• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Oidisco

Please tell me theres a way to use Y (or X) to roll and grab, like in the old games.

Go into the control options, there's a total of 4 control methods you can use on the Gamepad, and I assume the same with Pro-controller. Just find the one that suits you the best.

I believe pressing - changes it to either Analog or D-pad control, and pressing + changes the button configuration in each of those 2 control methods. Or something like that.

Kandinsky

There isn't afaik. It's because you will want to both pound while clinging and roll while standing on clingable surfaces during the game. Button overlap would kill both of those.
Sadly thats the case, I hate it, why Retro keep doing this?, Returns was already unplayable for me thanks to that awful waggle to roll bs, this is less offensive but still pretty bad ughhh.

Andrew.

Banned
Using the trigger to grab (Usin the Pro C) took a couple minutes to get acclimated with.

But in the end, yeah...the control scheme is perfection.

Analog all the way, although I realize everyone has got their preference.

Kriken

The boss of World 3 was surprisingly easier than the boss of World 2. Still used an extra heart though as I died 4 times on his final form. This game is really growing on me as the first DKC game I've ever played

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Retro should do one more DKC because:

1) They're at the top of their game now, delivering the finest platforming ever. They've perfected the formula.
2) The producer said in an interview they still have lots of ideas for a new one (and specifically noted Animal Buddies).
3) Returns sold better than the Metroid Prime series. And however Tropical Freeze does, Nintendo sure wouldn't have expected Metroid to do any better.
4) A third installment would complete a trilogy, and create symmetry by mirroring Rare's trilogy.
5) This in turn would allow for a sweet three-in-one collection at some point!

sadly, while these are all good points, only sales will justify a new DKCR, which is something I'm a bit worried about

zashga

Beat the final boss yesterday, now going back to do all the K levels.
Bopopolis
is the best thing I've ever played, holy crap.

Also, the figurine models are pretty impressive, technically and artistically. Are they the same models used during gameplay? Kinda hard to tell since you can't zoom the camera way in.

Currygan

so why does 2-2 have a
secret second path pointing to another level
while I'm sure there isn't any? I spent like 50 minutes there. WHY

so why does 2-2 have a

It's the K level. If you see a secret level and the dot is resting on top of a stone slab, you have to collect each level's KONG to unlock it.

I usually hate water levels but these water levels are amazing in this game.

And I can't stop laughing at Cranky Kong's voice. It's so funny!

Isn't he the original DK and DK Jr. is the DK in this game? Or is DK in this game the grandson of Cranky who's DK Jr. or the original DK?

Just finished 2-K, after 3 hours and 50-60 lives.

EZ1Homc.png

World 2 boss was cake after that hell.

Kinsei

Banned
I usually hate water levels but these water levels are amazing in this game.

And I can't stop laughing at Cranky Kong's voice. It's so funny!

Isn't he the original DK and DK Jr. is the DK in this game? Or is DK in this game the grandson of Cranky who's DK Jr. or the original DK?

Cranky is the original DK and the current DK is his grandson.

Currygan

^brilliant, thanks guys. Gotta say that is indeed some great trolling by Retro

also, that 2-1, 2-2 music....

materazzi%20mourinho%20crying%20depart%20milan.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
so why does 2-2 have a

I did a similar thing if it makes you feel better lol. Just not quite as long before I realized.

I'm on 2-K and I've probably already lost 20-30 lives...but damned if this isn't one of the best levels in the game. I'm having so much fun with it, I don't care if I lose all 99 of my lives.
Easy trick, if you jump on the first large owl at the beginning of the level three times he will give you a balloon. It prevented me from ever decreasing my life count

Deku Tree

Easy trick, if you jump on the first large owl at the beginning of the level three times he will give you a balloon. It prevented me from ever decreasing my life count

A lot of levels have things like that. I love it.

You can actually increase your life count while dying over and over sometimes.

Yeah. my Life count hasn't gone under 90, but I've died probably ..40-50 times now XD.

I don't want to quit though because I already have all but one of the puzzle pieces! I MUST PREVAIL!

Deku Tree

Wait the Crash Guard is only single use? Once you use it once it's gone? Ugh... seems useless.

At least the extra heart stays with you as many times as you die if you are still trying to beat a level...

Yeah. my Life count hasn't gone under 90, but I've died probably ..40-50 times now XD.

I don't want to quit though because I already have all but one of the puzzle pieces! I MUST PREVAIL!

Ahaha I felt the same way. When I had all the pieces, I kept going at it. Was getting worried that I wouldn't make it when I dipped below 20 lives.

Muzy72

Banned
My wish for Retro goes in this order: New IP > Another Nintendo franchise > DKC > Metroid.

I would absolutely love if this would happen, but only if Retro can start outputting games at a much faster pace. I don't think I could wait a other 9 years to complete the new trilogy!

Busaiku

Homecoming Hijinx isn't necessarily my favorite track, but going with the level was absolute brilliance.
I don't think any other song captured the level quite as well.

Neiteio

Windmill Hills will always be the best song of the whole game.

I sometimes replay that level...actually, I often reply it even though I have gotten everything and then some.
I consider Windmill Hills to be a near-perfect level. Jumping and rolling across the turning windmills is an absolute joy. There are bits where you go in and out of the background, or where the camera shifts dynamically as you whiz past windmill vanes, set them spinning or ricochet from one to another. There's that great vertical passage about halfway through, the one with the springy platforms, followed by the lift you can skip altogether. And the music takes an already lively stage and infuses it with such infectious charm. Simply amazing.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Tears. I'm not kidding.

So god damn good!!

In the top five of all time for me, might be the greatest by the time I finish the game.

That Lockjaw/Stickerbrush mix is so amazing.

David Wise has been so hyped last few months, he exceeded the hype and then some. I hope the guy keeps making video game soundtracks till the day he dies. I can honestly say the soundtrack makes this game!

Lunar15

Just beat the game. The final boss was kind of lame, the timing on his dash attack was really wonky, and there were times where I felt like I hit him in the back but it said I was hit instead.

The best boss fight in the game, hands down, is world 5's boss. Great music, great mechanics, fun fight.

Also, OH MY GOD THAT SAX IN THE CREDITS AAAAAAA

efTeIVT.png

You bastard, you.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I was expecting a lot worse from 5-K. Took two tries, mainly because I didn't react to the puzzle piece above the owls quick enough and just went for it. Probably could've made it if I had a partner. Found 2-K harder, personally.

Top Bottom