• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

If you own a compendium you still get SOMETHING, you just get extra stuff if you level up. I don't see the problem here.

Yeah you do get something, and the initial value for the compendium is honestly good, assuming stretchgoals are met. But I think you'd agree that's it's extremely obvious that the compendium in it's curent form is designed to make players want to progress in levels. And the way that works currently is similar to that dungeon keeper f2p game that EA got a ton of shit for tbh. Sure, you can progress without paying, that is an option. But if you don't pay, your progress will be complete poop.

Someone didn't buy last year's compendium

They've been reasonably quick delivering the stretch rewards this time around, disregarding the weekend we've only waited one day for treasure #2

Yeah I only started playing within the last 1½-2 months. Though honestly, I don't think that Valve being way worse last year is a good excuse for them still not getting it right.

Hylian7

Yeah you do get something, and the initial value for the compendium is honestly good, assuming stretchgoals are met. But I think you'd agree that's it's extremely obvious that the compendium in it's curent form is designed to make players want to progress in levels. And the way that works currently is similar to that dungeon keeper f2p game that EA got a ton of shit for tbh. Sure, you can progress without paying, that is an option. But if you don't pay, your progress will be complete poop.

Yeah I only started playing within the last 1½-2 months. Though honestly, I don't think that Valve being way worse last year is a good excuse for them still not getting it right.

The difference is here is that Dungeon Keeper is a game I'm supposed to be able to actually play without being milked for money constantly, while the Compendium is a completely optional thing that straight up tells you what your money is going toward if you pump more money into it. You can still enjoy Dota without even buying a Compendium or ever putting cent into leveling up on it.

Sianos

when you're so greedy that even after six slots and buyback you keep farming and microing illusions to farm and pushing lanes and taking rosh just for the gold and giving aegisandcheese aegisandcheese to supports

i think i may have an addiction

Trickster

The difference is here is that Dungeon Keeper is a game I'm supposed to be able to actually play without being milked for money constantly, while the Compendium is a completely optional thing that straight up tells you what your money is going toward if you pump more money into it. You can still enjoy Dota without even buying a Compendium or ever putting cent into leveling up on it.

Very true. However that doesn't make the design of the compendium not suck.

From what I hear, last years compendium was also not nearly as hard/grindy to level or unlock things for. Apparently you got a lot more items just by playing and such than this year?

Hylian7

From what I hear, last years compendium was also not nearly as hard/grindy to level or unlock things for. Apparently you got a lot more items just by playing and such than this year?

How exactly does the design suck? The whole point of the thing is to basically be a "program" for TI5 viewers and to contribute to eSports directly, and then they throw in these stretch goals that encourage people to basically donate more money for it. You don't get every hat handed to you on a silver platter, and it's kind of nice that the people that basically donated more get the nicer stuff, such as the Enigma bracers/golden Black Hole.

you get more off the bat at level 1 here than you did last year the whole time minus some dumb hero challenge crap

Kalnos

Banned
How exactly does the design suck? The whole point of the thing is to basically be a "program" for TI5 viewers and to contribute to eSports directly, and then they throw in these stretch goals that encourage people to basically donate more money for it. You don't get every hat handed to you on a silver platter, and it's kind of nice that the people that basically donated more get the nicer stuff, such as the Enigma bracers/golden Black Hole.

The non-store related ways of getting points are too unreliable for anyone to feel like they're making progress. If Valve wants the later rewards (Enigma bracers) to be for people who spend lots of money on the compendium then IMO they should just scrape the small amounts of points because they feel like a tease atm.

And... as I'm writing this blog post with new ways to earn points, neat.

Trickster

you get more off the bat at level 1 here than you did last year the whole time minus some dumb hero challenge crap

Not exactly sure what you mean, you get more from level 1 in the 2015 compendium than from all the levels in the 2014? Because that certainly isn't even remotely true from what I can tell after a quick glance through of the 2014 compendium.

Pratfall

i honestly think valve should be arrested for delaying these immortals a week
haste.gif

KingKong

now we riot ↻(*`ー´)ψ

item recycling is welcome news though, now I can get rid of all those crappy duplicates that I couldnt even trade or sell

Acinixys

i honestly think valve should be arrested for delaying these immortals a week
haste.gif

We’re still working on building the second set of Immortal items, but they’re not quite ready yet.

AKA

We knew the Compendium was coming, but we decided to have a wank instead of do anything about it

rage.gif

now we riot ↻(*`ー´)ψ

item recycling is welcome news though, now I can get rid of all those crappy duplicates that I couldnt even trade or sell

As far as I know you cant recycle untradables

Sorry bro

Trickster

AKA

We knew the Compendium was coming, but we decided to have a wank instead of do anything about it

rage.gif

But we shouldn't be upset about this, because they were even worse about it last year. So this year it's okay. Or something, I dunno?

Maybe it's something you come to accept after a certain amount of time playing the game?

Big Dog

Not exactly sure what you mean, you get more from level 1 in the 2015 compendium than from all the levels in the 2014? Because that certainly isn't even remotely true from what I can tell after a quick glance through of the 2014 compendium.

You must not read much.

Here you can see at the bottom the level requirements for getting compendium related items. The ONLY thing you get for a Level 1 2014 compendium is a 200% battle booster which was eventually removed as a mechanic entirely.

And so far a Level 1 2015 compendium nets you 1 International 2015 coin charm, 1 International 2015 cursor pack, 1 Immortal Treasure I 2015, 1 Effigy Block of TI5, 1 Portfolio of Heroes Envisioned Wallpaper pack, TI5 Emoticon Pack I, TI5 HUD, 1 Treasure of Taunts, and The Watcher Below Ward. That is exactly 9 times as many things as the TI4 treasure provides at Level 1. And will continue to grow as Immortal Treasure II & III are unlocked. Along with the Wyvern Courier and the Sand Map.

Trickster

You must not read much.

Here you can see at the bottom the level requirements for getting compendium related items. The ONLY thing you get for a Level 1 2014 compendium is a 200% battle booster which was eventually removed as a mechanic entirely.

And so far a Level 1 2015 compendium nets you 1 International 2015 coin charm, 1 International 2015 cursor pack, 1 Immortal Treasure I 2015, 1 Effigy Block of TI5, 1 Portfolio of Heroes Envisioned Wallpaper pack, TI5 Emoticon Pack I, TI5 HUD, 1 Treasure of Taunts, and The Watcher Below Ward. That is exactly 9 times as many things as the TI4 treasure provides at Level 1. And will continue to grow as Immortal Treasure II & III are unlocked. Along with the Wyvern Courier and the Sand Map.

Well, I looked at the actual compendium through a friends profile in the game. And that thing lists rewards differently from what you linked. That link I'm assuming doesn't feature the things unlocked via stretchgoals.

Also, like I said, I wasn't sure what exactly was meant. The wording made it seem to me like he was saying that you get more stuff from a level1 2015 compendium, than a full level 100 2014 compendium, which certainly isn't the case.

Mohasus

I had 120-130 too in dota1 wc3 too, but i think i'm lower than that now.

I meant warcraft III as in the RTS game, not dota 1. :p

My apm used to be one of the lowest in dota 1, I just don't have the need to click on the ground 20 times when once is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom