• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Dr. Buni

I don't think that "keep a good attitude towards your team mates" garbage has ever gained anyone a single point of MMR.

- pick good heroes, avoid trash tier heroes, don't play what's fun unless it's also good
Might as well not play the game.

Also, keeping a good attitude is essential to not have an awful time during ~50 minutes. I had more fun in lost matches because my teammates were pleasing people than in won matches with abusive teammates who kept calling other names.

Might as well not play the game.

Winning (especially in ranked) and climbing can be insanely satisfying. Competitive games are not about "fun" for everyone, are they?

I don't play ranked often but I could totally see why hero spammers exist. Winning feels so good even if you had to play a shitty hero over and over again in the process.

It makes it so you don't lose more MMR. If you or someone on your team has an attitude, it will make the entire team play worse. People are more likely to be rash or make errors when flustered. I don't see much benefit at bitching at my team how much they suck, it isn't going to make them play better.

I guess you don't need to have any actual faith in your team, just avoid flaming them. I have seen a number of games lost solely due to players bickering and then giving up.
I'm fine with small mistakes, everybody makes them, generally ping the player once or tell them in chat what they did wrong (block a camp stacking, stealing a last hit, etc), but there's also players who are absolute garbage and do the same stupid shit over and over in the game, these get the shittalk they deserve
Playing with an SF yesterday, he went mid, died about 7 times in the laning phase always at the same place against the same heroes (river to jungle ramp near mid, dire side, we were radiant), I even saved the courier (delivering his boots) against lion rotating there once, only thing he said after dying was "why did you cancel chick" or something like that, like fuck you just open your eyes, everybody saw lion coming and you shouldn't have been there in the first place, don't come bitching afterwards
he then had the most deaths in the game, going solo in the enemy jungle without vision with SB hoping to get requiem kills from SB (yeah that works really well), even after the enemy got sentries over there. He ended up with twice as many deaths as anybody on the team, we had a kotl and a wd as supports (not the most survivable heroes esp against a bristlebong)
Winning (especially in ranked) and climbing can be insanely satisfying. Competitive games are not about "fun" for everyone, are they?

I don't play ranked often but I could totally see why hero spammers exist. Winning feels so good even if you had to play a shitty hero over and over again in the process.

then you have people who spam invoker and pudge and just lose you games because they think they're fucking epic for going wex exort euls aghanims build and do jackshit all game

NBtoaster

I never flame, I just passive aggressively ask 'why didn't you do this' etc. Otherwise I silently judge.

For the record. I fucking hate low 4k players. So many awful dives, horrible hero picks, and abysmal attitudes. Upper 4k is much more civilized

shira

I hope they extend the pickup day to the 2nd :( I fly in on the 2nd and would love to go to the afterparty :(

Yeah that has to be a mistake or something, I don't get in til the 2nd.
I wonder how late they will have Pre-orders pickup available on Sunday. I don't land until 6PM Sunday, and it sounds like they may be giving out extra stuff.

As a bonus for picking up your pre-order prior to the event, you will receive extra packs. If you are able to pick up your order on:
Friday, July 31st – you will receive four additional bonus Emoticharm Packs.
Saturday, August 1st – you will receive two additional bonus Emoticharm Packs.
Sunday, August 2nd – you won’t receive any bonus packs, but you will be able to get your merchandise before the show starts!

I think the cutoff time is noon though . . .

I never flame, I just passive aggressively ask 'why didn't you do this' etc. Otherwise I silently judge.

For the record. I fucking hate low 4k players. So many awful dives, horrible hero picks, and abysmal attitudes. Upper 4k is much more civilized

anyone below 5k is trash tbh

Alright guys. Its time for me to be an old man and yell at a cloud.

Has anyone here ever asked why League of Legends is so much more successful than DOTA 2 in terms of popularity / numbers? The same thing that happened to Heroes of Newerth is beginning to happen to DOTA 2, and I think only custom games are DOTA 2's saving grace. Original DOTA wasn't successful because of MMR, or because the game was so perfectly competitively balanced one could not find any flaws. Original DOTA was successful because it was unique, the gameplay was loads of fun, and you could pick up and play it quickly and effortlessly. Yet it was difficult to master. The same key aspects of most successful multiplayer games.

These 2 posts above demonstrate to me once again that it is probably time for me to retire from mainline DOTA 2. The focus on competition in the DOTA 2 community (and at Valve for that matter) is not healthy for the game, and not where I like to see the focus from players / developers with regard to multiplayer games. I'm still able to play smash bros. with friends because it is easy to pick up and play, even if I happen to be the most skilled player in my group. I do not make the matches vitriolic and I do not judge or make other people judge themselves in response to their flaws as players. It is still pure bliss in many regards. While League of Legends has its problems, it has clearly won the war of maximizing fun over competition in the MOBA genre, and that is coming from a person who prefers the gameplay of DOTA 2 to League and has always.

Bring on custom games. Just like I abandoned Starcraft 1 for its custom games, I'm completely ready to abandon DOTA 2. <3!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
who even plays dota to have fun anyways, only tryhards have fun

G.ZZZ

Has anyone here ever asked why League of Legends is so much more successful than DOTA 2 in terms of popularity / numbers? The same thing that happened to Heroes of Newerth is beginning to happen to DOTA 2, and I think only custom games are DOTA 2's saving grace. Original DOTA wasn't successful because of MMR, or because the game was so perfectly competitively balanced one could not find any flaws. Original DOTA was successful because it was unique, the gameplay was loads of fun, and you could pick up and play it quickly and effortlessly. Yet it was difficult to master. The same key aspects of most successful multiplayer games.

These 2 posts above demonstrate to me once again that it is probably time for me to retire from mainline DOTA 2. The focus on competition in the DOTA 2 community (and at Valve for that matter) is not healthy for the game, and not where I like to see the focus from players / developers with regard to multiplayer games. I'm still able to play smash bros. with friends because it is easy to pick up and play, even if I happen to be the most skilled player in my group. I do not make the matches vitriolic and I do not judge or make other people judge themselves in response to their flaws as players. It is still pure bliss in many regards. While League of Legends has its problems, it has clearly won the war of maximizing fun over competition in the MOBA genre, and that is coming from a person who prefers the gameplay of DOTA 2 to League and has always.

Bring on custom games. Just like I abandoned Starcraft 1 for its custom games, I'm completely ready to abandon DOTA 2. <3!

This post is almost as trash as 4k are.

Vade

Generic knock up, steroid, hit 'x' times, waifu. Only build these items, only go to this area of the map, do not change follow what the Lord Riot says he always right. Hail Pendragon Destoryer of the Dotas, Stealer of Heroes, and Prick of the most High.

Oh replays, customs,cheats, differences, we do not have those go play a shitty other game.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I play to have fun.
I can enjoy a game I've lost if the team is chill enough.
I've never gone mid (in ranked).
I don't flame my teammates, question them, micromanage them, use elispes or some other passive aggressive jargon.
I consider communication a skill but too much of it is just empty noise.
I don't take a greedy support and take farm/kills from a core.
I don't intrinsically distrust other players on my team.
I'll fight till the last rax has fallen.
If picking a core I'm assertive and polite with where I want to lane.
I mute anyone who shows an ounce of negativity.
I don't play ranked unless I feel good, have eaten well, am hydrated, worked out that day, etc.

I'll climb to 3.5k mmr using the power of friendship or feed trying.

If anything dota 2 numbers keep growing. Hell, I think most competitive games are becoming more and more popular. Look at CS:GO.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Having played dota for as long as 2008, Dota 2 is more than a disapointment it is worse than that.

Valve management of Dota 2 is horrific for so many reasons. Valve is just incompetent at handling online game. Every license they try to work on is a pure disaster. Team fortress is like dead thanks to Valve. People are still playing counter strike 1.6 for very legit reasons ( this game is like 15 years old). And the only successful game they did was half life and portal in the span of 17 years . wat?

Dota 2 is not exception. Once again Valve is clearly showing their limit and it's easy to predict dota 2 slow downfall.

Like seriously after almost 5 years of dota still no parity with dota 1. Where are pit lord and zet? It tooks them like 2 years to release the last 6 heroes or something. wat?

Valve also didn't manage to add anything revelant to the game. The fun modes such as death match, ability draft and even wraith knight event are directly taken from warcraft custom maps created by some random guys on battle net. That's the most innovative features they did since 5 years.

The UI is a catastrophy, the community aspect of the game is a joke ( who the fuck use guilds?) and the match making a disaster. It just doesn't work for solo or 2-3 friends queue. You re matched with total retards and game are so unbalanced it's either stomp or get stomped with nothing in between. Playing dota 2 is like watching baboons play.

People would argue " get gud and go 5 stake" but it's just saying their match making doesn't work and go back to garena stone age where the only way to have challenging game was to host your own clan war game.

Took 1 year to have a proper friendlist in game, 2 year to have a "team matchmaking and teams" and 3 for useless guild.

0 useful feature added to dota 2. Dota 2 is basically garena with a "find match" and "reconnect" button. wow

But the saddest part is the direction Dota 2 is going. They are trying to make game shorter. For what? So some random lol noobs grant us the privilege to give us their attention? Nobody care the game were long. Especially Dota players. We were enjoying it. Let's recall Dota was the most played game on earth. Do you think long game were an issue? The millions of people playing dota didn't care.

I don't know if icefrog or Valve was behind this but either way shortening game doomed the game from the get go. Making the gold rain from the sky is the most stupid idea ever

We don't have to farm anymore. 1.5x passive gold, discount on every item, cheap items support can buy by being afk. Take arcane boot for example. It costed like 3.3k gold before to have an equivalent item. Now it s 1395 bundled with a boot. Let's not mention drum, force staff , ghost, wand, medaillon. More cheap items so support don't even have to farm to go into late game.

Let's not forget reliable gold so nobody lose it's hard earned gold from being afk next to a kill and cashing in 500 gold. There is just no incensitive to gank since it doesn't even slow down people that much.

And I am not even talking about those 1k gold reward for killing someone. like what?

Dota 2 is essentially dota 1 easy mode made legit. And dota 1 people were making fun of easy mode so much it made me feel sad for em players. Now everyone is playing it.

Despite being the most played game in the world, Valve didn't manage to make dota 2 take off. Worse they keep comparing themselves to LOL and try to borrow ideas from them even if they are totally different games. It was actually the other way around for so many years. Facts talk by themselves, Valve didn't manage to grab even half of the dota 1 playerbase and the game is slowly on the decline.

I really loved and still love Dota but dota is not what it used to be. The balanced and challenging game with so many possibilities. Unless Valve suddenly wake up we can say bye bye to Dota soon. And they will not. Considering how they treated the community regarding to report system, matchmaking, Valve gives little care about what players think. They don't learn from their mistake.

The shitty beta released recently is just another proof Valve has no idea what dota needs.

It reminds me of the first dota trailer : "What does a hero truly need? That is for you to decide.". Sadly Valve doesn't know what dota needs and won't let us decide.

best thing dota copied from lol was manaless blink

dac15_fantastic.gif

There's a 90% chance I'm older than you and I don't see your point at all. If anything, competitive games are growing.

ViviOggi

Having played dota for as long as 2008, Dota 2 is more than a disapointment it is worse than that.

Valve management of Dota 2 is horrific for so many reasons. Valve is just incompetent at handling online game. Every license they try to work on is a pure disaster. Team fortress is like dead thanks to Valve. People are still playing counter strike 1.6 for very legit reasons ( this game is like 15 years old). And the only successful game they did was half life and portal in the span of 17 years . wat?

Dota 2 is not exception. Once again Valve is clearly showing their limit and it's easy to predict dota 2 slow downfall.

Like seriously after almost 5 years of dota still no parity with dota 1. Where are pit lord and zet? It tooks them like 2 years to release the last 6 heroes or something. wat?

Valve also didn't manage to add anything revelant to the game. The fun modes such as death match, ability draft and even wraith knight event are directly taken from warcraft custom maps created by some random guys on battle net. That's the most innovative features they did since 5 years.

The UI is a catastrophy, the community aspect of the game is a joke ( who the fuck use guilds?) and the match making a disaster. It just doesn't work for solo or 2-3 friends queue. You re matched with total retards and game are so unbalanced it's either stomp or get stomped with nothing in between. Playing dota 2 is like watching baboons play.

People would argue " get gud and go 5 stake" but it's just saying their match making doesn't work and go back to garena stone age where the only way to have challenging game was to host your own clan war game.

Took 1 year to have a proper friendlist in game, 2 year to have a "team matchmaking and teams" and 3 for useless guild.

0 useful feature added to dota 2. Dota 2 is basically garena with a "find match" and "reconnect" button. wow

But the saddest part is the direction Dota 2 is going. They are trying to make game shorter. For what? So some random lol noobs grant us the privilege to give us their attention? Nobody care the game were long. Especially Dota players. We were enjoying it. Let's recall Dota was the most played game on earth. Do you think long game were an issue? The millions of people playing dota didn't care.

I don't know if icefrog or Valve was behind this but either way shortening game doomed the game from the get go. Making the gold rain from the sky is the most stupid idea ever

We don't have to farm anymore. 1.5x passive gold, discount on every item, cheap items support can buy by being afk. Take arcane boot for example. It costed like 3.3k gold before to have an equivalent item. Now it s 1395 bundled with a boot. Let's not mention drum, force staff , ghost, wand, medaillon. More cheap items so support don't even have to farm to go into late game.

Let's not forget reliable gold so nobody lose it's hard earned gold from being afk next to a kill and cashing in 500 gold. There is just no incensitive to gank since it doesn't even slow down people that much.

And I am not even talking about those 1k gold reward for killing someone. like what?

Dota 2 is essentially dota 1 easy mode made legit. And dota 1 people were making fun of easy mode so much it made me feel sad for em players. Now everyone is playing it.

Despite being the most played game in the world, Valve didn't manage to make dota 2 take off. Worse they keep comparing themselves to LOL and try to borrow ideas from them even if they are totally different games. It was actually the other way around for so many years. Facts talk by themselves, Valve didn't manage to grab even half of the dota 1 playerbase and the game is slowly on the decline.

I really loved and still love Dota but dota is not what it used to be. The balanced and challenging game with so many possibilities. Unless Valve suddenly wake up we can say bye bye to Dota soon. And they will not. Considering how they treated the community regarding to report system, matchmaking, Valve gives little care about what players think. They don't learn from their mistake.

The shitty beta released recently is just another proof Valve has no idea what dota needs.

It reminds me of the first dota trailer : "What does a hero truly need? That is for you to decide.". Sadly Valve doesn't know what dota needs and won't let us decide.
pls no cyka pasterino

gai_shain

lol

ViviOggi

The entire premise is so ridiculously flawed I don't even know where to start

How is Leeg less competitive in its own ruleset

How is the average Leeg experience not toxic as fuck, where it's slightly better in some aspects it's even worse in others with Riot being dead set on enforcing a stale & shitty meta and literally banning people for not following it

How is Dota not doing incredibly well and growing and growing for the foreseeable future

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't tell if any of these posts are serious so I'm just going to say I made banana stuffed french toast for breakfast this morning and also a bacon-tomato-jalapeno omlette.

Low Tier
this thread is shit lets go back to fashion

I just picked up:

34316125_095_b

0103492160008NEW_01_060

81LoG8Y5tfL._UY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg

and a set of CK crews (man that shit feel so good I could be wearing hay over it and i wouldnt care)

post up yall im always looking for new threads

Competition is bad
Valve should make everyone 6k so we are all winners! :Ddddd
But leeg is still the best game ever omg
And lets give everyone in the olympics gold medals so the others dont feel sad :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was in Jersey two weeks ago shopping with the fam. Went to pretty much every store and all I picked up was this:

Game is hard.

(Not for lack of trying, because I found two other shirts I liked.)

(Each one was like 6 Lina arcanas though so fuck that. I'm not made of bugattis.)

Top Bottom