• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinypogs

Pretty good line up, but you are requiring the random person on your team to be the core, but those three characters are strong and can fit most lane set ups. All 3 can mid, Wind Runner and Clockwerk can solo, and Warlock and Wind Runner can hard support. The biggest weakness is their stuns are ether high cooldown ultimates or unreliable.

Yeah, we're not co-oping vs the ai ( I do that when my friend aren't on) just practice so we have two ai teamates that just do whatever and it can be kinda frustrating. We're trying to get another 2 friends to start playing so we have a proper group, if/when that happens who would be good to add?

aeolist

Banned
Guys is clockwerk, warlock and windrunner an ok combination? I've sucked my two friends into the game recently and that happens to be the three heroes we prefer playing while we practice vs the ai. Assuming our combination is bad which hero should be swapped for clockwerk?

clock is good at splitting teams up and isolating heroes while warlock and wr want them clumped for their abilities

swap out clockwerk for dark seer some time for some sick vacuum + fatal bonds + chaotic offering + powershot shenanigans

Giggzy

Well then, I've signed my life away to valve. I never understood the appeal of MOBA's until this past week. I have overwhelming sympathy for every person in the world who has an addiction problem. I am that person now.

It started 9 days ago with my coworker. He's an avid League of Legends player. He's been trying to get me to play for months. I succumbed last week. I started playing, really enjoying myself, and feeling the pull. The complexities underneath the surface were, and are, mind-boggling. A couple days go by and I stumble across the TI3 thread. I open up the twitch feed and watch. Three days later and I'm still watching. Sunday rolls around and I tell my girlfriend she needs to go home because I have the grand finals to view. What a series that ended up being.

Since then I have engrossed myself in all that is dota. Constantly reading information about the game at work, on break, while I'm shitting etc.. I've upgraded my computer to run everything maxed at full fps. I tried my first player vs player game online with KOTL. I got rolled. Ended the game 1/11/3. Back to bots I go.

From my short time playing league I feel like dota is a whole new monster. I caught on to league quickly and was doing well in pvp games. Not the case in dota. I feel like there is so much more micro that needs to go on. It's very overwhelming, but I really appreciate the skill needed to just be decent. I'm on a quest now, and I can't be stopped.

Whoah cool it works in mobile
wNGVMnY.png

Yes!

YES!!!

Hurrah! I didn't even know anyone else wanted that.

BraXzy

Well then, I've signed my life away to valve. I never understood the appeal of MOBA's until this past week. I have overwhelming sympathy for every person in the world who has an addiction problem. I am that person now.

It started 9 days ago with my coworker. He's an avid League of Legends player. He's been trying to get me to play for months. I succumbed last week. I started playing, really enjoying myself, and feeling the pull. The complexities underneath the surface were, and are, mind-boggling. A couple days go by and I stumble across the TI3 thread. I open up the twitch feed and watch. Three days later and I'm still watching. Sunday rolls around and I tell my girlfriend she needs to go home because I have the grand finals to view. What a series that ended up being.

Since then I have engrossed myself in all that is dota. Constantly reading information about the game at work, on break, while I'm shitting etc.. I've upgraded my computer to run everything maxed at full fps. I tried my first player vs player game online with KOTL. I got rolled. Ended the game 1/11/3. Back to bots I go.

From my short time playing league I feel like dota is a whole new monster. I caught on to league quickly and was doing well in pvp games. Not the case in dota. I feel like there is so much more micro that needs to go on. It's very overwhelming, but I really appreciate the skill needed to just be decent. I'm on a quest now, and I can't be stopped.

Welcome my friend. Another member of the DOTA 2 DOTA club!
(Definitely overtly tremendously addicted to DotA)

If you need any tips add me on steam :) http://steamcommunity.com/id/BraXzy
I'm not that good... at all.

Calidor

Welcome! Some of us have been playing (on / off) for about 8 years and are still learning everyday :)

Einbroch

Banned
That could be a misleading statistic. I have played 200+ games, but I hardly play every day. However, if you took the games played and divided by the days I've been playing the game, it would average more than one game a day. I might play three games one day, none the rest of the week, then six games.

They make it seem like of those that play, 52% actually play one game a day.

That's my take.

Oh, and Engima is fun as hell. I literally shouted BLACK HOOOOOOOLE when I got four of their team. I felt stupid afterwards, but screw it, it was fun.

Einbroch

Banned
Via Steam, Valve would know directly if the player played once a day or not

Right, but really? Every day? I cannot believe that 52% of people that play the game haven't missed a day.

If someone is actively on Steam (buying games, playing any game, etc), the 52% of the people that play Dota play it every day. It can't just be idly on Steam, as people just leave it on. It would be interesting to find out the requirements for Valve to know what "can play Dota" means.

Here is the direct quote:

That's a good question, and part of how you phrased that is really interesting. There's this perception that Dota is incredibly hard to play, and incredibly difficult. But then you look at the data. We have more people playing Dota than we ever have had playing any game on Steam, any game we've ever made, or anyone else. There's an obvious conflict there: where are we getting all of these new players if that's so? The other stat that's interesting is how often people play the game. Once people play about five games of Dota, which is the point where statistically they're highly, highly likely to continue playing long term, 52% of our audience that can [their emphasis] play Dota 2 play it every day. It's not a widely used metric in the industry, but that stat isn't like other games. It's more like Facebook: how often do you check your Facebook profile?

So yeah I don't know what "can play" means to them. It's not completely clear whether "can" = has played > 5 games.

BraXzy

Is it actually possible to view old international games in the client yet? You look at prelims and click on a match and nothing happens o_O

sixghost

Guys is clockwerk, warlock and windrunner an ok combination? I've sucked my two friends into the game recently and that happens to be the three heroes we prefer playing while we practice vs the ai. Assuming our combination is bad which hero should be swapped for clockwerk?

Have someone try Magnus. RP and Hook/cogs is awesome every time it happens.

Shinypogs

Omfg, dark seer is way to much fun, just had a game messing around with him while my friend tried dazzle.

I still love clockwerk though.

So many choices and combos!

Wes

venison crêpe
My Engima good black hole to bad black hole ratio was 1:1 in that game. I'm pleased with that as things go. 1 was a big whiff. The other I got stunned immediately :|

Need to play that hero more but he's huge bait to get criticised over.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I always let new people play a veno / jugg lane. It's so godddam easy.

Dahbomb

Welcome to the game we play.

Nokterian

Welcome this game will suck up more time then no other game can do that.

Invest in a comfy, egronomic desk chair. you'll be sitting in it much more than you thought you would.

Acinixys

when Im on a losing streak I pick Jakiro and seem to win pretty much every time. and leading and landing nice ice paths feels great so its not even boring!

Jakiro is the best support hands down. Had a game today where i was bot with a Weaver as Radient vs a SK and a Lycan. Helped Weaver own the lane so hard he had a 13 min Linkins and a 20 min Radiance. We won at 25 mins. Good times

shit tier mm is always like this, i don't understand why people want to carry it's the hardest position to play.

Game ID plz Carbine

Carry is actually the easiest position to play. It just has a prerequisite barrier to entry (last hitting). Support on the other hand is the easiest position to start on but the hardest position to play competently since you have to contribute to your team with limited amount of money and a lower hero leveling ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom