• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

maxcriden

Xr6cWLH.png

It's not perfect and I might come up with something better when it's not 1am and I have more time.

Love it! Thank you!

The Boat

I don't think the game is easier than Returns. This kind of thing is hard to gauge, but I actually think it starts harder. Since levels are big, they're sort of self contained in the sense that they have their own, fleshed out difficulty curve. Some things, like the rocket barrels are more fair, but I honestly think it's about the same, maybe even a bit trickier and definitely starts harder. The things is, people who played the first already have that under their belt and they compare the difficulty of starting this game with the one in 100%ing the last one since those are the last things we did when we played it. That and when someone is a good player and is actively looking for a challenge, everything seems easier. There should be no worries that this game is easy.

I just finished the game, but I have loads of alternate levels to unlock as I only found to secret exits and now I still have loads of puzzle pieces and kong letters, which is the real way to see where the game is really hard.

MrBadger

Did it not? I've been contemplating getting it... Does it run better with 3D turned off?

I found it to be perfectly playable. However, it obviously runs better on Wii. The 3DS version runs at 30fps and I found it to have the occasional framerate drop. My 3D slider's almost permanently down. I'd still say go for it though because it's still a good experience

NOOOOOOOOO! Unbelievable!

As some of you know I tracked down and bought a Wii U Basic Console second-hand off eBay for $210. I payed for it two days ago and just now this is the message I received from the seller: “Hello sir! Unfortunately I have some bad news...I have received your payment for your Wii U, bud sadly this morning my dog urinated all over the Wii U gamepad, slightly damaging it and causing it to smell. I’m terribly sorry about the inconvenience. I have put a refund through. Sorry again.” Are you for real!? I feel like I’m being trolled here. I was so happy to have found it at that price, and now it’s gone and I can't afford to pay anything more. I can’t believe it! : (

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

iGq5UQWNxa7nz.gif

As some of you know I tracked down and bought a Wii U Basic Console second-hand off eBay for $210. I payed for it two days ago and just now this is the message I received from the seller: “Hello sir! Unfortunately I have some bad news...I have received your payment for your Wii U, bud sadly this morning my dog urinated all over the Wii U gamepad, slightly damaging it and causing it to smell. I’m terribly sorry about the inconvenience. I have put a refund through. Sorry again.” Are you for real!? I feel like I’m being trolled here. I was so happy to have found it at that price, and now it’s gone and I can't afford to pay anything more. I can’t believe it! : (

iGq5UQWNxa7nz.gif

Haha holy shit what? That's the craziest Wii U gamepad story I've read, so at least you've secured your place in GAF history for that?

GameStop is selling used Wii Us for $250, and you can earn $100 dollars in your first week of selling plasma through talecris. You know what to do brotha!

Still, I'm sorry you have to go through the hassle. But seriously, the quality of games on the Wii U is definitely worth selling portions of your body for.

Good luck my friend!

Haha holy shit what? That's the craziest Wii U gamepad story I've read, so at least you've secured your place in GAF history for that?

GameStop is selling used Wii Us for $250, and you can earn $100 dollars in your first week of selling plasma through talecris. You know what to do brotha!

Still, I'm sorry you have to go through the hassle. But seriously, the quality of games on the Wii U is definitely worth selling portions of your body for.

Good luck my friend!

I was so excited too! ;_;

Nemesis_

Game is absolutely amazing. Feels much closer to classic DK. The Tiki were shit - but the Snowmads have their own personality to them that brings them closer to the Kremlins. But they'll never top the Kremlins.
But I think they wouldn't fit in this kind of art style anyway

Fuck, so good. Bosses are fun, cleverly structured and challenging. Music is amazing - especially during those moments where you recognise songs from previous games.

fuck so good

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Got the game here in Spain. It is just as amazing as a Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel is expected to be. Sure the impact is low compared to its prequel, but the level design is brilliant and all in the game is crafted with passion to detail and love. I think it looks way better than in the shown videos and I find it myself pretty more impressive than Super Mario 3D World. Cranky's animations are hilarious.

I spent nearly two and a half hours on the first level time trial, but now I can proudly say that I have earned my first Shiny Gold medal of the game. I've uploaded the video of the run, so if anyone is interested:

1-1 Mangrove Cove - Shiny Gold (01:39,89)

Awesome speed run! I cannot wait to get this game!

Kinsei

Banned
I'm surprised nobody's noticed the secret image in the OT yet.

Talking about the DK cartoon picture? If not then I can't find it, I tried hovering my mouse over every picture looking for a link and nothing except the link to the official site.

Effer

iGq5UQWNxa7nz.gif

Are you in Canada by chance? Best Buy is selling basic Wii Us for $200. "Skylanders Bundle" indeed.

Does anybody know yet and could spoiler tag what Gametrailers meant in their review for DKTF by secrets they couldn't reveal because of an NDA from Nintendo?

Frolow

Banned
Does anybody know yet and could spoiler tag what Gametrailers meant in their review for DKTF by secrets they couldn't reveal because of an NDA from Nintendo?

I haven't watched the review, but they're probably referring to
the secret world and hard mode

JohnWest

the wife and me are looking for a new platformer to play after we finished super mario 3d world (almost, we're still working on champion road)... it was one of the first games that got my wife hooked, so i'm wondering if donkey kong will be a good next step or is it too hard?

she's gotten better and better at mario, but it sounds like donkey kong could get frustrating without awesome platforming skills (which i myself also lack)... so any thoughts?

Fiktion

Banned
the wife and me are looking for a new platformer to play after we finished super mario 3d world (almost, we're still working on champion road)... it was one of the first games that got my wife hooked, so i'm wondering if donkey kong will be a good next step or is it too hard?

she's gotten better and better at mario, but it sounds like donkey kong could get frustrating without awesome platforming skills (which i myself also lack)... so any thoughts?

You can unlock upgrades that should make the game easy to complete.

so, if i die too often do i get some help from the game like in 3DWorld with a special suit?

No, but you can equip items from the shop that allow you to take an extra hit, for example, or automatically give you a replacement ally when you lose them.

But no, there's no White Tanooki suit equivalent. If you're struggling, you basically just have to persevere. Old-school game design.

NEO0MJ

I just found out yesterday that the game arrived in stores here a couple of days ago D:

12651783273_a95b6971c2_o.png

And now it's mine, it's all mine!

Are you in Canada by chance? Best Buy is selling basic Wii Us for $200. "Skylanders Bundle" indeed.

Yup picking up that bundle tomorrow. Then selling the Skylanders stuff for around fifty. Paying basically 150$ for a Wii-U....feels good. Cant wait for some Donkey Kong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Game.co.uk didn't put up yet the digital code for sale, as they did for SM3DW. This is so random with them. I wonder if there is any chance to be available until tomorrow (like at midnight?).

Top Bottom