• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Busted Bayou music is straight up sexy. Shake ya booteyh!

squid

Just got the game today and already half way through World 3! I love it so far. Terrific variety in the levels. Never gets boring. Beautiful art and music too!

jg4xchamp

I buy the knocks that the game doesn't do enough new or progressive things, but man is this a well crafted platformer. Really satisfying to conquer a level that's been dogging you for so long.

Bah, I'm 9th place in Shipwreck Shore and only .03 seconds off 8th place. I just can't do it. I either get fucked dropping down next to the penguin at the ship entrance near the beginning or in the water. There's no way I'm mastering the quick bounce off the bug at the end but still, I'm soooooo close to the leaderboard :(

I gotta say...the music really sets this game apart. The gameplay and all that is really not all that different from DKCR, but the soundtrack makes it feel more like the original trilogy than that game did. The 6-1 music in particular screams DKC2 to me, I love it.

I never feel like a death or a hit is "the game's" fault. It's a hard game, but it's fair. Will be playing this for a while and jamming to the soundtrack on my daily commute.

Sickbean

So another terrible 5.1 audio mix from Nintendo.

What's the trick to get the best audio for this game? Set the system to stereo, or have the receiver convert the "5.1" mix to All-Channel Stereo?

I'm missing out in some David Wise in the current terrible 2.0 channel 5.1 mix

THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE NOTICED.

I've spent the last week blaming my wife and daugther for messing with my AV receiver settings or just thinking I'm going deaf.

The mix really is bad - playing through headphones from the Gamepad is vastly superior sound wise.

Yeah I noticed the audio issue as well. Thought my game was broken or my tv was broken when I couldn't hear the characters sounds.

Switching to mono or regular stereo on the Wii U helped.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
4) A third installment would complete a trilogy, and create symmetry by mirroring Rare's trilogy.

Considering DKC3 was made by a different team within Rare though, maybe handing the third installment to Monster Games would be appropiate according to this argument?

Considering DKC3 was made by a different team within Rare though, maybe handing the third installment to Monster Games would be appropiate according to this argument?
Yeah, interesting viewpoint.

Retro said they still have more ideas. Maybe they can give those ideas to MG and they can bring them to life.

Sendou

Monster Games is way too small to handle a game like this on their own.

Yeah, interesting viewpoint.

Retro said they still have more ideas. Maybe they can give those ideas to MG and they can bring them to life.

If a new DK happens, I imagine it'll be a joint production between a beefed up Monster and a splinter group from Retro. That way Retro can oversee art and level design. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Sickbean

Yeah I noticed the audio issue as well. Thought my game was broken or my tv was broken when I couldn't hear the characters sounds.

Switching to mono or regular stereo on the Wii U helped.

I think I might do this too when I get home. 5.1 Surround really isn't of any great benefit in a 2D scrolling platformer, and that's all I'm playing on my Wii U at the moment.

kizmah

World 3 done after another great boss. The difficulty of the boss fights has just been perfect so far. They are really challenging at first (well, not the first one actually) but after a couple deaths the pattern is clear and then it's just a matter of good rhytmic timing. Perfect!

Oh, the tranquility below the surface.
cKmPHWZ.jpg

I think I'm far enough into TF to decide if it's better than Returns. And I can confidently say it is!

Returns is still great but after playing TF, it lacked the focus TF has. The levels in Returns felt more like a mash-up of great ideas which included the kitchen sink to them with a few really well thought out ones in the mix.

Whereas every level in TF is carefully crafted with a lot of thought and care. It feels more focused and has a sense of character to them. Every level is different. It's not just a mash up of random level designs or ideas. They're all there with a purpose. Same with the bosses.

The music, the animation, the visuals...it's all so well done!

I think TF is a masterpiece. I know I'm over praising it but it really is!

Sickbean

To think when I started this game I was worried it wouldn't be as good as NSMBU. I should have had faith.

Thank you based Retro.
Now how 'bout that new Metroid?

So what is available after you defeat the last boss? Any secret worlds or anything?

And man, I know the difficulty and stuff is part of the game, but I wish that the level structure was completely linear, instead of hunting for puzzle pieces and the likes to gain access to more levels. Its sad I'll never see them because I don't have the time to go hunting through all the levels several times.

So what is available after you defeat the last boss? Any secret worlds or anything?

And man, I know the difficulty and stuff is part of the game, but I wish that the level structure was completely linear, instead of hunting for puzzle pieces and the likes to gain access to more levels. Its sad I'll never see them because I don't have the time to go hunting through all the levels several times.

KONG letters are the only collectibles that unlock playable content.
There's one secret level per world that you get for grabbing KONG in each level, and completing all of those will unlock a secret world with three levels. Completing those levels will unlock hard mode.

Nezumi

How am i supposed to get the second puzzle piece in 2K (the one under the falling platforms with penguins)? No matter what I do, once I reach the point it has already lowered to far to get it without dying.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I give up. The last part of
7-3
is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. Really cheap and frustrating level design. NOPE.

you can do it! USE THAT HATE

How am i supposed to get the second puzzle piece in 2K (the one under the falling platforms with penguins)? No matter what I do, once I reach the point it has already lowered to far to get it without dying.

Roll quick from the platform straight after the Blue Fire thingy, and jump on the first Owl or the Penguin fish shooter. Just got to go fast. You can jump on the head of the penguin after the piece even though it looks like he has disappeared from the screen too.

gotoadgo

Okay I give up. The last part of
7-3
is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. Really cheap and frustrating level design. NOPE.
Which part? The part that has the platform moving from left to right at a fast pace? What's the issue you're having?
Didn't seem too bad when I did it earlier today, died once when I got there because I didn't react fast enough and when I finally got back there again it was all over.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Monster Games is way too small to handle a game like this on their own.
They could use the assets and engine Retro has created and would only need to make new levels and program / create assets for the completely new ideas.

Which part? The part that has the platform moving from left to right at a fast pace? What's the issue you're having?
Didn't seem too bad when I did it earlier today, died once when I got there because I didn't react fast enough and when I finally got back there again it was all over.

Exactly. I just can't react that fast. I always get hit by those rocks and fall into the abyss.

Sendou

They could use the assets and engine Retro has created and would only need to make new levels and program / create assets for the completely new ideas.

Still they're like 1/5th of Retro's size. Hard to see how this would work. I would love to see them prove me wrong though.

gotoadgo

Exactly. I just can't react that fast. I always get hit by those rocks and fall into the abyss.
Ah, sounds like persistence is what you need (I know, it's a bitch). If you get there a few times you'll memorise where the rocks are and get past it. It's two sections at the end and they aren't too long so if you stick with it you'll crack it eventually! Don't give up so close to the end!

Edit - the last jigsaw piece is there too so don't miss it!

squid

Argh, 2-K and 3-K were rage-inducing! Must have used up at least 30 lives on each of them. So glad I'm done with them. I thought it would make it easier using Dixie in 2-K, but she ended up just throwing off my timing and making it even harder. Just had to persist solo!

Man, World 3 had some fantastic level ideas. And World 2 was terrific as well, such a beautiful art style in that world. Sawmill thrill was gorgeous!

So far, I've found Cranky to be my favourite kong to use. You get the ability to go places you usually can't, plus you get the high pogo bounce. Dixie I use in certain levels, and Diddy I pretty much never use.

Kouriozan

Woot, at the last part of
7-2, ok, one more level, only one more....
Edit : Yes, finally! That last part surprised me, but touched the goal at the third attempt while in the air, it was too fast x)
Hard
Cranky
mode, here I come!

Nezumi

Roll quick from the platform straight after the Blue Fire thingy, and jump on the first Owl or the Penguin fish shooter. Just got to go fast. You can jump on the head of the penguin after the piece even though it looks like he has disappeared from the screen too.

Thanks. Haven't managed to get it without out dying but at least I did get it and can now ignore it forever :)

Ok so I got this game yesterday, loving it so far but I'm stuck. I feel like a bit of an idiot to be honest since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm up to 3-3. I finished the stage and nothing happened, next stage didn't open up. It let me go to funky's but won't let me continue the game. I've finished that same stage about 4 times now and even went and made sure I had all the letters and puzzle pieces. I'm assuming I'm missing something insanely obvious but it's got me stumped.

Still they're like 1/5th of Retro's size. Hard to see how this would work. I would love to see them prove me wrong though.

More like 1/3... Retro is not THAT big. But yeah they are probably too small to tackle a Wii U game unless they spent 5+ years on it. I think if they do DKCR 3 it will be on 3DS.

Kinsei

Banned
Ok so I got this game yesterday, loving it so far but I'm stuck. I feel like a bit of an idiot to be honest since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm up to 3-3. I finished the stage and nothing happened, next stage didn't open up. It let me go to funky's but won't let me continue the game. I've finished that same stage about 4 times now and even went and made sure I had all the letters and puzzle pieces. I'm assuming I'm missing something insanely obvious but it's got me stumped.

It's a game ending glitch. You'll have to start over. Hopefully Retro gets a patch out ASAP.

It is because suddenly the controls feel really sluggish during this part of the level.

Hmmm, that's strange, I never experienced that.

It's a game ending glitch. You'll have to start over. Hopefully Retro gets a patch out ASAP.

Wow, I didn't know about this... Very odd for a Retro game between this and the stuttering load screens... It's the little things that make me rate DKCR over TF.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think I might do this too when I get home. 5.1 Surround really isn't of any great benefit in a 2D scrolling platformer, and that's all I'm playing on my Wii U at the moment.

Wait, what's the matter with the audio? I have my system set to 5.1, I hear all of my sound effects clearly (with ground pounding and banana collecting coming through the Gamepad speaker), and I even routinely hear barrel sounds in my back speakers when I'm fired into the screen. I dunno why I'm not having any of the issues people are describing, I'm just running HDMI into my receiver and set to 5.1 lpcm.

Sorry but you have to start a new file.
i've seen a lot of people run into this glitch, hopefully retro patch this soon.
It's very unlike nintendo to ship a game in this condition so i assume it will be fixed quickly.
whilst they are at it, they can patch in a restart level option,gamepad jack audio, and also a new world.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

That sucks. Sorry. The first time you beat the stage did you quit out right away or do anything weird?

Top Bottom