makes the system purchase worthwhile.

The music so far has been amazing. Really love the World 1 and World 2 boss themes, although Irate Eight is probably my favorite overall track(s?) so far. My favorite overall levels are the two mine cart levels (of course the mine cart levels have always been my favorite in any DKC game) and I really love the Sawmill Thrill theme.

The only problem I've had with this game is how easy it is to get extra lives. I've had 99 lives since the beginning of World 3 without even using any banana coins to buy them. Some of the levels have been challenging, but I don't think I've dipped below 95 or 96 total lives since hitting max. Other than that, A+ game.

have you tried the K levels? These lives will come in handy

have you tried the K levels? These lives will come in handy

Nah, I haven't done the bonus levels yet. Just playing regularly through to begin with, and after I beat it I'll go back and collect all the stuffs and do the extra levels. Good to know they're challenging, though.

gotoadgo

They'll dip if you decide to do hard mode.

Sagitario

I didn't enjoy most of world 4. I would have preferred a mine cart island [like Returns' Cave].

And I am liking world 6 a lot, but it made me miss some themes and areas from Returns. I wish the game had a few more levels.

Mlatador

Banned

Try to collect all the KONG letters to unlock the K-levels (they alone will drain you lives like crazy) + try to collect all the Puzzle Pieces.

I also feel that the high amount of lives is a preparation for the hard mode of the game. I'm not there yet, but feel that I'm gonna be very thankful for every life I have. Wait... do you even keep your lives (from normal mode) when going to hard mode??

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Try to collect all the KONG letters to unlock the K-levels (they alone will drain you lives like crazy) + try to collect all the Puzzle Pieces.

I also feel that the high amount of lives is a preparation for the hard mode of the game. I'm not there yet, but feel that I'm gonna be very thankful for every life I have. Wait... do you even keep your lives (from normal mode) when going to hard mode??

Yeah, you do.

I didn't enjoy most of world 4. I would have preferred a mine cart island [like Returns' Cave].

And I am liking world 6 a lot, but it made me miss some themes and areas from Returns. I wish the game had a few more levels.

Going into it I was worried about the length, but considering the massive length and detail to most of the levels, I thought the amount of content was perfect. I recently have been playing through 3D World again, and those levels are VERY short for the most part. Tropical Freeze's are probably twice the length and five times the detail.

Yes, you keep your lives.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think this is tied with The Wonderful 101 as my favourite game on the system. Will be on my GOTY list fo sho.

javac

I think this is tied with The Wonderful 101 as my favourite game on the system. Will be on my GOTY list fo sho.

I bought TW101 at launch, played like a few levels and never played it again. I've started again yesterday and I'm just on operation 002. It's fun but frustrating at times. DKCTF is sublime. Couldn't stop playing it. Felt bad finally taking the disc out and popping in 101 but it had to be done.

First level in World 3 has the best music. The level gave me NSMB vibes.

Shame about the bosses, I think they are the weakest part of the game...they really drag out the fights.

World 6 is really great. If there's one thing I love about this game (there's a lot) but if there's one thing that stands out is how alive the DK world feels. It reminds me a lot of dKC2 and dkc3, levels don't feel completely random and are visible in the world map, there's a sense of progression and just looking at world 6 having altered layouts and references to Returns, it's just really cool.

Lynq

Banned
Best 2D platformer I've played since... I don't even remember. Everything is great here - level design, challenge, awesome music, animation quality. Perfect mix.

But, with that said - enough, Retro. Please make something new now for Wii U :)

phanphare

Banned

I really need to get back into W101. still trying to 100% Tropical Freeze. definitely on my GotY list but honestly it's one of the best games I've played period. hit all the right notes for my tastes.

Lkr

This game is just flat out beautiful. Started playing with a friend last night, we are struggling with the first world!

Top Bottom