• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounchfx

it's funny that this incomplete game feels far more polished and complete than most games I pay full price for :(

ok now gimmie tiredide.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DIRETIDE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DIRETIDE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DIRETIDE

I'm gonna go hand out some candy to some cute little kids running around the neighborhood. Real talk, I haven't been this disappointed in Valve in a long time.

It's not really even about the fact that the Halloween event never came; it's the way that they handled it and continue handling things related to Dota2's development and upcoming features and heroes. It's not really funny, and not really fun to have no expectations or even an vague timeline for anything. Especially after a year and a half of consistency. It smacks of a general disregard for the player base. If they had said a week ago that there wouldn't be a DireTide 2013 we would have been salty, but at least we wouldn't have been at our fucking computers staring at dev forums and hoping a download was going to start at any second in Steam. If they'd simply say, "hey our next hero probably won't be out until around Thanksgiving", followed by updates along the way people would be HAPPY. It's a matter of respect and communication. Something I've noticed RIOT is very fucking good at with their damn near daily blog updates and such. It almost feels like a running conversation with them that never stops. With Dota2 and Valve it couldn't be more opposite.

I've never wished more for a game to still be in Beta. At least then it seemed there was a schedule to keep to.

Kard8p3

I'm gonna go hand out some candy to some cute little kids running around the neighborhood. Real talk, I haven't been this disappointed in Valve in a long time.

It's not really even about the fact that the Halloween event never came; it's the way that they handled it and continue handling things related to Dota2's development and upcoming features and heroes. It's not really funny, and not really fun to have no expectations or even an vague timeline for anything. Especially after a year and a half of consistency. It smacks of a general disregard for the player base. If they had said a week ago that there wouldn't be a DireTide 2013 we would have been salty, but at least we wouldn't have been at our fucking computers staring at dev forums and hoping a download was going to start at any second in Steam. If they'd simply say, "hey our next hero probably won't be out until around Thanksgiving", followed by updates along the way people would be HAPPY. It's a matter of respect and communication. Something I've noticed RIOT is very fucking good at with their damn near daily blog updates and such. It almost feels like a running conversation with them that never stops. With Dota2 and Valve it couldn't be more opposite.

I've never wished more for a game to still be in Beta. At least then it seemed there was a schedule to keep to.

Man, the more I hear this the more I agree...and the more upset with Valve I get.

docbon

preach.

MKAllDay

it's funny that this incomplete game feels far more polished and complete than most games I pay full price for :(

ok now gimmie tiredide.

While it is very polished it is still quite incomplete based on their objective of fully recreating WC3 DotA. It is somewhat similar to Square shipping that FFX HD remake but leaving out a couple of the key bosses and Aeons(summons) with the idea that they will one day patch them in. All while introducing a few new bugs that can sometimes alter the game.

Sure there are some differences like that is a payed product and a 1:1 HD face lift where as Dota 2 a remake but in a different sense. But I am sure you get the point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My only guess is that setting up the world wide distribution is eating up a lot of resources for some reason. That, or valve is doing sort of engine overhaul that has taken longer then expected.

I fully agree with this. The radio silence was fine when updates were consistent but now it's terrible, especially when they decide to ditch events they did the year prior. It really reminds me of what they did with the holiday sales. I understand their reasons for not communicating with their fan base in regards to things that they're developing, but it would be nice of them to say when they're not doing things any longer to prevent disappoint when events are expected.

MKAllDay

I could not have said it better myself. I wish this could just be stickied in everything Dota until Valve gets the point.

Artanisix

halloween candy tier list

god tier
1. nerds
2. skittles
3. sweetarts

high tier
4. hersheys
5. jellybelly packs
6. dumdums

mid tier
7. snickers
8. butterfingers

low tier
9. mnms
10. twizzlers

shit tier
11. almond joys

traveler

Not Wario
No Reeses, the most god tier candy of all? (or even the pieces :()

I feel like everytime I've started to write what Dreams' just posted, I've stopped myself either because TI3 was so recent and awesome, or that the game in general is really well done, or even just because I have a ton of respect for Valve and think they're probably the best dev in the business at the moment. But, yeah, while they deserve a lot of slack and this is a "free" game, it's probably fair to level some criticism at their communications and priorities at this point.

Real talk: buy and eat the good candy for yourself, hand out the stuff you don't like.

For chocolates, Kit Kats are probably my favorite. Sugar-based/fruity I usually prefer Skittles.

bounchfx

While it is very polished it is still quite incomplete based on their objective of fully recreating WC3 DotA. It is somewhat similar to Square shipping that FFX HD remake but leaving out a couple of the key bosses and Aeons(summons) with the idea that they will one day patch them in. All while introducing a few new bugs that can sometimes alter the game.

Sure there are some differences like that is a payed product and a 1:1 HD face lift where as Dota 2 a remake but in a different sense. But I am sure you get the point.

Ahh, I see. I never played WC3 Dota so I'm not really keen on whats missing outside of 'more heroes'. What then, though? Do we keep asking for more heroes? When is this type of game really 'done'? I'm already incredibly impressed by how much there is, although it's a simple game it's super deep.

Even if Valve releases the Halloween event right now, is too late for european users since it is almost 2 a.m. from the 1st October already. Nice way from Valve to remind them that Halloween doesn't belong to their culture.

traveler

Not Wario
Ahh, I see. I never played WC3 Dota so I'm not really keen on whats missing outside of 'more heroes'. What then, though? Do we keep asking for more heroes? When is this type of game really 'done'? I'm already incredibly impressed by how much there is, although it's a simple game it's super deep.

Even if it is just heroes, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it's that people who've played the old game have their "mains" or even just heroes they really enjoyed playing and they've been waiting on them for years now. It's not the need for new content; it's just the desire to have your favs back. To use another analogy, it'd be like a Ryu player having to wait three years into SFIV to use him all so Capcom could release him with extra outfits ready to go. (see anbokr and terrorblade)

greatpumpkin.png

Just watched with GF and this how I felt

Diretide or not Happy Halloween from me

I'm not going to lie, I might just be easy to please, but valve could never add anything ever again and I'd probably be fine with the fun I've gotten out of my time and money investment.

MKAllDay

At least for me it is done when they port all the heroes. Hell I don't even mean Arc Warden, Winter Wyvern, Oracle, and Earth Spirit as they were released after Dota 2 development started. Just finish all the older DotA heroes that are missing and I would consider it done. Anything beyond that is just a bonus.

You could argue any game in this genre is never "done" as there will always be new hero production until the game is finally abandoned. However for a remake such as this I think for it to be complete, at least in that regard, you need to get all the content of the original game in. Then once you have that baseline you can worry about additional brand new heroes and how often they are added.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My only guess is that setting up the world wide distribution is eating up a lot of resources for some reason. That, or valve is doing sort of engine overhaul that has taken longer then expected.
Or the team is now too small to do much of anything because everyone moved to other projects and you can't force valve employees to work on something

IceMarker

Praise this man, for he speaks the TRUTH.

Or the team is now too small to do much of anything because everyone moved to other projects and you can't force valve employees to work on something

their team is about 10 times the size of the TF team, and they managed to put out a good Halloween.

I'm not sure what's up with Dota. They seem to be working on something big, and rather than releasing it in pieces, they seem content to go long stretches without anything and then release something huge. The problem is, there's no indication this might be what they're doing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The way Valve "handled" this is objectively indefensible in my mind. It was obvious that the community was going to expect this, so for them to not only deliver nothing but never say a single fucking word about it is damn near malicious towards their player base. So avoidable on a dozen different levels.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Coming this Christmas:

Full Parity Patch with back to back Diretide and Frostivus for 4 weeks of celebration to make up for the lack of updates until now. Private MMR values and stat tracking. Automated Guild Leagues and tournaments. Hotjoin games. DM, Tag team, OMGWTF. New genetic AI algorithms so you'll never have to play against humans ever again. Complete mod tools releasing along with Enfos, Tree Tag Enting, X Hero Siege, Wintermaul, TD, Tides of Blood, Vampirism, My Little Support Can't be This Rich Visual Novel, Infestation, and of course, Pudge Wars.

Sanic

And it's not like they don't have some kind of PR/communications team.

Do you really think somebody on the TF2 dev team is just "the funny guy" and writes all of those blog posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom