• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

G-Unit

Can I get the Dotabuff link on this game?

sure

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1633978009

I know that sniper was quite bad too.. We needed a support, he got sniper last. So instead of my solo lane, I had to share exp and leave the LH to him. Anyway I tried to farm my items on our jungle but I think i lost my time on that offlane

And SF played Ace but got cocky and gave em tons of gold. Thats another thing I see in the trench, the fine line between push to end and retreat to keep farming is not respected. I would have played that sf a bit more safe.

Hylian7

sure

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1633978009

I know that sniper was quite bad too.. We needed a support, he got sniper last. So instead of my solo lane, I had to share exp and leave the LH to him. Anyway I tried to farm my items on our jungle but I think i lost my time on that offlane

And SF played Ace but got cocky and gave em tons of gold. Thats another thing I see in the trench, the fine line between push to end and retreat to keep farming is not respected. I would have played that sf a bit more safe.

I am speeding through this replay, but I shouldn't miss anything too major.

- First of all, WK picked after Nyx and before AM. WK has low int, meaning Mana Burn isn't doing much to him. AM was still manageable for WK, especially with Soul Ring. I don't think you freaking out over the WK pick was warranted at all.
- Your starting items seem okay. I don't play offlane Bat much, if ever, but these mostly seem okay. I would honestly drop the Stout Shield though, as range block is significantly lower and you shouldn't be tanking that much especially as offlane Bat.
- Your team got both super bounty runes, nice!
- Sniper's items are a bit greedy, especially if he was going offlane vs a Jakiro who can just walk up and Liquid Fire him for free.
- Around 7 minutes you have 5 CS as Bat in a lane you could be getting CS in if Sniper wasn't taking them. I would say go start stacking jungle and jungle it. You won't do much to support Sniper up there, and Blink Daggers don't grow on trees. He seems to be doing surprisingly okay in that lane, definitely not ideal farm, but he's surviving, getting XP and some farm.
- At around 8:30, you use Firefly and try to drag the large camp into lane, if you're going to pull that camp, you need to time it right, or get plenty of napalm stacks before you just Firefly it. Although really you should just go jungle, as you aren't really able to do much in this lane.
- Pausing at exactly 10 minutes, here's the CS chart:

XivCQcO.png

WK is beating AM by a decent margin, you guys are gaining momentum to potentially win this game. If you go stack jungle and find yourself somewhere to farm, you can get a blink dagger and contribute a lot more.

- Bottle is fine, but fuck the Tranqs and just get brown Boots and Blink. You can get the Tranqs later if you really think you need them, but Bottle should be enough for you. It took you 18:37 to get a Blink, and you could have had it a few minutes earlier if you skipped the Tranqs.
- AM got Battle Fury at 16:13, he doesn't even have boots yet with a total of 58 CS at this point. You guys can still capitalize on this and just bulldoze towers, as well as his team. Your SF is balling out of control. You guys need to use your advantages.
- SF has a 21 minute Desolator with SB, Aquila, and Phase GO KNOCK DOWN MORE TOWERS
- AM got Manta at 27 minutes....still no boots. His illusions are slow as shit, capitalize on this.
- WK got BKB, great, you guys need to fight together. 5-man and just go bulldoze shit with that Deso on SF.
- WK has AC around 40 minutes, you have AC and Deso on your team, however the other team has caught up at this point.

I think I've seen enough, basically your team needed to 5-man together and take towers.

You needed to realize what your hero was most useful doing, and in your case after a few levels, laning with that Sniper was pretty pointless, and you were better off stacking and farming jungle.

TUSR

Banned
watch videos (of pros) on how to jungle as bat

pay attention to routes and timing.

find replays of zai at DAC, p sure he had a bat game that was out of control.

G-Unit

You missed the part where SF went 4vs2 and 5vs3, giving them some nice gold boots, which actually leads to the same conclusion. We should have 5 man. Had sniper playled a bit better we still had a shot. But at some point wk wasn't cutting it and sniper was MoA

G-Unit

watch videos (of pros) on how to jungle as bat

pay attention to routes and timing.

find replays of zai at DAC, p sure he had a bat game that was out of control.
Yeah. I actually understand how to bat jungle. But

1. I randomed
2. I felt frustrated wk didn't listen to me
3. That last sniper pick fucked my own game plan.
4. I failed to adjust in time. That's on me.should have jungle
5. Game went good until we didn't 5 man and SF went a little cocky imo. He gave away some nice bounties. At that point I felt wk pick was gonna comeback to bite us in the ass. Actually I did more damage than either wk and sniper.

kionedrik

Every single match I get paired with a 3 or 4 stack...

It wouldn't be so bad if all of them were on equal footing but it's perfectly noticeable there's always one much better than the rest, and since the MM algorithm take into account the average MMR of the party you'll more often than not are left with 2 useless players in your team...

People blame the Peruvians, Russians, Brazilians, South Americans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, SEA servers, or any other nationality I might have left out. The truth is that while the language barrier might get frustrating, there is no real "bad nationality" at Dota, and thinking otherwise is purely racist. Even if you can't understand most of what they are saying, you can probably figure it out to some degree, and cooperate with them. And if that doesn't work, the chat wheel translates to your local language!

This won't stop until people who can't speak a fucking word of english stop checking "english" in language
I have no problem with a russian who speaks english. I go apeshit when I see cyrillic in chat though. I check only english for a reason. Same goes for any other language.
Nowadays I always mute the chat anyways

TUSR

Banned

1. I randomed
5. Game went good until we didn't 5 man and SF went a little cocky imo. He gave away some nice bounties. At that point I felt wk pick was gonna comeback to bite us in the ass. Actually I did more damage than either wk and sniper.
Were you even doing anything in the Offlane?

G-Unit

Were you even doing anything in the Offlane?
My train of thought was "ok, I'll try to protect sniper. If anything I think 3 carries might overcome wk not having a good late game vs AM. And I'llvs try to get some easy camps".

But then Axe showed up in the lane and at that point I realized I should have jungled. as hylian said sniper did alright in lane but then he was no show in mid to late game.

Hylian7

You missed the part where SF went 4vs2 and 5vs3, giving them some nice gold boots, which actually leads to the same conclusion. We should have 5 man. Had sniper playled a bit better we still had a shot. But at some point wk wasn't cutting it and sniper was MoA

1. I randomed

This is when you need to take charge and tell your team "Alright team, we have a Deso, and we have an Armlet WK hitting pretty hard, lets go kill some towers." and do it. You grab people with the Batgrabber for easy kills. Boom, gg.

Every single match I get paired with a 3 or 4 stack...

It wouldn't be so bad if all of them were on equal footing but it's perfectly noticeable there's always one much better than the rest, and since the MM algorithm take into account the average MMR of the party you'll more often than not are left with 2 useless players in your team...

Do they throw their spells out one way or another? Then they aren't useless. They may not be playing whatever hero they are playing optimally, but they certainly aren't useless. If Rubick is lifting someone that disables them long enough for you to do something, even if it was an unnecessary target, then that Rubick did something useful. At the very worst, it gives the enemy something else to focus on that's not you.

This won't stop until people who can't speak a fucking word of english stop checking "english" in language
I have no problem with a russian who speaks english. I go apeshit when I see cyrillic in chat though. I check only english for a reason. Same goes for any other language.
It's a language preference, this means you prefer to play with people that speak English, not a guarantee.

Regardless, I'm going to refer you to this post:

positive reinforcement works really well too I find
I tend to go ➤Well played! when an ally gets a kill (yes I know this can be seen as insincere) and that tends to help
and complimenting supports on ward placing

also, chat wheel & pings transcends language barriers
alt click patch did wonders as well

Especially the last two lines of it. There are ways to get beyond the language barrier without you having to learn Russian, Spanish, or whatever language you don't know. For instance, and this is yet another Spectre example since I have Spectre on the brain. Say my teammates speak a different language than me and ping an enemy, and draw lines on the map from me toward that enemy. My TP is on cooldown, and my Haunt comes off cooldown in 12 seconds. I can Alt+Click my Haunt, giving them a signal that they should just wait a second before they go on that. Boom, language barrier defeated.

If they don't listen to any of that stuff, then they probably weren't going to listen if they spoke the same language as me either. Think of it like USA: People of all nationalities and races play Dota, and there is no "official language" of Dota. We have people from all over the world in this game. Lets enjoy the game together.

JC Sera

I keep forgetting thats a thing that exists
it doesn't seem to do much for Australia servers

Hylian7

I keep forgetting thats a thing that exists
it doesn't seem to do much for Australia servers
It is a preference, as it does say "Language Preference". If this was a hard lock, then we would get the StarCraft 2 problem, effectively dividing the community. Even LoL has this problem if I'm not mistaken, as it is region locked.

Remember there are also situations like the fact that the US servers actually have lower latency for a lot of South American ISPs. Having a Peru server absolutely helped with this though.

JC Sera

Australia we get a fair amount of SEA and sometimes China
however it really depends *when* you play. 4-5pm is aussie kids coming out of school. 6-10pm slot is filled with people coming home in general. Daytime you get a lot of SEA internet cafe patrons. Past 11pm is shit post le memes who needs sleep time. But you don't get that much non-english speakers, just shitty tired/what the hell is your sleep schedule even english speakers.

7pm I find is the sweet spot.

edit: http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/1599
I thought doping would be more detrimental in a sport like this
a lot of doping drugs have negative mental health effects

kionedrik

Do they throw their spells out one way or another? Then they aren't useless. They may not be playing whatever hero they are playing optimally, but they certainly aren't useless. If Rubick is lifting someone that disables them long enough for you to do something, even if it was an unnecessary target, then that Rubick did something useful. At the very worst, it gives the enemy something else to focus on that's not you.

There's a lot of ways to measure usefulness.

- Taking into account your example, if the rubick lifts while the target is already stunned, as in stacking disables, is he being useful?
- During laning, if he stays behind the carry and neglects to harass the offlaner is he being useful?
- If your midlaner, who happens to be a ganker like QoP, stays in lane farming for the first 15min is he being useful?
- If your teammate gets ganked and dies is going to the exact place he died 5s ago being useful? Is another person going to that exact same spot after the 2nd one died in the same way as the first one did being useful? This situation seems beyond ridiculous but it happened to me yesterday. The "leader" died and the 2 useless friends followed.

My point is that everyone has a purpose and a way to act depending on the phase of the game you currently are in. If you don't do your role correctly and disregard any advice that are given to help you improve, than you are useless, no matter if you throw your spells around or not.

And lower MMR/skill people in a stack tend to be more useless than lower MMR/skill solo players.

Hylian trying way too hard with the positivity
horse.gif

If you have a furion who's afk cliff jungling the whole fucking game but casts his ult whenever it's available, do you think he's helping too ? Nah. You bet your ass I'm going to shittalk him and report him, and I'm pretty sure I'll lose too, even if I try (which I would).

Kinda extreme example (although it does happen) but some people do similar shit and then they always have some garbage excuse like "oyy i'm so drunk lamo" or "why do you care it's only a game xdxd" I don't know maybe I care because I play a game to have fun and ideally win, not to waste 50 minutes of my life getting shitstomped.

elyetis

If at least the players were smart about it, try to lane together, make pick not putting to much pressure on the lowest mmr, etc..

But no, just yesterday I had a 2 ppl stack ~4500mmr with a 2500mmr; lowest mmr went mid zeus, while highest mmr went axe jungle. Opposite team ? about the same disparity in mmr, but highest mmr went mid with bloodseeker, while lowest went easy lane. Their bloodseeker was something like 6-0 by the 6th min. By the time Axe got his blink the game was pretty much already lost.

patapuf

Hylian trying way too hard with the positivity
horse.gif

If you have a furion who's afk cliff jungling the whole fucking game but casts his ult whenever it's available, do you think he's helping too ? Nah. You bet your ass I'm going to shittalk him and report him, and I'm pretty sure I'll lose too, even if I try (which I would).

Kinda extreme example (although it does happen) but some people do similar shit and then they always have some garbage excuse like "oyy i'm so drunk lamo" or "why do you care it's only a game xdxd" I don't know maybe I care because I play a game to have fun and ideally win, not to waste 50 minutes of my life getting shitstomped.

sometimes you get bad teammates sure but there's few things more satisfying in Dota than winning a game that you should have lost.

raging can be catharthic but most of the time it a) makes me play worse and b) makes me not enjoy the game.

i have way more fun shutting up (and muting others) and playing the hand i was dealt. Or use the opportunity to try some shit i wouldn't otherwise.

If I raged everytime i have a bad teammate i'd have stopped playing a long time ago.

If at least the players were smart about it, try to lane together, make pick not putting to much pressure on the lowest mmr, etc..

But no, just yesterday I had a 2 ppl stack ~4500mmr with a 2500mmr; lowest mmr went mid zeus, while highest mmr went axe jungle. Opposite team ? about the same disparity in mmr, but highest mmr went mid with bloodseeker, while lowest went easy lane. Their bloodseeker was something like 6-0 by the 6th min. By the time Axe got his blink the game was pretty much already lost.

Gets even better when the stacks do not communicate with the rest of the team, do horrible plays like fighting 4v5 without checking if the 5th is following (in the case of a 4stack), and in the end blame/report the 5th player

Does it REALLY happen that often? I honestly don't believe it does.

Yes, it does. I don't think I am exaggerating in the slightest when I say that 7/10 of my games have something like this. Things that happened to me in games last night:

• One game where no one said a word in text or voice chat. Literally not one word, even during picking
  • My lane partner saying "sorry, I can't hear you if you're talking to me, I'm listening to music"
  • Slark trying to deny me and just blocking me from running away
  • Supports pushing the creep wave from the very start (this happens in at least half of my games, no joke)
  • Guy randoming CM, me saying "If you don't want her, I will play her, please swap with me" and then rerolling a Tinker that he didn't know how to play
And again, I won't say that any or all of those things are the sole reason why we lost games, but I have no doubt they contributed. Anyway, it's not important, so I'm not going to dwell on it any further. I appreciate your commitment to positivity, but there is a limit.

EDIT: Also I really identify with Shug pointing out the "I'm drunk" or "I just smoked a bowl" excuse for doing badly. This happens way more often than you would think.

I am starting to see the truth in the idea that if you want to climb MMR, you have to go mid. I'm working on becoming comfortable with more mid heroes so I can have more game impact. Just haven't found a hero that I've fallen in love with yet.

Yes, it does. I don't think I am exaggerating in the slightest when I say that 7/10 of my games have something like this. Things that happened to me in games last night:

• One game where no one said a word in text or voice chat. Literally not one word, even during picking
  • My lane partner saying "sorry, I can't hear you if you're talking to me, I'm listening to music"
  • Slark trying to deny me and just blocking me from running away
  • Supports pushing the creep wave from the very start (this happens in at least half of my games, no joke)
  • Guy randoming CM, me saying "If you don't want her, I will play her, please swap with me" and then rerolling a Tinker that he didn't know how to play
And again, I won't say that any or all of those things are the sole reason why we lost games, but I have no doubt they contributed. Anyway, it's not important, so I'm not going to dwell on it any further. I appreciate your commitment to positivity, but there is a limit.

EDIT: Also I really identify with Shug pointing out the "I'm drunk" or "I just smoked a bowl" excuse for doing badly. This happens way more often than you would think.

I am starting to see the truth in the idea that if you want to climb MMR, you have to go mid. I'm working on becoming comfortable with more mid heroes so I can have more game impact. Just haven't found a hero that I've fallen in love with yet.

pick leshrac

fAUOr2c.png

kionedrik

I climbed 800 MMR in about a month by playing carry or offlane exclusively, what you're saying is not entirely true. Pick heroes that can have a meaningful impact, that scale into the late game and that can go, in any way, 1 vs the world, otherwise you'll be too dependent on 4 random strangers in order to win.

If you truly believe you're better than you're MMR you should be able to solo carry them, if you can't... then you're in the place where you belong.

Meh I listen to music when I solo Q as well and I flame when people suck. I think the effect of a positive attitude is way overstated. Play greedy, play selfish, win more often than not. Every single acc I got is between 52 and 55% winrate. The 55% winrate acc being 4.1k solo.

t0rment

i honestly stopped trying to better at dota. there's no reason to it. i forgot how many times i get a strong mid hero and stomp the other team in 15 minutes just so the rest of my team gets this urge to relentlessly feed the hc of the other team. there's no point to it, it doesn't matter, i'm not even playing 1v5 at that point but 1v9.

so i just pick the hero i wanna play, expect a loss from the start and if i do get a win it's great but if not, at least i had some fun playing what i want.

ViviOggi

Meh I listen to music when I solo Q as well and I flame when people suck. I think the effect of a positive attitude is way overstated. Play greedy, play selfish, win more often than not. Every single acc I got is between 52 and 55% winrate. The 55% winrate acc being 4.1k solo.
waow

TheCrow

i honestly stopped trying to better at dota. there's no reason to it. i forgot how many times i get a strong mid hero and stomp the other team in 15 minutes just so the rest of my team gets this urge to relentlessly feed the hc of the other team. there's no point to it, it doesn't matter, i'm not even playing 1v5 at that point but 1v9.

so i just pick the hero i wanna play, expect a loss from the start and if i do get a win it's great but if not, at least i had some fun playing what i want.

highfive.gif
Thats what I do* but I'm bit less bitter.

*When I used to play dota

just be positive and play spectre and you'll have 70% WR, even if you have no support in lane
smile.gif

Man at least put a value point in missile
tears.gif

no bkb against dk invoker BS WD though

NBtoaster

If you want to gain mmr, pick good heroes and play them well.

To help, I organized my hero picker according to role and good hero status (offlanes on the left, carries in the middle, supports on the right, mids at the bottom and to the bottom right heroes ill never bother learning).

DjzbWWc.jpg

kionedrik

To help, I organized my hero picker according to role and good hero status (offlanes on the left, carries in the middle, supports on the right, mids at the bottom and to the bottom left heroes ill never bother learning).

I just love that Alch and TB have the most minuscule portraits.

Edit: You should give Brew a chance. He's ok!

The M.O.B

To help, I organized my hero picker according to role and good hero status (offlanes on the left, carries in the middle, supports on the right, mids at the bottom and to the bottom left heroes ill never bother learning).

http://i.imgur.com/DjzbWWc.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Shadow Fiend is in the "never bother learning" category?

Mute all players immediately when game starts, communication is overrated!
highfive.gif

I don't think that "keep a good attitude towards your team mates" garbage has ever gained anyone a single point of MMR.

- pick good heroes, avoid trash tier heroes, don't play what's fun unless it's also good
- mid is best (I, however, prefer safe lane because I'm mechanically underwhelming on most mid heroes)
- pick as late as your team allows you to pick so you don't get counter picked
- supporting below 4k usually ain't worth it, then again, Omni is pretty strong because 3k's don't know about Diffusal Blade
- Play greedy
- Play selfish
- If you see a team mate get caught out of position and see your team walk there to feed the enemy team 1by1, then don't suicide along with them but use the space to farm
- ez mmr

Madouu

Man at least put a value point in missile

I had bkb/refresh/manta on courier. Had the bkb for a while but later on, we needed the burst during RPs over survivability which you can make up for with good positioning. We had double doom to help with the control too.

I like missile a lot but that game was mostly about maxing farm efficiency, we were behind by a huge margin and fighting for the few creeps we had. Points in stats together with treads switching help a lot with farming jungles quickly. I wasn't fighting or looking for pick offs. Generally, you get your value point in missile at level 4, but since I was offlane, there wasn't much value in getting it. It's situational. I played a gyro game yesterday where taking a point in missile was definitely a mistake. It cost me two kills early on which I could have had with just an extra flak attack and that would have made my lane much easier.

NBtoaster

Shadow Fiend is in the "never bother learning" category?

My last hitting and knowledge of raise aoe/distances isn't good enough to play. I'd lose too much mmr trying to learn him now (at 4.5-4.8k).

I just love that Alch and TB have the most minuscule portraits.

Edit: You should give Brew a chance. He's ok!

Think hes underwhelming after the nerfs. You just run away from the ult because everyone is so high mobility these days.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think that "keep a good attitude towards your team mates" garbage has ever gained anyone a single point of MMR.
It makes it so you don't lose more MMR. If you or someone on your team has an attitude, it will make the entire team play worse. People are more likely to be rash or make errors when flustered. I don't see much benefit at bitching at my team how much they suck, it isn't going to make them play better.

I guess you don't need to have any actual faith in your team, just avoid flaming them. I have seen a number of games lost solely due to players bickering and then giving up.

Top Bottom