• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red UFO

people queueing all random, re-rolling their hero and then begging to swap because they didn't get what they wanted

CVvg7nTUsAA6vWP.jpg

marrec

Banned
mmh that's kinda fucking insane ain't it
add magnus aghs on top of it for good measure
yikes

If only the hero wasn't garbage up to that point.

Played Doom for the first time since the patch and man, that new ability is pretty nice. LVL? Death had a very narrow best use and I probably used it the most as a Linken breaker but this thing magnificent because it interrupts channeled abilities and I can spam the shit out of it. Break with Silver Edge followed by this and Doom and the poor bastards might as well just uninstall DOTES.

play unranked AR
then rage at clueless fucks who pick AR when they don't even know how heroes work

I force myself to do Single Draft so that I'm not just playing the same 8 offlane heroes over and over.

People playing all random or SD and then abandoning because they don't want to play what they got is most baffling to me, why the hell did you queue for something you clearly don't want to play?

Swapping is fine if you're not comfortable with the hero, but be prepared to play any hero no matter what because you may not be able to swap
I hate micro heroes but sometimes you just don't have a choice, gotta adapt
I rarely repick because of this, unless I get utter trash or micro heroes, it can often get much worse

marrec

Banned
Got Oracle in a single draft and it was too late to remember that I actually haven't read any of their abilities, pro strat I know.

Still was able to be effective though, doesn't take much to read through what you've got to work with and figure out how to effectively use their shit.

I picked Oracle cause other team had a DS btw, I knew I could purge the shell with something something Oracle.

People playing all random or SD and then abandoning because they don't want to play what they got is most baffling to me, why the hell did you queue for something you clearly don't want to play?

That's fine, I mean you get the chance to leave the game and don't waste your time, stuck playing in a game that someone purposely will screw because you didn't traded his favorite hero you got for a re-roll IO.

I have commended people for abandoning games they obviously have no desire of keep playing, a sacrifice that deserves to be recognized IMO.

I prefer randoming in non-ranked to have a gold advantage. I randomed in most of my latest games and I swear getting Tidehunter is more likely than any other hero. I loathe playing him and always end up swapping him.

yeah there are some that are fucking stupid
"oh hey I could get a 2 man ravage on these elusive heroes we're chasing. Nah I'll hold it."
"oh snap one of them ran out, the other one is TPing, better use my ravage now lol"

Wok

I have just tried the new standard build for Void (treads, mom, blink dagger, bkb, agha), and it is great for early to mid game. Late game, there is a distinctive lack of critical damage. Getting daedalus as a 6th item is a bit sad on Void.

Russ T

Banned
saw star wars yesterday

fuckin nerds clapped at character twice

TWICE

TWICE

goddamnit fuck star wars

(edit: removed spoilers in case someone accidentally clicks cause this is a dota thread c'est la vie)

After careful consideration and a few matches under the belt

8OVxRPp.png

Aghs is Drow's battlefury. No more, no less, really. Buying it with the hope of getting a lot of team fight mileage out of it is a fool's game. It doesn't turn Drow into Medusa or Luna. What it does do is let her clear faster than anyone in the game, period. Aghs + maelstrom is broken farming speeds.

Pick up a Dragon Lance to knock down towers if you're in a match where you can/want to play a pushing/split pushing style. With Dragon Lance, Drow basically becomes higher damage Sniper as far as towers are concerned, as she outranges max tower aggro range with that item (!) and hits for maybe 75% more damage at most phases of the game than Sniper does. Dragon Lance is also good for chasing down/kiting for kills. The build works well if you want to just find pickoffs. Break down Dragon Lance into Bfly and maybe BKB after the outter towers have all been claimed.

After you decide how you want to play the game and buy items to compliment it, fill in the rest of the items as needed (BKB, Daed, MKB, Satanic, whatever) as usual.

TLDR:
  • Aghs is nothing just the equivalent of a Battlefury on AM. Primarily good for farming, but not a great item for team fighting. You significantly increase your farm potential but not so much your team fight damage unless you have like...idunno, maybe a Magnus or Enigma on the squad.
  • Max farming build will include an early Aghs, Morbid and Maelstrom. You're the ranged anti-mage. Maybe include a blink dagger or phase boots or something for maximum farming efficiency.
  • Max pushing build will include a Dragon Lance. Include Shadowblade for split pushing and aggro play. Shadowblade into Silver Edge if against an appropriate amount of passives worth disabling.

Note: One of the games I only had the Mjollnir as my best damage item and it felt like shit. Don't do that. Drow still needs a Daed or MKB to augment her damage later. I think stopping at maelstrom is really enough, then using that high income to build into "Drow-appropriate" items (bfly, daed, satanic, manta, etc). Maybe finish Mjollnir as the 6th item. Daed/MKB, Travels and Satanic before Mjollnir completion for sure. After fully 6-slotted, sell Aghs for something else, IMO.

The Aghs doesn't work with your Manta illusions right? I think that would be a good change to make her even better as a split pusher but maybe too good.

And I agree with your point about Mjollnir, it doesn't really compliment Drow's skillset, it gives her nothing she needs.

All the ones I played witH were top notch morons

Last tide I played with refused to teamfight and spent the game farming (didn't even buy blink dagger)...

I will purchase refresher orb 3K gold
I will purchase shiva's guard 2K gold
I will purchase heart of terrasque 4K gold..

kept spamming that in chat too while we were slowly getting pushed in.

The Aghs doesn't work with your Manta illusions right? I think that would be a good change to make her even better as a split pusher but maybe too good.

And I agree with your point about Mjollnir, it doesn't really compliment Drow's skillset, it gives her nothing she needs.

Mjollnir Aghs is like...bruh, try it. You 1 or 2-shot full waves of creeps because the split arrows can all proc maelstrom charges of their own. Mjollnir + Aghs Drow is only eclipsed by a Daedalus proc'ing, Bfury carrying Kunkka as far as wave clearing goes. But it didn't feel nearly as effective in team fights. Probably because I didn't have any big damage items and enemies don't usually group enough to cause the the kind of maelstrom proc'ing we'd want to see (split arrows only have a 375 radius). Which again makes it a farm accelerator rather than a team fight item. That said, Mjollnir + Aghs Drow can easily defend against megas by herself. That's how ridiculous it is.

Maelstrom to mjollnir only gives 30 damage to the proc damage, on top of 60 AS
If you don't absolutely need AS or the static charge I'd say don't upgrade it, it's rather costly for an item you're likely to ditch come super late game (unless you're dealing with heavy creeps spam ala furion or necrobooks, or megacreeps)

Demoli

Maelstrom to mjollnir only gives 30 damage to the proc damage, on top of 60 AS
If you don't absolutely need AS or the static charge I'd say don't upgrade it, it's rather costly for an item you're likely to ditch come super late game (unless you're dealing with heavy creeps spam ala furion or necrobooks, or megacreeps)

I imagine that extra 30 damage, on all the procs on all the bounces more than makes it worth it. Plus, the as is always great to get even more procs and the charge is always good, even if not on yourself.

Mjollnir Aghs is like...bruh, try it. You 1 or 2-shot full waves of creeps because the split arrows can all proc maelstrom charges of their own. Mjollnir + Aghs Drow is only eclipsed by a Daedalus proc'ing, Bfury carrying Kunkka as far as wave clearing goes. But it didn't feel nearly as effective in team fights. Probably because I didn't have any big damage items and enemies don't usually group enough to cause the the kind of maelstrom proc'ing we'd want to see (split arrows only have a 375 radius). Which again makes it a farm accelerator rather than a team fight item. That said, Mjollnir + Aghs Drow can easily defend against megas by herself. That's how ridiculous it is.

Oh I forgot it did 30 extra damage per proc, that changes things. I guess if you find yourself pushing/clearing creeps more than you're fighting it's good to get, especially if you have a teammate to put the charge on.

I imagine that extra 30 damage, on all the procs on all the bounces more than makes it worth it. Plus, the as is always great to get even more procs and the charge is always good, even if not on yourself.

Yea for farming and wave clear, it's super worth. BUT...full Mjollnir later, I think. Unless you're playing for the ultra-late game and avoiding fights as it will certainly accelerate your farm like no other but the cost of mediocre team fight contributions. Idunno...still a WIP, reall. Only a few matches under the belt. I may have more thoughts after 10-20 more matches in this patch.

Oh, random thought: Dragon Lance is really nice for Drow to help her survive the burst meta. That extra 10 STR is legit as fuck. Especially if you're also going Silver Edge or SnY. You'll have like 1800HP with DL + SE. Add a SnY and...well you're probably not going to get straight up bursted by anyone. Really happy about that, tbqh.

Yeah, but can Void really tolerate having one no-stats item (Blink) and one low-stats item (Aghs)?
If you're offlane Void and have a team that can do the damage for you, then yes he can deal with it. If he's your main damage source you'll need damage first, aghs is pretty good though, resolves his mana issues.

I mean if they got Chen and then re-rolled Meepo or something, I wouldn't blame them. Otherwise I agree.

both chen and meepo slay quite a bit, though.

even if you aren't fond of the micro work or blink (especially blink chen which goes the fuck OFF) you can just build both as aura horses and go nutso with push, ez heroes

I'd much rather random chen/meepo/visage than fucking razor or dp

I think in that last Vive post on the main boards(or well, the one before the last, not the one that's about them having a new tech discovery), they demoed Summer Lesson in it or something, so it seems it isn't exclusive.

As for the room, guess it depends on the type of experience you'd trying for, don't think you need a full room for it for most of the stuff though. There was a video of some dev guy showing what kind of space you could get use for VR and it was fairly small. Like as long as you can move a table out of the way or whatever, that's enough space if you're going with systems where you don't actually walk yourself and what not. Seems a lot of it have to do with software solutions to movement.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/678795175167037440

Looks like a no on Summer Lesson for Vive.

As for needing a room: maybe I don't need a full actual room per se, but having about as much space as, say a living room area with a couch etc definitely helps. I've tried most of the initially released demos (even have a Vive kit in the office courtesy of a friend ) and the most impressive ones are the ones in which you have enough space to walk around a bit in.

Wok

I have just had one very close game as Arc Warden, getting our throne to very low after the game being totally dominated by Pudge, Bristleback, Chen and Invoker. Then suddenly ultra-kill while they suicide-push, teleport top lane, go straight for throne and gg.

3RlGhbX.png

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2019691866

https://yasp.co/matches/2019691866

If you have time, check the last minutes (it starts at 40min 50sec). This has to be one of the most unreal comeback I have ever experienced.

Only possible in an Arc Warden game: an underleveled hero with boots of travel and fast push capacity.

Edit: I have watched the replay, and there is this pro play by Doom to buy a desolator for the gg push. Also amazing defense of the team 4 vs 5.

Edit: Actually, it could have been a rampage. It could also have been a loss if I had not survived with less than 100 hp from the last fight with Pudge.

There is so much material there, I have submitted the clip to DotaCinema in the Fail section.

Sibylus

Banned
After careful consideration and a few matches under the belt

8OVxRPp.png

Aghs is Drow's battlefury. No more, no less, really. Buying it with the hope of getting a lot of team fight mileage out of it is a fool's game. It doesn't turn Drow into Medusa or Luna. What it does do is let her clear faster than anyone in the game, period. Aghs + maelstrom is broken farming speeds.

Pick up a Dragon Lance to knock down towers if you're in a match where you can/want to play a pushing/split pushing style. With Dragon Lance, Drow basically becomes higher damage Sniper as far as towers are concerned, as she outranges max tower aggro range with that item (!) and hits for maybe 75% more damage at most phases of the game than Sniper does. Dragon Lance is also good for chasing down/kiting for kills. The build works well if you want to just find pickoffs. Break down Dragon Lance into Bfly and maybe BKB after the outter towers have all been claimed.

After you decide how you want to play the game and buy items to compliment it, fill in the rest of the items as needed (BKB, Daed, MKB, Satanic, whatever) as usual.

TLDR:
  • Aghs is nothing just the equivalent of a Battlefury on AM. Primarily good for farming, but not a great item for team fighting. You significantly increase your farm potential but not so much your team fight damage unless you have like...idunno, maybe a Magnus or Enigma on the squad.
  • Max farming build will include an early Aghs, Morbid and Maelstrom. You're the ranged anti-mage. Maybe include a blink dagger or phase boots or something for maximum farming efficiency.
  • Max pushing build will include a Dragon Lance. Include Shadowblade for split pushing and aggro play. Shadowblade into Silver Edge if against an appropriate amount of passives worth disabling.

Note: One of the games I only had the Mjollnir as my best damage item and it felt like shit. Don't do that. Drow still needs a Daed or MKB to augment her damage later. I think stopping at maelstrom is really enough, then using that high income to build into "Drow-appropriate" items (bfly, daed, satanic, manta, etc). Maybe finish Mjollnir as the 6th item. Daed/MKB, Travels and Satanic before Mjollnir completion for sure. After fully 6-slotted, sell Aghs for something else, IMO.
Definitely itching to try Aghs Drow. Wonder how I'd incorporate my usual Blink/Force (if at all)
hush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom