• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, seeing a picture of David Wise weirds me out, because I always imagined him looking like the scraggly Billy Mitchell/Alan Moore hybrid, because his music style just invokes that image in my mind.

Diddy is the best character for time trialing levels with underwater sections. He tops the leaderboards for world 4. Diddy is also the best character for Jelly Jamboree and probably a few other land levels. Cranky is the best character for running the majority of levels, surprisingly, with dixie a close second. Cranky is also required for getting shinies on a lot of the bosses.

Huh, why is Diddy better for underwater segments? Wouldn't it be Dixie since she can use her hair as a propeller to travel much faster, Diddy only gets a slight boost.

MBR

Banned
I can't get over how much effort Retro put into this game. After all the monstrous NSMB games I didn't dare to think Nintendo could get an ambitious 2D platformer made, but they made it through Retro. (I didn't play Returns much more than a few levels on Dolphin, but I hear this is even better?)

The music, the art, the animations, the level designs! Everything comes together so freaking nicely, and I don't remember ever thinking "oh, it's one of these segments again", because of the variety.
"11GB download for a platformer, what is this shit? Aren't Nintendo devs the masters of compression?" was what I thought when starting the download, I guess I know why it's so huge now.

It's a bit on the hard side difficulty wise, but it's never the fault of the game, and when I made a mistake, I always knew what I did wrong and could try to correct myself for the next attempt.

Oh, and I complained about the controls/handling at first, but no, no. They're perfect (I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't figure out that you could mash Y/X (Or the shoulder buttons) to keep running with Rambi (Or roll with DK with a partner) until the last Rambi level though...)

I actually shed a single manly tear after I beat 3-1 for the first time...

jnWake

Whoa, seeing a picture of David Wise weirds me out, because I always imagined him looking like the scraggly Billy Mitchell/Alan Moore hybrid, because his music style just invokes that image in my mind.

Huh, why is Diddy better for underwater segments? Wouldn't it be Dixie since she can use her hair as a propeller to travel much faster, Diddy only gets a slight boost.

Diddy is faster, just check the 1-2 leaderboards. I tried running that level with Dixie and in a very good run I was still a couple seconds slower than Diddy runs.

kraznk1d

you can continually spam diddy's boost for a higher avg speed than dixies propeller. just watch a world 4 replay.

I thought the only really tricky part of 2K was the Soaries.

i have to show my ignorance as im not sure which enemies those are lol. It took me about 2 1/2 hrs to beat that one level (now given i was taking turns with my friend who isnt as good, so it probably would have taken me half that time)

69wpm

Damn, this game. I finished the first world and died a few times watching the gorgeous backgrounds instead of focusing where I was going. So good.

The flying penguins.

ah, i actually didnt have any problems with those parts. it actually wasnt until this level that i realized i could hold the jump button for a short bit just before i land on an enemy to get the extra height, instead of having to press the button just as you hit it. Many a lives were lost before i realized this.

daydream

Banned
Alright, I'm starting to go back to 100% everything (well, at least the KONG Letters).

It is amazing how fantastically creative some of these secret levels are, e.g. already in World 1 the majority of players will have missed out on Busted Bayou.

I'm also enjoying the time trials, something I usually don't bother with.

Kinsei

Banned
I've made it to Skowl on hard mode. Most of my deaths so far have been from having too much fun bouncing on the cane or throwing dentures and not paying attention to the level itself.

You can use Cranky's cane to pogo bounce while riding Rambi. The animation of Rambi grabbing the cane is pretty funny.

Got to play a couple levels on my lunch break. 2-4 Sawmill Thrill is a brilliant mine cart level and a perfect example of what Retro does best with this series.

The level design is always more than meets the eye. The mine cart goes through a ridiculously over-the-top sawmill with well-placed jumps and secrets as expected, until DK gets thrown onto a log flume. The log continues forward, becoming a mine cart level that works on the water. And this allows the developers to add in a new diving mechanic. Then the level reaches sheer absurdity as the giant ape is flung back onto a regular mine cart and an enormous cartoon buzzsaw approaches from the rear. The saw simultaneously flings wooden platforms for help (since it is a sawmill) and obstacles, including a spike that impales the track. And the saw eventually consumes the track itself.

I hope that's not a spoiler, but it's just an example of how well Retro mixes constantly transforming level design with milieu. And of course, the music gets even more tense as the situation gets more surreal. I was honestly laughing at each death.

How the dynamic levels interact with art direction is truly Retro's DKC hallmark, and they show how much more alive a platformer can feel when the basic mechanics and platforms aren't so abstracted as to only serve the gameplay. Retro has it both ways and it works beautifully well.

kraznk1d

I have no clue how Retro did it, but it takes talent to make a game perfect for speed runs and normal play. The enemy placement is just perfect.

There are background elements in bayou that help you make those jumps. Two prominent bushes in the beginning help you bounce of the first enemy onto the DK barrel platform. Later in the level there is a fern that indicates where you should roll jump from in order to land on the sequence of 3 flying insects. Besides that a general motif in a lot of time trials is to roll jump from any small elevated platform. In Baobob bonanza if you roll jump from the high pirana plantesque platforms, a chicken will swoop in for you to perfectly bounce off of.

Ricker

So it's good...damn,no WiiU...seriously thinking of picking one up now...a Walmart near me even has one of those ZombieU bundles left...

I almost had a panic attack playing level 1-k. Now I'm a little scared as to what awaits me for the other K levels...

IMG_00092.jpg

Seik

Banned
Got my copy in the mail! :D

All I need now is my friend to bring it at my place and we're gonna unwrap that beast and give it a good spin!

EDIT: God...it comes with a manual?! Retro, oh you! :D

NotLiquid

World 6 is incredible. This is how you do reprise levels.

The levels designs just keep on delivering. The incredible blend of heavily physics-based platforming and dynamic level design is simply unparalleled. All the details just come together to bring some of the best that the entire platforming genre has to offer.

If it weren't for my unabashed love for DKC2, I'd call this the best game in the entire Donkey Kong franchise.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm, not sure if Shoal Atoll is the worst level in the game, or the most brilliant.

I thought 1-K was pretty doable, I needed about 15 tries or so? There's that one tricky part but the rest is minor trial and error.

I wanted to beat the game but world 6 is way bigger than the others. Tomorrow...

Semajer

I just 100%'d normal mode. I have only one figurine to get. Does anything other than the remaining illustrations get unlocked from Hard Mode? I don't think I'll bother doing Hard Mode for now.

Also, why in the hell are songs missing from the Sound Test? Why can't I listen to Busted Bayou?

I just 100%'d normal mode. I have only one figurine to get. Does anything other than the remaining illustrations get unlocked from Hard Mode? I don't think I'll bother doing Hard Mode for now.

Also, why in the hell are songs missing from the Sound Test? Why can't I listen to Busted Bayou?

Just the images unlock for hard mode.

Top Bottom