• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 Gone Gold - Release Data August 3-5

Tenguman

http://www.bluesnews.com/

DOOM 3 Gold! [July 14, 2004, 1:22 pm EDT] - 14 Comments
id Software's Todd Hollenshead has updated his .plan file with the eagerly anticipated news that DOOM 3 has gone gold, and will be officially released in the U.S. on August 5:

IT'S DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing! It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins ;-) We literally just hung up with Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with your local retailer for that information.

Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!

The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!

I'll update again with some DOOM 3 preparation tips (not what hardware to buy - you'll have to wait for a programmer for that sort of thing). In the meantime, I want to see those "DOOM 3 GOLD!!!" threads set new records for swamping message board servers, destroying productivity, and post counts ;-)

Recapping today's headlines....DOOM 3 GOLD!!!

Matlock

Banned
The thing that buggers me about "Doom 3" is that there already has been a Doom 3 in the line.

Ultimate Doom - Doom II - Final Doom.

Final Doom being "Doom 3," by simple logic.

Either way, it does look cool, and I'll be looking forward to playing it when it hits bargain bins in a few years.

IJoel

wall3_640.jpg

I just read the full text review from PCGamer...Sounds great. I'm just worried that my system won't run it well. I seriously just got it like three months ago, with the best of everything, but I still worry...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Matlock said:
The thing that buggers me about "Doom 3" is that there already has been a Doom 3 in the line.

Ultimate Doom - Doom II - Final Doom.

Final Doom being "Doom 3," by simple logic.

Either way, it does look cool, and I'll be looking forward to playing it when it hits bargain bins in a few years.

wasn't final doom not actually made by ID though, or something like that? Sort of like their "master levels" collection? Am I mistaken here or can someone set me straight?

Just looked it up, and yep, final doom was made by Team TNT. That makes Final Doom more of an expansion pack than a sequel (because it wasn't developed by ID software itself).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NotMSRP said:
I hope that I can turn off various features to be able to get it running on my crappy PC.

According to PC Gamer, they got it running on a slower machine with a GeForce4mx + 512mb of ram. They claim that it still looked very decent and ran at an acceptable clip. You should be fine. :)

I'd imagine that Doom 3 will end up performing much better than Far Cry did, actually...

Matlock

Banned
Nerevar said:
wasn't final doom not actually made by ID though, or something like that? Sort of like their "master levels" collection? Am I mistaken here or can someone set me straight?

Whether it is or not, I'm not sure...BUT...

id calls The Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom "The Ultimate Doom Trilogy" in their "Doom Collector's Edition," and the descrip for Final Doom is...

The final chapter in the legendary Doom series. This is it. The end. The end of the undead marines, the acid-drenched hallways, and the hell-spawned hordes. It's 2 new, 32-level episodes (Complete with new stories, The Plutonia Experiment and EviLution) let you finish what you started. Final Doom. End of Story.

EDIT: Hrm, so it was devved externally. Kind of weird, though, that it's officially called part of the "Trilogy," yet it's not officially "Doom 3."

SantaC

yihoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fuck Jeux-France and their worthless news. October my ass :D

NotMSRP

dark10x said:
According to PC Gamer, they got it running on a slower machine with a GeForce4mx + 512mb of ram. They claim that it still looked very decent and ran at an acceptable clip. You should be fine. :)

I'd imagine that Doom 3 will end up performing much better than Far Cry did, actually...

My computer has much older hardware than even that. I bought my computer in August 2000, so it's outdated. 733Mhz Intel, GeForce 2 64MB, 256 RAM

Mrbob

Well Doom 3 is a retelling of the first game so, uhh, maybe it all fits together?

It's DOOM, who cares how it fits sequentially! :p

dark10x

NotMSRP said:
My computer has much older hardware than even that. I bought my computer in August 2000, so it's outdated. 733Mhz Intel, GeForce 2 64MB, 256 RAM

Well...err...

I guess you won't be playing Doom 3 on your PC. :\

Why on earth would you even want to try? It would run so slowly and look so bad that you would not even enjoy it.

I'm spending the next month watching peoples impressions about how Doom III runs, reading reviews of cards and whatnot. Hopefully there will be a price drop on some of the really expensive stuff. By the end of this all, hopefully I'll make a smart decision onw hat to buy instead of plunging right in now.

Oh yeah, Doom rocks. Doom III will be Godly.

FriScho

4 long years suddenly seem a short time.

It's like yesterday when I read June 1st 2000 in Carmacks .plan: "It wasn't planned to announce this soon, but here it is: We are working on a new DOOM game, focusing on the single player game experience, and using brand new technology in almost every aspect of it. That is all we are prepared to say about the game for quite some time, so don't push for interviews. We will talk about it when things are actually built, to avoid giving misleading comments."

And it feels like yesterday seeing this pic February 21. 2001:
s_013709.jpg

NotMSRP

Because Doom is one of the few FPSs that I like. Enjoyed Doom 1 & 2 a lot a decade ago. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade my PC right now, especially just for one game. So I have to compromise on graphics for saving money, at the moment.

dark10x

NotMSRP said:
Because Doom is one of the few FPSs that I like. Enjoyed Doom 1 & 2 a lot a decade ago. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade my PC right now, especially just for one game. So I have to compromise on graphics for saving money, at the moment.

Yeah, but that's even more of a reason not to play it. Your PC will basically not be able to run the game. I'm sure you could install it and such, but once you get in there, you'd be lucky to pull 10 fps with everything turned off. The game will not be playable on your machine no matter how many details you turn off.

If you ARE a fan of the game, I'd say just wait until you get the chance to play it properly. Why spoil a good game like that?

Or, you could always wait and play it on XBOX. If you don't own an XBOX, I'm sure you could somehow rent one with the game or something. THAT would be a WHOLE lot easier than dealing with your PC situation.

Look at it this way, Doom III is clearly based around atmosphere. Playing Doom 3 on your machine now would be like playing Quake 1 on a 486 (of course, in that case, at least Quake LOOKED correct...whereas Doom 3 would display properly).

NotMSRP

I think I did played Quake on my old 486.

I read the spec requirements elsewhere. Crap. I can't play. :(

Maybe if I can find dirt cheap hardware parts, I might be able to play.

I sure hope Doom 3 is moddable like the previous games.

dark10x

Manders said:
I'll wait for the xbox version. My pc probably couldn't handle this game. It played the demo at 25 fps. :(

You can't base the performance on that extremely old build. It was never intended to be run on public hardware and was designed simply to show off the game.

I think I did played Quake on my old 486.

Actually, so did I (well, my first time through). I had to shrink the window size down a lot and the game rarely hit 10 fps. I still enjoyed it, for some reason, but it was SLLOOOOWWWW.

Mrbob

Manders, what is your hardware setup you used for the test?

If you got 25FPS you should expect better performance in the final build. The beta is not optimized.

AirBrian

So what are the system requirements?

(I tried Google but get conflicting results.)

EDIT: IGN says?:

Minimum Requirements:
1GHz Processor
256MB RAM
32MB Video Card

Manders

Banned
Mrbob said:
Manders, what is your hardware setup you used for the test?

If you got 25FPS you should expect better performance in the final build. The beta is not optimized.

My pc isn't that great. I have a 2.2 ghz cpu with a 9600 xt.

oh, and only 512 memory

FriScho

AirBrian said:
So what are the system requirements?

(I tried Google but get conflicting results.)

EDIT: IGN says?:

Minimum Requirements:
1GHz Processor
256MB RAM
32MB Video Card

I saw this somewere on a Doom fanpage: "A P4 3GHz with a Georce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a geforce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail (A higher level of quality and resolution is available , but the PC to run it well isn't). Running with a geforce4 MX card and 512 Mb RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots."

IJoel

The specs is a thing that doesn't really worry me, but it pisses me off how ID has handled it.

The game will be out in less than a month and they haven't released them. What the hell are they waiting for?!

dark10x

Manders said:
My pc isn't that great. I have a 2.2 ghz cpu with a 9600 xt.

oh, and only 512 memory

Errr, the game should run extremely well on that setup. In fact, PC Gamer actually noted that the game runs very well with only 512mb ram (unlike Far Cry). I don't think you have anything to worry about...

Manders

Banned
Well that's a relief. I was kind of worried because Far Cry didn't run as well as I would have liked it too, and I imagine Doom 3 is going to be a beast in comparison.

dark10x

Manders said:
Well that's a relief. I was kind of worried because Far Cry didn't run as well as I would have liked it too, and I imagine Doom 3 is going to be a beast in comparison.

Noooo...I'd say that Doom 3 will end up running much better than Far Cry. Far Cry is technically ahead of Doom 3, I'd say (though D3 animates much better). Not only does it render MASSIVE outdoor areas with TONS of foliage, it also handles indoor areas in much the same way as Doom 3 (unified lighting + perpixel effects everywhere).

Slo

Apharmd Battler said:
So I take it I'm O.K. with my Athlon 3000+, 512MB DDR RAM, and ATI 9800 Pro. It should run at least as good as UT2K4 right? ;)

This is a prime example of a guy waiving an average sized cock around like it's a firehose.

dark10x

Slo said:
This is a prime example of a guy waiving an average sized cock around like it's a firehose.

Yeah really. I mean, 512mb ram? That's nothing to be bragging about...

Ryu

I think anyone running a p4 1.7ghz or equivelant with a gf4 4600ti with 512mb ddr will run this game just fine but your resolution may vary or your details may vary. Regardless, I'm sure at 800x600 for the lowest end of that spectrum will still look great. Multiplayer is a totaly different story though... I'm sure at 54.99 a pop though, everyone will want to make sure they can run multiplayer flawlessly as well.

Top Bottom