• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

abunai

Has volvo made it so that we can unbind mouse4/5 from going back/forward in the reborn menus? Irritating as all hell when m4 is my mumble button.

Its finally official
xt9a8vL.png

Burning reunites with Super! and ice3

yarden24

wanted to bring up something interesting that happened to a guy I know that plays.

Now the guy started playing about the same time as me, he went from about 3200-3600 mmr regularly and couldn't seem to raise his mmr (i'm at roughly the same ranges) so he decided to make a smurf and see what mmr he can get, the result: 4200 mmr
I thought he might be spamming certain heroes, but that doesn't seem to be the case, what do you guys think it says about the mmr system? he has about 200 games on the account so you cant credit try harding for a short number of games,

here is the smurf account on dota buff:
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/218464051/matches

G.ZZZ

wanted to bring up something interesting that happened to a guy I know that plays.

Now the guy started playing about the same time as me, he went from about 3200-3600 mmr regularly and couldn't seem to raise his mmr (i'm at roughly the same ranges) so he decided to make a smurf and see what mmr he can get, the result: 4200 mmr
I thought he might be spamming certain heroes, but that doesn't seem to be the case, what do you guys think it says about the mmr system? he has about 200 games on the account so you cant credit try harding for a short number of games,

here is the smurf account on dota buff:
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/218464051/matches

It means it's all a conspiracy to keep people below 4k

yarden24

It means calibrating early is stoopid
And it means you should be able to recalibrate like once a year

and what about the whole, if you are good enough you should be able to raise your mmr ?

it makes sense ,or alteast that's what I thought until now,but maybe the trench is real, and yada yada yada

You will be able to raise your MMR if you're good enough, though I think you have to be WAY better than your MMR if you want to do it at a fast pace. Because you basically have to be able to carry bad teams to victory and that's really hard if you're just slightly better than your MMR.

yarden24

You will be able to raise your MMR if you're good enough, though I think you have to be WAY better than your MMR if you want to do it at a fast pace. Because you basically have to be able to carry bad teams to victory and that's really hard if you're just slightly better than your MMR.

then why can someone not raise his mmr for like 2000 games, yet when he makes a smurf its up by almost 1k?

then why can someone not raise his mmr for like 2000 games, yet when he makes a smurf its up by almost 1k?

Pretty much I agree, I calibrated at 1k and after some time I decided to try out a smurf just to see how well I fared and got calibrated at 3k bracket, tho since I don't really care much about it I just play on my main account. I think the ideal scenario would be If your mmr was something seasonal, or at the very least something you could be able to re-calibrate after a certain time.

kionedrik

Sometimes even that isn't enough:

It's impossible to carry 4 dead-weights. It might happen 1/10 times but the image above is the most probable outcome when you are paired with 4 braindead human beings.

Being good is not enough. You need luck in getting paired with someone that won't actively sabotage any chance of winning you have.

inkls

I can't look away

It's impossible to carry 4 dead-weights. It might happen 1/10 times but the image above is the most probable outcome when you are paired with 4 braindead human beings.

Being good is not enough. You need luck in getting paired with someone that won't actively sabotage any chance of winning you have.

That must not happen enough to prevent you from climbing

gai_shain

so what you are saying is that people that want to raise their mmr are paired with braindead people and the enemy team doesnt get them because the system knows that 1 player wants to raise his mmr`?

kionedrik

so what you are saying is that people that want to raise their mmr are paired with braindead people and the enemy team doesnt get them because the system knows that 1 player wants to raise his mmr`?

I wasn't feeding any conspiracy theory. Just making a point that being good isn't enough to win a game by solo carrying your team, even if you are by far the best player on both teams (and assuming you're playing scaling core).

I can't put down in words the frustration I felt, and still feel, when I lost that game.

That must not happen enough to prevent you from climbing

But at the end of the day this is theoretically true. However, I don't know what info the MM algorithm uses to determine who you're paired with. It might not seem too far fetched to assume it considers win or lose streaks when forming the teams.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have the dumbest theory for MGSV that I want to post as a joke, but think there is a chance its true. Spoilered just in case.

What if the Snake we play in MGSV is actually Zero :eek: :eek: :eek:

Top Bottom