• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

What would you like them to say?

Sorry you didn't beat the deadline?

Edit: I like his math on the chances of ten entangles in a row.

I would like them to refund it? Because 1) the servers were down the last like 5-6 hours so you couldnt buy the keys to open chests you had. and then they continued to sell them after the chests had expired... Sorry i have better things to do then sit and have a countdown of when the chests expire so i didnt have time to double check before i bought a key that was still being sold?

SamuraiX-

EIZO Cup #7 Single-Elimination Rounds start now!

miVTIG4.png

Team Empire vs Power Rangers is about to start on the stream.

sixghost

wattttttttt? I agree he is harder to play than Meepo. I enjoy playing as him though. Persuading various creeps is fun. I hate it though when all of my creatures die and I have to scour the jungle again for 3 neutrals...

ALso, why is Dragonblood Ravager priced soooo high? Did it come on a limited edition chest or something?

I've played both Meepo and Chen a ton, and Meepo is far harder to play competently. Especially against teams that know to smoke gank the secondary Meepos in the jungle, it's a nightmare to make it to scepter.

Zeknurn

I had a game last night where a guy on the other team spent the last 20 minutes of the game complaining that I was CLEARLY using an "entangle hack" on Lone Druid. Here is a bit of a best of:

http://i.imgur.com/nmqV42V.jpg

"MY FRIEND GOT BANNED FOR 7 YEARS" is probably my favorite. The sad part is, his team was up 7500 gold/XP on us and he had a better GPM than me when he started complaining. It made our victory even sweeter.

So, did you use the entangle hack?

profit

Man, I just played a fun game as Earthshaker, I really like playing a support character.
My team being a friendly bunch also helped a lot.

<3 Dota 2

ElyrionX

Does Vlad lifesteal not work for all ranged heroes even if it is in the inventory of the hero? More specifically, does the lifesteal work for Luna if she carries it?

Does Vlad lifesteal not work for all ranged heroes even if it is in the inventory of the hero? More specifically, does the lifesteal work for Luna if she carries it?

just melee heroes.

It's my favorite item to pick up on teams with two or more melee damage dealers, and I think it is a better pickup than mek after 25 mins or so.

Artanisix

Power Rangers has been in the scene for awhile. They're pretty good, obviously not top tier but they have the potential.

Vlads is still a good pickup for all ranged teams simply for the armor aura. It's great for pushing and overall mitigation against physical damage dealers. Very cost effective.

I finally got around to making an autoexec.cfg for Dota. I have a ton of scripts in TF2 so it was only a matter of time. Though Dota doesn't seem to require as many configs... the only ones I have so far are:

dota_disable_range_finder "0"

dota_minimap_hero_size "800"

dota_force_right_click_attack "1"

I was so confused why dota_range_display wasn't working, until I found out that Valve now considers it a cheat, so it's disabled in regular games.

I'm debating putting dota_minimap_misclick_time "0.4" to avoid those embarrassing moments where I run toward an enemy by accident when I'm trying to run away.

I haven't messed with rates yet. I did that in CS 1.6 but I never really noticed a difference. My more serious friends were very adamant about having the perfect rates.

Glix

I finally got around to making an autoexec.cfg for Dota. I have a ton of scripts in TF2 so it was only a matter of time. Though Dota doesn't seem to require as many configs... the only ones I have so far are:

I was so confused why dota_range_display wasn't working, until I found out that Valve now considers it a cheat, so it's disabled in regular games.

I'm debating putting dota_minimap_misclick_time "0.4" to avoid those embarrassing moments where I run toward an enemy by accident when I'm trying to run away.

I haven't messed with rates yet. I did that in CS 1.6 but I never really noticed a difference. My more serious friends were very adamant about having the perfect rates.

dota_entangle_proc "100"

shira

Is this the kawaii minimap icons? I can't remember.

I had that for a week and it was super frustrating. Definitely caused way more problems than it fixed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
From item description.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that it changes from being a UAM that works on ranged heroes as Morbid Mask into an aura that effects only Melee as the full Vlads. Like, it can seem weird that the lifesteal is now granted by an aura that is also effecting you.

Hylian7

I've played both Meepo and Chen a ton, and Meepo is far harder to play competently. Especially against teams that know to smoke gank the secondary Meepos in the jungle, it's a nightmare to make it to scepter.
Holy shit this so much! I went against a Shadow Blade/MoM Sniper once. If he ever showed up on one of my secondary Meepos, there was no saving it as the constant headshots would stop the Poofs out.

sixghost

Failed level 1 rosh by them, then a 7 minute fight over who could finish off rosh, who was <1000 hp the entire time. The other team bought back just about every single time they could. Then we started passing around rapiers.

Easily the most fun, and most dumb game I've ever played.

I only have show net_graph to see the ping and FPS at all time. All I need really.

shira

Besides the removal of Sneyking, Universe is speculated to leave Dignitas to form a new team with Fear. If true, this new team would most probably be under EG's sponsorship.

Alliance.USA

lmpaler

I had a game last night where a guy on the other team spent the last 20 minutes of the game complaining that I was CLEARLY using an "entangle hack" on Lone Druid. Here is a bit of a best of:

nmqV42V.jpg

"MY FRIEND GOT BANNED FOR 7 YEARS" is probably my favorite. The sad part is, his team was up 7500 gold/XP on us and he had a better GPM than me when he started complaining. It made our victory even sweeter.

That's...... Utterly ridiculous lol.

Hylian7

http://pastebin.com/iwv8T5vU

You don't have F1 & F2 locked on the rune spawns?
I need to set this up, but not on those keys. F1 is hero and F2 is courier for me. I love having muscle memory for courier commands. Really helps with micro heroes like Meepo or Lone Druid. Speaking of LD, my bear game is really improving lately. Had some great games with him lately. Once you get the micro down it's fun.

Hylian7

What does it do?
Ever watched my stream? If you have, you might notice a green line on all my spells when I cast them. It's bright green when you are in range from the casting point, and is dark when you aren't. Part of the line is red showing how much further you have to move to be in range.

It's particularly useful for stuff like the Pudge or Clockwerk hook, since you can easily measure if you are even in range to make the hook instead of just eyeballing it.

Rahk

Stupid ass steam support

Their response to them selling TI3 keys even after the chests expired "dont worry it will change into a regular key"

OH GEE THANKS! Cant wait to open a juggernaut chest!
Steam Support is the worst. Keep trying to get a refund. That's bullshit. They'll probably just give you the generic 'we don't offer refunds for digital items' response and won't budge though.

J2d

As a complete dota noob I have to ask, is starting a match only fighting neutral creeps ever a good idea? I fucking hate it when someone spends the first ten minutes running around and just farming them when they could be helping out in a lane, is there something I am missing?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As a complete dota noob I have to ask, is starting a match only fighting neutral creeps ever a good idea? I fucking hate it when someone spends the first ten minutes running around and just farming them when they could be helping out in a lane, is there something I am missing?

It's a strategy called "jungling". Jungling is where one player uses the neutral as an additional source of gold and exp allowing for two solo lanes. The problem is most heroes cannot handle a non-mid solo-lane so the solo laner needs to pick a specific solo hero, called a suicide. Usually they're starved for gold but not necessarily exp, which is more important. And the jungler gets to farm with impunity, usually accelerating their build into some key item or, if it's like Axe and Chen, applying pressure on the duo lane without eating up their exp and gold.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

yes, sometimes it's better for just 1 hero to be screwed rather than 2. there are some heroes that excel in the jungle and this can give you an advantage over the enemy team

KingKong

It's so crazy that Lockless Luckbox prices are going up. I get that it's a limited supply but who in their right mind would pay 80 dollars when they could just buy any item except the shadow blade for less? It doesnt even make sense as speculation since as soon as they're back in stock for $10 everything is going to drop drop drop

Giggzy

When I watch streams of professional players I constantly hear them spamming keys. It's kind of like watching starcraft. What exactly are they spamming? I understand all the micro needed in SC, but in dota I don't really notice them doing anything.

Dahbomb

When I watch streams of professional players I constantly hear them spamming keys. It's kind of like watching starcraft. What exactly are they spamming? I understand all the micro needed in SC, but in dota I don't really notice them doing anything.
Spamming the S key for the stop animation or tapping the F1 button to camera center their hero.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

They could be looking elsewhere in the map then double tapping their hero key to return to where they are. Might be spamming the stop key as well

Kade

So...

...I've got 100+ matchmaking wins under my belt and a few dozen in-house matches with another community that I'm a part of. In total, I've probably played more than 300 matches and I'm definitely at a point where I am "into" Dota 2 and enjoy playing, even when I'm losing. Regardless of outcome, each match is a learning experience and I leave one match with something I can take into the next. With this increase in game sense, so to speak, I've started becoming more conscious of my habits and have more or less been successful with ironing out the bad ones. However, one thing that I've noticed that I still haven't fixed is experience and gold gains. This is something I notice when it's usually too late but I'll just open up the scoreboard and see that I'm underleveled relative to other players; teammates, enemies, same role, etc. When I play as support it's not really a big deal but as I branch out and start playing more games as non-support heroes I almost always have less farm and worse items than what I think I should have or compared to others. I'll end the game with half finished items or items barely started.

I try my best to stay in the experience range of kills but nothing discourages me more in the laning phase than seeing my lanemate with better farm than me when we've basically experienced the same things happening (obviously not, though). I'll attribute a significant portion of it to my ineptitude when it comes to last hitting. There are also times where I don't know where I should be and I'll just be wandering the map which is also a good contributor to this lack of farm.

My question to you guys is what can I do to stay in level, farm, gold parity with the rest of my team throughout the duration of the game and all its phases? Things get tougher for me when the number of safe places to farm decreases and going out beyond the towers or the confines of my base mean certain death. It would be nice to finish even matchup games with more than 1 or 2 items completed. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom