• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

shira

honestly shes not a very good caster at all atm, people complain about tobi's accent but llamagirl's is actually much worse

im not saying she can't potentially become a good caster, but people saying 'llamadownunder should be casting bigger events its so refreshing cu shes a girl lol' are actually just being sexist.

meh, she did okay in the frankfurt qualifiers. I've only heard her cast like 3x but she stayed on top of the action without an obs, read twitch chat feedback, and used her co-caster and stats person well.

Seemed like she did better than Zyori or Purge, but yeah she's not near Cap or Kotlguy.

Auteezy

Banned
self-improvement is critical towards anything you're applying yourself in, so good on her yea, and i never discredited her attempts to improve. However, wasting potential viewers/following/profits by putting a subpar caster into a slot is just stupid from every perspective, not just a business one. If a caster wishes to move up on the totem pole, they should exceed their current expectations and move up to larger tournaments, not simply be slotted into something as big as a 6+ digit tournament due to their gender as a vocal minority has clamored about over the last 2 monthes

If she was hot i wouldn't mind her doing on camera stuff like those chicks on ESPN.

Deltoid

Banned
self-improvement is critical towards anything you're applying yourself in, so good on her yea, and i never discredited her attempts to improve. However, wasting potential viewers/following/profits by putting a subpar caster into a slot is just stupid from every perspective, not just a business one. If a caster wishes to move up on the totem pole, they should exceed their current expectations and move up to larger tournaments, not simply be slotted into something as big as a 6+ digit tournament due to their gender as a vocal minority has clamored about over the last 2 monthes

I agree with this in principle, and I'll always respect someone who moves up like this a lot more, however I don't agree that it is necessarily the better business move. In business it is common for inferior candidates to be fasttracked due to long term strategy. Sure she is awful, but with enough time, attention, and mentorship she will become satisfactory for sure. Having a decent female caster would be great for all the reasons diversity normally brings. Maybe she's not the right person for the community to focus on, because she's actually so awful, but the point still stands that sometimes it is worth investing in inferior casters.

i should be a caster tbh

ask blitz to boost your account im sure you'll make it in no time

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Time is unfortunately the only real solution to the casting/panel issues with Dota, or anything really. The people doing it now are there MOSTLY because they were the first people doing it or the first people that caught on. As time goes by talented people or even trained people will come up and replace them, some are already gone (bye lumi you suck). Remember Sports Communications is actually a major at some colleges, Syracuse most famously, and I wouldn't be surprised if programs and people emerge for esports as time goes on.

For on camera attire I used to be on board for suits all the time, but honestly if they just dressed well at all and appeared comfortable it would be fine. Like general going-out attire. As it stands they wear ill fitting clothes in bad ways, gross.

And of course +1 for dota panel chemistry being absolutely abysmal, bordering on painfully awful. Nahaz needs to be permanently eliminated from dota, he comes off as entirely fake and a waste of time and space.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
eSports casting is a shit job with shit hours and pay if you actually want to be good. Actual work and work hours pale to how much time/investment/passion is needed at a base level.

Those are my excuses for stopping anyway.

Low Tier
id bring in so much fashion sense on a dota panel

but then i'd just flame everything.

"oh that chink team is smoking to go secure their ancients, great stuff ROFL i bet they wish earth spirit was in the game"

Auteezy

Banned
Time is unfortunately the only real solution to the casting/panel issues with Dota, or anything really. The people doing it now are there MOSTLY because they were the first people doing it or the first people that caught on. As time goes by talented people or even trained people will come up and replace them, some are already gone (bye lumi you suck). Remember Sports Communications is actually a major at some colleges, Syracuse most famously, and I wouldn't be surprised if programs and people emerge for esports as time goes on.

For on camera attire I used to be on board for suits all the time, but honestly if they just dressed well at all and appeared comfortable it would be fine. Like general going-out attire. As it stands they wear ill fitting clothes in bad ways, gross.

And of course +1 for dota panel chemistry being absolutely abysmal, bordering on painfully awful. Nahaz needs to be permanently eliminated from dota, he comes off as entirely fake and a waste of time and space.

My MAn

TUSR

Banned

"oh that chink team is smoking to go secure their ancients, great stuff ROFL i bet they wish earth spirit was in the game"

LMAO

bring forth an era where people have real haircuts.

all dota casters are pretty bad, especially compared to top level talent in other games. If you can't have quality you might as well have diversity.

I guess the bigger question is why there aren't any actual good Dota casters, atleast not on the level of "this guy should be the one commentating the important matches" commentators like Yipes or Artosis.

Is the community too toxic to encourage new talent? Is the game too complex for someone to be both knowledgeable and charismatic? Is there no incentive for new people to bother since the same dozen people cast every event? Ever since the GOAT panel of 2GD and Bruno abandoned us we've had nothing.

Auteezy

Banned
Yeah dota panels are notoriously bad. They're only good when they have synderen or a pro player on the bench

synderens knowledge is great and all, but he's so awkward, his jokes are terrible, he laughs at his own jokes when others do that nervous laugh to not hang him out to dry. And he's pretty ugly with awful neckbeards. When he's the saving grace of your panel you know you are fucked.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

'two bear are skinny jeans gay'

synderens knowledge is great and all, but he's so awkward, his jokes are terrible, he laughs at his own jokes when others do that nervous laugh to not hang him out to dry. And he's pretty ugly with awful neckbeards. When he's the saving grace of your panel you know you are fucked.

leave synderdenden alone!

shira

Yeah Redeye did a really good interview on this. He compared how people like Kaci are so much more polished because that is what she does for a living and how esports and dota will eventually come to a point where either they get attractive talking heads with polish or not.

I don't think Dota 2 is sustainable for a college grad trying to make a career and it's unlikely that an IRL sports caster is going to switch to Dota so it feels like Tobi and LD are going to be here for the 2-3 years that Dota stays profitable. It's up to Valve, but they have hired hotties likes H4nni, 7ckingmad and Wagamama to balance out the less attractive personalities lately.

edit: Also I believe that MLG is a funded program poised to help transition these sports communication college grads into e-sports. Not sure if they will succed yet.

Low Tier
twobear quoting my gaybait questions trying to defend his honor SMFH

meanwhile this RL nadota thread delivers on every level

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

This is true

Ever since the GOAT panel of 2GD and Bruno abandoned us we've had nothing.

In retrospect 2GD and Bruno were worlds better than what we have now, even with the clown suits.

shira

Yall ruthless and deserve nothing but blaze zyori lumi tricasts

BzmDRYT.jpg

Mordeccai

'two bear are skinny jeans gay'

leave synderdenden alone!

Skinny jeans aren't gay bro. You just need to have the right frame, own appropriate clothes, and cultivate the right personage.

Translated this means you will look terrible in skinny jeans unless you are of the 10% of dudes that a) understand the limits of their fashion ability and b) have good fitting shirts to go with it.

But they're totes not gay.

Auteezy

Banned
Skinny jeans aren't gay bro. You just need to have the right frame, own appropriate clothes, and cultivate the right personage.

Translated this means you will look terrible in skinny jeans unless you are of the 10% of dudes that a) understand the limits of their fashion ability and b) have good fitting shirts to go with it.

But they're totes not gay.

of that 10% of dudes with fashion understanding and fitting clothes i bet 9% of them are gay

Red UFO

Yeah Redeye did a really good interview on this. He compared how people like Kaci are so much more polished because that is what she does for a living and how esports and dota will eventually come to a point where either they get attractive talking heads with polish or not.

I don't think Dota 2 is sustainable for a college grad trying to make a career and it's unlikely that an IRL sports caster is going to switch to Dota so it feels like Tobi and LD are going to be here for the 2-3 years that Dota stays profitable. It's up to Valve, but they have hired hotties likes H4nni, 7ckingmad and Wagamama to balance out the less attractive personalities lately.

edit: Also I believe that MLG is a funded program poised to help transition these sports communication college grads into e-sports. Not sure if they will succed yet.
Wagamama a hottie?????????????????

so inappropriate.

#1 reason why DV doesn't cast? I will inevitably blurt out, "OH SHIT that nigga just got bodied!"

DrPizza

Banned
honestly shes not a very good caster at all atm, people complain about tobi's accent but llamagirl's is actually much worse

im not saying she can't potentially become a good caster, but people saying 'llamadownunder should be casting bigger events its so refreshing cu shes a girl lol' are actually just being sexist.

llama's main issue is her pronunciation of "Manta".

Did anything change between dota 2 to reborn that affects brewlings?

I haven't played him since reborn and now all of a sudden I don't automatically revert to brew himself when the ult ends. I'm still selecting a non-existent earth panda and I have to manually select him again, which makes instant blink-away impossible.

Artanisix

there's a certain kind of energy you get with fgc casters that you just don't get in any other games, probably because of how intuitive and immediate spectating fighting games is. strictly one on one, no teams, you hit someone and they lose hp. it's very clear who is winning (to an extent)

you hit someone and they lose hp. it's very clear who is winning (to an extent)
Unless you're Phoenix in vanilla MVC3.

I do agree with you though, fighting games (and FPS games) tend to be much easier to understand than Dota/League which is good for watching. League just has better casters than Dota though so I dunno what the hold up is (apart from the Old Boys' Club)

He probably wouldn't, but he is a very entertaining man regardless.

A friend of mine pointed out maybe it is for the best if FGC casters (and fighting games as a whole) "stay poverty".

Hmmmmmmm. Nah. I'd rather they enjoy some financial empowerment and stay hype as hell. Struggling is not a requirement for hypeness. After all, if not for Yipes specifically and some of the others more broadly, a lot of people wouldn't even watch the fighting scene.

I agree with you, there are plenty of exciting moments in other games, but I don't quite get why part of the FGC seems happy to stay low-key.

I guess it's a sellout thing?

I can understand if they feel like having too many sponsors opens the community and its events up to having to wear Doritos hats and have Dew bottles adorning the dais. I just...they've brought so many people so much enjoyment, entertainment and memories over the years...I'd rather they didn't have to take the subway and drive across country to do events. :(

I can understand if they feel like having too many sponsors opens the community and its events up to having to wear Doritos hats and have Dew bottles adorning the dais. I just...they've brought so many people so much enjoyment, entertainment and memories over the years...I'd rather they didn't have to take the subway and drive across country to do events. :(

There was no company funding any FGC scene til arguably the last year, meanwhile every successful esport has a developer pouring millions into it. I think most of key FGC figures have been around long enough to have seen the last esports bubble burst, and also saw their genre get abandoned for a decade before that. They're not keen on pushing anything that can't be sustainable even in the worst-case scenario.

You can't assume companies that pay their entire professional roster a salary or companies that rent out completely empty stadiums for a whole week are somehow operating in the same business as something like EVO or CEO.

There was no company funding any FGC scene til arguably the last year, meanwhile every successful esport has a developer pouring millions into it. I think most of key FGC figures have been around long enough to have seen the last esports bubble burst, and also saw their genre get abandoned for a decade before that. They're not keen on pushing anything that can't be sustainable even in the worst-case scenario.

So you feel their reluctance to expand with corporate money is secondary to...fear of success (or failure, more specifically)?

You can't assume companies that pay their entire professional roster a salary or companies that rent out completely empty stadiums for a whole week are somehow operating in the same business as something like EVO or CEO.
I don't follow your point. They are operating in the same business: the eSports business. Whether they can put together events that are as big as or bigger than EVO or CEO (or outright sponsor them to the degree that they have to hold them in stadiums rather than hotel ballrooms) aren't even especially germane to the discussion Sig and I were having.

Top Bottom