• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Quesa

I have the dumbest theory for MGSV that I want to post as a joke, but think there is a chance its true. Spoilered just in case.

What if the Snake we play in MGSV is actually Zero :eek: :eek: :eek:

Miller says something about Zero already being bedridden around the time of GZ, so I don't think so. Knowing this cockamamie series though, it could be as much a hint as anything else.

OT: Dota 2 y'all. How about it.

Demoli

I'm only halfway through season 3 but Korra is really mediocre so far compared to Last Airbender.

Season 3 of Korra is prob the best of the Korra series. Season 4 is hot garbage tho.
sick.gif

Uriah

Is anyone having trouble playing custom games in Reborn? It seems that 9 times out of 10 people ready up, but then the game hangs on "waiting for players" screen.

Season 3 of Korra is prob the best of the Korra series. Season 4 is hot garbage tho.
sick.gif
So far season 3 looks promising but still not very convincing. Season 2 was just terrible though, this love triangle is one of the worst I've ever seen.
I never watched Season 4 cus I just wasn't interested. By contrast, I watched the entirety of TLA in one weekend cus I got so hooked.

Same here, I'm having trouble motivating myself to keep watching. It's not that it's bad, I just don't really care. TLA was absolutely amazing, the villains were so much better. PS where is my Azula mod for Lina, it's so obvious.

Re: MMR and recalibration...

I'd be massively in favour of the ability to re-calibrate your MMR once a year or something. In basically every PvP game I've played (that has an ELO/MMR system), there are MMR "pits" where in there are tons of players and luck plays a bigger role in the player's ability to climb than it normally would.

Thing is, the players who belong a ways beyond these pits tend to completely hop over them, leading them to believe they don't exist. For examples, I'm pretty confident 2.8k-3k is one such pit. It might go beyond there, but my experience was that there were tons of players who were very good stuck there due to a huge variation in player skill. I used to mash CM when I was in that bracket, and I saw the same players over and over again. Unsurprisingly, multiple players I regularly saw there immediately jumped like 200 MMR after getting out of that area. League has it way worse in high silver/all of gold last time I played. And WoW had it back when I played arenas in early/mid Cata.

Low Tier
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1766831285

i fucking owned this game and it was a 5100 average

just gotta believe in urself

bUrself

serious note though: MMR resets would just fuck up the ladder. Either make it seasonal or dont reset it at all. The problem with seasonal resets is that since it takes so long for a player to get back to their regular mmr, it would just cause havoc in games as skill disparity becomes an issue for a very long time.

You are where you are at for a reason, just get better dawg

cm-kiss.gif

Chris R

Seasonal Ladder timed with the Majors, what's so hard about that Volvo?

I know I'll always be a trench dweller, I just want to enjoy the games I play and be grouped with not idiots :(

bUrself

serious note though: MMR resets would just fuck up the ladder. Either make it seasonal or dont reset it at all. The problem with seasonal resets is that since it takes so long for a player to get back to their regular mmr, it would just cause havoc in games as skill disparity becomes an issue for a very long time.

cm-kiss.gif
Seasonal recalibrations would be cool. Full resets just screw everyone for a few weeks though.

bUrself

cm-kiss.gif

that raze double kill mid
WAOW

Yasae

Banned
I wasn't feeding any conspiracy theory. Just making a point that being good isn't enough to win a game by solo carrying your team, even if you are by far the best player on both teams (and assuming you're playing scaling core).

I can't put down in words the frustration I felt, and still feel, when I lost that game.

But at the end of the day this is theoretically true. However, I don't know what info the MM algorithm uses to determine who you're paired with. It might not seem too far fetched to assume it considers win or lose streaks when forming the teams.
I haven't spent enough time in ranked to be sure if it does. In unranked it unquestionably does. It's still rather problematic when it wants you to carry a team. There should be at least 2 other realistic candidates on either team, but that's not usually how it works out. It's often one or two people doing a bunch of work and three others coasting or feeding. I've been there, I've coasted some very easy ranked games where all I had to do was twiddle my thumbs, so everyone parroting their ridicule can shut the fuck up. Forever. Clearly the game doesn't give you only unwinnable circumstances.

You shouldn't have to play a scaling core anyway. Are there not other players in the game? Are they not trying to win? If the game really matched you properly you wouldn't have to play core all the time. It doesn't track player strengths or anything terribly specific, and as a result the team composition falters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll accept resets only if we get end-of-season ranked rewards like Hat packs and HUD skins.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll accept resets only if we get end-of-season ranked rewards like Hat packs and HUD skins.

Would a Trophy image be enough of a reward? Maybe some sort of Ward or Courier that had a particle effect based on your final rank.

I think I would play ranked a lot more if it had 3 month Seasons. Could be its own thing, though Valve doesn't seem to like making more Queues.

rip singsing stack, 8/2015 - 9/2015

I can't believe the difference between watching someone like Sumail and watching Ar1se trying to play Storm Spirit in this game, it's like night and day, he wastes way too much mana in teamfights by making unnecessary lengthy jumps all the time, he freaks out so easily at the slightest sign of danger.

yarden24

cm-kiss.gif

it would solve the problem of the constantly inflating mmr though, there is no reason for 8000mmr ,it only makes lopsided games

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it would solve the problem of the constantly inflating mmr though, there is no reason for 8000mmr ,it only makes lopsided games
That doesn't make sense though, if their MMR is inflated it implies that they're not 'really' 8k MMR; if the games are lopsided it implies that they are actually that much better.

Mordeccai

man I wish I had an easy weekend coming up. fucking on call for 90 hours starting on Friday all the way through Monday. got work to do Saturday guaranteed for at least 6 hours. Another guaranteed 3 on Sunday. And lord knows that some drunken idiot is gonna hurt himself and require surgery on Monday FML

Set it up like League of Legends. No reason to reinvent the wheel at all. Tie hats to maximum MMR thresholds reached and make seasons with a definitive start and end date.

2k tier - Loading screen?
3k tier - Loading screen and set?
4k tier - Loading screen, set and courier
5k tier+ - Loading screen, set, courier, HUD skin

Hylian7

Regarding the MMR thing, if you play games fairly often on account, you will get where you should be. In yarden's friend's case he just did calibration games and stopped. I guarantee you if he kept playing, his MNR would most likely drop closer to his main account

Take it from someone that used to believe in the "trench": Your MMR is pretty close to accurate (as long as you play ranked games of course). Last night I had a match in Reborn (higher MMR variance there since fewer players) where I had a 4.5k safelane Storm, and there was a 4.5k on the other team. Both teams' average MMR was around 4.3k. The Storm bitched and complained about everything from minute zero. He wasn't happy with the supports on his lane, and kept saying " The game is already over, we lost " despite the fact that the game hadn't even hit the 5 minute mark.

We won. I told him to relax, and that we can win this game. I don't care of the offlane Pugna got a ton of free XP. Point is this was a 4.5k acting like this with the "trench" mentality. A fucking 4.5k! We all know that 4.5k is pretty well above average, so any argument of the "trench" really goes out the window.

If you have actually improved and your MMR should go up, then it will go up. You might have an occasional loss here and there, but the net MMR gain will still be positive. You don't necessarily have to pick a core role to do this either. Obviously playing a core role is easier to a lot of people than a higher level support, but it is totally doable on support.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
man I wish I had an easy weekend coming up. fucking on call for 90 hours starting on Friday all the way through Monday. got work to do Saturday guaranteed for at least 6 hours. Another guaranteed 3 on Sunday. And lord knows that some drunken idiot is gonna hurt himself and require surgery on Monday FML

Friend I'm getting married on Saturday and I've worked every single day for 2 weeks with no actual day off (unless you consider Day 1 overnight shift, Day 2 "off" Day 3 morning/day shift to be a day off), and I'll be working overnight tonight waking up just in time for rehearsal shit.

#medicine lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Set it up like League of Legends. No reason to reinvent the wheel at all. Tie hats to maximum MMR thresholds reached and make seasons with a definitive start and end date.

2k tier - Loading screen?
3k tier - Loading screen and set?
4k tier - Loading screen, set and courier
5k tier+ - Loading screen, set, courier, HUD skin

I was thinking more like:
2k; Courier
3k: Courier with extra unlocked style
4k: Courier with 2 extra unlocked styles, unusual effect and "Cheap" color
5k: Courier with 3 extra unlocked styles, unusual effect with new unique gem color.

t0rment

lol @ this co caster on the esl saying that the best hc in the game is void and 2nd one is pa. where do they find these dumb asses?

Mordeccai

Friend I'm getting married on Saturday and I've worked every single day for 2 weeks with no actual day off (unless you consider Day 1 overnight shift, Day 2 "off" Day 3 morning/day shift to be a day off), and I'll be working overnight tonight waking up just in time for rehearsal shit.

#medicine lol

We just keep moving forward one step at a time brother. Congrats on getting married. My only advice to give as a young, single guy is to forget 100% about work as soon as you get out the door tomorrow morning and live it up.

Somehow we still find time to torture ourselves with dota. This fucking game.

Wok

Regarding the MMR thing, if you play games fairly often on account, you will get where you should be. In yarden's friend's case he just did calibration games and stopped. I guarantee you if he kept playing, his MNR would most likely drop closer to his main account

Take it from someone that used to believe in the "trench": Your MMR is pretty close to accurate (as long as you play ranked games of course). Last night I had a match in Reborn (higher MMR variance there since fewer players) where I had a 4.5k safelane Storm, and there was a 4.5k on the other team. Both teams' average MMR was around 4.3k. The Storm bitched and complained about everything from minute zero. He wasn't happy with the supports on his lane, and kept saying " The game is already over, we lost "despite the fact that the game hadn't even hit the 5 minute mark.

We won. I told him to relax, and that we can win this game. I don't care of the offlane Pugna got a ton of free XP. Point is this was a 4.5k acting like this with the "trench" mentality. A fucking 4.5k! We all know that 4.5k is pretty well above average, so any argument of the "trench" really goes out the window.

If you have actually improved and your MMR should go up, then it will go up. You might have an occasional loss here and there, but the net MMR gain will still be positive. You don't necessarily have to pick a core role to do this either. Obviously playing a core role is easier to a lot of people than a higher level support, but it is totally doable on support.

I am not convinced: if anything, your anecdote would tend to prove a different point. Indeed, with your game, the highest MMR on your team was a Storm picker who showed a behavior detrimental to the team and would call "gg wp next" before the 5 min mark, so this could very well be a Storm spam-picker who grinded MMR. I believe the most reasonable assumption is that MMR is not a reliable indicator of the general skill of a player, and should be considered as hero-dependent. This is my experience as a player: I got to 2.7K - 3K by spamming Lich, and when I tried to play other heroes, I went to 2.1K - 2.4K for a long time, before being able to climb back to 2.7K - 3K with a wider variety of heroes. I could have stayed 3K or even climbed higher and faster by spamming the same hero, let us say Slark or Support Riki. It all boils down to the player goal: do I want high MMR faster to boost my ego? Or do I want to learn how to play different heroes while having fun?

Also, I would like to point out that I am godlike when I play Pudge at 2.1 K - 2.2K, but people want to report me whenever I play Pudge at 3K. So if I keep spamming Pudge, then I will stay at 2.3 K for a long time before being able to climb up. However, if I keep spamming Riki, I will go beyond 3K. So what is "my" MMR?

Razzer

I am not convinced: if anything, your anecdote would tend to prove a different point. Indeed, with your game, the highest MMR on your team was a Storm picker who showed a behavior detrimental to the team and would call "gg wp next" before the 5 min mark, so this could very well be a Storm spam-picker who grinded MMR. I believe the most reasonable assumption is that MMR is not a reliable indicator of the general skill of a player, and should be considered as hero-dependent. This is my experience as a player: I got to 2.7K - 3K by spamming Lich, and when I tried to play other heroes, I went to 2.1K - 2.4K for a long time, before being able to climb back to 2.7K - 3K with a wider variety of heroes. I could have stayed 3K or even climbed higher and faster by spamming the same hero, let us say Slark or Support Riki. It all boils down to the player goal: do I want high MMR faster to boost my ego? Or do I want to learn how to play different heroes while having fun?

Also, I would like to point out that I am godlike when I play Pudge at 2.1 K - 2.2K, but people want to report me whenever I play Pudge at 3K. So if I keep spamming Pudge, then I will stay at 2.3 K for a long time before being able to climb up. However, if I keep spamming Riki, I will go beyond 3K. So what is "my" MMR?

I think the thing to remember is that MMR is a measure of your ability to win games, not your skill. The two are extremely linked so generally it's an effective enough tool to put you with roughly equal skill players, but there are other factors at play. If you do the Riki spamming you describe, then you increase your average ability to win games without your skill going up, hypothetically. 'Your' MMR would still be an accurate representation in this case as it's not representing your skill directly.

I could make a longer post about how complicated 'skill' is but maybe that's for another day.

shira

#medicine lol
Wuts their mmr?

Top Bottom