• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
their lineup is

dusa
sven
bane
earthshaker
ursa

taking away the fact that i can't play AM, AM was the best pick, right?

am is pretty much the best "carry" of this patch because he has all the tools necessary to deal with many of the popular heroes and yeah, he would probably be one of the best considering the heroes you listed. but i hate using the term "carry" in general as it is very blurred these days in dota, doesn't really mean what it used to

Hylian7

am is pretty much the best "carry" of this patch because he has all the tools necessary to deal with many of the popular heroes and yeah, the heroes you listed. but i hate using the term "carry" in general as it is very blurred these days in dota, doesn't really mean what it used to
I was going to say "What about Gyro?" when I read the first sentence, but yeah, I agree with you.

Gyro is basically a early, mid, and sort of late carry. AM is late game, but can find farm pretty well during early to mid game, as well as pop they Storm that blew all his mana if he's around.

I saw a really weird early game ganking AM on the other team the other day. He went Urn, wasn't very effective and I had plenty of space to get great farm with Storm. He transitioned into carry mode later, but it hardly mattered as we were bulldozing their base. At most he would get a big mana void on me that only instantly killed me like, once. The other times he tried to blink on me and Urn me to follow it up and was like "Fuck you!" and used Bloodstone.

It's kind of crazy to think that the AoE on mana void used to be so small, so small that many players didn't even know it had one.

Don't think AM is a better position 1 than Gyro in general. In solo queue pubs I feel Gyro is a significantly better pick to be honest because he doesn't rely as much on his mates and accomplishes stuff on his own while also scaling superbly.
Not quite certain about that game because I'm unsure how they laned it. If it was a solo off lane ES the AM was up against, then AM should've had free farm and could've snowballed out of control regardless of their picks, in which case he would've been a reasonable pick.

I don't even know how the game concluded lol

Artanisix

new league hero revealed!!! featuring gap closer, slow, and nuke
EleGiggle.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ranked game AM buying a rapier and feeding it to the enemy team when we were one rax away from getting megas

idec if we won, that report felt sooooo good

Wok

their lineup is

dusa
sven
bane
earthshaker
ursa

taking away the fact that i can't play AM, AM was the best pick, right?

AM cannot outfarm all three heroes (Medusa, Sven and Ursa), so in this kind of game, you need either to snowball fast with a hero like Slark or Wraith King (plus good teamfighters like Invoker), or to tell your team to pick three carry and two good support heroes as well to be able to go late game if needed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
how do you mean? like being able to fight earlier with less time spent farming or...

well i guess it's like, is SS a carry? he's very difficult to kill and scales very well into the lategame. but he's not really a carry per se.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
how do you mean? like being able to fight earlier with less time spent farming or...

im just talking semantics, back a long time ago (in my dota1 potato bracket) "carry" just meant spectre/am/void/weaver (think ti1). these guys were the de facto late game monsters with a subpar early game. on the flipside you had the lane dominators and meat shield supports than sharply fell off after X minute. now technically, leshrac/lina/storm, all of these guys can fall under the "carry" term, leshrac can carry well into 60 minutes and out-scale many many heroes. It's not as black and white or cut and dry as it used to be.

icefrog has been blurring the lines for awhile now though as we're seeing more and more powerful cheap items and insanely good aghs that propel some traditionally "early game heroes" into the late game, as well as the opposite case--heroes like am/void/spec/jugg getting better ultimates, better tools, or just better base stats to fight earlier and more frequently

inkls

im just talking semantics, back a long time ago (in my dota1 potato bracket) "carry" just meant spectre/am/void/weaver (think ti1), these guys were the de facto late game monsters with a subpar early game. now technically, leshrac/lina/storm, all of these guys can fall under the "carry" term, leshrac can carry well into 60 minutes and out-scale many many heroes. It's not as black and white or cut and dry as it used to be.

I thought those were called hard carries? Or at least thats what I heard them being called as when I started playing

Hylian7

Don't think AM is a better position 1 than Gyro in general. In solo queue pubs I feel Gyro is a significantly better pick to be honest because he doesn't rely as much on his mates and accomplishes stuff on his own while also scaling superbly.
Not quite certain about that game because I'm unsure how they laned it. If it was a solo off lane ES the AM was up against, then AM should've had free farm and could've snowballed out of control regardless of their picks, in which case he would've been a reasonable pick.

I don't even know how the game concluded lol
AM is a lot less reliant on his team than he used to be. Sure, Gyro is definitely better in most pubs, but I think AM is underestimated, especially when we have Storms and QoPs with huge mana pools flying around.

In bad situations with AM, you can always just get the Vlad's before BF, going into the BF next and standard build from there. Best situation is free lane farm, but even in games where you get free farm for about 6 or 7 minutes, then the other team has a 4-man party in your lane, then it's time to look where they aren't for farm. Usually offlane serves this purpose well, as either no one is there to bother you, or it's just a carry that can't do anything to you by himself.

Kind of a similar tactic to how I play Spectre, but AM's flash farming tools are up faster. Of course, these heroes do completely different things as far as carries go.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I thought those were called hard carries? Or at least thats what I heard them being called as when I started playing

"hard carry" and semi-carry were thrown around but even those i don't like, for example, what would you call lycan? he's most definitely a "carry," but he was by no means ever a "hard carry," but neither is he a "semi-carry" in the way it was used to describe qop or SF in the past

doto semantics
failfish.png
, messy territory

Hylian7

im just talking semantics, back a long time ago (in my dota1 potato bracket) "carry" just meant spectre/am/void/weaver (think ti1). these guys were the de facto late game monsters with a subpar early game. on the flipside you had the lane dominators and meat shield supports than sharply fell off after X minute. now technically, leshrac/lina/storm, all of these guys can fall under the "carry" term, leshrac can carry well into 60 minutes and out-scale many many heroes. It's not as black and white or cut and dry as it used to be. icefrog has been blurring the lines for awhile now as we're seeing more and more powerful cheap items and insanely good aghs that propel some traditionally "early game heroes" into the late game, as well as the opposite case (heroes like am/void/spec/jugg getting better ultimates, better tools, or just better base stats to fight earlier and more frequently)
I think that's why the term "core" is used more often now. Carry is usually reserved for the heroes you named. This is different than saying "Storm carried the team" when he snowballed out of control (unless you are playing safe lane Storm of course)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
referring to heroes simply by their 1-5 farm priority/position is definitely the ideal these days, and is a much more relevant descriptor from game to game

kionedrik

oracle can stop people from right-clicking huskar and when he's oracle ulted heals works twice as well

That's the only thing I was thinking about as well but it's gimmicky as hell. It's pretty standard to get BKB vs Huskar to negate the the burn and that would also negate Oracle's W.

Oracle's W also has another downside with Huskar since it blocks 100% of magic damage on the target, and guess what type of damage burning spears are... You might be increasing his right-click in the process but that's not his main dps source, so overall it works against Huskar.

Not feeling it tbh.

That's the only thing I was thinking about as well but it's gimmicky as hell. It's pretty standard to get BKB vs Huskar to negate the the burn and that would also negate Oracle's W.

Oracle's W also has another downside with Huskar since it blocks 100% of magic damage on the target, and guess what type of damage burning spears are... You might be increasing his right-click in the process but that's not his main dps source, so overall it works against Huskar.

Not feeling it tbh.

purifying flames will do very low damage to husky when he is low. so with oracle ulti + inner vitality + purifying flames spam huskar will go absolutely ham while getting purged from any stuns and come out with positive health after.

Husk
Slardar
NIght Stalker

All of these could become seriously good picks if they get small buffs

Riki too imo

kionedrik

purifying flames will do very low damage to husky when he is low. so with oracle ulti + inner vitality + purifying flames spam huskar will go absolutely ham while getting purged from any stuns and come out with positive health after.

Apart from Inner Vit, I don't see what makes this combo so unique to Huskar.
Sure your increased magic resist will negate most of the initial damage but purifying flames can't kill allies and will always heal more than the initial burst so in the end any hero will come up winning HP from it.
Add the possible life steal the target might have, a mek by someone and urn (that I don't believe is interrupted during False Promise) and you'll have any hero almost healed to full in the end.

Will Huskar be healed more than anyone else? Sure. Will this combo only work with him? No.

Also from the wiki (regarding False Promise):

Does not prevent instantly killing effects like Culling Blade, Suicide Squad, Attack! , Bloodstone or Ice Blast shatter.

It does nothing against his major counters (I believe Frostbite still applies).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Brunette is a slut.

Also I'm surprised they're reusing her in the trailer. I thought she was the outdated one, and Blondie was the new and improved VR waifu.

Kade

The Asian one was the original but they made a caucasian blonde girl demo for Western audiences at E3. They're going to be adding more waifus and also dudes.

Acinixys

I think Windrunner will also become an extremely powerful mid hero with a small buff

She already pumps out insane DPS with her aghs

I think Windrunner will also become an extremely powerful mid hero with a small buff

She already pumps out insane DPS with her aghs
No way she's getting buffed, might even get a minor nerf. She'll probably go untouched though.
the fuck did i just watch

all those closeups, gratitude and not a single dick sucked? fuckouttahere
Can't spoil the entire game man.

Does look like "blue balls" the game though.

Top Bottom