• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Wow, take that Bopopolis!

That took a million attempts but I finally made it....

Also dat 3-1......I see it's made it self well known around here :)

JoeInky

I didn't get an answer yesterday but just in case you missed it: There's a remix of "Everfrost Peak" from Diddy Kong Racing in World 2. Did you find it? ;)

It's in the second world isn't it? I seem to remember it just being long enough for me to think it was from DKR before it changed to something slightly different and confused me.

Calamari41

41 > 38
God, the last world is so fucking sad. The music combined with what you are seeing is just breathtaking. Especially
The complete ruins that the Cliff zone has become, and our good pal Giant Bat trapped in the ice! Fuckin' Snomads.

What? I'm gonna have to play through hard mode to get all the artwork? Arg!

The only stages that are bad in hard mode are Slippy Spikes, Deep Keep, Amiss Abyss, and Current Capers. At least, those are the only stages I recall dying more than 10 times on, and that's considering I went for GNOK blue KONG on every level. Remember - you can play as Dixie or Cranky.

Crom

I have no clue how Retro did it, but it takes talent to make a game perfect for speed runs and normal play. The enemy placement is just perfect.

Check out Ms. Splosion Man for some awesome speed runs and time trials. This game reminds me of it quite a bit

NotLiquid

Beat the main campaign. Absolutely spectacular. It's an experience for the ages and a platformer for people who are convinced that familiar platformers don't have anything new to offer. It stomps all over existing ones preceding it in recent history and truly takes a familiar formula to the next level.

Alongside the original Metroid Prime, this is going to stand as pure perfection on Retro's part and feels like a strong contender for their best game so far. I really can't rave enough about this game and I'm barely scratching the surface.

Buy this game if you have a Wii U.

Beat the main campaign. Absolutely spectacular. It's an experience for the ages and a platformer for people who are convinced that familiar platformers don't have anything new to offer. It stomps all over existing ones preceding it in recent history and truly takes a familiar formula to the next level.

Alongside the original Metroid Prime, this is going to stand as pure perfection on Retro's part and feels like a strong contender for their best game so far. I really can't rave enough about this game and I'm barely scratching the surface.

Yeah I feel the same. It's the best WiiU game and I didn't even like DKC Returns. But Tropical Freeze seems like a true successor to the old Rare games.

All KONG letters in 5-1 was quite hard :/

K' Dash

The last part of 3-K is making me crazy, I can not time anything or see the patterns of the moving platforms before I'm dead, damn.

"Dull and boring Level-design"

I am still in world 2 but even there it´s baffling to me how a reviewer can come to this conclusion.

Convinced that the negative reviews for this game is just a response to Nintendo releasing another sequel.

But looking at this game objectively, it's probably the best 2-D platformer Nintendo has released since the SNES.

d00d3n

Does it play any better if you have the digital download on the internal memory versus an ext usb drive? That's where it's stored right now and there's a good bit of stuttering with regards to loading into new levels and the main menu. Not game breaking but pretty annoying.

I have it installed on the internal memory and it stutters pretty bad when loading into new levels. Sorry ... :(

Convinced that the negative reviews for this game is just a response to Nintendo releasing another sequel.

But looking at this game objectively, it's probably the best 2-D platformer Nintendo has released since the SNES.
Most likely. I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, but just based on the videos I've seen (and from my experience with Returns), there is no way anyone can claim the TF's levels are boring are dull. The levels are incredibly dynamic!

Gsnap

I've made it up to World 4's Boss, and man, just from my time with the game that 6 from Gamespot is a joke. In fact, playing the game and watching people's speed runs proves certain parts of that review are factually wrong.

If this is unimaginative level design, then I don't know what imaginative level design is.

DeanBDean

That's quite a statement, but I do agree. This is perhaps the first true 2D platformer since that time period that has felt like its really tried to push the genre. While I am one who loved New Super Mario Bros 2, Wii & U, those games definitely did not push the envelope. Instead, they all refined an excellent formula. This game treats the platformer genre like its a AAA franchise, with insanely detailed backgrounds and tremendous music. The change of perspective gameplay is also quite well done, and really adds a new feeling to the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ibagtaZwmkk2CG.png

Only up to the world 2 boss but man, retro just get it. Game is an absolute joy.

Sadly I'm feeling pretty sick so I can't focus all that well. I died like crazy on the level before this with all the ziplines.

Anyone have any tips for high-bouncing with Diddy off a roll jump and retaining momentum? I'm doing time trials for 1-2 and the part near the beginning with Tucks on a ship is kicking my ass. I can't get through cleanly to save my life. Always end up killing my momentum with what I'm guessing is an early jetpack trigger.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Jesus Lawd some of the world 4 levels were gobsmackingly gorgeous but 5-1 is the best thing I have ever seen on the Wii U. I had to move my seat closer to the TV just to appreciate it. The colors, the movement, the detail in the background and foreground. Easily the apex of my now-gen experience.

Retro how could I have ever thought that this game just looked like Returns in HD.

jnWake

Finally my moment of glory!

zlCfzRjOv8sIu6w7bW

Busted Bayou. I wish I could record it because it took me so damn long to get it haha.

I knew Dixie was better than Cranky at this one.

Haines

Banned
I see a lot of praise and I agree,

Is there anybody here that wasn't happy with dk announcement and now glad it came? I'm curious.

I know I was ok with announcement but didn't really want a third and now I'm kinda wondering if I might after all

Converse

Banned
This may be a recurring question but I'll shoot anyway -- so, I'm safe just skipping past Donkey Kong Country Returns and heading right into Tropical Freeze, right?

I mean, I'm clearly not missing any intricate continuity, and though DKCR looks like a wonderful game, Tropical Freeze seems to surpass it in most respects (according to what I've read) except for difficulty, which I'm fine with as I'm not a platforming nihilist.

Put my OCD at ease, GAF.

Haines

Banned
This may be a recurring question but I'll shoot anyway -- so, I'm safe just skipping past Donkey Kong Country Returns and heading right into Tropical Freeze, right?

I mean, I'm clearly not missing any intricate continuity, and though DKCR looks like a wonderful game, Tropical Freeze seems to surpass it in most respects (according to what I've read) except for difficulty, which I'm fine with as I'm not a platforming nihilist.

Put my OCD at ease, GAF.

It doesn't matter. If you like TD you can go back to returns after if you want more. Returns harder on eyes and motion controls tho.

zlCfzRjOv8sIu6w7bW

Busted Bayou. I wish I could record it because it took me so damn long to get it haha.

Congrats! Any Gaffer that is the world record holder for one of these levels needs to get some love.

Converse

Banned
Haines said:
It doesn't matter. If you like TD you can go back to returns after if you want more. Returns harder on eyes and motion controls tho.

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning toward. After clearing the backlog, that is.

Put my OCD at ease, GAF.

doom4.jpg

Crazy Jane doesn't care, as long you enjoy yourself in the sweet breeze of Tropical Freeze

zlCfzRjOv8sIu6w7bW

1. Can you explain how you pick up the DK barrel while you're rolling?

2. What's with the plucking animation stuttering when you use it to clear a path? Exploit or a replay glitch? I've seen this on Mangrove Cove as well, when players pluck the giant tree out of the ground.

Nice run. It impresses me to see so many precision high bounces with Diddy/Dixie. I suck at doing them.

Top Bottom