• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
BYGhZMRCcAA0DDQ.jpg:large

chaun isn't on a pro team right?

Hylian7

Imagine trying to explain the situation to the police.

So uhh I analyse patches for a game on my blog and uhh these guys want something to happen in the game that isn't happening so I'm getting threatening phone calls. I don't work for the company that created the game.

EDIT: Just clarify, I'm not saying DON'T call the cops, I'm just pointing how bizarre and pathetic the scenario is.
I imagine all that would necessary during the call would be "I'm getting threatening phone calls."

Ketch

I imagine all that would necessary during the call would be "I'm getting threatening phone calls."

Exactly... Death threats are not cool. Unfortunately without proof, like a recording or multiple calls from the same number, they can't do anything about it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, good thing D2L didn't take my first bet, Team Mason had 3 standins and was missing Mason him self. Admins gave the team a 1 game disadvantage, so it was 1 and done for Team Sleisel.

elyetis

I'm not going to leave, I'm just having a pretty shit day.

Received a phone call earlier today on my personal phone number with some idiot threatening to "visit my home" and now we have some more idiots who think it's a great idea to post my number on websites.

This community is really bloody pathetic.
Better call the police, even thought I fear they probably can't do much at this point. :/
And people wonder why Valve doesn't say anything to the community.
Yes I still wonder, because official blog post doesn't bring any risk of seeing that situation happen. And I do hope the few people who are actually in touch with the dota 2 dev team, will see further than those *insert insult about people threatening matt* and try to help them remember the official blog user and password.

Anyway, just played an Axe game; won but really not thanks to me, I should look some replay of good axe game because my laning phase was shit and I most likely made pretty poor item choice ( well it more than likely since I forgot about boot while I had my tarask almost finished xD ).

Haunted

I leave for a day and shit starts hitting the fan. Obviously a case of the awful 1% of a community giving a shit reputation to the other 99%, but it's enough to sting and leave a real bad aftertaste.

These personal threats are completely out of line. Also good on the mods for perming that troll on the past page, it's the strict moderation that makes GAF the most tolerable of all gaming communities.

Yes I still wonder, because official blog post doesn't bring any risk of seeing that situation happen. And I do hope the few people who are actually in touch with the dota 2 dev team, will see further than those *insert insult about people threatening matt* and try to help them remember the official blog user and password.
Showing half life fans all they have to do is spam some stuff on the presidents wall and make some death threats and then they'll get news on half life 3.

I mean all valve has to do is tell them they're working on it! All it takes! They owe me as the games aren't finished and it ended on a cliff hanger.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh, neat! Can anyone add themselves to the list or do you need to contact someone to get considered? I'm not very good but I'll be someone's ward buyer. I even know how to stack and pull if it's still relevant!

And people wonder why Valve doesn't say anything to the community. Not that it excuses these assholes behaviour. That's a whole new realm of crazy. The Dota community really is the worst of the worst.

I hope this blows over soon. I don't even know what I'd do if my number got into the public sphere like that. That really sucks man. :(

It got this bad because Valve didnt say anything. If the community is bad, than the shitty public relations just exacerbated the problem. This never would have exploded if Valve had said something earlier, even if it was confirmation of no Diretide. They had plenty of time.

Too late now though.

While I dont like Matt getting harassed over the phone like he is, I have no empathy for the shitty pr Valve is getting.

BeesEight

It got this bad because Valve didnt say anything. If the community is bad, than the shitty public relations just exacerbated the problem. This never would have exploded if Valve had said something earlier, even if it was confirmation of no Diretide. They had plenty of time.

Too late now though.

Yeah... that sounds like it's excusing this behaviour. This is no one's fault but the community's. And this is hardly the first time we've seen ridiculous actions from these fans. It's even more pathetic considering the quality of content we've been getting to date.

I'm bummed we didn't get Diretide too, but I'm not threatening Cyborgmatt or spamming unrelated boards and threads about it. There are reasonable responses and as a whole we've long since passed that point.

Edit: The Dota community isn't and shouldn't be some monster that requires appeasement else they'll unleash harassment on anyone they can.

Sibylus

Banned
Yar, blaming the situation on lack of communication instead of, I don't know, unhinged morons with poor impulse control is a non-starter. Extremists are to blame for extremism, not other people who could have tried to mollify them but didn't. There is no point where you can please extremists without total capitulation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah... that sounds like it's excusing this behaviour. This is no one's fault but the community's. And this is hardly the first time we've seen ridiculous actions from these fans. It's even more pathetic considering the quality of content we've been getting to date.

I'm bummed we didn't get Diretide too, but I'm not threatening Cyborgmatt or spamming unrelated boards and threads about it. There are reasonable responses and as a whole we've long since passed that point.

So go ahead and generalize the whole community (that you are a part of, reminds me of the wonderful gaf hivemind shit). I'm not excusing the behavior. But outside of Matt's situation I dont feel bad about it either. The volvo shit is frankly fucking hilarious.

Dahbomb

People were blaming lack of communication way before this whole Diretide situation. This is a recurrent problem with Valve, it's just how they operate. At least it's not as bad as other game companies.

Morons will be morons but Valve still should do something about this. They aren't required to do anything but a show of good faith would go a long way in cooling down some folks. If anything they should address the reasonable minded DOTA fans like most people here. Just something like "No Diretide this year but significant content on the way soon".

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yar, blaming the situation on lack of communication instead of, I don't know, unhinged morons with poor impulse control is a non-starter. Extremists are to blame for extremism, not other people who could have tried to mollify them but didn't. There is no point where you can please extremists without total capitulation.

It never would have gotten extreme in the first place if something had been said. It just would have been the normal bitching and disappointment and whining about hat updates that always happened. Now its spiraled out of control.

Obviously now nothing less than total capitulation or time will "solve" the problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure even capitulation wouldnt be enough. It just has to run its stupid course.

Dahbomb

At this point we are just one stone throw away from a death threat to some Valve employee. I wish I was joking but I am not... death threats have been sent over something far less trivial than this. This is way past being a problem, this is something that needs damage control unless Valve employees are fine with getting calls from strangers or someone showing up at their house.

Sibylus

Banned
It never would have gotten extreme in the first place if something had been said. It just would have been the normal bitching and disappointment and whining about hat updates that always happened. Now its spiraled out of control.

Obviously now nothing less than total capitulation or time will "solve" the problem.
BZZZT. It's always that extreme, it just tends to be channeled to places we generally care less about. When it's community figures that draw the ire of the mob, suddenly it becomes personable and noteworthy. You're ascribing more power to Valve press releases than they possess.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BZZZT. It's always that extreme, it just tends to be channeled to places we generally care less about. When it's community figures that draw the ire of the mob, suddenly it becomes personable and noteworthy. You're ascribing more power to Valve press releases than they possess.

Its much simpler when there is a single, generalized, easy target to blame for this shitstorm so you can ignore that one of your favorite game companies helped it along, huh. If you wanna absolve them of any part in this, fine.

elyetis

Showing half life fans all they have to do is spam some stuff on the presidents wall and make some death threats and then they'll get news on half life 3.
The fact that stupid action are being done in the name of a given 'cause' doesn't mean the 'cause' ( cause is probably the wrong word when it comes to the lack of communication of the dota 2 team, but you get the idea ) is bad in itself. With so many topic centered around feminism in the past months I think something like that should be a given.

Now by all mean I'm not saying people would be in complet love with everything Valve would say on it's blog if they communicated more ( nor do i think we should put the blame on Valve when thing go that far out of control ( threats ), people are responsible of their own actions ); there would still be people bitching, etc.. but I do think it would please some/many of us and avoid things from escalating as much as it just did.

shira

BYHNbppCYAAXfHN.jpg:large

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Speed Gaming!
The leaders and best!
Hail! Hail! to Rattlesnake International,
The champions of the West!

Sibylus

Banned
I blame them for what they're actually at fault for, not communicating. I just happen to think absolving nutters of using that as a pretext for burning shit is absurd. Substitute any game developer into this position that pleases you, the equation doesn't change.

BeesEight

So go ahead and generalize the whole community (that you are a part of, reminds me of the wonderful gaf hivemind shit). I'm not excusing the behavior. But outside of Matt's situation I dont feel bad about it either. The volvo shit is frankly fucking hilarious.

Er, it is the community's fault. Yes, I'm part of this community and yes there are portions of the community that are sane, reasonable and not causing this stupidity.

But when we're talking about large, anonymous groups like this unless you can produce a name of the people who are taking things too far then it is our problem - not Valve's. If the "gaf hivemind" is a socially conscious entity then I'd rather that than misguided finger pointing.

As part of this toxic community, I do my part to try and make things better by not being retarded when I get let down by Valve's inaction. But I'm not going to justify the actions of the extreme. If people want to criticize Valve for lack of community involvement then that's fine and dandy. But we don't need to be prank calling wholly unrelated entities (or anyone really) about it.

Shinypogs

I am really really bad about buying items I've never used before. I have like a set of things I use on each hero and god forbid I have to stray outside that list for any reason. Still I tried out the urn of shadows today, it's kinda neat and I can see why it's used/recommended a lot.

Almost at 100 matches against real people, it feels like I've learned so much and there's still a million things I don't know/understand.

Razzer

Hail! Hail! to Speed Gaming!
The leaders and best!
Hail! Hail! to Rattlesnake International,
The champions of the West!

Sing is really small.

hamchan

Was the prank call to Volvo really that much different from Anti-Mage calling the magic shop?

Admittedly, the latter was way more entertaining.

The prank call didn't really feel malicious at all, just an attempt at being funny, so I don't really know why that's continuously being brought up as an example of a toxic community unless one just dislikes the entire concept of prank calls entirely.

The death threats are the real bad thing here.

BeesEight

Was the prank call to Volvo really that much different from Anti-Mage calling the magic shop?

Admittedly, the latter was way more entertaining.

Probably not.

I make mention of it because of how out of hand things have become and the prank call is just an easy way to demonstrate how it's impacting completely unrelated parties. On its own, I don't think it's harmful but it's not helping the current issue either.

Haunted

wait, what?

http://www.twitch.tv/crispylovesyou

edit: game's over now, only saw the last minute, looked weird. Zombies constantly spawning in base and teams defending their throne. Beta holdout? I was confused. >_>

edit²: ah, it's a mod. gotcha. For a second I thought they'd snuck a patch past us after all.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
At this point we are just one stone throw away from a death threat to some Valve employee. I wish I was joking but I am not... death threats have been sent over something far less trivial than this. This is way past being a problem, this is something that needs damage control unless Valve employees are fine with getting calls from strangers or someone showing up at their house.

We already passed that point. Every Valve that logged on to the dev forums the other night was having hate and death threats spammed on their wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom