• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

I didn't money to open some compendium caches till today.

Opened 5 and got 2 points bundles. went from 27-50ish with the extra bonus.

Pretty happy about it.

Nothing pisses me off more than an opponent who is winning by a long shot gloating and rubbing it in your face

I can understand trash talk if it's a close game but why do you have to be a jerk if you're owning the other team?

Nothing pisses me off more than an opponent who is winning by a long shot gloating and rubbing it in your face

I can understand trash talk if it's a close game but why do you have to be a jerk if you're owning the other team?

Mute everyone on the enemy side as soon as game starts, it's what I do and it work wonders.

Flaming can be a powerful tool.
fire.gif

Hylian7

Important question: Can I still like dota but have absolutely zero interest in anime? Please help and advise, kthnx!

HONK HONK HONK ANIME HATER ALERT, ANIME HATER ALERT

EVACUATE THE PREMISES
disappear.gif
disappear.gif
disappear.gif

But seriously though, this thread always goes weird places. I haven't seen you post around here before, but yes we are a welcoming community.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

you can use a console command to disable all-chat or manually mute players every match if you need to. they're only gloating because of your reaction. don't give them any satisfaction and most of the time they'll stop if no one is giving them any reaction.

also, some people will purposefully try to put people on tilt if they think it'll make them play worse. occasionally I'll see an upvoted comment on reddit about ragebaiting someone.

inkls

you can use a console command to disable all-chat or manually mute players every match if you need to. they're only gloating because of your reaction. don't give them any satisfaction and most of the time they'll stop if no one is giving them any reaction.

also, some people will purposefully try to put people on tilt if they think it'll make them play worse. occasionally I'll see an upvoted comment on reddit about ragebaiting someone.

I feel most of the time tilt just happens if you gank someone over and over or if you kill them with unconventional laners

Hylian7

KcPhdOu.png

"gg ez, report my team pls"

It's too late :c

I'm gonna go with my gut and add you but I'll keep an eye on you *Stares at the profile pic*

http://steamcommunity.com/id/HylianSeven/

Add me too.

On another note, I used to be like the Tusk I just had in my game. He complained and said "I'm not fucking retarded and don't draft like this." His main issue was Abaddon solo supporting Spectre in the safelane. I know it isn't really a wombo combo or anything, but it definitely isn't terrible.

Tusk complained about how he was "stuck in this trench that doesn't know how to draft", and that was where I tried to explain to him "The trench doesn't actually exist and is a mere concept of the mind."

Now, people have told me on here that exact statement before, and I know I was extremely reluctant to accept it, and I have accepted it. As I explained to the Tusk "Play better, and your MMR will improve. You will not win 100% of your games, that is a fact, but you will still win more than you lose if you deserve to be at a higher MMR."

All the time, I have heard people every say stuff like "I'm stuck in the 2k trench/3k trench/even 4k trench", but that statement right there shows a huge contradiction. Where exactly is this "trench"? 2k, 3k, and 4k is a HUGE variance of MMR, I think we can all agree. Furthermore, that definitely shows the trench is a construct of the mind, where the mariachi bands play. A player must look at their own play, and playing with their teams to gain MMR. Sure, you may have games where teammates are the reason you lost, you may have games where you are the reason you lost, but more often than not, the reason you lose is probably some combination of those. I guess I should also mention the fraction of games where there might be a stupidly broken hero (Centaur's release week in Dota 2) or a griefer on your team, but again those are few and far between.

People blame the Peruvians, Russians, Brazilians, South Americans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, SEA servers, or any other nationality I might have left out. The truth is that while the language barrier might get frustrating, there is no real "bad nationality" at Dota, and thinking otherwise is purely racist. Even if you can't understand most of what they are saying, you can probably figure it out to some degree, and cooperate with them. And if that doesn't work, the chat wheel translates to your local language!

I understand what you're trying to say Hylian but I honestly cannot go a single game where someone clearly doesn't know the basics of the game, it's infuriating

I will fully admit I'm not a great player, but when a teammate body blocks me while I'm running away saying "let me deny you" when I'm not under the influence of any ability that allows him to do that, it's maddening... that's the stuff that makes me mad, because I really feel like I have much more mechanical and tactical knowledge of Dota than 75% of the people I'm matched with. Supports auto-attacking wave or taking last hits even after I politely ask them not to... carries not knowing how to farm... it's mind-numbing

No one gets to / stays at 4k or 5k without knowing these basic concepts. But I see it in my games all the time. I focus on my own mistakes too but there are absolutely things that happen in games that you can't easily play around. Some team members are just dead weight

Hylian7

I understand what you're trying to say Hylian but I honestly cannot go a single game where someone clearly doesn't know the basics of the game, it's infuriating

I will fully admit I'm not a great player, but when a teammate body blocks me while I'm running away saying "let me deny you" when I'm not under the influence of any ability that allows him to do that, it's maddening... that's the stuff that makes me mad, because I really feel like I have much more mechanical and tactical knowledge of Dota than 75% of the people I'm matched with. Supports auto-attacking wave or taking last hits even after I politely ask them not to... carries not knowing how to farm... it's mind-numbing

No one gets to / stays at 4k or 5k without knowing these basic concepts. But I see it in my games all the time. I focus on my own mistakes too but there are absolutely things that happen in games that you can't easily play around. Some team members are just dead weight

Does it REALLY happen that often? I honestly don't believe it does.

Sure, these moments you mention are frustrating, but they definitely do not happen as often as you think they do. Bottom line, when they do happen, you can give constructive criticism to players rather than yelling at them. They don't listen? Their MMR will drop too, and they will probably go down to an MMR they deserve to be at, while yours goes up, and the likelihood of you ever seeing them in a game again gets significantly lower.

Also keep in mind the negative experiences tend to stick out until you get out of a mindset like this. I know, I was there once. I would say more often, I get good teammates that I would be okay with seeing again, than ones that I really really don't want to see again, and this includes teammates that make some mistakes, even in games we lost. Usually the ones I really don't want to see again are the ones that go "REPORT X THEY LOST X AND BOUGHT X ITEM ON X HERO, FUCKING NOOB". Use reports and commends too. I commend much more often than I report these days, and usually still have a good supply of commends where I have enough to get all the commends I want out during a week. As for reports, I don't report often, but when I do, I usually get additional reports back within an hour since I get the notification in Dota. This tells me that my reports are pretty spot on, as the type of people I report either intentionally feed, go AFK, sell all items and a billion sentries by the ancient, block our own camps intentionally, troll tosses/hooks/etc, or are just purely toxic in chat. I probably report someone maybe once every two weeks, if even that often.

Hylian7

Another thing I want to point out, I've been using the strategy above for about a little over a month probably.

This is my solo MMR graph on Dotabuff over the last month.

lum223y.png

For shits and giggles, this, I'm kind of unsure on how read (can anyone with DB+ help me out here?) but what I think this is is average GPM over all your matches with each match, which is why I'm guessing that the numbers on the side show high 300s, yet GPMs in so many individual games on that list are well above that.

hD3WJSf.png

And in a similar fashion, Last Hits at 10 minutes, again, not exactly sure how to interpret this either.

4YkulcK.png

Wok

I got a Compendium Scorched Fletcher for 1000 coins.

Obviously not tradable but I'd save around $16 if I wanted it which is neat.

damn, i want that set

I got one too but decided to recycle it.

So I am 1K MMR behind you, and it only reflects slightly in terms of average GPM (20 gold per minute behind) and average LH/10 (6 last hits behind).

Anyway, it does not make any sense since it mixes heroes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know TUSR wasn't anime when I first met him in HoN. Now he's anime all the time.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/HylianSeven/
People blame the Peruvians, Russians, Brazilians, South Americans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, SEA servers, or any other nationality I might have left out. The truth is that while the language barrier might get frustrating, there is no real "bad nationality" at Dota, and thinking otherwise is purely racist. Even if you can't understand most of what they are saying, you can probably figure it out to some degree, and cooperate with them. And if that doesn't work, the chat wheel translates to your local language!

Truth. Stop casual racism.

Another thing I want to point out, I've been using the strategy above for about a little over a month probably.

This is my solo MMR graph on Dotabuff over the last month.

Happy to see you're improving! What do you think accounted for this improvement?

Hylian7

Now with more nuts
Not sure if this is another jab or a joke or something entirely different.

I got one too but decided to recycle it.

So I am 1K MMR behind you, and it only reflects slightly in terms of average GPM (20 gold per minute behind) and average LH/10 (6 last hits behind).

Anyway, it does not make any sense since it mixes heroes.

Yeah, exactly, having Crystal Maiden and Medusa GPMs in the same thing is apples and oranges. I mean I guess maybe a more accurate thing would be if you spam picked a particular farming hero and showed your GPM over time on them, that might be useful.

In that case, here's Spectre:

ZfOvfjz.png

so WK vs antimage and nyx... why... people just don't know how to pick at trench lvl

What MMR is your "trench"?

Regardless, WK is at a disadvantage there, but you can punish the AM pick and go for something to end it mid-game. WK can circumvent his disadvantages with Soul Ring, BKB, or both. He needs BKB for most lineups anyway, so Soul Ring will make the early game easier to get through.

The one good side of that match up though, is that WK's mana pool is tiny, so mana void won't be very effective on him, even with 0 mana.

just pick strong heroes that go in your lineup and you are good at if you are tired of the "trench"

Fixed for truth.

That and casual sexism too, although we don't as often see direct sexism in Dota games due to the fact that Dota is has a huge male-female ration in favor of males, and many women that play Dota don't reveal that fact to avoid harassment.

This has been posted here before, but I'm going to post it again. @WomanInDota is a woman that plays Dota and tweets sexist garbage she gets directed at her in game: https://twitter.com/womanindota She does a great thing calling these things out and bringing attention to it, as going "just mute and ignore" for something so widespread and cultural is not going to fix the actual problem. She streams on Twitch sometimes, and also does sketches of the sexist comments she gets with the hero the person the harasser was playing as: http://imgur.com/a/etHTy

hylian if you check the scales on the graphs, they pretty much mean shit all

Yeah, that's what I was saying on why they were confusing. To me it seems like they are the change in your AVERAGE GPM/whatever for the criteria you have selected. The intent is there to try to have a meaningful stat like that to graph, but I think this still falls short. I think doing it for an individual farming hero is closer to the right idea, but still that has it's issues.

TUSR

Banned
what i was getting at hylian

if people believe theyre stuck in some sort of mmr trench, just pick strong mids man

Hylian7

if people believe theyre stuck in some sort of mmr trench, just pick strong mids man

I mean if some guy picks a mid first, or going "mid or feed" never helps. This is why I open that up to other roles.

Two examples for myself: Spectre and Earth Spirit. I know I am really strong on those two particular heroes, and they have an ability to control a game at some point.

Spectre often comes down to "Okay don't lose the base for 20 minutes and we're good", with your own farming awareness in full force.

Earth Spirit comes down to being a playmaker most of the game, starting and driving good ganks and teamfights.

Hylian7

Happy to see you're improving! What do you think accounted for this improvement?

Basically my own attitude change, but if we want to go to a technical level, just little tricks in general, increased map awareness.

What I mean by "little tricks in general" is something like finding places to farm as Spectre. If you don't know what you're doing, this is like finding the holy grail. You have to look at the map and think "Okay, that lane isn't coming back near tower for a while, so I need to find a way to farm jungle for a bit. Okay I can hit this camp for the next ten seconds, then at :53 Dagger through these creeps toward that medium camp so the Dagger damage finishes the camp I'm on, and stacks the nearby camp, then I can easily get over there to farm the stack." I mean tricks like that, some of them you might find guides for across the internet, some you just have to discover for yourself. That's part of the reason I love farming so much, it's all about the efficiency, and how many different methods there are to doing it.

On a random note, does anyone know why Spectre's Desolate randomly affects catapults? This occasionally happens and I have never understood why. There can be times when there are no other enemy units within a 2000 AoE of it, and I get no desolate, then sometimes it's either by itself or surrounded by creeps and I get a few Desolate procs? The fuck?
thinking.gif

JC Sera

positive reinforcement works really well too I find
I tend to go ➤Well played! when an ally gets a kill (yes I know this can be seen as insincere) and that tends to help
and complimenting supports on ward placing

also, chat wheel & pings transcends language barriers
alt click patch did wonders as well

Low Tier
no honestly if you feel like ur better than whatever skill bracket you're playing at, just pick strong mids.

otherwise enjoy stagnation.

Hylian7

Did a bit of research, mystery solved, thanks Reddit.

Apparently a catapult is not considered a creep, or a unit as far as Desolate is concerned. What it checks is if one unit is in the range and the target isn't a creep. So if you hit a catapult with exactly one creep in Desolate range, you get Desolate procs on the catapult. The catapult doesn't count as a creep, and it doesn't count as a unit either, so the regular creep counts as one unit, therefore you get a Desolate proc.

http://giant.gfycat.com/InsidiousLazyAfricanjacana.webm

no honestly if you feel like ur better than whatever skill bracket you're playing at, just pick strong mids.

Again I'm not sure if you're trying to just make more jabs at me or not. Yeah, mids will help, but generally any core role will work. You were getting on me for picking mids all the time, yet you tell me I was stagnating. Seems like a bit of a double standard.

Reckoner

Btw Hylian tried to add you on Steam to check your guides but for some reason you didn't accept me.
cry.gif

Even tried to search them on the Steam community by your username but didn't find them. Man I'm so thirsty for your guides.
sad.gif

Hylian7

Btw Hylian tried to add you on Steam to check your guides but for some reason you didn't accept me.
cry.gif

Even tried to search them on the Steam community by your username but didn't find them. Man I'm so thirsty for your guides.
sad.gif

My bad, I need to make space on my friends list. :(

I haven't written many guides, although I do plan to write some.

Try again if you can.

G-Unit

I can't find myself to spam good mid heroes, I just like to play most heroes.

That WK didnt play bad per se, but once AM got his manta, it was game over for us.

Hylian7

I can't find myself to spam good mid heroes, I just like to play most heroes.

That WK didnt play bad per se, but once AM got his manta, it was game over for us.

And this plays into my exact point when I responded to your post. AM getting Manta is generally considered a win condition for the hero, and while not guaranteed, it definitely gives him a huge boost in power. Basically you are on the clock vs AM in this situation, and the WK wouldn't be a bad pick if you are racing against the clock.

G-Unit

You can see my dotabuff, all my stats have improved, there is just one thing i need to change right now, I need to stop playing after two loses in a row. I should be back to 3000mr if i wasnt so stubborn when on a bad streak

G-Unit

And this plays into my exact point when I responded to your post. AM getting Manta is generally considered a win condition for the hero, and while not guaranteed, it definitely gives him a huge boost in power. Basically you are on the clock vs AM in this situation, and the WK wouldn't be a bad pick if you are racing against the clock.

I just wish he didnt wk at all. I nicely told him it was a bad idea, nope they just dont listen.

Top Bottom