• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

rac

Banned
real talk i love the fuck outta my team ya know im super happy print picked me.

tbh i didnt even expect to be picked at all

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Someone pointed out if you got Octarine Core on Night Stalker, you can have 80%+ uptime for your ult, and limit the game to only 40 seconds of Daytime Per cycle once you have Octarine + Level 16.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Curious how many of the TI rewards are pre-made.
Immortal chest 2 when

Monday. I'm sure all the Immortals for the first 2 chests are completely ready to go, the First chest's items were dated as made in March.

The big one is the Desert Terrain. I don't think Source 1 is able to replace Tile-sets on the fly, so it would need new features introduced in Source 2, and putting the alternative tile in a different map file and just forcing people to choice before playing could lead to a ton of issues down the line.

Saprol

I believe in slahser's Silencer. The early glaives at least. That shadowblade doesn't sound like a safe pick.

Need to practice Eul's -> LSA more, I don't remember ever landing it. I made some awful decisions to push separately from our team, leaving their bot rax up longer than necessary. Lina was still so fun though.

bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif

Hylian7

I'm really bad at dota but do you all feel that balance whine is really necessary most of the time? I often wonder if most of the problems with heroes is that the scene has trouble with creativity and don't want to invest time to figure out counters and just goes with what is tried and tested? Again I'm pretty clueless but I got the impression in dac that asian teams banned some heroes that were not getting that much priority by western teams(only thing I can come up with now is batrider).

I'm not only a noob but drunk at the moment so I'm probably out of my element now..

I think that post dac tourney recently showed us troll and sniper were overrated and people spent more time whining about them being broken rather than do anything against it. Same thing this patch. Its embarrassing to try to blame the game so much sometimes. Comeback mechanic was nerfed, and now people complain about stomps. Maybe the next logical step would be to stop blaming the game for your loss and try to improve as a player in general. It'd be a bit more productive.

no targeted to anyone in particular, but I feel its a bad attitude if you have any ambition to improve at the game

Been thinking about these posts since I read them earlier and wanted to make a longer reply of my two cents regarding this.

Like these posts, and others said, people complain about these things for various reasons. Some of them warranted, some not so much. For instance, Sniper and Troll? Totally warranted. Those heroes were consistently picked and banned in pro games, they may not have been picked and banned in some regions, but probably because the teams there weren't used to running them. I believe back before TI3, I think I remember something about Chinese players saying Wisp was trash (it may not have been Chinese, I don't remember), while western teams were picking Wisp, and to much success.

However I think probably the main reason is that pub and pro Dota are not necessarily the same game. In pubs, it's frustrating to lose to the same thing over and over again, and to try different things against it, and still lose. It feels like your opponents have a "win" button, and you have a "hopefully not lose" button. Usually the "proper" way to deal with a hero or tactic that people complain about is a very difficult one to execute or coordinate a pub team to do. A good example of this was TI2-era Lycan, remember that? Patch 6.75 happened after TI2, and this is what they changed to Lycan:

Summon Wolves icon.png Summon Wolves
Increased manacost from 125 to 145.
Reduced health from 400/450/500/550 to 200/240/280/320.
Wolves now have 50% magic resistance.
Fixed Shapeshift icon.png Shapeshift speed buff remaining after dying with Aegis.

This generally meant that before this nerf, Lycan was jungling super fast no matter what unless you made an effort to stop him. The problem with this was that it meant committing a number of team members to go away from their lanes, giving them up to whoever else was in them, and trying to shut down Lycan. You could ward his camps, I remember there was even a video of a tactic that involved Bounty Hunter going into his jungle and last hitting his creeps and his wolves with Jinada, then going back invis. You can probably imagine the hero was VERY frustrating to deal with, especially for pubs. This hero controlled pubs at the time, and of course he was the #1 complaint back then. People get tired of losing to the same thing over and over again, it just seems natural that's a thing people would get frustrated at.

Relating to the current stomp games going on, people get frustrated by stomps, can you blame them? Usually a stomp is something that usually goes to hell in a handbasket at 10-15 minutes and your team probably won't recover from it. That's not saying it isn't possible to recover from it, as a lot of them it is, but it's super frustrating, especially when your pub team has already lost morale/is on tilt/whatever and this makes a comeback less and less likely. It's great that they fixed the comeback mechanics from being stupid, where they were "be greedy and pick 5-cores, then somehow win the game" Right now I feel like it's gone too far back in the other direction, where "all early game and 5-man at 5 minutes" wins most games. This makes a handful of heroes pretty weak, and it's kind of frustrating if you ever end up playing those heroes.

While I don't disagree with the fact that you can always be improving at the game, at the end of the day, people want to know an actual reason why they lost a game. Finding your own mistakes you can improve on is absolutely important though, regardless.

bounchfx

Curious how many of the TI rewards are pre-made.
Immortal chest 2 when

they absolutely have had to make most of them over the past 2-3 months

99% sure the desert terrain is done

all immortals are definitely mostly done if not completely done

everything else, fuck if I know. gif fme pls

JC Sera

I really like your icon, what is it?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Normally if I'm losing to something I just pick it my self, you can normally find the weaknesses pretty quickly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I like how Sniper and Troll are left unabated for the better part of a year, terrorizing the everloving shit out of Dota. Then Undying, a hero that is criminally underpicked since I started playing, comes along and he isn't even given a full month to become FotM before the nerfs start dropping.
cry.gif

Guru-Guru

Banned
12-1 ranked with Undying this patch. Last 3 matches 13-0, 17-0, 9-0--all finished under 35 mins. Starting to feel dirty. Not sure what it is like at higher MMR tiers, but at 2.5k nobody attacks tombstone and fights under it like idiots.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
12-1 ranked with Undying this patch. Last 3 matches 13-0, 17-0, 9-0--all finished under 35 mins. Starting to feel dirty. Not sure what it is like at higher MMR tiers, but at 2.5k nobody attacks tombstone and fights under it like idiots.

As a 2.5k that has played against a lot of Undying in the last week, trust me, we try to kill the tombstone. It's really hard to kill early in the game. Dirge is a real son of a bitch and I'd play him nonstop if I played ranked or cared about winning more than randoming and goofing off.

JC Sera

Played an undying game
yeah hes still OP, nerf didn't do too much
also I realise why I like playing him
you can still be competent and contribute to team with horrendous ozzy ping
cry.gif

bit like abaddon

Acinixys

I'm having new hat withdrawal.

Vaaaaaalve give me the new chest already

While im excited to see the new immortals in not going to go apeshit over them

The TI4 immortals are still only 20c or so in the market

So in September when all of these new immortals are marketable I will buy the ones I want for $2 and be happy I didnt spend $40 on my compendium

dac15_fantastic.gif

Falk

that puzzling face

From prior experience (not dota2) music be like "hey we need music done in 2 weeks can you get an orchestra/studio booking together"

shira

While im excited to see the new immortals in not going to go apeshit over them

The TI4 immortals are still only 20c or so in the market

So in September when all of these new immortals are marketable I will buy the ones I want for $2 and be happy I didnt spend $40 on my compendium

dac15_fantastic.gif

facepalm.gif
I'm glad my $40 is helping free2players enjoy Dota

Wok

I think playing Riki support has improved my way of playing Riki carry. Or it is just that Euls is so good on Riki.

OJw28vR.png

I am now in the top 43% Riki player... and still climbing.

LdVs2wY.png

JC Sera

I'm guessing it wasn't the best idea ever to go for it in both of those matches?

Like I said I'm not too familiar with carry heroes.
Battlefury is a very overrated item for a lot of heroes
I watch carry friends try to get it for 20+ minutes and then when the late game comes they have very little to show (these are my own 2k pub experiences tho, take with grain of salt)
nnbl6ls.jpg

Ok, he's back in the garbage bin again.
~53% is not garbage

Battlefury is a very overrated item for a lot of heroes
I watch carry friends try to get it for 20+ minutes and then when the late game comes they have very little to show (these are my own 2k pub experiences tho, take with grain of salt)

Thanks for the tip will keep that in mind in future games.

Syder

The big one is the Desert Terrain. I don't think Source 1 is able to replace Tile-sets on the fly, so it would need new features introduced in Source 2, and putting the alternative tile in a different map file and just forcing people to choice before playing could lead to a ton of issues down the line.

This is the prime reason I bought the compendium.

MMMMM, gimme.

Vade

Is there an MMR limit for standins? I'll likely be around, but I would feel a bit bad playing for a team honestly.

We definitely will need you even if our Seattle player finds the quote on quote"nerds" I think if you post in the ihl thread we will be good; game is at 1 est

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom