• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Twookie

i hope u enjoy waiting until february

ogrxhQW.gif

So I decided to give the game a break to actually play good games, and when I comeback I realize the unpleasant memories still remain as fresh as ever, this thread follows down the same path feverishly it seems.

so then we're agreed, liquid are the best dota 2 team in the world as of sunday 6th december 17:38 gmt

So much for the best team in the world.

P3 is a tier above 4 story/character wise imo, but I'm not gonna pretend either are top tier RPGs.

hm.... Yeah, I think I can agree with that. I'd say P4 has better character development but the characters go from anime tropes to more developed anime tropes, so it's not a huge deal. P3 certainly has a more interesting cast.

With all these JRPGs coming out in the near future I wish more games would go back to basics without pandering to the buy-anything-with-moe anime crowd.
Correct on all counts.

None of the Persona games are Nocturne.
Have you played 2? It's infinitely more SMT than modern Persona.

Hylian7

You know what's great, Zero Escape 3 doesn't have to pander to the moe crowd. Thanks Aksys Games.

It's my most wanted game for 2016.

52club

Both EG and Secret have team comp issues. Maybe they will be lucky and the next patch will help resolve their issues, but I wouldn't count on that.

Hylian7

hm.... Yeah, I think I can agree with that. I'd say P4 has better character development but the characters go from anime tropes to more developed anime tropes, so it's not a huge deal. P3 certainly has a more interesting cast.

With all these JRPGs coming out in the near future I wish more games would go back to basics without pandering to the buy-anything-with-moe anime crowd.

Have you played 2? It's infinitely more SMT than modern Persona.
Persona 2 or SMT2? I haven't played either but I'm guessing P2, I do need to play that one, and have heard good things.

Persona 2 or SMT2? I haven't played either but I'm guessing P2, I do need to play that one, and have heard good things.

Yeah, Persona 2. They're really interesting. Definitely got that oldschool SMT jank, but the systems are super deep and there's a lot of thought put in to everything. Has a comparably obnoxious map to SMTIV, though. Full disclosure.

Auteezy

Banned
isn't there like a jrpg and anime thread out there for you guys to infest instead of my dota thread?

let's talk about important things like my genius arcana concept that would easily sell 2 million units. Or how Ryuborouz has a terrible voice for casting and I'm not sure why he is at this event at all

isn't there like a jrpg and anime thread out there for you guys to infest instead of my dota thread?

let's talk about important things like my genius arcana concept that would easily sell 2 million units. Or how Ryuborouz has a terrible voice for casting and I'm not sure why blitz+cap isn't casting these finals.

I like soe's hair cut.

Auteezy

Banned
i would say it's pretty broken if a team in the final of a LAN doesn't feel like they have to react to enemy picks at all

maybe it's not the lineup taht's broken due to icefrog balance, but it's just that the players are so comfortable on those heroes is what makes them feel they don't need to react to the other teams picks? can we not give credit to the players rather than just pass it off as an OP lineup thanks osfrog kappa keepo 4head etc

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
maybe it's not the lineup taht's broken due to icefrog balance, but it's just that the players are so comfortable on those heroes is what makes them feel they don't need to react to the other teams picks? can we not give credit to the players rather than just pass it off as an OP lineup thanks osfrog kappa keepo 4head etc

couldn't you say that the game being in that state is a balance issue?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
how is that a balance issue, using your best lineup no matter what you are against. It's like when that one team picked a PL into an ember, and then stomped with it.

if you're using a lineup that should be at a disadvantage, then it seems like it could at least be partially a balance issue if you're not actually at a disadvantage using it?

that's not to discount the player skill, it's only saying that your player skill is bolstered by your lineup being stronger than it 'should' be

Auteezy

Banned
if you're using a lineup that should be at a disadvantage, then it seems like it could at least be partially a balance issue if you're not actually at a disadvantage using it?

that's not to discount the player skill, it's only saying that your player skill is bolstered by your lineup being stronger than it 'should' be

that's up to the other team to know the favourite heroes and come up with a lineup to counter that and then execute. Draft is like Chess Bro, just because you make a better move on the board doesn't mean its op. Metas get stale, but player skill on heroes and lineups can still trump the conventional meta for a game or 2, which is why tournaments end up developing their own mini metas because somebody will bring something new to the table that previously didn't need to be countered.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
that's up to the other team to know the favourite heroes and come up with a lineup to counter that and then execute. Draft is like Chess Bro, just because you make a better move on the board doesn't mean its op. Metas get stale, but player skill on heroes and lineups can still trump the conventional meta for a game or 2, which is why tournaments end up developing their own mini metas because somebody will bring something new to the table that previously didn't need to be countered.

we're not talking about player skill trumping the conventional meta though, we're talking about the meta trumping conventional counterpicks.

chess comparison is poor because both players have the same pieces.

Auteezy

Banned
we're not talking about player skill trumping the conventional meta though, we're talking about the meta trumping conventional counterpicks.

the meta dictates the conventional counter picks...

and OG got destroyed with picking the same shit 2 games in a row so.... What is the issue here?

Auteezy

Banned
oh hmm, i was thinking more along the lines of counterpicks being informed by the hero design.

heroes need to have counters to keep them honest... The problem is when heroes end up with little to no counters in all phases of the game and become 100% pick+ban rate heroes, which always ends up happening because that's just how stuff happens, there will never be 100% hero parity.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
heroes need to have counters to keep them honest... The problem is when heroes end up with little to no counters in all phases of the game and become 100% pick+ban rate heroes, which always ends up happening because that's just how stuff happens, there will never be 100% hero parity.

so then i don't see what we're disagreeing about

Since I feel a lil bit rusty, what's the best hero out there to get back on track, I'm thinking of someone who requires and is capable of most of the game mechanics, would Lycan be a good choice for this? Maybe Lina?

Top Bottom