• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also fuck Medusa who go Phase Linkins as first items with 20 minutes of complete free farm and jungle. I don't know how it's possible to CS that poor, but level 11 with 1 point in splitshot and 2 in ultimate probably was part of it.
sick.gif

Sanjay

4k baby, the Dirge goes on and on.
4kMMRBaby.jpg

undyingBallencedHero.jpg

You're the best
goodjob.gif

What's the point of this? I don't get what's proven by raising your MMR by spamming a hero that's strong in the meta? You see people in pro streams all that time that either boosted or spammed a strong hero to get a higher rating and they're clueless about actual high level play and it's obvious even to a trench scrub like myself when they're playing next to actually skilled players.

facepalm.gif

Whats the point of winning?

What's the point of this? I don't get what's proven by raising your MMR by spamming a hero that's strong in the meta? You see people in pro streams all that time that either boosted or spammed a strong hero to get a higher rating and they're clueless about actual high level play and it's obvious even to a trench scrub like myself when they're playing next to actually skilled players.

Meh nothing wrong with spamming a hero. The other players you play on your new MMR might've done the same for all you know. 4k feels good man.

Low Tier
Kappa.

haters are ur motivators kirby

if we both queue at like 9 am EST and i wait like 10 minutes I could be in ur game.
GQfEBpI.gif

I don't see why or how this would even work, medallion makes sense, solar Crest seems like a waste of gold.

I would say even Medallion is iffy. She doesn't need the armor reduction that badly, and the regen is easily matched with something like an Aquila for cheaper. I saw it on a Clinkz one time and it was effective. It's kind of the ultimate 3-4 position luxury item.

Yo guys, let me ask you one thing that's been bugging me ever since I picked up Dota 2.5 years ago: Do you get bored quickly with most games that aren't Dota just because they are mechanically and strategically unchallenging comparatively? Been playing GTA V lately and that gameplay is so simple and shallow in comparison, I can't bring myself to play 30 mins of GTA over a game of Dota. There's just no point playing mechanically inferior games when a single good game of Dota offers more in any regard possible (by a fucking landslide) than any overhyped shallow AAA game out there.

Wok

Yo guys, let me ask you one thing that's been bugging me ever since I picked up Dota 2.5 years ago: Do you get bored quickly with most games that aren't Dota just because they are mechanically and strategically unchallenging comparatively? Been playing GTA V lately and that gameplay is so simple and shallow in comparison, I can't bring myself to play 30 mins of GTA over a game of Dota. There's just no point playing mechanically inferior games when a single good game of Dota offers more in any regard possible (by a fucking landslide) than any overhyped shallow AAA game out there.

Sounds like addiction.

Not quite since I put down Dota 2 pretty much completely for over a year (not counting WC3 Dota here but that's a different story). But in that space I was playing WoW quite heavily and there just wasn't time. Dota is a huge time sink if you get into it on the scale of an MMO - and you can really only have (at least for me) your attention on one multiplayer game like that at a time. Which makes sense, since I've thought for a long time that Dota is sort of the MMO experience condensed into a ~45 minute chunk. You level up, get items, have some PvE, some PvP, etc.

I'm done playing 'dota' tonight

HxffHyM.png
dac15_fantastic.gif

I've not been consistent enough for the charms to be worth anything. Maybe a side effect of solo queuing, but I fizzled one coin charm, and have a strike on another.

Not quite since I put down Dota 2 pretty much completely for over a year (not counting WC3 Dota here but that's a different story). But in that space I was playing WoW quite heavily and there just wasn't time. Dota is a huge time sink if you get into it on the scale of an MMO - and you can really only have (at least for me) your attention on one multiplayer game like that at a time. Which makes sense, since I've thought for a long time that Dota is sort of the MMO experience condensed into a ~45 minute chunk. You level up, get items, have some PvE, some PvP, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure WoW is one of those games as well that just makes playing anything else pointless. Most of my buddies basically play the FotM game for a few hours, eventually drop it unfinished and go back to Dota/LoL/CSGO/WoW/Diablo 3.

JC Sera

I have a friend who went back to tf2 from dota and found he was much better due to learning the importance of positioning
so theres that

Nah, haven't played Dota 2 much lately. Other games just suck mostly. It has spoiled 98% of the gaming landscape for me essentially.
Have you tried playing games that aren't genetic AAA games? I mean it depends on your taste but I find RPGs complex enough to keep me interested, along with games that are hard to master like Platinum Games(fighting games are in the same boat but I don't play those).

I can still enjoy games like Mario Kart and GTA though, I don't expect to get the same out of those as I do out of Dota.

kionedrik

I don't see why or how this would even work, medallion makes sense, solar Crest seems like a waste of gold.

It's worth noting I went offlane so I had more freedom to try something different since I wasn't #1. The enemy also had a lot of tanky heroes so the extra -armor from SC was really helpful.

The main difference between Medallion and SC was tied to my damage output. With the first I got 500-700 crits and with SC I got 1k+ crits, all of this without any damage items and with lv2 CdG. Obviously the extra evasion was also nice and it led to some funny Benny Hill like chases.

My build order was Treads, Vlads, Medallion->SC, BKB, Basher->Abyssal. I learned that rushing SC was a mistake and I should probably go for BKB after Medallion and finish Crest after that. Next time I try this I'm also not going for Vlads, I'll get HoD instead.

Edit: For what it's worth, my final score was 17/6/13

Have you tried playing games that aren't genetic AAA games? I mean it depends on your taste but I find RPGs complex enough to keep me interested, along with games that are hard to master like Platinum Games(fighting games are in the same boat but I don't play those).

I can still enjoy games like Mario Kart and GTA though, I don't expect to get the same out of those as I do out of Dota.

Yeah, I've been sticking to non-AAA games mostly in the past 2.5 years actually. Played a couple of Shin Megami Tensei games (which I adore. Off the top of my head I finished Strange Journey, Devil Survivor: OC, Digital Devil Saga, Soul Hackers and SMT IV during my Dota 2 career), Xenoblade, Dying Light, Monster Hunter IV and a few others. Western AAA games with huge budgets and 95 metacritic scores though? Fuck that shit. Been let down by every single one of these turds.

edit: And Persona Q! That game was unfathomably good.

Satch

Banned
the only two games i play these days are Dota 2 and Dragon's Dogma

ive beaten DD twice but i cant beat the first boss in Bitterblack Isle

JambiBum

I kinda go through phases where I'll want to find another game to play that isn't Dota for a bit so I look for lots of different stuff, but I always go back to Dota. For a while I was fine with not playing it and just focusing on other stuff but then IHL happened and now I think about Dota all the damn time.
frBAang.png

kionedrik

Yeah, I've been sticking to non-AAA games mostly in the past 2.5 years actually. Played a couple of Shin Megami Tensei games (which I adore. Off the top of my head I finished Strange Journey, Devil Survivor: OC, Digital Devil Saga, Soul Hackers and SMT IV during my Dota 2 career), Xenoblade, Dying Light, Monster Hunter IV and a few others. Western AAA games with huge budgets and 95 metacritic scores though? Fuck that shit. Been let down by every single one of these turds.

You seem to like RPGs. Have you tried Dark Souls? What about wRPGs like Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars?

You should also try puzzle games. Easy to pick up and require commitment to complete. Get Hexcells.

I kinda go through phases where I'll want to find another game to play that isn't Dota for a bit so I look for lots of different stuff, but I always go back to Dota. For a while I was fine with not playing it and just focusing on other stuff but then IHL happened and now I think about Dota all the damn time.
frBAang.png

Dude, I'm the worst. I actually think about Dota 2 while playing other games and keep asking myself whether or not I should just spend my time playing Dota 2 instead where I'd have a better time anyways. This is my I mostly sticked to 3DS games in the past years because playing in the subway won't interfere with Dota.
And as I said, most of my friends just go back to Dota, Hearthstone, LoL, CSGO, TF2, WoW and so forth anyways after playing some random AAA game for three hours. It's just feels like a waste of time to commit time to mechanically simple ass games and my steam buddies seem to feel the same.

You seem to like RPGs. Have you tried Dark Souls? What about wRPGs like Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars?

You should also try puzzle games. Easy to pick up and require commitment to complete. Get Hexcells.

Yeah, I finished all Souls games and been playing Bloodborne the past days on my brother's PS4 which I borrowed. I own Divinity but I found the setting and the art design too ugly. :/

Wasteland 2 is too ugly as well (in terms of art. Don't care about graphics). Pillars, I was a backer of and I'm gonna play that one in fall for sure. I'm really looking forward to playing it as I love Obsidian. I just don't feel like playing it right now. Perhaps the weather's too good which is why I'm not in the mood or I don't know.

But yeah, I basically play RPGs only with a few exceptions. Almost finished Bayonetta 1 last year as well and liked it quite a bit despite not being a fan of the genre.

I have found very few JRPGs playable (DQ9, Earthbound, Paper Mario TTYD, Pokémon).

A very close friend of mine raves about Radiant Historia. I am a bit leery because "Atlus" and "JRPG" but has anyone played it before?

I have found very few JRPGs playable (DQ9, Earthbound, Paper Mario TTYD, Pokémon).

A very close friend of mine raves about Radiant Historia. I am a bit leery because "Atlus" and "JRPG" but has anyone played it before?

Never played Radiant Historia, but have you played the Mario and Luigi games? They seem right up your alley if you liked Paper Mario.

Wok

Dude, I'm the worst. I actually think about Dota 2 while playing other games and keep asking myself whether or not I should just spend my time playing Dota 2 instead where I'd have a better time anyways. This is my I mostly sticked to 3DS games in the past years because playing in the subway won't interfere with Dota.
And as I said, most of my friends just go back to Dota, Hearthstone, LoL, CSGO, TF2, WoW and so forth anyways after playing some random AAA game for three hours. It's just feels like a waste of time to commit time to mechanically simple ass games and my steam buddies seem to feel the same.

Come on, Hearthstone fits in the mechanically simple games. If people want to play something more serious, they play Magic. I don't think it is about game being simpler.

Come on, Hearthstone fits in the mechanically simple games. If people want to play something more serious, they play Magic. I don't think it is about game being simpler.

Never played Hearthstone. Simplicity sure is a fun killer for me. I can't stand when games don't respect my intelligence frankly.

JambiBum

I've been playing a lot of Kerbal Space Program lately now that it's officially out and it is doing a decent job of holding my attention. There's a lot of stuff to understand so it's not simple in the slightest. A bunch of my friends are hyped for The Witcher 3 but I'm pretty sure that if I start to play it I'll just stop caring about it after like ten hours.

abunai

Nah, haven't played Dota 2 much lately. Other games just suck mostly. It has spoiled 98% of the gaming landscape for me essentially.

I'm sort of the same. Although it might be just competitive games in general that have always done this to me. Team Fortress Classic, Brood War, Counter Strike, TF2 Promod, Dota. They've all managed to keep my attention over huge periods of years, resulting in big single player backlogs. The social/competitive mix in dota is too compelling; nothing in gaming (asides from vanilla WoW raiding, perhaps) has come close to the enjoyment of pulling off a 10k+ gold comeback with 4 friends all in sync.

6.83 resulted in me playing more of my backlog but with the new patch my gaming time has been almost exclusively dota. The Witcher 3 is next week, so I'll probably get stuck into that since I re-read the books recently.

But then there's Deus Ex
DsrA6Kc.gif
. GOTY all years. Need to do my annual replay at some point.

But then there's Deus Ex
DsrA6Kc.gif
. GOTY all years. Need to do my annual replay at some point.

DsrA6Kc.gif
HBoYecp.gif

IF hasn't managed to find a good balance between too early game and too late game focused metas since 6.79 tbh. :/ 6.83 was the worst shit though let's be real.

I liked the comeback concept and I think it was very close to being balanced with little tweaks but IF decided to scrap the whole mechanic and replaced it with the shit we have now.

Acinixys

Do you guys tend to stick to a small pool of heroes and master them, or play a little bit of everything?

Personally I can't help myself and try and play almost anything, even though there are a few heroes I'm very comfortable on, but that I've played enough that I'm kinda bored of them.

Ive played every hero except Invoker and Wisp

I liked the comeback concept and I think it was very close to being balanced with little tweaks but IF decided to scrap the whole mechanic and replaced it with the shit we have now.

6.83 was the first patch to actually made me lose interest in the game. A lot of friends who used to play regularly just gradually quit one after another just because of how bad a patch it was. While this patch seems to favour early game heroes by a quite a bit, I think it exposes bad drafts and punishes bad line ups and shitty lanes more. You could suck at Dota in 6.83 and win based on comeback mechanics alone. There was literally no skill involved in winning a game with Sniper in that patch as he is an inherently good base defender and could nullify anything you've done for the past 30 minutes. And 45% pickrate, yeah, very fun. Never has Dota 2 been as unrewading.

recycling items

leveled up

got another chest

GOLDEN LUNA SHIELD WOOO!!!

6.83 was the first patch to actually made me lose interest in the game. A lot of friends who used to play regularly just gradually quit one after another just because of how bad a patch it was. While this patch seems to favour early game heroes by a quite a bit, I think it exposes bad drafts and punishes bad line ups and shitty lanes more. You could suck at Dota in 6.83 and win based on comeback mechanics alone. There was literally no skill involved in winning a game with Sniper in that patch as he is an inherently good base defender and could nullify anything you've done for the past 30 minutes. And 45% pickrate, yeah, very fun. Never has Dota 2 been as unrewading.

Early 6.83 was bad for sure and sniper and troll were too strong.
Now it feels almost as bad as 6.83 early days, if you counter pick 1 or 2 heroes then get some kills the game is over and turns to a one sided game with little chance of coming back.
They went from too much comeback to too little.

Trickster

Anyone that have managed to get their 3 predictions right for one of the recycling charms? What kind of rewards do you get for it?

Acinixys

i cannot STAND queen of pop

ive been trying to go back to learning it and it still gives me aids
tears.gif
i dont know what her limit is so i stay overextending
tears.gif
back to bots i guess
tears.gif

Satch the #1 thing to remember on QoP is never blink INTO the enemy unless you are farmed as balls and can tank some damage. Only use blink to escape in the early game, unless you know your team is right there to back you up

wink.gif

Anyone that have managed to get their 3 predictions right for one of the recycling charms? What kind of rewards do you get for it?

You get an untradable set

Writhing Executioner, Incandescent Liturgy, Smoldering Journey, Tools of the Final Utterance, Baleful Hollow, Oath of the Afflicted Soul, Humble Drifter, Aspect of the Year Beast, Fatal Blossom, Onyx Lotus, Stellar Jade Raiments of the Sacrosanct, The Ram's Head Armaments, Crucible of Light, Blessing of the Crested Umbra, Sovereign of the Hive, Rider's Eclipse, Regalia of the Parasol's Sting, Bloody Ripper, Rider of Avarice, Arms of the Onyx Crucible, Umbra Rider, Scorched Fletcher, Deepweed Drowner, Transmuted Armaments, Rising Chaos, Eternal Fire, Crescent, Rightful Heir, Tribal Terror, Vestments of the Infinite Waves, Crystal Scavenger, The Witch Hunter, Dark Reef Escape, Cadenza Magic Master, Dark Angel, Hunter with No Name, Treasure of the Deep, Primeval Prophet, Static Lord, Heavenly General, Sanguine Royalty, The World Splitter, Everlasting Heat, Cicatrix Regalia, Array of Tranquility, Eternal Nymph, Imperial Relics, Father of the Forest, Sentinel of the Lucent Gate, Heirlooms of Aeol Drias, The Mourning Mother, Firestarter, Volatile Firmament, Obsidian Guard, Engulfing Spike, Snowstorm Huntress, Armor of the Stalwart Soul, Iceborn Trinity, Relics of the Sundered King, Dreadhawk Armor, Dame de Carreau, Hidden Flower, Ghastly Matriarch, The Fiend Cleaver, Legacy of Infernal Wings, Battletrap, Eldwurm's Touch, Monstrous Reprisal, Champion of Discord, Agaric Flourish, Warcog, Steam Chopper, Acid Hydra, Unbroken Stallion, Wrath of Ka, Azure Constellation, Errant Soldier, Guise of the Winged Bolt, The True Crow, Keen Machine, Resentment of the Banished Princess, Acolyte of Vengeance, Dragonterror, Garb of the Consuming Tides, Robes of the Heretic, Tempest's Wrath, Frozen Blood, Whisper of the Tribunal, Amberlight Raiment, Ocean Conqueror, The Blazing Superiority, Worldforger, Relentless Warbringer, Defender of Matriarch, Debts of the Nightwatchman, The Convicts' Trophies

Red UFO

Satch the #1 thing to remember on QoP is never blink INTO the enemy unless you are farmed as balls and can tank some damage. Only use blink to escape in the early game, unless you know your team is right there to back you up

wink.gif

Cheers for this little tip, I really suck as QOP and I'm definitely guilty of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom