• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
im kinda surprised at the extent of the backlash against valve

kinda gross really
It's over the top but it's kind of hard to feel bad for them when they let unpaid community members like Matt take the brunt of it because they're too dumb to tweet something ahead of time. This wasn't a hard reaction to predict

Artanisix

TBH CM's ult has been buffed repeatedly over the past few years, her ult with scepter is absurdly powerful now, and with decent positioning you can get at least half of it off every time.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
CM ult with shadow blade makes me sad. Who do these people think they're fooling? Is it just me or have there been generally more shadow blades out there lately? That and Midas. Dunno why so many heroes that normally don't get those are grabbing them lately.

It's over the top but it's kind of hard to feel bad for them when they let unpaid community members like Matt take the brunt of it because they're too dumb to tweet something ahead of time. This wasn't a hard reaction to predict
yea everyone should have known death threats would come out because of no diretide

i mean duhhhhhhh

shira

2388-1378746512.jpeg

http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

110.png
i8Sgwn8ZNohbU.png
1327.png

USA, USA, USA!
iT4Fq4iAk29I8.gif
ibcsdwVOx7LPqM.gif

ibiO3iC2aSsd2p.gif

Winner gets [A]
1st place $13k
2nd place $6k
3rd place $4k

Go go go LIVE!!!

Dahbomb

CM ult with shadow blade makes me sad. Who do these people think they're fooling? Is it just me or have there been generally more shadow blades out there lately? That and Midas. Dunno why so many heroes that normally don't get those are grabbing them lately.
Shadowblade has been popular for a long time now especially in pubs. Hell it just got a nerf.

CMs ulti has been buffed repeatedly over the past 6 or so big patches. It always surprises people in team fights. Although what has really put CM over the top in competitive play are the new Tranq boots.

shira

Twitch chat delivers

/╲/\╭(◕◕◡◕◕)╮/\╱\ pick BROODMAMA

Shadowblade has been popular for a long time now especially in pubs. Hell it just got a nerf.

CMs ulti has been buffed repeatedly over the past 6 or so big patches. It always surprises people in team fights. Although what has really put CM over the top in competitive play are the new Tranq boots.

And because she can jungle.

Gaaraz

Just played a game and our team lost something like 78 - 2

Just felt horribly unbalanced, it wasn't too long before one of their heros could summon creatures that were killing us in just a few hits, and we were barely doing any damage to

The interface (and in particular the shop system) seem unecessarily confusing and complex at times too... being honest coming from League of Legends I didn't see any thing in that one game that would make me want to play this over it, apart from the fact you can control people if they're AFK for too long I guess, that's a nice touch.

Just felt horribly unbalanced, it wasn't too long before one of their heros could summon creatures that were killing us in just a few hits, and we were barely doing any damage to

The interface (and in particular the shop system) seem unecessarily confusing and complex at times too... being honest coming from League of Legends I didn't see any thing in that one game that would make me want to play this over it, apart from the fact you can control people if they're AFK for too long I guess, that's a nice touch.

I'm assuming the hero was Visage? He's a really strong hero but the birds aren't too bad if you know how to deal with them, they really should be able to solo heroes

I don't really see how the shop is too complex, unless you mean the fact that there is more than one? Just use a recommended build if you're new, they're usually pretty decent

Bob1991

Neo Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you got killed by these.
200px-Necronomicon_warrior.png
200px-Necronomicon_archer.png

Artanisix

Your first few games are typically used to figure out where to place you. There are a lot of asshole smurfs in these first games, play more and you will drop dramatically to levels where you're on even playing fields.

Of course everything seems confusing and complex, you're familiar with a completely different moba. Whenever I play LoL I have to stare at the shop and read every tooltip because I don't know what anything does. These sorts of things come with time. Use the recommended items on the side will give you a headstart.

Gaaraz

Thank you guys... I think yeah, the secret shop thing is a little confusing, also the fact it doesn't make it clear about upgrade paths for items and weapons (nor can you seemingly click on an item you have to see it's paths... it just uses the item!) and that most of the recommended items were usable rather than anything that permanently boosted your stats

I was getting killed by huge tree guys with clubs if that helps identify them btw

That score is pretty damn weird, so I'm gonna say it was most likely assholes with smurf accounts.

Keep playing and those guys will disappear.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Thank you guys... I think yeah, the secret shop thing is a little confusing, also the fact it doesn't make it clear about upgrade paths for items and weapons (nor can you seemingly click on an item you have to see it's paths... it just uses the item!) and that most of the recommended items were usable rather than anything that permanently boosted your stats

I was getting killed by huge tree guys with clubs if that helps identify them btw

If you click the item in the store rather than your inventory you can see the upgrade path.

If you click on an item in the store it shows you what it builds into or what builds into it

Dota has a lot of usable items, most of them do boost your stats though. The only main one I can think of outside of health potions, tangos, mana pots and gem of true sight that doesn't offer stats is Blink Dagger. Most other ones will give you some stats

Gaaraz

Thanks guys - I'll stick with it then, seems like I definitely need to give it more of a chance... also I was doing lots of that Artan... starting at tooltips trying to figure out what everything did.

It didn't help that I had no idea what to concentrate on for my hero (ie attack speed, damage, magic, armour and regen etc) and like I said the recommended/starter items all seemed to be a be either one use items, or items that constantly required managing... I'm used to LoL whereby the items mostly give you good passive traits and you can create good builds without having to constantly worry about activating items - especially when you're new to the game (I played as Pudge by the way)

Bob1991

Neo Member

I don't know of anything that would be labeled as a huge tree guy with a club. Unless you were beat to death by a tree wielding rock guy.
tumblr_m6y9ujga7m1ql1gfxo1_400.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Thanks guys - I'll stick with it then, seems like I definitely need to give it more of a chance... also I was doing lots of that Artan... starting at tooltips trying to figure out what everything did.

It didn't help that I had no idea what to concentrate on for my hero (ie attack speed, damage, magic, armour and regen etc) and like I said the recommended/starter items all seemed to be a be either one use items, or items that constantly required managing... I'm used to LoL whereby the items mostly give you good passive traits and you can create good builds without having to constantly worry about activating items - especially when you're new to the game (I played as Pudge by the way)

Try using the in-game hero build guides (not the default recommended items). Click the little book icon in the top left and select one - preferably one which mentions the latest game version (6.79). They are rarely optimal builds but they will serve you very well in learning.

Pudge btw is a weird hero to build anyway. Outside of a couple obvious items I never feel like item build is all that great on him really.

It really depends on the hero, one thing to keep in mind is your damage comes from your base stats. For example Butterfly gives you 30 damage and 30 agility, but if you're an agility hero it actually gives you 60 damage because each point of agility is one damage.

For Pudge you want to build tanky so you'd want a Hood of Defiance (Which gives you magic resistance) that you can build into a Pipe of Insight (Which when activated gives you and everyone near you a shield that blocks 400 magic damage. Another thing you'd want is a Heart of Tarrasque which gives you a lot of health and regen.

Once you're more comfortable with the hero Force Staff and Blink Dagger are really good because they allow you to get into good positions for hooks

Obviously you want Boots as well but they're mostly a personal preference.

Tranquil Boots are amazing on supports but not great on carries
Power Threads are useful in that they give you attack speed and some attributes in one stat that you can change
Phase Boots can be activated to let you move faster and "phase" through units
Arcane Boots give you a lot of mana and let you give everyone around you a burst of mana when activated
Boot of Travel are great late game ones that let you teleport anywhere you have a friendly unit

Kreunt

Banned
Of course everything seems confusing and complex, you're familiar with a completely different moba. Whenever I play LoL I have to stare at the shop and read every tooltip because I don't know what anything does. These sorts of things come with time. Use the recommended items on the side will give you a headstart.

i even felt that way a bit just coming from HoN

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Shift click on an item in the shop

Down in the corner now are all the items used to make it, and whenever you get the money you can right click on one of them to buy it

Gaaraz

I don't know of anything that would be labeled as a huge tree guy with a club. Unless you were beat to death by a tree wielding rock guy.
tumblr_m6y9ujga7m1ql1gfxo1_400.gif
Ah ha! Yeah that's the one :)

Try using the in-game hero build guides (not the default recommended items). Click the little book icon in the top left and select one - preferably one which mentions the latest game version (6.79). They are rarely optimal builds but they will serve you very well in learning.
Oh, thank you! That sounds great... I was using Google but found it confusing going back and forth whilst trying to stay alive, nice that you can do it in game too.

It really depends on the hero, one thing to keep in mind is your damage comes from your base stats. For example Butterfly gives you 30 damage and 30 agility, but if you're an agility hero it actually gives you 60 damage because each point of agility is one damage.
Oh I see, thank you! Sounds like there were a lot of permanent boosts that I just somehow overlooked then, also some more nuanced boosts like you mentioned with agility heroes :) Thanks very much for the Pudge tips by the way, but I don't think I'll play as that character again.

Shift click on an item in the shop

Down in the corner now are all the items used to make it, and whenever you get the money you can right click on one of them to buy it
Thank you :) I was using the thing in the bottom corner to upgrade (though IMO it wasn't always too clear) but it's great to know I can shift click an item to view it in the shop (and it's upgrades etc)

btw. I always played as Master Yi on LoL, apparently Juggernaught is fairly similar, but from the character select screen there were only 3 guys available... what's the deal with that?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
TBH CM's ult has been buffed repeatedly over the past few years, her ult with scepter is absurdly powerful now, and with decent positioning you can get at least half of it off every time.

BUT BUT BUT CM NEEDS MORE MS!!! SHE WIL NEVR BE VIBLE WIT SLOW MS!!!!! ICEFRAUD Y U NO LISTEN TO UR COMMUNITY U KEEP BUFF USELESS ULT

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
btw. I always played as Master Yi on LoL, apparently Juggernaught is fairly similar, but from the character select screen there were only 3 guys available... what's the deal with that?

Sounds like you were playing Single Draft mode. Probably not the mode I'd suggest. For a new player I'd recommend Limited Heroes or Least Played.

You were queued for single draft.

I recommend playing all pick for now. Limited Heroes and least played could be good.

There are tons of melee carries like master yi, juggernaut probably good for a new player because he doesn't need too much farm to do anything crazy.

Anteo

Yo were probably playing Single Draft mode, that gives you 1 of each type of hero to play with in the match.

Try to go with other modes, as you are just starting All Pick (all the heroes) would be fine, or Random Draft (a reduced random group of heroes to pick of)
Avoid Captian Draft and Captian Mode

Edit:
Limited would be pretty good really, as you wont have to deal with lot of stuff you cant undestand

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

You can left click them in the shop to see what they are made out of, and what they build into.

And jugg may be a decent hero to try out. His spin gives magic immunity and does a good amount of damage early game (but you can't attack while spining) healing ward is a great team healing spell mid to late game, but it has 1HP, he has a passive crit which does pretty good constant dps, and his ult masks him fly though the air cutting every thing, a bit like Yi's thingy.

If you like yi's ult, try lycan. He isn't very good the first 10 minutes, but if you can get past the early game without being shutdown too hard, he is a beast. Ult turns him into a giant wolf that can't be slowed, and improves his damage.

sephi22

Oh, thank you! That sounds great... I was using Google but found it confusing going back and forth whilst trying to stay alive, nice that you can do it in game too.

Oh I see, thank you! Sounds like there were a lot of permanent boosts that I just somehow overlooked then, also some more nuanced boosts like you mentioned with agility heroes :) Thanks very much for the Pudge tips by the way, but I don't think I'll play as that character again.

Thank you :) I was using the thing in the bottom corner to upgrade (though IMO it wasn't always too clear) but it's great to know I can shift click an item to view it in the shop (and it's upgrades etc)

If you're still serious about Dota a week from now, I can queue with you and teach you the game. I know a lot, but I'm pretty crap in game, so our MMR shouldn't be too bad.

So when you say he continually summoned them what was probably happening was he had an item called a manta style where he created two illusions of himself. You can't tell which is real other than illusions take more damage and deal less.

They really need to address that. That's really important.

I could have sworn it did with having you build a bracer, but I only did the first tutorial back when it first came out so I can't recall.

It is quite easy to glance over in the tutorial I think. I believe you can just click bracer and it works.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
=
=

Yeah, basically every single item in the game that isn't a consumable mana or health potion gives passive stat boosts. Even the ones with active abilities additionally.

As for the boosts thing: strength, agility, and intelligence grant mostly the same boosts across all heroes. Strength increases max hp and hp regen rate, intel increases max mana and mana regen rate, and agility increases attack speed and armor. But in addition heroes of that class (see how they're all divided into these three categories as well) get +1 attack for every extra point in their stat they get.

Shinypogs

Jakiro is so fucking slow :( He looks so cool but feels so sluggish. It probably didn't help that I tried him out right after windrunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom