• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

It is so unfair that all these people have broken street date versions of the game that they are playing... and taunting us...

Not long now. These last months have been brutal for me, especially since I've been on a media blackout. It just hit me today though I will be playing this in two fucking days!

Not long now. These last months have been brutal for me, especially since I've been on a media blackout. It just hit me today though I will be playing this in two fucking days!

Tell me about it. I just want the damn game to come out so I can stop being so hyped all the time. It's keeping me up at night :l

Good news though - Amazon has my order as "shipping now" so it should arrive on Friday. Don't know what the deal was with release date delivery a few days ago.

I'm so happy I didn't hear anything of the soundtrack, this makes it more magical. The game is Returns on steroids, the adventure vibe is really strong imho. In a review I read that you can see many recycled things but I find it generally wrong, some sound effects aside (really just some of them). Loading times are annoying but nothing like Lego City and the first boss was ok, nothing special. The rest is just better and the level design feels damn good.

oatmeal

Banned
I haven't been planning on getting this...but then the Best Buy eShop card deal, mixed with the fact that I love DKC 1/2 (I didn't own 3...and never bought it before it went down on the Wii VC :( )...and there's no waggle bullshit...I think I'm in.

I have DKCR but played like 2 levels...I just didn't care about the damn waggling.

It doesn't have "Country" in it but the Japanese logo is so much better than the US one.

Sad times. Why is NOA so terrybulllllllll

I would imagine that the weather in Japan played a part in the disappointing retail sales. Someone had mentioned the snow over there and when I looked into it... yeah. I wouldn't fuck with that shit for Dankey Kang either

JoeM86

I would imagine that the weather in Japan played a part in the disappointing retail sales. Someone had mentioned the snow over there and when I looked into it... yeah. I wouldn't fuck with that shit for Dankey Kang either

When I mentioned that for the inverse around Pikmin, I got trashed and have a usertag :(

I wouldn't say it affected it too much, no moreso than the polar vortex did sales in the US of everything last month

Peff

The new barrel-based bonus stage is annoying :( Weird, considering the rest are generally easier than DKCR's. Levels themselves are great so far, though I'm not sure what the point of the alternate exits is when you have to play the standard level afterwards anyway, lol.

NotLiquid

Only a day for Europe now

Hyperoll

Donkey Kong Country Tokyo Freeze

When I mentioned that for the inverse around Pikmin, I got trashed and have a usertag :(

I wouldn't say it affected it too much, no moreso than the polar vortex did sales in the US of everything last month

public transportation doe. It's all fucked up.

We don't need to worry about much of that here in US cities because barons liberated us long ago from concepts like quality public transportation or not spending shit tons on their oil products to go anywhere

Feindflug

I was hoping that my copy will be here tomorrow but no luck...oh well. :(

To the ladies and gentlemen who have the game already:
Have fun and post more impressions! ^_^

Kouriozan

It just wasn't going to sell, period. Wii U owners don't buy software, not even Nintendo software. DKC didn't change that.
But I bought every first party games released (with Lego City) + Rayman/Sonic/ZombiU/MH3U/WO3 = 14 games without counting eShop :(
First console I'm buying so much games in its first year.

Edit : forgot W101 >.<

Peff

Hey, I also buy...

Do puzzle pieces add to your percentage in this game? They are actually harder this time around.

I''m not sure, but I hope it doesn't count Funky's Gachapon machine. I don't know what genius at Nintendo thinks getting virtual repeats in stuff like this or Mii Puzzle is a good idea unless there's a risk/reward mechanic like in Melee.

Xun

I'm not scheduled to get my copy from Amazon till Monday at the earliest, apparently.

I have plenty of games to play, but fuck this.

Deku Tree

I'm not scheduled to get my copy from Amazon till Monday at the earliest, apparently.

Sucks. I cancelled my Amazon and decided to pick it up at Gamestop. TRU also will give you a $10 GC.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
02./00. [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985) - 35.717 / NEW

ibd7LSkNDZMh25.gif

Should've been on 3DS

At the fifth boss. Almost beat him on my first try. World wasn't too exciting, or maybe it was just the soundtrack that didn't stick with me. Game is still (too) easy. I'm beginning to think that while DKC:TF has the better levels overall and the much better soundtrack, DKCR felt a bit more novel and had some really great platforming.

Have you been unlocking the temple levels? Collecting puzzle pieces? A lot of the challenge of DKCR game from trying to nab the dangerously placed collectables.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Very close to wrapping up DKCR 3D 100% finally before this releases. Only a few more puzzle pieces in world 8(and the final 'K' level) before unlocking the bonus 9th world and whatever else. Hoping I can do it before this launches. Screw the time trials though.

Really been enjoying DKCR the last couple months, the levels are mostly fantastic and filled with great dexterital challenges, especially nabbing the collectibles. Kind of a shame to read that TF is both easier and a few worlds shorter.

Very close to wrapping up DKCR 3D 100% finally before this releases. Only a few more puzzle pieces in world 8(and the final 'K' level) before unlocking the bonus 9th world and whatever else. Hoping I can do it before this launches. Screw the time trials though.

Really been enjoying DKCR the last couple months, the levels are mostly fantastic and filled with great dexterital challenges, especially nabbing the collectibles. Kind of a shame to read that TF is both easier and a few worlds shorter.

There was no World 9 in the original Wii game. And the level count isn't that far off,
to DKCR's 72, with levels in TF are said to be longer. So overall it is a similar amount of content.

Peff

I think It's not so much that the game is easier but rather that we're used to the peculiarities of the engine, like the hitboxes, the recycled gimmicks or the way bouncing from enemies work. Even so, It's true that the game doesn't really feel challenging so far, and obviously the rocket barrel and minecart levels are more lenient now that you have two hearts. What I've noticed is that even though blowing is gone, it's been replaced with similarly obscure, one-note stuff like collecting disappearing sets of bananas or killing all enemies in an area, which is a shame. That and once again having six-ish bonus stages for the entire game, but at least they're new.

maxcriden

Xun, have you contacted Amazon CS? In the US they're usually really good about this. They may still be able to fix it for you with one day shipping going out to you tomorrow.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm still not sure wether or not I'm getting this one. I much prefer the style of the SNES Rare DKC games... but my Wii U could use a break from being a Youtube/Netflix box.

I buy software on my Wii U.

Some people do. There's, what, five to six million owners out there? What games are they waiting for? Wind Waker sold to 1/6th of the entire install base, Mario sold to 1/3rd, which are only impressive ratios for the low numbers.

Donkey Kong didn't have the appeal (a-peel) of those games. It was not lauded as one of the best games of the year by the press audience. There weren't articles going "Hey, the Wii U has an amazing lineup this season." It was never going to do as well as games that already didn't do well because, at most, one third of the audience will buy any given game for the system and it has to be widely considered to be one of the best games of the generation to even muster up that number.

Got the game here in Spain. It is just as amazing as a Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel is expected to be. Sure the impact is low compared to its prequel, but the level design is brilliant and all in the game is crafted with passion to detail and love. I think it looks way better than in the shown videos and I find it myself pretty more impressive than Super Mario 3D World. Cranky's animations are hilarious.

I spent nearly two and a half hours on the first level time trial, but now I can proudly say that I have earned my first Shiny Gold medal of the game. I've uploaded the video of the run, so if anyone is interested:

1-1 Mangrove Cove - Shiny Gold (01:39,89)

Peff

Oh, looks like K levels (or at least the first one) have a Diddy/Dixie/Cranky barrel at the beginning. Hopefully it means that they are designed with that in mind and it's not just saving time for those who reset after dying the first time :p

Top Bottom