• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

JC Sera

wooooo exams finished
naga-song1.gif

now for the next lot in 2 months & my 4k chapter
happytears.gif

but I also got a job!
YAY

Chris R

Why do I keep getting shitty teammates :( Just ask for some ward coverage since Rubick has two in their inventory, only to have them place both under T1 mid because I didn't TP down earlier to die with him and our PA

frontovik

Banned
I didn't have any interest in MOBAs until recently, and have decided to give DOTA2 a try. I've learned the basics through the tutorial, and have completed one regular match. Yay?

However, I don't want to be a noob for too long, GAF! Lend me your wisdom and advice on how to be useful to my team!!

Any general tips or fundamental advice would be appreciated. I'll be sure to Google beginner's guides as well.

At this point, I suppose my only questions are:

- What's the best way to level up quickly
- Effective use of couriers and item shops
- Distinguishing between the shops available on the battlefield
- The ideal items to buy,
- With regards to character class selection, should I take the needs of the team into consideration and fulfill a role? Or can I just go with whatever I feel comfortable with.
- What's this DOTA2 compendium all about?
- Anyone willing to be to a coach?
- Do items such as boots of agility stack?

HALP!

I didn't have any interest in MOBAs until recently, and have decided to give DOTA2 a try. I've learned the basics through the tutorial, and have completed one regular match. Yay?

However, I don't want to be a noob for too long, GAF! Lend me your wisdom and advice on how to be useful to my team!!

Any general tips or fundamental advice would be appreciated. I'll be sure to Google beginner's guides as well.

- With regards to character class selection, should I take the needs of the team into consideration and fulfill a role? Or can I just go with whatever I feel comfortable with.

HALP!

-stay in the lane, don't die (can't emphasize this one enough)
-uhhh dont run all the way to the shop unless it's on the way. dont want to miss out on gold and exp if you dont have to
-side shops are in top and bottom lane, there are secret shops for each respective side
-it always depends
-at this point my advice is to find a few heroes to get comfortable with before you branch out (http://solarcrest.weebly.com/uploads/5/3/8/8/53881843/hero_difficulty_guide.pdf)
-compendium is essentially a digital booklet that was for the international and had challenges, rewards, etc.
-you can add me if you want (http://steamcommunity.com/id/iarebert/) ill try to help out
-do boots stack? no

Experience is split amongst all heroes in the area so the best way to Level up quickly is to hang out in lane or in the jungle alone. this is obviously more dangerous so you need to try to keep tabs where the enemy is.

You just need to learn this really. Go into a private match and look at what is available in the 3 shops.

You can use in game guides. The book icon in the top left corner opens the menu. Pick one that is highly rated and start from there.

At your level you can probably get away with picking what feels comfortable, but team composition is extremely important.

It is basically a digital program for The International. Buying it gets you a bunch of items and let you make predictions about the games. Stuff like that. Don't worry about this years. There is always next year.

Sure. You can add me on Steam. Username is Greedycheese

Do you mean stack as in only take up one inventory slot or stack as in the effects of the item stack? If you mean the former, then consumable items will stack on each other. If you mean the latter then mostly, yes. One of the things about Dota is that there are exceptions to almost every single rule.

HALP!

If you haven't seen it yet Purge's guide is a good place to start wrapping your head around the game.

Azusa

What do you do with clueless players that picked clearly support hero but thought that its a carry? Sometimes they cant understand it even after 15 deaths. They keep going solo against enemy strong carries and miserably die 1vs1, then repeat.

JC Sera

HALP!
http://solarcrest.weebly.com/blog/ti5-compilation

Wok

What do you do with clueless players that picked clearly support hero but thought that its a carry? Sometimes they cant understand it even after 15 deaths. They keep going solo against enemy strong carries and miserably die 1vs1, then repeat.

Maybe make sure people know their roles before the draft ends.

However, the basic rule in solo-queue pubs is: do not expect strangers to support other strangers, the carry should be able to manage by himself.

patapuf

asking them to wait for the team before attacking or something like "back" when you see he will die if he attacks is pretty much the only thing you can do.

There are players that are just stubborn (or they just don't care). Not much you can do about that.

yarden24

HALP!

as others have said purge is very helpful for new players.

if you want you can add me on steam , yarden24, ill be happy to help you

HALP!
I've been watching replays of pros and I realize they use the minimap alot. Even more than the actual screen.

I'm about to watch Fantastic Four in a couple hours

Pray for me
One of the worst films I have watched in the last decade. Don't do it.
Reborn 10v10 is up, anyone wanna play?
Realistically this 10v10 gamemode isn't going to work the majority of the time.

Waiting for 20 players to ready up and then hoping that no one fails to load. Not to mention that the gamemode isn't being hosted on a dedicated server.

he's the most 'snowball or die' hero in the game atm i think. as long as you're ahead you're fine. but the second you drop behind, how do you catch up? your damage is too low, you can't farm well, you're incredibly item dependent...it's a mess.

Always get Midas on him. He ain't good at the moment sadly.

edit: ez 0% winrate commend: http://www.dotabuff.com/players/180637124/matches?date=&hero=outworld-devourer&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=&timezone=Europe%2FBerlin

One of the worst films I have watched in the last decade. Don't do it.

Realistically this 10v10 gamemode isn't going to work the majority of the time.

Waiting for 20 players to ready up and then hoping that no one fails to load. Not to mention that the gamemode isn't being hosted on a dedicated server.

Whats happening to Secret Matt? will it still be around in three weeks?

TUSR

Banned
I kind of get why mids like rtz and sumail like playing windrunner

lots of really impactful spells early on, good laning potential, and scales really well into the late game while also being able to build a lot of really useful items. Kind of blows in the midgame when carries start getting bkbs and she doesn't yet have the one or two damage items she needs for focus fire to kick in

Top Bottom