• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Maybe it comes from the fact you can't skip levels anymore. I'm not finding it harder than Returns so far, but I never used that feature.

How do the K levels compare to DKCR in terms of difficulty? I found those to be a real bitch to get through. Controller throwing levels of difficulty in some of them...

klier

It's really nice to read all the positive posts in this thread, everybody seems to like it.

I'm in level 1-3 now, and am truly surprised by how awesome it looks and plays

Kinsei

Banned
How do the K levels compare to DKCR in terms of difficulty? I found those to be a real bitch to get through. Controller throwing levels of difficulty in some of them...

Of the K levels I've played

1-K: DKCR is more difficult
2-K: DKCTF is more difficult. (It's more difficult than every level in DKCR)
3-K: Around the same difficulty for both games.

DKC2 is the greatest platformer of all time. I have played the first world of tropical freeze and a bit of the second. I can't agree thus far. It seems to be pretty tight and right up there with all the rest of the series, but DCK2 has this foreboding atmosphere that puts it a cut above anything else really. Don't think it'll ever be surpassed.

You see, I do find plenty of that same "special sauce" in this one. The foreboding atmosphere kicks in a bit later perhaps (
The advanced technology under water in world 4 definitely gave off that vibe, but also some of the bonus stages I in earlier zones, such as 1-B
), but it's there (for me). The game manages to capture both the old DKC feel and adds a modern touch, no longer restricted by a limited SNES game engine. Legacy and new potential are in perfect harmony here.

But YMMV, of course!

K' Dash

So it's sensible to want a completely non-gameplay portion of a game to be longer so the repetitive animation is smooth? Christ.

I thought the loading screen complaints were stupid, then I played the game and it bothers me.

A minor issue in an otherwise perfect game.

Reknoc

DKC2 is the greatest platformer of all time. I have played the first world of tropical freeze and a bit of the second. I can't agree thus far. It seems to be pretty tight and right up there with all the rest of the series, but DCK2 has this foreboding atmosphere that puts it a cut above anything else really. Don't think it'll ever be surpassed.

I think this is true of all 3 original games. They have an atmosphere that no other platformer, for me at least, has ever tried to beat. I think its a combination of the darker more subdued colours used, the sprawling backgrounds that gave me a sort of sense of loneliness and this is amplified or because of the incredible soundtracks.

The Hermit

The main complaint is stuttering loading screens?

Man....the game truly must be GOD TIER!
1qEBJT0.gif

This is the kind of shit Nintendo games have to deal with.
If it was from Sony the press would praise as the best platformer ever ( which actually might be)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
hahah what, 50 bucks is not premium pricing. Do you have glasses on that filter out 60 dollar games?

30-40 is too cheap for a game this good. This isn't Puppeteer or Sly 4 levels of garbage platforming we're talking here.

Shots fucking fired.

Bullets of truth.

Some nitpicks amidst what I think will end up a classic game -

Only Rambi (to my knowledge). Where's Snake? Parrot? Spider?
Only DK with supporting characters. But I want to play as Diddy as my primary, or Dixie?

Highlights -

Character design is utterly fantastic. Enemies look so cute in an attitudal kinda way :)
Music but that goes without saying.
Level design from what little I've played.

There are some levels in DKTF that have a similar atmosphere like DKC2

-TK-

I think this is true of all 3 original games. They have an atmosphere that no other platformer, for me at least, has ever tried to beat.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Tropical Freeze is super awesome game, but I'm still a little disappointed how "happy" the overall look and soundtrack really is.

The game is better than any platformer in years, but DKC 2 and 3 are still better games.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Tropical Freeze is super awesome game, but I'm still a little disappointed how "happy" the overall look and soundtrack really is.

The game is better than any platformer in years, but DKC 2 and 3 are still better games.

Therea are many levels in DKTF featuring a darker atmosphere.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Does having a darker atmosphere automatically make a game better?

Robin64

Also, this is not harder than Returns. I sucked at Returns, I didn't get very far at all. Right now, with Tropical Freeze, I'm almost done with world 4.

Holy shit that 1-K level, holy shit!

This games is as close as perfection a plattformer can be. I´ve been playing all morning and I just want more and more. Having a quick lunch and back to third world boss.

Of the K levels I've played

1-K: DKCR is more difficult
2-K: DKCTF is more difficult. (It's more difficult than every level in DKCR)
3-K: Around the same difficulty for both games.

3-K in Returns (Shifty Smashers) was by far the easiest one in Returns. I would be disappointed if the one in TF is that easy. I will find out soon though as I'm just about to start the third island now!

Yes, it does.

No, and Rare's DKC trilogy was proof of that. They were cool games with a unique atmosphere, but gameplay wise (level design, mechanics, etc) they were not up to the standard that Nintendo set with Mario games of that era.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but here's something I stumbled across in 6-4.

Right after the first checkpoint, you'll find the giant bat from Returns frozen in a block of ice in the background, grinning at you.

zroid

Banned
Ultimately I don't really care about stuttering loading screens, personally I don't even mind long load times, but it does baffle me they didn't tone it down to a point where it wouldn't stutter. Why was this deemed acceptable?

Neo Child

Banned
Ultimately I don't really care about stuttering loading screens, personally I don't even mind long load times, but it does baffle me they didn't tone it down to a point where it wouldn't stutter. Why was this deemed acceptable?

because its a loading screen

why dont you check your phone for any facebook updates in the meantime?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nah. I am one of those people who are completely sure that the Wii U is finished & dead.
However. I am a big Nintendo fan and I wish them good success in the future.

I'll never understand this reasoning, but hey your choice mate

BTW today is such an awful day. I cant play since my cousins are here and I cant help thinkin about DK. Ughh

Xun

Luckily it's been despatched, and apparently it should be with me by Saturday.

Fingers crossed I do get it then instead of Monday as it originally said!
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it actually came yesterday!

I was quite surprised, especially since it was only despatched on Thursday.

Zalman

This game is as 10/10 as a 2D platformer will ever be. The visuals, the music, the variety of characters. I don't have any major issues with it.

zroid

Banned
because its a loading screen

why dont you check your phone for any facebook updates in the meantime?

I'm pretty sure I just said I didn't care, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. The fact that it's just a loading screen is exactly my point.

Why detract from the overall experience just for a loading screen? It's not like it's some innovative thing either, but pretty standard stuff. I would understand if they had some wacky idea but couldn't quite pull it off.

Anyway I'm done talking about loading screens, just throwing in my two cents.

Eiolon

I never thought we'd be complaining about darker environments with Donkey Kong in the same manner as we did with Diablo 3...

"Is that a rainbow in my DKC??!?!"

You're goddamn right it is.

I'm on 3-3. I've been playing with the Pro controller in d-pad mode. I think this game is awesome. I love the music. I love the graphics. I love how the levels throw you around all these environments and it's all fully rendered in 3D.

The viking theme really makes me think of Wrath of the Lich King. :p

ITT: Shadow the Hedgehog is the best Sonic game because of its darker atmosphere.

I haven't had a chance to play DKC2 as I only got through DKC1 before Nintendo took the trilogy off of the Virtual Console, but from what I've seen of YouTube playthroughs... it looks muddy and like its level design leaves a lot to be desired.

phanphare

Banned
this game is phenomenal. the length of the levels, the different phases for each level, FUCKING DAVID WISE, the exploration, the dynamic backgrounds, the level morphing. I am going to be playing this game for quite a long time. seriously I really enjoyed Returns. that was a great game. but this game is just on another level altogether. not even joking this game makes me want Retro to do another one and I don't care what franchise they have to ignore to make it. they could do a spiritual successor to DKC 2 and leave Donkey Kong out. have Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky all as playable characters from the start and have more animal buddies. that right there would warrant a sequel

AoM

In case anyone missed it, Nintendo is running a contest where they are giving away a Wii U and DK:TF... oh and also a trip for 4 to San Diego Zoo if you're into that stuff.

http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/tropical-freeze/sweeps

(edit) Whoops, forgot to say continental US only!

Thanks for the link; just entered.

No, and Rare's DKC trilogy was proof of that. They were cool games with a unique atmosphere, but gameplay wise (level design, mechanics, etc) they were not up to the standard that Nintendo set with Mario games of that era.

I'm glad there are many other people who don't feel this way.

daydream

Banned
There's so many deaths to be avoided if you just wait for the right moment to act instead of rushing head first into things.

What I'm saying is, this is the Dark Souls of platformers.
lol

psychotron

I'm confused. What button is the run button? I know the roll button and grab, don't see a run button. Just finished 2-2 and had to do jumps with timed speed bursts.

Top Bottom